Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? (900 Views)

Join The Clarion Call: Seun, Add A 'dislike' Button To Every Topic Or Post / Whatsapp Adds Free Voice Calling Feature For Its New Release / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 9:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
From a thread that talks about suggesting new features on Nairaland ( https://www.nairaland.com/1805259/thread-new-features-want-nairaland ), i've seen that the yell for a dislike feature is at its peak. Personally i think its not needed, but after reading some comments there, am on the brink of making a change. Inorder to get issues straight and inorder to tackle this matter well, hence the creation of this thread.

Fellow NLers what do u think about suggesting a dislike feature to Oga Seun for Nairaland: the bad the good and the ugly.

1 Like

Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Donkunxex(m): 9:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
dis forum is gradually turning into a social network!
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2014
Its more than a social network.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Supported
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
kovak: Supported
Why sir, do u have concised and tangible reasons?
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by guente02(m): 10:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
IMHO I don't see the need to introduce that option. My reason is that if your post doesn't get any like, its left to you to think maybe many peeps didn't read it or they dont fancy it getting their like. But if the admin enacts this it may lead to one having some sort of low self esteem when next he/she is responding to threads on the forum. Thats just one and there are many more but will be back if it makes fp.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
Mescopaul: Why sir, do u have concised and tangible reasons?

What is like without dislike?
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Karleb(m): 11:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
No offence meant, but I think Nl having a dislike button is just too pointless.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2014
guente02: IMHO I don't see the need to introduce that option. My reason is that if your post doesn't get any like, its left to you to think maybe many peeps didn't read it or they dont fancy it getting their like. But if the admin enacts this it may lead to one having some sort of low self esteem when next he/she is responding to threads on the forum. Thats just one and there are many more but will be back if it makes fp.
Your voice dear, just hope Sir Seun is reading your comments.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 7:31am On Jul 11, 2014
kovak:

What is like without dislike?
grin grin
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2014
Karleb: No offence meant, but I think Nl having a dislike button is just too pointless.
What u call pointless may seem otherwise for someelse
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by asalimpo(m): 3:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
Stackoverflow , high traffic,many members , has a dislike feature (downvotes).
Too many downvotes never crashed a server.
Its easier to tell som1 he's talkg horse sh*t with a single click thn type.
More people will like seun /and nairaland for this one singular feature. Its long overdue.

1 Like

Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by tolu4you: 7:00pm On Jul 12, 2014
Dislike button for what.....?
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
tolu4you: Dislike button for what.....?
For disliking.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Idrismusty97(m): 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
The disadvantage of this is that too many "dislikes" in a person posts would give Nairalanders a false "1st impression" about that post, it may change their perspectives about it even if the post is reasonable. In the politic section for example you would see completely ridiculous posts having lot of "likes", why? Because it supports a person views or beliefs. If the Igbo tribe is insulted the Yorubas would rush to like that posts and vice versa. Even within political parties, APC supporters would always like the post of anyone who speaks well of them. My point is if this is done for the like button it would definitely be done for the dislike button also. Imagine an harmless sensible post about our president having 100 dislikes. We all know the amount of people who hate Jonathan in this forum is more than the people who support him. So the equation is not balance. People now use those buttons according to their emotions not logically.

I was an avid supporter of the dislike button but now i realised it is pointless for the meantime. It would only be useful when the population of Nairalanders is too damn high! Forget about the nearly 2million registered members you see at the top of the screen. The most active Nairalanders per day/Week may not be up to 20,000. When the population is very high that is when we should start thinking about the dislike button. A high population means more scammers, more trolls that would eventually overwhelm the capability of the mods. Dropping a dislike on such posts would be the best solution. If i mistakenly scroll down a lengthy post and i see "100 dislikes" i won't even bother reading it. smiley

1 Like

Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by tolu4you: 8:19am On Jul 13, 2014
Idrismusty97: For disliking.
Why disliking post.... If u dnt like my post then ignore it, simple as a b c
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by asalimpo(m): 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
Idrismusty97: The disadvantage of this is that too many "dislikes" in a person posts would give Nairalanders a false "1st impression" about that post, it may change their perspectives about it even if the post is reasonable. In the politic section for example you would see completely ridiculous posts having lot of "likes", why? Because it supports a person views or beliefs. If the Igbo tribe is insulted the Yorubas would rush to like that posts and vice versa. Even within political parties, APC supporters would always like the post of anyone who speaks well of them. My point is if this is done for the like button it would definitely be done for the dislike button also. Imagine an harmless sensible post about our president having 100 dislikes. We all know the amount of people who hate Jonathan in this forum is more than the people who support him. So the equation is not balance. People now use those buttons according to their emotions not logically.

I was an avid supporter of the dislike button but now i realised it is pointless for the meantime. It would only be useful when the population of Nairalanders is too damn high! Forget about the nearly 2million registered members you see at the top of the screen. The most active Nairalanders per day/Week may not be up to 20,000. When the population is very high that is when we should start thinking about the dislike button. A high population means more scammers, more trolls that would eventually overwhelm the capability of the mods. Dropping a dislike on such posts would be the best solution. If i mistakenly scroll down a lengthy post and i see "100 dislikes" i won't even bother reading it. smiley

hav u scrolled down a lenghty post and seen 100 likes bf? How often?
Ppl express strong disagreements, dislike has been going on already . A dislike button only adds substance to it.
2) you never know till u try. If nl experiments with dislike for a year or two and it dnt work,they can discontinue it.
3) your great post will b forgotten. 1 week after a post got a lot of dislikes,it wudve been forgotten. Ppl will get used to it.
4) posters will learn how to handle critism,thru a faceless forum which is a good thing.
When president Jonathan came to power, he was green and inexperienced. Dyu think,he is still as sensitive to critism now as he was? No. How did he learn to cope? By shuttg up all critics? No. But by being exposed to them and their scathing comments.
4) like, i said bf, life is not fair, havg a like without a correspondg dislike is hypocritcal and patronisg. By d way,which leader (president) dyu know of tht has never been spoken ill off.
Do evrything ppl want-theyll critcise you.
Do things your way-theyll critcse you.
Keep quiet -ppl will say ur too quiet.
Talk a lot - theyll say ur a parrot ;cant you b quiet for once!

Nairaland a dislike button is long overdue.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 8:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
asalimpo:

hav u scrolled down a lenghty post and seen 100 likes bf? How often?
Ppl express strong disagreements, dislike has been going on already . A dislike button only adds substance to it.
2) you never know till u try. If nl experiments with dislike for a year or two and it dnt work,they can discontinue it.
3) your great post will b forgotten. 1 week after a post got a lot of dislikes,it wudve been forgotten. Ppl will get used to it.
4) posters will learn how to handle critism,thru a faceless forum which is a good thing.
When president Jonathan came to power, he was green and inexperienced. Dyu think,he is still as sensitive to critism now as he was? No. How did he learn to cope? By shuttg up all critics? No. But by being exposed to them and their scathing comments.
4) like, i said bf, life is not fair, havg a like without a correspondg dislike is hypocritcal and patronisg. By d way,which leader (president) dyu know of tht has never been spoken ill off.
Do evrything ppl want-theyll critcise you.
Do things your way-theyll critcse you.
Keep quiet -ppl will say ur too quiet.
Talk a lot - theyll say ur a parrot ;cant you b quiet for once!

Nairaland a dislike button is long overdue.
Smh
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 8:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
Idrismusty97: The disadvantage of this is that too many "dislikes" in a person posts would give Nairalanders a false "1st impression" about that post, it may change their perspectives about it even if the post is reasonable. In the politic section for example you would see completely ridiculous posts having lot of "likes", why? Because it supports a person views or beliefs. If the Igbo tribe is insulted the Yorubas would rush to like that posts and vice versa. Even within political parties, APC supporters would always like the post of anyone who speaks well of them. My point is if this is done for the like button it would definitely be done for the dislike button also. Imagine an harmless sensible post about our president having 100 dislikes. We all know the amount of people who hate Jonathan in this forum is more than the people who support him. So the equation is not balance. People now use those buttons according to their emotions not logically.

grin grin
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 8:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
asalimpo: Stackoverflow , high traffic,many members , has a dislike feature (downvotes).
Too many downvotes never crashed a server.
Its easier to tell som1 he's talkg horse sh*t with a single click thn type.
More people will like seun /and nairaland for this one singular feature. Its long overdue.
Stackoverflow has no many sections like nairaland. They deal mainly on programming, they do not hav sections like politics, literature, jokes, etc that would hav more repercusions of a dislike button,.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by olyjosh(m): 7:46am On Jul 16, 2014
[Native Ibo pidgin ] You talk am well o my dear brother. Nna, every other forum don get ooo, Infactii, grin We even need a sympathy lipsrsealed button, ofcos some post are to bad that u will need to sympathize.

Dislike button is as necessary as like button. Otherwise let there be no like button too.

1 Like

Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by asalimpo(m): 9:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
Mescopaul: Stackoverflow [b]has no many sections [/b]like nairaland. They deal mainly on programming, they do not hav sections like politics, literature, jokes, etc that would hav more repercusions of a dislike button,.

There is StackOverflow for different fields.
Math,programming,electronics,computer-science,cooking (yes,cooking!).
And its structure is d same for all (upvotes ,downvotes - similar dislike widget- ).
Besides does the validity of a dislike/like feature require tht a site have many sections ?
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by asalimpo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 16, 2014
While we are at it. Y doesnt Nl jump d gun and create up 5 or more consensus buttons(like,dislike etc).
Why wait for som site to innovate first then copy.
This things ar just ways for readers to provide feedback on a post. They can like or agree with u, disagree(dislike), get pissed of , pull shirt (for you) - fully agree,
be a lil doubtful (partial agree) etc. Y not giv the reader more options. Mayb ditch the "like" , dislike words. If you spoke crap , i dont "hate" u which is wat the reader may interprete with a "dislike" point.
S.O (stackoverflow) use "voting" instead of like /dislike.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 9:54am On Jul 17, 2014
olyjosh: [Native Ibo pidgin ] You talk am well o my dear brother. Nna, every other forum don get ooo, Infactii, grin We even need a sympathy lipsrsealed button, ofcos some post are to bad that u will need to sympathize.

Dislike button is as necessary as like button. Otherwise let there be no like button too.
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Sympathise) grin grin
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 10:09am On Jul 17, 2014
asalimpo:

There is StackOverflow for different fields.
Math,programming,electronics,computer-science,cooking (yes,cooking!).
And its structure is d same for all (upvotes ,downvotes - similar dislike widget- ).
Besides does the validity of a dislike/like feature require tht a site have many sections ?
A site with many sections, the dislike button could somehow become a tool used in pulling down, or relegating opponent's posts to the background though it may seem very vital, eg in the Politics sections. Jealousy can also make membrs dislike one's trending thread, and i remembr someone said here that he would have no business with a thread that has say 100 dislikes.

1 Like

Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by losprince(m): 5:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
heck no!!!

reason: people will abuse it.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 10:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
losprince: heck no!!!

reason: people will abuse it.
like seriously
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by asalimpo(m): 11:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
Mescopaul: A site with many sections, the dislike button could somehow become a tool used in[b] pulling down, or relegating opponent's posts to the background [/b]though it may seem very vital, eg in the Politics sections. Jealousy can also make membrs dislike one's trending thread, and i remembr someone said here that he would have no business with a thread that has say 100 dislikes.

a polarising post will generate strong feelings of approval and disapproval - which is wat communication is all about.
Givg ppl d avenue to vent their disapproval ,only enhances communication. It makes communctn more sincere. Thts all NL shud b for not 1-sided,feedbck.
All u see is d abuse you dont see d use and benefit.
Like i said,S.O has dislike and posters use it.
Eventually,ppl will get used to it,and the sting wont hurt as much. No prominent person ever was without critcs.
Amazon has graded reviews. And som ppl say they wish there was were able to giv zero stars to a product others say they wish they cud giv 10 stars! Still on d same amazon. Now can u imagine amazon without d revws?
Ur post is a product readers consume giv them a medium to express their sincere feedbck-even if it hurts- thts maturity. And NL will b better off for it.
(quote)(report)
(like: intoto, applaud, nod,pullingShirt4you,youSpokeMyMind,CanIHaveYourAutograph!)

(dislike: frown,disgusted,ravg mad,mildly disagree,capital nonsense,thisPosterIsanIdiot!,thisPostWasWrittenByAMonkey)

. Omo! No forum has this range yet. Implement this and see wat will happen to NL. NL will really come alive. Discussions will strted and partcpated in.
Re: Suggesting A Dislike Feature For Nairaland: What's Your Take? by Mescopaul(m): 12:02am On Jul 18, 2014
asalimpo:

a polarising post will generate strong feelings of approval and disapproval - which is wat communication is all about.
Givg ppl d avenue to vent their disapproval ,only enhances communication. It makes communctn more sincere. Thts all NL shud b for not 1-sided,feedbck.
All u see is d abuse you dont see d use and benefit.
Like i said,S.O has dislike and posters use it.
Eventually,ppl will get used to it,and the sting wont hurt as much. No prominent person ever was without critcs.
Amazon has graded reviews. And som ppl say they wish there was were able to giv zero stars to a product others say they wish they cud giv 10 stars! Still on d same amazon. Now can u imagine amazon without d revws?
Ur post is a product readers consume giv them a medium to express their sincere feedbck-even if it hurts- thts maturity. And NL will b better off for it.
(quote)(report)
(like: intoto, applaud, nod,pullingShirt4you,youSpokeMyMind,CanIHaveYourAutograph!)

(dislike: frown,disgusted,ravg mad,mildly disagree,capital nonsense,thisPosterIsanIdiot!,thisPostWasWrittenByAMonkey)

. Omo! No forum has this range yet. Implement this and see wat will happen to NL. NL will really come alive. Discussions will strted and partcpated in.
Ur post is nice. U really knw how 2 get around for sometin u want.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Set Up A STATION For Coding In Php And Mysql On My Laptop. / New To Java / Premium News Publishing Website For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.