Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward (80310 Views)

How Exams Are Written In Covenant University / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (2) (3) (4)

Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Stanley4E(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2014
So that drivers ahead of it on the road can read
it (correctly) as AMBULANCE in their rear-view
mirrors, and yield the right of way.
If the word was not reversed, the drivers of the
cars ahead of the vehicle would see:
"ECNALUBMA."
Of course, if it has flashing lights and sirens
going, they would yield to it anyway. Perhaps
this was done so that drivers would not mistake
an ambulance for a police vehicle with similar
lights.

MOD please get this to front page to educate others. thanks

62 Likes

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by fijiano202(m): 11:39am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks though...i never knew that,i always wonder why.....its always good to learn new stuffs

31 Likes

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Stanley4E(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2014
fijiano202: Thanks though...i never knew that,i always wonder why.....its always good to learn new stuffs
it took me time 2 find out too, I use to think it was a mistake, not until I kept on seeing it in movies, and other places
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by ObiOkpor(m): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2014
If you are a science student,you must defenitely know about this in Physics unless you are among those that spent their school fees on women,phones and we-we.
*knew this in my first year in secondary school.

16 Likes

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by faithzy(m): 11:59am On Jul 10, 2014
this is educative.....nice

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Polaris1: 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
When you are driving in front of an Ambulance, and look in the mirror,
It is spelled correctly.
Very effective in getting drivers ahead to give way.

27 Likes

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Bilabong(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
Op tanks alot... I did not know before now. Just incase my brother kids ask me another JAMB question.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by lionelrobben: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
but i see da lights first b4 readin anytin.. isn't dat what dey r 4? grabbin of attention?

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Jammy2012(m): 12:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
Remember Plain mirror is usually laterally inverted.
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by kayultimate(m): 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nice info.
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by OgologoDimkpa: 12:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
Very educating.

Moderator, front page please.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by ggrin(f): 12:49pm On Jul 10, 2014
Mod back page pls

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Leetunechi: 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
We need this vehicle on nairaland

cus alotta dead people full here

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by jsunex(m): 1:10pm On Jul 10, 2014
I learnt dat today... gud 1 op
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by dania30(f): 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
Cool...!
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Ngseralph: 1:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
Leetunechi: We need this vehicle on nairaland

cus alotta dead people full here
lol! You are just silly

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by amnestylaw1(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2014
I had always wanted to know this. Honestly, I had thought maybe it was written in reverse so that those who have phobia for AMBULANCES or EMERGENCIES will not be caught unawares or so. cry

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by iamsegsy(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Wow! really??

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by sirwilly1(m): 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2014
ObiOkpor: If you are a science student,you must defenitely know about this in Physics unless you are among those that spent their school fees on women,phones and we-we.

Wetin this one dey talk? Your 1st yr in sec school, and you don begin do physics? So, na everybody go sabi am at once(including those wey dey dey front seat)? Why you wan show yourself here? Park well o. Dangote truck dey your back.

78 Likes

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by PrinceAdepoju(m): 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
I've never seen it written like this in Nigeria.
Our people are knowlegdeable enough to see it as an Ambulance.

Even if they are not learned, the van, siren and the red cross sign will make see it as one.
nice info though.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by cirmuell(m): 1:43pm On Jul 10, 2014
ObiOkpor: If you are a science student,you must defenitely know about this in Physics unless you are among those that spent their school fees on women,phones and we-we.
duh! undecided

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
Good Info. No knowledge is wasted.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Lilimax(f): 2:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Am not sure its written that way here o, I will check next time I come across one, you know those things are like father christmas here.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by kombats: 2:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
@Op thx. TIL
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by bastien: 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nice one, more power to ya elbow OP wink
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by dridowu: 3:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
Lilimax: Thanks for sharing.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by Kx: 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2014
"That na obodo oyibo ambulance".

Over here, I ve not noticed o.
Besides, even when ambulance drivers on lagos roads are "horning like no tommorrow" withl full light, and also shouting "give way, ambulance here" lagos "go slow"/traffic nor gree them move. Besides, lagos wawawa drivers "drags" road with ambulance and police vehicles.

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by JustCare: 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
chidyhels: Am not sure its written that way here o, I will check next time I come across one, you know those things are like father christmas here.
IT IS WRITTEN NORMALLY HERE

Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by alentyno: 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by alentyno: 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
Re: Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward by freshness2020: 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
Now I know

Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / KSU Bike Man Caught Having Sex With Mad Woman (photo) / Buhari Approves Establishment Of 6 New Federal Colleges Of Education