Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

When Was Ile Ife Founded? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Was Ile Ife Founded? (10155 Views)

Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Was Ile Ife Founded? by 2prexios: 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
Well I did not want to start season 2 of old nairaland, but it behooves on me to answer my friend, @kingston, so I put this forth.

Here are his question as I can recall from the old nairaland....

you know your history, so ...

1. When was Ile Ife founded?

2. What are stand-in for Yoruba oral records?

3. What is sugbo Eredo?

4. Could the people who developed these be said to be less evolved?

Ife was founded at year zero, day one, Yoruba ancestors era. To convert to Greco-Roman time, one needs to rely on Ife archeological specimen, which means we have to take the oldest sample of such specimen and determine its half life or carbon date. Whatever that is can be put in either BCE or AD, which is our (modern history) chronological time frame.

There are several stand-in for Yoruba oral records that have survive to our time, if what you mean are oral record system of the Yorubas. the list at my disposal includes and not limited to the following

1. Oriki,

2. Ayajo,

3. Ogede,

4. Ofo,

5. Ijala,

6. Aroko,

7. Oro- Ile,

8. Ifa oracular dicta.

The above are oral historical instruments that the Yoruba ancestors devised to preserve their history and enable the same permeate their progeny's lifestyle beliefs and and culture till it get to our age in modern times.

3. What is sugbo Eredo?

The first record of Sugbo Eredo came from the colonial periods, as early as 1910 thereabout. It was said to have been the work of Sugbo, an ancient woman claimed to be barren and was said to have erected the site for her remembrance. You can read more about Sugbo Eredo at Wikipedia as much as recent archeological findings around the monument.

These are unique achievements that has been accomplished by the Yoruba ancestors, but wonders of monumental proportion litters every culture, hence the old world compiled her seven wonders of the world. Have we found or credited the builders of Stonehenge? how about the sphinx and the hanging garden of babylon and the wall of china?

If the above make us more evolve than others, then we are people before our time, and if we are hooked to the past glory and praise the ancestors, what will the ancestors praise about us, that we don't care to put up a new world wonder may mean we are retrogressing, on backward-spiral.

4 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Omexonomy: 7:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
The study of the past will make us know the answer to the present and able to determine the future.

4 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by kingston277(m): 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
2prexios:

Ife was founded at year zero, day one, Yoruba ancestors era. To convert to Greco-Roman time, one needs to rely on Ife archeological specimen, which means we have to take the oldest sample of such specimen and determine its half life or carbon date. Whatever that is can be put in either BCE or AD, which is our (modern history) chronological time frame.
It was actually founded in 300BCE. Nice try though.
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008915

There are several stand-in for Yoruba oral records that have survive to our time, if what you mean are oral record system of the Yorubas. the list at my disposal includes and not limited to the following

1. Oriki,

2. Ayajo,

3. Ogede,

4. Ofo,

5. Ijala,

6. Aroko,

7. Oro- Ile,

8. Ifa oracular dicta.

The above are oral historical instruments that the Yoruba ancestors devised to preserve their history and enable the same permeate their progeny's lifestyle beliefs and and culture till it get to our age in modern times.
Ok.

3. What is sugbo Eredo?

The first record of Sugbo Eredo came from the colonial periods, as early as 1910 thereabout. It was said to have been the work of Sugbo, an ancient woman claimed to be barren and was said to have erected the site for her remembrance. You can read more about Sugbo Eredo at Wikipedia as much as recent archeological findings around the monument.
A beauty isn't it.

These are unique achievements that has been accomplished by the Yoruba ancestors, but wonders of monumental proportion litters every culture, hence the old world compiled her seven wonders of the world. Have we found or credited the builders of Stonehenge? how about the sphinx and the hanging garden of babylon and the wall of china?

If the above make us more evolve than others, then we are people before our time, and if we are hooked to the past glory and praise the ancestors, what will the ancestors praise about us, that we don't care to put up a new world wonder may mean we are retrogressing, on backward-spiral.
I never said anything about evolution let alone who is more evolved than who. That and the biological race notion as we see it today is a myth scientists have debunked several times over. Please, it's time to focus on ways to develop Nigeria, not silly eugenics practices.

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by 2prexios: 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
kingston277:
It was actually founded in 300BCE. Nice try though.
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008915

Ok.

A beauty isn't it.

I never said anything about evolution let alone who is more evolved than who. That and the biological race notion as we see it today is a myth scientists have debunked several times over. Please, it's time to focus on ways to develop Nigeria, not silly eugenics practices.
I concur. Backward never, forward ever. All that the ancestors ask from us is to make our world more beautiful than they left it: 'e saye e re kodara.' Spiting, whining, wimpy comparism or embracing developed worlds, and apparent-denial of areas begging for improvements does not change our predicament.

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2014
Ife was founded by Igbos aboriginal to that area. Then the Yorubas took over, via Oduduwa and Queen Moremi. If the Igbo King of Ife hadn't fallen for Moremi, the secret of his warriors would not have been known to the Yorubas. Well, the rest is history.

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by ebankole: 11:34pm On Jul 12, 2014
igbodefender: Ife was founded by Igbos aboriginal to that area. Then the Yorubas took over, via Oduduwa and Queen Moremi. If the Igbo King of Ife hadn't fallen for Moremi, the secret of his warriors would not have been known to the Yorubas. Well, the rest is history.
LoL...this is so delusional.
My Gosh. ooo

11 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by kbshow100(m): 7:07am On Jul 13, 2014
How that one take concern me??
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Krak(m): 7:08am On Jul 13, 2014
igbodefender: Ife was founded by Igbos aboriginal to that area. Then the Yorubas took over, via Oduduwa and Queen Moremi. If the Igbo King of Ife hadn't fallen for Moremi, the secret of his warriors would not have been known to the Yorubas. Well, the rest is history.

When will this your movie be released? I want to buy some copies just to help you a little.

10 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:16am On Jul 13, 2014
Omexonomy: The study of the past will make us know the answer to the present and able to determine the future.
when u finish deluding urself, call me at the sexuality section of nairaland.

See, if u like, study the past, the present will once remain a future. And the funniest thing abt the future is: it's evolving, changing, unpredictable....

So, u can't even determine the present cos the present we are currently in was once a mysterious future, and as u're reading this, the next second of time is also a future u can never determine.

Wen we make the right plans and they go through, it was because they were suppose to go through... if they don't, they were never supposed to be.

We can only try, prediction remains a mystery...the right prediction is pure luck!!!!

Take it or leave it

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Omexonomy: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: when u finish deluding urself, call me at the sexuality section of nairaland.

See, if u like, study the past, the present will once remain a future. And the funniest thing abt the future is: it's evolving, changing, unpredictable....

So, u can't even determine the present cos the present we are currently in was once a mysterious future, and as u're reading this, the next second of time is also a future u can never determine.

Wen we make the right plans and they go through, it was because they were suppose to go through... if they don't, they were never supposed to be.

We can only try, prediction remains a mystery...the right prediction is pure luck!!!!

Take it or leave it
smoking of dry pig sh.it is highly derimental to the smokers. So stop smoking and drinking enthanol. Ask musiwa about the side effect
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Sciencs(m): 7:43am On Jul 13, 2014

6 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by fattbabakay(m): 7:51am On Jul 13, 2014
Ile-Ife in Nigeria??
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by ednut1(m): 7:51am On Jul 13, 2014
ask d gods

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by pelvicky(m): 7:57am On Jul 13, 2014
wetin i wan say self,,,na God knw d tym jare
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Akshow: 8:00am On Jul 13, 2014
fattbabakay: Ile-Ife in Nigeria??
No, the one in Brazil.

3 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Ayorindedele(m): 8:08am On Jul 13, 2014
Ask ifa ;DAsk ifa
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by fattbabakay(m): 8:10am On Jul 13, 2014
Akshow: No, the one in Brazil.
ok
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:15am On Jul 13, 2014
If not that you are sick & seriously in need of blood transfusion. You won't type like an epileptic patient!
Last Bullet
You should also drink this thick zobo...

Igboland was founded by Moremi's 1st child Arochukwu.
Moremi, an Ife royal went to Igboland & married Amadioha (now the god of thunder & lightning). They also gave birth to other children like Anyanwu, Ala. Ala later became the goddess of fertility.
One day, Arochukwu impregnated Ala, she gave birth to triplets. These children became the ancestors of all Ibo people including Owerri, Enugu, Ebonyi, Mbaise.
The rest is history...
How does that taste?
Hope you enjoyed the story?

6 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Donkunxex(m): 8:37am On Jul 13, 2014
igbo defender ko,igbo striker ni..dey dere dey giv igbo hope say na dem find ile-ife..lol..

4 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Isiterere(m): 8:47am On Jul 13, 2014
some comment on this thread can makes someone pee for pant..... nairaland putting smile on the face of frustrated Nigerians .

ALL IZZ WELL

5 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by BUSHHUNTER: 8:50am On Jul 13, 2014
Brb
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by BUSHHUNTER: 9:02am On Jul 13, 2014

4 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by amnestylaw1(m): 9:16am On Jul 13, 2014
fattbabakay: Ile-Ife in Nigeria??
No, the one in Morocco. tongue
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by fattbabakay(m): 9:36am On Jul 13, 2014
amnestylaw1:
No, the one in Morocco. tongue
ok grin

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by MillionDollars: 9:55am On Jul 13, 2014
Before jesus was born!!!!!
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Frenchkiss564: 9:56am On Jul 13, 2014
the bolded is right but the igbo is not the ndi igbo of southwest. They are called ugbo people, they are the same people we call the ilaje people in onda state today. Ugbo kingdom is in ondo state, ife is owned by these people that is why ife is called ife ooyelugbo
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by echobee(f): 10:18am On Jul 13, 2014
i swear,u no sound upstairs angry angry angry. Oloshi
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by StevenJay01(m): 10:25am On Jul 13, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:
If not that you are sick & seriously in need of blood transfusion. You won't typed like an epileptic patient!
Last Bullet
You should drink this thick zobo...

Igboland was founded by Moremi's 1st child Arochukwu.
Moremi, an Ife royal went to Igboland & married Amadioha (now the god of thunder & lightning). They also gave birth to other children like Anyanwu, Ala. Ala later became the goddess of fertility.
One day, Arochukwu impregnated Ala, she gave birth to triplets. These children became the ancestors of all Ibo people including Owerri, Enugu, Ebonyi, Mbaise.
The rest is history..

Pls dont make shit for pant. Haba wetin una dey smoke for nairaland. I dont laff tire sote I mess and shit come out

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by musiwa112: 10:55am On Jul 13, 2014

2 Likes

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by logica(m): 11:34am On Jul 13, 2014
I think you would "defend" your ethnic group better if you can assemble a coherent history of your people; rather than "attaching" to Yoruba history and thereby making a mockery of yourself and your ethnic group. Yoruba history is freely available and readily accessible, that is why you ignorantly relate the "Igbo" ( meaning "bush" ) people in the Narrative of Queen Moremi to your people. The nearest link Yorubas have with the Igbos of South East Nigeria can only be traced to the period in which both groups must have migrated out of the Niger-Congo region (which will account for why both ethnic groups share similar names for facial features like eyes, nose, mouth, etc).

1 Like

Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by Brymo: 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
house of love, ile ife
Re: When Was Ile Ife Founded? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
StevenJay01:

Pls dont make shit for pant. Haba wetin una dey smoke for nairaland. I dont laff tire sote I mess and shit come out
I was only replying that boy's fallacious statement!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Must Nigerians Abroad Marry Nigerians? / King Jaja Of Opobo / Who Are The Ebiras?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.