Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,383 members, 7,808,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? (19607 Views)

Normal Or Mini Laptop: Which One Is Better? / Palmtop Or Laptop Which One Is The Best / Classmate Pc Vs. Olpc Cm1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by jhidey08(m): 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

Not true at all, what about the Surface Pro 2 and 3? What about the Asus T300LA? What about the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. All of which come with core i5 or i7 processors. Windows tablets can easily replace laptops. They run the exact same OS with the same amount of power.
hw affordable r dey?
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Kunleskey(m): 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
Laptop all the way...
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Djtm(m): 6:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

Same here, I honestly think that Windows Tablets with Core i5 and Core i7 are the way to go. In 2015, The 2 in 1 devices will even be better. They will be on the next gen Broadwell CPUs all with Iris Graphics. I think you will be quite satisfied with what they can do. Even right now I love having a device that serves as both a Laptop and a Tablet at the same time.
the problem is, they are expensive! And they come with smaller screens too. The surface pro 3 has a 12" screen. You'd have to buy the keyboard (touchpad, or whatever they called it) separately too. I can't "replace my laptop" with anything less than 15". Until high specs, windows tablets become cheaper, laptops still rule.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by tuffgongjo(m): 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
Compact desktop.lol
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2014
Djtm:
the problem is, they are expensive! And they come with smaller screens too. The surface pro 3 has a 12" screen. You'd have to buy the keyboard (touchpad, or whatever they called it) separately too. I can't "replace my laptop" with anything less than 15". Until high specs, windows tablets become cheaper, laptops still rule.

They are not that expensive, depends on the one you are looking for. The Surface Pro 2 and 3 are expensive, not the Asus and HP variations. Yes, Lenovo's variant is expensive as well.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:18pm On Jul 12, 2014
jhidey08: hw affordable r dey?

Depends on the brand, some are top dollar.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by henryobinna(m): 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
damola1: Serve different purpose.
you sabi book jare..

tablets performance are no where close to what laptops performance. they're very well distinct in usage. only those into IT stuffs will understand
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by mikkyangel(m): 6:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
Djtm:

bros, not all are expensive..
https://www.nairaland.com/1809980/lenovo-idea-tab-7-tablet
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Djtm(m): 6:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

They are not that expensive, depends on the one you are looking for. The Surface Pro 2 and 3 are expensive, not the Asus and HP variations. Yes, Lenovo's variant is expensive as well.
post the name of the asus and hp tablets and lemme read them up. Even the surface pro 3 has a relatively small hard disk space. Laptops have better memory, larger screen size and more disk space than tablets. If you're going for a tablet that can compete with a good laptop then be ready to spend a lot.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Soneh(m): 6:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Amadaz(m): 6:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
This tablet thing is more or less useless to me... All I need is a good smartphone and a good laptop. When I'm on the go I make use of my bb and when I'm dormant I make use of my laptop. I just can't carry this tablet thing around cos of the size.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Djtm(m): 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
mikkyangel:

bros, not all are expensive..
https://www.nairaland.com/1809980/lenovo-idea-tab-7-tablet
that is a 7", android tablet now.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by IAMBREEZY: 6:34pm On Jul 12, 2014
Broke Niggas be Like..
ibe9ja: Do people still use Laptops? cheesy
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bigsteveg(m): 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

You can program on Windows Tablets.....

Well, if u had read very carefully, u would av seen dat he wrote "makes programming easier" he neva said u cant program on tablets, he only said laptop makes it easier and i kinda agree.

#team laptop all d way, tablet is for effizy

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bigsteveg(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
sexzskil: pls who knows how to install amazing spider man game on tablet? The guideline i saw on the net is too complicated.

Pc Tablet vs Laptop? I chose laptop for now,,, but i guessed it is becoming outdated, dis is 21st century mana. Very soon, tablets will be improved to be more sophisticated which may send Laptop into extinction, bet me!

Impressive, coming from a lady? So u do play spiderman game, neva knew women are also interested in such games aside zuma.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by sdavirus: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2014
When you run a business that you are on the go and need to be connected to the net 24/7, a full windows tablet-not RT, is a must have. I can't be carrying a laptop everywhere I'm going.....how long will the battery last.....I can do everything I need to do.....stay up to date, talk with clients, print via WiFi and remotely, and move around light. It all depends on what you do....for instance, a notebook is of more benefit to a programmer than a tab, cos tabs are still getting there for that profession......many of the comments in here are very very much laced with ignorance.

For me, my notebook has taken the place of a desktop.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:42pm On Jul 12, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Well, if u had read very carefully, u would av seen dat he wrote "makes programming easier" he neva said u cant program on tablets, he only said laptop makes it easier and i kinda agree.

#team laptop all d way, tablet is for effizy

How does a laptop make it any easier than a Windows Tablet? You can get a Windows Tablet with a keyboard.....
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
Djtm:
post the name of the asus and hp tablets and lemme read them up. Even the surface pro 3 has a relatively small hard disk space. Laptops have better memory, larger screen size and more disk space than tablets. If you're going for a tablet that can compete with a good laptop then be ready to spend a lot.

That's not true,

The Surface Pro 3 comes in 4 configurations (64gb SSD, 128gb SSD, 256gb SSD and 512gb SSD), I don't know about you but those are not small configurations. Also, external HDDs are inexpensive these days and quite portable. The Surface Pro 3 and all the other tablets come with 4gb of RAM (more than enough for most people) and have options to be configured with 8gb of RAM.

Read up on the Asus T300, the HP Split 13 x2, the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix, etc. I advise getting a Windows tablet with a 4gig of RAM configuration with 128 gb of SSD and then buying a 500gb external HDD if you really are in need of room.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Orikinla(m): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2014
Q1 is my own brand of multimedia Android Tablet PC you will fall in love with.
Q1 is available in LIMITED DELUXE EDITION in Gold, Silver and Bronze versions. And strictly by order.
N50, 000 only.

Screen 7” Capacitive
CPU Dual-core 1.5GHz
RAM 512M/1GB
OS Android 4.2
Display 1024*600
Storage 4G-32G
SD Support High Speed 32G
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
3G Built-in WCDMA
TV ISDVB/DVB-T/ATSC
Camera TWO
Cell phone Dual sims standby
GPS GPS+AGPS
3D Graphic1080P video decoder
Battery 2800Mha
HDMI Support
Weight 300g
Dimension 190*111*9 mm

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bigsteveg(m): 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

How does a laptop make it any easier than a Windows Tablet? You can get a Windows Tablet with a keyboard.....

Well, larger screen size, bigger memory, and how well can u run a proteus (engineering prog) on a tablet? If u want a tablet dat can match up wit a pc, be ready to spend quite a fortune which most average youths can't afford(considering d fact dat, its just a show thing for them).
For people who are saying portability? How about a mini laptop.
u cant even transfer files on a tablet to a flash drive, burn on a cd. U cant even connect a tablet to a projector(those that work in a MNC will understand this)
See, many advantages of a laptop.
Tablet is also good, but all i can see here is checking of mails, surfing of internet which blackberry, nokia phones, iphones can do.
I have a laptop, and i'll also buy a tablet soon, just to show dat i have a tablet and nowadays, people carry suitcase for hand all in d name of tablet, i wanna catch d fever cool

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by niceeric(m): 6:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
Well, the simple truth here us that as long as tablets don't have fans,they'll never be built to perform as gud as their laptop counterparts.....take for example a laptop with a core i7 chip would perform wayyyy better than a tablet with a supposed same core i7 chip in it...run a benchmark test on d two devices you'll see that a core i7 chip on a pc built to self-cool therfore well clocked to perform faster is more sophisticated can an i7 chip in an enclosed device like a tab....Don't look at specs people,look at output of d components d manufacturers use....tablets go dey fry if same components used in laptops are introduced in them.#endofstory

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by fattbabakay(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

You can program on Windows Tablets.....
"#TeamLaptop ... Makes
programming easier " ..I'm sure u ddnt see dat!
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 6:57pm On Jul 12, 2014
miracle4:
They come in different sizes and shapes and some are small enough to fit into a purse.

^ That is what the OP said about tablets? LOL
What are the different shapes that tablets come in please? cheesy grin
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by digitite: 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
With the advent of cloud computing inclusive of :

Software as a Service
Platform as a Service
Infrastructure as a Service
Desktop as a Service

What will really matter in personal computer hardware will be the CPU and GPU....
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Djtm(m): 7:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
Bawss1:

^ That is what the OP said about tablets? LOL
What are the different shapes that tablets come in please? cheesy grin
the OP probably copied the post from an american blog. Americans refer to women handbags as purse.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 7:08pm On Jul 12, 2014
youngice: until i see tablet that can play dvd cds cheesy grin

You do realise that optical drives are gradually on their way out, do you?Many new laptops are doing away with the DVD drive and only selling them as peripherals. Get with the program
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by lilyafaten: 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2014
As a programmer, I prefer laptop, it makes my coding easy for me.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2014
Djtm:
the OP probably copied the post from an american blog. Americans refer to women handbags as purse.

There aren't any other shapes that tablets come in except rectangles. For sizes yeah there are variants (7", 8", 10.1", etc) but I'm willing to bet that all tablets are rectangular.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 12, 2014
youngice: until i see tablet that can play dvd cds cheesy grin
cloud computing is the future. In another 10 years dvd drives will be totally phased out.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Djtm(m): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's not true,

The Surface Pro 3 comes in 4 configurations (64gb SSD, 128gb SSD, 256gb SSD and 512gb SSD), I don't know about you but those are not small configurations. Also, external HDDs are inexpensive these days and quite portable. The Surface Pro 3 and all the other tablets come with 4gb of RAM (more than enough for most people) and have options to be configured with 8gb of RAM.

Read up on the Asus T300, the HP Split 13 x2, the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix, etc. I advise getting a Windows tablet with a 4gig of RAM configuration with 128 gb of SSD and then buying a 500gb external HDD if you really are in need of room.
I said relatively smaller, not small. The surface pro 3, core i7, 512gb variant goes for $2,279. Thanks, I'll read up the tabs you posted.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
tablet pc or laptop it does not concern me. What concern me is
#TeamLenovoYoga
you can call it a tablet, laptop or pc

2 Likes

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Iceman296: 7:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
I'll Use Tablets When they make the ones that play CD and DVD. Until then, Still Rocking My Toshiba.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ipad 2 Vs Ipad 3 -- Spot The Difference / Cyberklock Free Browsing / ORIGINAL Iphone Battery (NOW AVAILABLE! 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6s, 7, 7s...)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.