Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (118681 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
Pls U guys should stop.
Seeeeeeee: Not funny try harder next time tongue Didn't ask of your dad cos I know you don't have, product of your kobo kobo prostitute mum. Your mum told you that your father died is cover up, ask her of your dad relation. You being born was a mistake.lol
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by chimaude: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
obakovich:
Just be on the look outn had d same issue did all that in Maritime Academy Ghana and no Job. A friend called me to start as a motorman in a land rig and d rest is history
Tnx Bro, God bless U for d advice, suppose any related position comes out in Ur company, just mail me, I will senda CV if required. my BBM 7C15D1D1
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 5:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
modewap: Please sir, what is the difference between mechanical engineering and product engineering? Or is product engineering a sub department under mechanical engineering?
Production Engineering stands on it own. Under prd.engine, u have Manufacturing and Industrial. Mechanical to me,falls under manufacturing engineering,cox it involves Design and fabrication. While industrial deals with management of people/engineer in d industry. Industrial also involves operation research,i.e looking 4 better means of carry out tasks and jobs without compromising the Standards. In other news,production Engineering is the mother of all engineering,cos it encompasses all engineering.I stand to be corrected
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2014
modewap: Please sir, what is the difference between mechanical engineering and product engineering? Or is product engineering a sub department under mechanical engineering?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by CzarChris(m): 5:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
Wiinnd: what are you currently doing now sir?
To be honest, I feel awkward when people call me sir embarassed , cos I'm still like a year away from my 30th birthday, but its all good grin
Well to answer your question, I co-run an engineering consulting firm, and I also lecture at a federal university in Nigeria.
No more unnecessary risk.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
CzarChris: To be honest, I feel awkward when people call me sir embarassed , cos I'm still like a year away from my 30th birthday, but its all good grin
Well to answer your question, I co-run an engineering consulting firm, and I also lecture at a federal university in Nigeria.

Nice, very Nice. grin

Permit me to call you "Sir", Sir, I intend to pm you but I want to be sure it is ok by you. Thanks.

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
CzarChris: To be honest, I feel awkward when people call me sir embarassed , cos I'm still like a year away from my 30th birthday, but its all good grin
waoo! U already lecture at ur age? Manh! At wat age did u even start The offshore job?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by CzarChris(m): 5:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
Wiinnd: waoo! U already lecture at ur age? Manh! At wat age did u even start The offshore job?
I started working as a contract staff by 23, but I actually started by 22 it doesn't count cos I was free lanceing then for an oil servicing company while still serving, but it helped me gather experience and some inside sources that told me when to strike(if you know what I mean) grin

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 6:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
Wiinnd: Then, how did u now know u've bin invited for the test next week?
it was from a nairalander that i had it o..do u have any info abt dis next batch?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by segzysexy(m): 6:52pm On Aug 11, 2014
segzysexy: it was from a nairalander that i had it o..do u have any info abt dis next batch?
i jst got a mail frm total inviting me for the exam which is to take place on saturday.please do u know the format of how total set their exam for i.t student?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by salamso96: 7:13pm On Aug 11, 2014
massmedia:

iz this amusa opeyemi of OBMS ringroad ibadan,,alimi john friend??

wow. dont tell me I know OBMS well. am a confirm IB boy. i rep Kambridge college oni&sons. OBMS girls are bad!!! I had one there too
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by conyema12(m): 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2014
udz: Good to hear, U have moved up in ur career cos I followed ur thread abt a yr ago on a career decision U wanted to make. Nwa afo, ur boy nokwa ya.

thank you. We have nothing more to do apart from pushing hard.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
eezor: i work on offshore platform. ADAX'S RIG precisely. i shuttled between AD10 AND H.L7( High land 7). its interesting anyway, but it is very risky and dangerous. everything is provided for u to be happy wen u r on board. food, satellite tv, internet, recreations, etc. its pretty nice anyway. i love it but wish to stop in the future. tire of flying every now and then. i just need to set up my company and stop in the future.

on the rig very close to cameroon
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by salamso96: 7:30pm On Aug 11, 2014

I think mechanical is kind of completely different from productions. same courses might be offered from 100-300level. but theres vivid difference in 400level. Because by then, you get to strictly face what u are studying...

But In a situation where by One does Mechanical Nd product. thats double honour Two in one degree. both its really over load.

In my school, lectures tell the students that 2.1 @ the course is equal to 1st class in any mech eng in any naija university. ATBU is only uni that does such a crazy combo except from Enugu state uni i think. But here is really mad!

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 11, 2014
Osama10: This is my sixth year working offshore, it's ok but a very risky job.

Planning seriously about something else which is not going to keep me away from my family. wink

Thanks for planning to resign so others can also have chance for employment. With bokus amount paid to oil workers, i do not see reasons why they shld work beyond 5yrs or at most 7yrs. You work, gather the necessary money and open your company and resign. Simple! As a blessed son of an oil producing state, i strongly believe God is gonna bless me with one soon and i cant work beyond 7yrs when i will resign and run my company.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by nomabeeee(f): 8:11pm On Aug 11, 2014
davide470: Did BOSIET in 2012, sponsored though. But at this moment, its gathering dust at home. Any help in this regard would not be bad smiley

The major things I miss offshore are the beautiful nurses grin and the drills.
beautiful nurses ehh..ur wife mxt hear this..lol
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Osama10(m): 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
RedBenson:
Thanks for planning to resign so others can also have chance for employment. With bokus amount paid to oil workers, i do not see reasons why they shld work beyond 5yrs or at most 7yrs. You work, gather the necessary money and open your company and resign. Simple! As a blessed son of an oil producing state, i strongly believe God is gonna bless me with one soon and i cant work beyond 7yrs when i will resign and run my company.

wink
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: Incase any of you is looking for a wife. I'm available grin cheesy grin grin grin

U marry oil worker abi? See ur mouth. Ur boyfriend wey still dey hustle for Ikorodu, u no wan marry that one abi?

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
Guys please enlighten me on this. I know Oceanographers work in oil rigs. What are really thier main duties there? Do they work as divers? If not, what are also the real work of divers?

Oga osama10, wiinnd, david...etc, abeg make una reply. Thanks.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by salamso96: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2014
RedBenson:

U marry oil worker abi? See ur mouth. Ur boyfriend wey still dey hustle for Ikorodu, u no wan marry that one abi?

laff won kill me die. All these funny comments.... mehn! una no go kill person....
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
Sir, pls can I PM U ?
conyema12:

thank you. We have nothing more to do apart from pushing hard.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria: The good thing about nairaland is you’ll never know me so I can write everything and not worry about my identity.
I work offshore and my Wife works offshore(Sub-sea Engineer). I work 2weeks tour while she works 4weeks tour.
The surest way of working offshore is to graduate first Class Engineering/Geo Sciences. My Wife had a first Class Chemical Engineering and Mine is Electronics. Production Oil companies won’t even invite you for Aptitude test if you do not have a 2-1 that is 4.0 and above. And now we have a lot of Nigerians with masters from UK, so its becoming harder for them to employ people with first degree. Now I am assuming you don’t have connections and your Parents are as broke as mine were when they were sending me to school. So that is one path to working offshore and I will call these people employed directly by the Oil companies as Level 1.
Another path is to be a Technical Non-Pro, eg. Cook, Secretary, medical, laundry, welder, painter, deck hands, etc… To make it easier, I will label this Level 2. Most of these people are on contract so they don’t get same level of compensation.
Eg. The average cook/laundry staff earns 840,000/yr
Average Technical Support eg. Pipe fitter/secretary/Welder etc will earn 4-8million a year
But the level 1 guys earn more.
Eg. Personally I earned a total remuneration of 32million last year and my wife Earned 23million last year. (I work for the majors while my Wife works for a Drilling Company – the majors(Exxonmobil / Total/ Shell / Chevron / Agip) always pay more than the drilling (Schlumberger / Transocean / Halliburton)
So the first thing I want those who want to work offshore to do is decide what type of job they want to do offshore. Do you want to be Level 1 or Level 2?
Personally, I have 15yrs of experience and I work in a production company so I am high paying. I don’t think there is anybody within my team including the 2year olds who earns a TR of less than 20million.
So I will encourage you guys to go back to your books and read them so hard.
For me the best part of working offshore is the 2weeks off. I will not transfer to the office for a 200% increase in wages and maybe its because I started working offshore when I was 18. Plus I work on measurement and control systems, so I don’t do any physical work like my folks in mechanical who have to work on pumps, so I am on the best job in the world right now. Also, the Time off allows me to spend time on my other endeavors and For me that is the best part of working offshore. Note: My Wife hates it, but because I am away half of the time, she is managing the job until she can go back to school for her masters.
I hope this adds a different perspective to the conversation.

Bros, i doff my cap for u o. RESPECT!

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 11, 2014
RedBenson:

Hehehehe, don't worry i'll give my ikorodu boyfriend moni 2 4get abt me tongue tongue tongue
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
Chrisbenogor:
Everything makes sense except this
32 - 15 = 17 ( so at least after NYSC)
17- 1 = 16 ( Finished Uni at 16 with 1st Class in Electronics Engineering)
16 - 5 = 11 ( 5 years to study Electronics Engineering )
11 - 6 = 5 ( got into secondary school at 5)
5 -6 = -1 undecided undecided undecided undecided

Na why I fail for school well well undecided undecided, I know say na night school I go but no vex bros help me explain am.

Bros, i fit laff die. Anyways, am still reading further to witness his rebuttal. Nice analysis though.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
ibkgab001: would like to know more about this... but i`m afriad of Niger Delta millitant rascals

Actually, this is why we started the militancy of a thing...to scare away gold diggers and unwanted people like you. Feeling fulfilled now.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
volihove: How does a graduate in accountiNg com into this party. I love to have a share of this off shore pari

hahahahahahahaha, your head dey there. Everybody wan chop oyel money. Nigerians, una funny die.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 11:13pm On Aug 11, 2014
segzysexy: i jst got a mail frm total inviting me for the exam which is to take place on saturday.please do u know the format of how total set their exam for i.t student?
chai.. May be dey sent me mail too oo. And my mail don block.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 12, 2014
I WORK OFFSHORES, I SMILE ONCE A MONTH AND THATS ON PAY DAY. FOLKS DONT BE DECEIVED, IT AINT ALL ROSY LIKE THEY CLAIM. HOME IS HOME, I INTEND QUITING AFTER TEN YEARS. THERE IS THIS TRAIN THAT MAJORITY THAT RETIRE AFTER OVER THIRTY YEARS DIE WITHIN FEW YEARS BECAUSE OF ACCUMULATED STRESS AND ILL DIETS THATS DIFFICULT TO SUSTAIN AFTER REITREMENT. B.I.G SAID IT ALL, THE MORE MONEY YOU MAKE THE MORE PROBLEMS YOU WILL SEE.

5 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by ibkgab001: 3:25am On Aug 12, 2014
Now I see more reasons why God is against you people despite been blessed with more resources your Parents wandering around the street to get 1 tin cup of Garri to survive ... Hold on to your God vengeane there is always a way for us who trust and have Faith in Him
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by cremeandchic: 7:46am On Aug 12, 2014
ibkgab001: Now I see more reasons why God is against you people despite been blessed with more resources your Parents wandering around the street to get 1 tin cup of Garri to survive ... Hold on to your God vengeane there is always a way for us who trust and have Faith in Him

What is dis one saying? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 8:32am On Aug 12, 2014
ibkgab001: Now I see more reasons why God is against you people despite been blessed with more resources your Parents wandering around the street to get 1 tin cup of Garri to survive ... Hold on to your God vengeane there is always a way for us who trust and have Faith in Him
Le kwe nu diz one o!
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by bigcycs: 8:42am On Aug 12, 2014
Any advice for a petroleum engineer seeking an oil and gas job? Like trainings that can boost ones chances as well as where to do this trainings in Nigeria , I am a petroleum engineer got my 2,1 degree way back in 2010 and served in 2012
.. been unlucky not to be able to land a job since after service 3rd year counting and needless to say I am in my late twenties so I kind of feel like age is no more on my side. I've attempted dozens of job exams and never gotten past the first stage , maybe I ain't smart enough or maybe I need to chart a different course to achieve my goals.
There are a cocktail of certification courses and all seem to offer potential to a job seeker but due to the pausity of funds I will appreciate if someone experienced advices me on the best possible course of action to take at this time.
I did get the stcw at chakins ph cuz a friend advices me he could link me up with a job if I had that but yeah it never happened so that certificate is as good as useless to me now .
I see there are a lot of guys in here who have worked offshore for a long time and I believe someone can drop info that will come in handy

Unemployment is a really bad thing to happen to a man and I believe it has driven me to the edge and right now I don't know what gives me the drive to keep going forward it has shown me the two extremes. Extreme dissapointment that nearly drives one to depression as well as extreme determination to succeed nonetheless and I believe it's this determination that has kept me going so far it might sound untrue to many but the money has never been my motivation, it has always been a side attraction when I think of working in the oil and gas industry it's the passion for the activities , anytime I come across a thread like this ,I feel like yeah this is what I want but can't have. I feel like contributing meaningfully but have nothing meaningful to say so I sit back and gobble down testimonies of others .. crazy right ?

The fact remains my goal right from time has always been to become a successful petroleum engineer and this has eluded me up until now

I need help /advice ..anybody feels touched enough to drop me a hint I will appreciate . Thanks in advance

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (26) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.