Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:03 PM

Acute Toxicity Test! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Acute Toxicity Test! (611 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acute Toxicity Test! by philmimi1992(m): 5:36pm On Jul 10, 2014
Pls who in d house can assit with better tips on how to carry out an acute toxicity test using plant materials on fish, and how to calculate probit analysis? Tanx in anticipation!
Re: Acute Toxicity Test! by kayjegs: 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2014
I can assist you. I will post details here when power is up for my laptop.
Re: Acute Toxicity Test! by philmimi1992(m): 11:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
kayjegs: I can assist you. I will post details here when power is up for my laptop.
thanks in anticipation!
Re: Acute Toxicity Test! by kayjegs: 9:14am On Jul 12, 2014
Sorry for the late response.

This is a branch of ecotoxicology. Acute toxicity means short and sharp response which is most of the times charcaterized by mortality.
Now, what you do is to first conduct a range findig test for the plant material or you read up the LC50 or EC50 values of the plant material from literature online or something. These options will guide you on the concentrations of the plant materials you are to expose the fish to.
Range finding test is usually done exposing the fish to wide range of concentrations e.g 0 mg/l (which is the control), 10 mg/l, 100 mg/l, 1000 mg/l, 10,000 mg/l for about 21 days. If for your range finding test, you discover that many fishes, say 90% died at about 1000 mg/l. Then it means you may limit your definitive test to around 1200 mg/l as the highest concentration which you know that at that concentration you are likely to obtain a 100% mortality.
For your definitive test, you will now have to choose concentrations such as 0 mg/l, 75 mg/l, 300 mg/l, 1200 mg/l. They must be multiples of each other. In this case, they are just multiples of 4.

If from literature, the LC50 of the plant material on fish is about 600 mg/l then your highest concentration for a definitive test should be round 1200 mg/l, if the LC50 is around 300 mg/l then your highest concentration for a definitive test should be around 600 mg/l.

In carrying out a definitive test, you expose these fishes to the concentrations of the plant material you have chosen. The fishes used must be of the same age. The fishes would have been in the laboratory in the water you are to use for the test for at least 2 weeks to acclimatize. Take note that within 2 weeks if you record more than 10% mortality, then that water is not to be used. Make sure, mortality does not exceed 10% to be sure your test is carried out well. And also take note that you maintain a constant temperature of the water, determine the BOD and other water physico-chemical properties before the test and even during the test. This will make up part of your observations.

For each concentrations, use 2 replicates of 10 fishes each. Check everyday to remove the dead fishes and take recordings every day.
After about 21 days of testing you can run your observations in specialized softwares which can do a probit analysis for you. I think PASS software can do that. Or you can use the R programme to run your test. If you cant use the R program, you can use the Trimmed Spearman Karber Program to analyze your result.
Re: Acute Toxicity Test! by kayjegs: 9:15am On Jul 12, 2014
I can send you a doc that can help if I have your email.
Re: Acute Toxicity Test! by philmimi1992(m): 11:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
kayjegs:
I can send you a doc that can help if I have your email.
my E-mail is davsinlov@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

EKSU Students Currently Protesting GST Fee Increment #EKSU Says No. / Social Network And The Failure Of 'punctuation Mark' Usage / Submitting A Blank Sheet Or Writing Anything, Which Is Better In An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.