Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence (703 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence by BluStreak(m): 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
During my check to ascertain why my car temperature rises way above half - about 3/4 on the temp dial, I found out that, my radiator upper and lower hose get warm at the same time meaning their is flow of water the moment the engine starts running. Does it mean there is no thermostat in the car? Ordinarily, I expected one side to remain cold since the thermostat stands as a barrier to hold back the flow of coolant pending when the car has reached operating temperature.
Re: Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence by tyoseni(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2014
BluStreak: During my check to ascertain why my car temperature rises way above half - about 3/4 on the temp dial, I found out that, my radiator upper and lower hose get warm at the same time meaning their is flow of water the moment the engine starts running. Does it mean there is no thermostat in the car? Ordinarily, I expected one side to remain cold since the thermostat stands as a barrier to hold back the flow of coolant pending when the car has reached operating temperature.
Why not remove the hose to physically confirm if the thermostat is present. For your theory, assume the thermostat is stock open it is as good as the thermostat is remove.
Re: Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence by Ikenna351(m): 3:38pm On Jul 11, 2014
tyoseni:
Why not remove the hose to physically confirm if the thermostat is present. For your theory, assume the thermostat is stock open it is as good as the thermostat is remove.

Not necessary.

Ikenna
Re: Is This A Reliable Test For Thermostat Presence by Ikenna351(m): 3:42pm On Jul 11, 2014
BluStreak: During my check to ascertain why my car temperature rises way above half - about 3/4 on the temp dial, I found out that, my radiator upper and lower hose get warm at the same time meaning their is flow of water the moment the engine starts running. Does it mean there is no thermostat in the car? Ordinarily, I expected one side to remain cold since the thermostat stands as a barrier to hold back the flow of coolant pending when the car has reached operating temperature.

You didn't state your vehicle or brand.

For Peugeots, below is the simplest method of testing presence, absence, failed or working thermostat, without bringing it out from the thermostat housing/cooling system:

http://www.peugeotowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8

Ikenna

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Recalls 8000 C-class Over Steering Wheel Fault / Advice On Honda Accord 2000 (baby Boy) / Fair Price Of 2002 Toyota RAV4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.