Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? (42639 Views)

EBOLA Is A Bio-weapon Used Against Black People To Steal Diamonds In Africa / Zodiac Traits do they really reflect in your character / Does The Kind Of News You Click First On Nairaland Reflect Your Personality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
For one to say an object shines, I think it means that object should have an energy source for it to be able to produce light. E.g Sun, Star, Lamp etc.
Reflection on the other hand means to throw back or rebound light.

Diamonds get their brilliance from three things: reflection, refraction and dispersion. Reflection is the light that hits the diamond and is immediately bounced back up, giving it an instantaneous shine.

Some people go by Rihanna's song "shine bright like a diamond". It really doesn't make sense just like when she said "like diamonds in the sky". The only way that would have made sense was if it was in reference to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Diamond is a transparent mineral. Any transparent material has a refractive index. And also they have a critical angle where light totally internally reflect on the surface. Based on these factors there is a pre-defined shape with exact angles to cut a diamond. When a diamond is cut according to these techniques it reflects light so that it appears to be shining.

Finally, do you think diamonds shine or reflect?

1 Like

Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Diamonds are cut and polished to give off high lusture or reflection.
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
Shining is an ACT of reflecting for God's sake!!!

Stop being an ignoramus

shine

to be bright with reflected light; glisten; sparkle.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shine

Full Definition of SHINE
intransitive verb

to be bright by reflection of light

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shine

Shine:
to send out or reflect light :
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/shine_1?q=shine
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nihilist: Shining is an ACT of reflecting for God's sake!!!

Stop being an ignoramus

shine

Full Definition of SHINE
intransitive verb

Shine:
Stop being the ignorant one here dude. Are you trying to say a sun, star or lamp reflects light?
Diamonds on their own dont shine because they are transparent minerals. They only reflect light.
When you term an object as shining, it means even in a very dark place you can see it.
If a diamond shines, can you see it if placed in a dark room?

N.B: You have been raising your tone and insulting indirectly from the other thread. Calm your temper as this is a discussion, else I will be forced to insult you.
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 1:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
colossus2:
Stop being the ignorant one here dude. Are you trying to say a sun, star or lamp reflects light?
Diamonds on their own dont shine because they are transparent minerals. They only reflect light.
When you term an object as shining, it means even in a very dark place you can see it.
If a diamond shines, can you see it if placed in a dark room?

N.B: You have been raising your tone and insulting indirectly from the other thread. Calm your temper as this is a discussion, else I will be forced to insult you.

There are multiple definitions of the word 'Shine' as I have pointed out to you on several occasions.

I have posted about 5 different definitions from different dictionaries to buttress my point

You are being an obtuse ignoramus and the only reason this thread exists is due to your limited grasp of the English language.

This is the last time I will explain this to you.

Look at this definition from the Oxford Dictionary:

Shine verb (past and past participle shone /ʃɒn/ or shined)
[no object]
1(Of the sun or another source of light) give out a bright light: the sun shone through the window

1.1Glow or be bright with reflected light: she brushed her hair until it shone

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shine

Example 1. The word 'shine' is defined in the context of light emission

Example 1.1 The word 'shine' is defined in the context of light reflection.

If you can not understand this, then there is nothing more I can do to educate you.
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by chukkystar(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nihilist: Shining is an ACT of reflecting for God's sake!!!

Stop being an ignoramus

shine

Full Definition of SHINE
intransitive verb

Shine:
guy stop quoting dictionary and Google d stuff up.. It is clearly stated diamonds go missing in the dark. It aint even bout insults or anything bt sometyms U just have to accept U ar wrong
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
chukkystar: guy stop quoting dictionary and Google d stuff up.. It is clearly stated diamonds go missing in the dark. It aint even bout insults or anything bt sometyms U just have to accept U ar wrong

I honestly don't know how to respond this... grin
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nihilist:

There are multiple definitions of the word 'Shine' as I have pointed out to you on several occasions.

I have posted about 5 different definitions from different dictionaries to buttress my point

You are being an obtuse ignoramus and the only reason this thread exists is due to your limited grasp of the English language.

This is the last time I will explain this to you.

Look at this definition from the Oxford Dictionary:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shine

Example 1. The word 'shine' is defined in the context of light emission

Example 1.1 The word 'shine' is defined in the context of light reflection.

If you can not understand this, then there is nothing more I can do to educate you.
You're so dense that you fail to understand anything. According to your definition now, is diamond a source of light?
Obtuse fellow
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
colossus2:
You're so dense that you fail to understand anything. According to your definition now, is diamond a source of light?
Obtuse fellow

Not my definition....The Oxford Dictionary's definition

The girl's hair in the example they gave must be a source of light too... grin grin

You are so daft cheesy
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 3:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nihilist:

Not my definition....The Oxford Dictionary's definition

The girl's hair in the example they gave must be a source of light too... grin grin

You are so daft cheesy

I thought you were smart anyway. Did you notice the [NO OBJECT] before the definition there.
My previous comment about diamonds being a source of light was based on Example 1 of your definition.
Going by Example 1.1 "the girl brushed her hair until it shone.
This should tell you that even in a dark environment, the hair was brushed until it started shining.
Substituting diamond for this sentence shows how your brain is below par in comprehension, logic and reasoning.
If you take a diamond outside when it's sunny, it will light up the whole street, but once you take it inside it's as dark as ever. The diamond was actually reflecting off the Sun.
So the girl continuously brushing her hair until it started shining doesn't mean it was a source of light. Her hair was probably dull and awkward. Then she kept brushing it until it did what?.....

Nkapi like you!!!
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 4:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
colossus2:
I thought you were smart anyway. Did you notice the [NO OBJECT] before the definition there.
My previous comment about diamonds being a source of light was based on Example 1 of your definition.
Going by Example 1.1 "the girl brushed her hair until it shone.
This should tell you that even in a dark environment, the hair was brushed until it started shining.
Substituting diamond for this sentence shows how your brain is below par in comprehension, logic and reasoning.
If you take a diamond outside when it's sunny, it will light up the whole street, but once you take it inside it's as dark as ever. The diamond was actually reflecting off the Sun.
So the girl continuously brushing her hair until it started shining doesn't mean it was a source of light. Her hair was probably dull and awkward. Then she kept brushing it until it did what?.....

Nkapi like you!!!

My Good Lord...

This level of idiocy must be spiritual grin grin
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nihilist: 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
A brief history of this interaction to viewers out there...

I made this post on a separate thread on a separate subject:

Nihilist: I'm not exactly sure why people keep hating on Covenant University though...

In the history of that Uni, I doubt that anyone has ever graduated with a 4.99 CGPA before...

I'm confident that this girl would do the business at any University in any country.

Diamonds shine no matter what

Kolo-suss the olodo quoted me with this response:
colossus2:
Diamonds don't shine niccur....they reflect.
Kapish!!!

I have now posted several English definitions from several reputable dictionaries including Oxford, Webster and Cambridge that state that the very act of light reflection is in fact called 'SHINING'

Yet this malnourished bonobo continues quote me,peddling his malignant brand of ignorance...

Kolo-suss you need deliverance grin
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 4:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nihilist: A brief history of this interaction to viewers out there...

I made this post on a separate thread on a separate subject:

Kolo-suss the olodo quoted me with this response:

I have now posted several English definitions from several reputable dictionaries including Oxford, Webster and Cambridge that state that the very act of light reflection is in fact called 'SHINING'

Yet this malnourished bonobo continues quote me,peddling his malignant brand of ignorance...

Kolo-suss you need deliverance grin
I still wonder why I am not in the mood to trade words with you. Any way I give up this moment cos obviously it won't get into your thick skull.

Diamonds shine no matter what.... even in a dark room, diamonds shine because they have become illuminators.
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Johnolis(m): 6:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
grin I think the confusion here lies on ones' discipline or field of study.Those in arts may ignorantly say that diamonds shine,but any science student that knows the properties of light,should know that diamond only reflect light as it is not a source of light energy.
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by colossus2: 6:12am On Jul 11, 2014
Johnolis: grin I think the confusion here lies on ones' discipline or field of study.Those in arts may ignorantly say that diamonds shine,but any science student that knows the properties of light,should know that diamond only reflect light as it is not a source of light energy.
Don't mind him. He doesn't want to learn. This was my submission on the other thread that led to the creation of this thread.

Don't argue na. If you don't know why not admit it. We learn everyday dude.
If you put a diamond in a very dark place, it will never be visible. Diamonds reflects light and not shine (produce light). There is no energy source in diamonds for it to shine.
Hope you understand now?
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by tck2000(m): 4:36pm On Jun 06, 2019
Reflect
Re: Do Diamonds Shine Or Reflect? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hey have you seen the 2019 united Nations Demographics?

There are 7.8Billion people on planet. (earth).
The report shows
Women = 5.6Billion
Men = 2.2Billion
So, they advised women to be careful in showing attitudes to any man because out of the 2.2 Billion men:
One billion are married already.
130 million are in prison.
70 million are mentally ill.

SEE FULL DEMOGRAPHICS HERE:-
https://043nobs.com.ng/2019/06/06/united-nations-demographics-2019/

(1) (Reply)

Man Holds Cigarette & Smokes With His Leg, Removes His Cap With His Leg (Photos) / The Hunt For Fuel In Lagos / Man Kills Python With His Motor Jack (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.