Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs (1505 Views)

London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians / Help For Young Business Owners(entrpreneurs) / PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Jackson333(m): 2:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
Yes! And I will say it again – PayPal’s presence in Nigeria is gradually closing businesses of Nigerian internet entrepreneurs…

In the last few weeks, many would be Nigerian internet entrepreneurs and the already existing ones (including myself) were on our highest rejoicing mood singing and celebrating the arrival of PayPal in Nigeria in praises on our blogs and social media platforms space.

Unknown to many Nigerian internet entrepreneurs (bloggers, internet and information marketers to be precise) owning a Nigeria PayPal account may mean the end and closure of their life time invested online businesses!

To many of us, it was a dream come true because we thought the gateway to making and receiving payments from international online merchants was finally made available to Nigeria as a country. But little did we know how PayPal’s presence in Nigeria was going to shut down our businesses striving in Nigeria.

This was made clear when PayPal officially announced that it was going to activate the “Send Payment Only” feature for Nigeria PayPal account users.

Even when this was made known by PayPal, so many Nigerian internet marketers embraced it with the hope that in the near future PayPal will unleash its full package to Nigerians. What happens between now and that time (which I don’t really see PayPal looking into that early) is my major concern.

Before now, I used to see many shinny and must-grab offers made online by international internet entrepreneurs and after going through some of them I find them appealing and would throw my wallet at them just to have a copy of their products.

As a result, I subscribed to many of these offers and even their blogs for updates. All these years of PayPal’s absence in Nigeria, I do receive newsletters and offers in my inbox but afterwards no action was taken simply because I didn’t have the purchasing power to make payments, so at the end of the day I would have saved myself from spending my money on some of these unnecessary shinny offers.

But with “PayPal’s Buy or Pay Only” package made available to Nigeria PayPal account users, the whole story have changed! It has really changed believe me.

Here is a little of my experience on PayPal’s Presence in Nigeria lately:

Last night I visited some very good offers I bookmarked in the past with the hope of buying them via some of the companies offering PayPal services here in Nigeria (until PayPal finally arrived in Nigeria) and before you know it, I had already spent $267.50 in less than 2 hours with my new Nigeria PayPal account!

I was even ready to make more payment not until when I realized myself and paused to reflect through the actions I was taking. Remember I said these are good and appealing offers I had bookmarked in the past.

But what happened here is that having a Nigeria PayPal account has only empowered me to BUY and BUY and BUY and not SELL…

Now if you ask me that’s not entrepreneurship and that’s not what every other Nigerian internet entrepreneur should experience.

Like I said earlier, before PayPal came to Nigeria, I had to go through each product I want to buy carefully, reflect on the amount and what I would gain from using or applying it here in Nigeria before making a buying decision. Making a buying decision means I have to first contact one of the PayPal services companies I use here in Nigeria.

Now see the stages I have to pass through before making a single purchase or buying decision:

Goes through products carefully >> reflect on the amount >> think of what I will gain from using it here in Nigeria >> choose either to make a buying decision or not >> finally contact my foreign PayPal services companies in Nigeria.

Passing through these stages was stressful and time wasting but compared to my latest experience with my new Nigeria PayPal “Send Payment Only” feature account it’s far better for me since PayPal allows me to Spend Money straight from my Naira MasterCard linked to my PayPal account without a corresponding “Sell.”

Hope you now have an idea of why I labeled this article “How PayPal’s Presence in Nigeria is Closing Businesses of Nigerian Internet Entrepreneur?”

I am damn sure I am not the only Nigerian internet entrepreneur who at some point faces information over-load, even the international internet entrepreneurs do sometimes trust me on this… which is why writing this post in this era of PayPal’s presence is Nigeria is very necessary.

PayPal has only empowered you to BUY but has REFUSED to empower you to SELL

So how exactly is PayPal closing down business of Nigerian Internet Entrepreneurs?

It’s simple and it’s what you’ve been reading the past minutes! Since the internet is hardly monopolized, it means anybody can enter any market place of his choice and scoop the available monies there.

In the case of Nigerian internet market place, you as a Nigerian internet entrepreneur will lose the market to your foreign counterparts because they can now SELL DIRECT to your Nigerian customers (a thing PayPal has made possible).

What this also means is that unless you’ve got a highly creative, appealing and wonderful offer or product to sell you may never get the chance to succeed in the Nigeria internet market space.

You will agree more with me that even before now, most Nigerians feel more convinced buying from the international buddies and so they won’t have problem emptying their PayPal accounts to them this time it has been made easy for them to buy from international online merchant stores with their Naira Master and VisaCards.

What then should you do to control PayPal’s Buy and Buy offers?

The only solution is self discipline!

Yes, it’s the only thing that’s gonna save you from this PayPal Buy and Buy and Buy syndrome…

You just have to train yourself to be able to say NO to shinny offers made by these ever-fronting internet marketers (both local and international). Work on yourself to ONLY BUY or PAY for products and services that are HELPFUL to your business, finances and personal well-being.

After spending $267.50 in 1 hour 23mins, I had to caution myself and took measures that will slow me down when considering buying or paying for offers and services.

One of the measures I took was cleaning up my mail inbox by getting rid of the many useless offers and opt in subscriptions I made in the time past.

A little advice though :

Be sure of what mail you are deleting, in most cases you may have a mail carrying an offer that can change or give you a turnaround in your business. Always read through your mails before deleting irrespective of the person sending them.

Remember you once opted in, which means you saw something then which may still be of help to you. Truth is if you really know what you are doing as an internet entrepreneur, you will know these mails when they arrive in your inbox and you should take necessary actions ASAP.

Another measure I took towards ensuring a fair and just business via PayPal was changing my PayPal account password with special characters which I have to go look up each time I am faced with buying decisions. Having a simple password can lure you into buying things easily but when you remember you have to go look it up you may be saved from taking such step in between the lines…

Don’t be the next victim of PayPal Buy and Buy and Buy syndrome, always be on the lookout for what comes your way and learn how to say NO to the ones that will not add value to your life and business.

Let’s not forget easily that arguments have been raised as to the reasons why PayPal changed their mind on Nigeria, one of which was attributed to the fact that other foreign merchants like MasterCard, VisaCard, Amazon and the host of others have created their online presence in Nigeria following the exponential growth in the Nigerian internet market space. Hence, scooping part of these monies is undoubtedly part of the reasons PayPal came into Nigeria.

All the same, I still rejoice for PayPal’s presence in Nigeria and still feels it’s one of the good things that has happened to Nigerian internet entrepreneurs but until PayPal unlocks its full payment service and other features for Nigerian users to not only BUY but also SELL online let’s learn how to remain focused…

What do you think is the reason(s) why PayPal provided the “Send Money Only” feature for Nigerian users? Let’s talk about it comments…

Article Source: http://www.jackpreneur.com/paypals-presence-in-nigeria-businesses/

Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Burger01(m): 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2014
**Scratches head** angry

1 Like

Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Tonjeola1(m): 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
making sense...

1 Like

Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by twosquare(m): 4:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
Crap....na person wey get money 4 im bank account dey spend anyhow....$267..roughly ₦43000 in a hour....yẹyẹ dey smell.

1 Like

Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Jackson333(m): 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
twosquare: Crap....na person wey get money 4 im bank account dey spend anyhow....$267..roughly ₦43000 in a hour....yẹyẹ dey smell.

Funny! I understand that N43,000 in an hour sounds too way big or too good to be truth. But if you really understand the language of information and internet marketing you will know that people spend more than that amount in less than 1 hour especially when you find a working solution capable of solving people's problems. To an internet marketer, a problem solved interprets into thousands and hundreds of thousands of naira into his bank account.
Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Youngzedd(m): 8:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
Making sense.
Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by Tonjeola1(m): 1:41am On Jul 12, 2014
Jackson333:

Funny! I understand that N43,000 in an hour sounds too way big or too good to be truth. But if you really understand the language of information and internet marketing you will know that people spend more than that amount in less than 1 hour especially when you find a working solution capable of solving people's problems. To an internet marketer, a problem solved interprets into thousands and hundreds of thousands of naira into his bank account.
True talk brother
Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by DaySpringer: 5:30am On Jul 12, 2014
I like the concept of this topic
Re: How Paypal Nigeria Is Closing Businesses Of Nigerian Internet Entrpreneurs by yomalex(m): 6:53am On Apr 15, 2016
Insight

(1) (Reply)

/ Laundry And Dry Cleaning Business Consultants And Suppliers / Pls Help: GTB CHARGES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.