Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,759 members, 7,806,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

How Fast Can You Type? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Fast Can You Type? (1430 Views)

How Fast Should One Be When Typing On A Computer Keyboard? / How Fast Did You Locate Your Career On This Chat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Fast Can You Type? by cj4someone(m): 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
Recently, I added a new category I tagged ‘Little Things that Matter’ to the category section of my blog.

You see, most times we overlook, neglect or disregard certain things; we flimsily gloss over them as being trivial, infinitesimal and insignificant. Yet in the end, they turn out to be slow-downs, barriers, stumbling blocks and barricades between us and our goals, dreams and aspirations.

That is when some folks would exclaim: “I nearly got it or I was almost taken…were it not for this or that.” They would go ahead to mention such things that had stopped them.

But all along, if they had been told that such things would be a barrier to their progress, they wouldn’t have believed it.

But it’s happened to them.

Are you familiar with the scenario I have painted above? May be not. Anyway, enough of the rambling!

Back to the intended subject of this article…

How fast can you type on the computer/Laptop keyboard?

This is probably one of the things you and most computer users care-less about. You may have consciously or unconsciously reasoned that it doesn’t matter. Yet it’s one of the things that may matter so much in the end.

How do I know? Simple. I’m a computer user myself—and an enthusiastic one for that matter!

I’ve dedicated thousands of hours studying various computer programs ranging from Microsoft Office applications to web design to graphics design, and so on.

But I have done little to improve my typing speed. However, I got a wake up call the day I read about Pastor Nick—that guy without limbs. Remember him? Right? I read that he types 70 words per minute (WPM). And I was down right flabbergasted.

If you do know him, I guess you know why I was amazed? If you don’t, please run a background check on him. Google is your friend!

Ok. Back to where I strayed off.

I have always watched those who are fast typers, especially good typist, in admiration and have always wished I could type as fast as they do, but have never really done much to improve to that realm.

But this time around, I was greatly challenged. It was a severe kick in the ass that wouldn’t let me sit down and gloss over it again.

So I went down to work. And I can assure you now that after three months of little efforts, I’m better off; and my productivity when I sit down to write has also improved.

Before now, I don’t struggle with what to say, I am usually slowed down by my ability to type the words out—the reverse is now the case. So I have to balance the two.

Side Note: That implies, therefore, that I must not stop growing. And I’ve made myself the promise to never stop. You know, to be at your best, personal development should not be treated as a one off stuff.

The bottom line is—improving your typing speed may just be one way to make yourself a more valuable person. Your anticipated breakthrough might just depend on it, especially if your job depends on computers.

Ok. Let’s then consider…

How to Improve Your Typing Speed

Sure, it’s going to be different stroke for different people. But here are some ideas and recommendations …

Hand and Finger placement

First of all, you’ve to learn the proper way to position your hand on the keyboard, placing your fingers on the right keys. Yes, right keys! Some fingers are meant to be on certain keys.

For instance, the left hand is meant for A, S, D and F keys, while the right hand is meant to be on J, K, L, and colon/semi-colon keys (: ; ) while typing.

The first four fingers are called the index, the middle, the ring and the little finger respectively.

And of course…the thumb; the two thumbs are used on the space bar—the space bar is the longest key on the keyboard; and other details I can’t afford to give now.

It sounds like a tall order, isn’t it?

Maybe. But it’s doable. You see, I always assure myself with the idea that once anyone has done anything, then I can do it too. For me, knowing that some else has done it or is doing it is an indication that I can do it.

Not to worry, there’s this software I know and have used that will simply the learning and mastering process for you.

It’s called Mavis Beacon. I like the version 16. You can get any version from any computer vendor, install and try it out. It’s gonna help, mahn!

Next…

Type More Stuffs and Practice More Often

Don’t install the program and go to sleep…and may be snoring in the process. Hehe!

You’ve got to discipline yourself to be on it for a reasonable while. And when you do, it will not be too long; you’ll become familiar with the positioning of the keys on the keyboard.

Here’s what you should do to that effect, set a goal of improving your speed in, say three months time. Decide that you will practice, say 30 minutes every morning and another 30 minutes before bed, and follow it up.

As you do, consistently watch your speed level; the software has a provision for that. As at when I assessed myself, I type below 20 WPM. While a fellow without limbs flies on 70 WPM.

Imagine!

And if you do that over time, you’ll be amazed at how remarkable the result will be.

Side Note: And if that happens, please apply it to any other thing you would like to learn or master. Dedication is necessary in the mastery of any skill.

Finally…

Make it a habit to type pages of books or written materials with plenty of text. That is another medium to flex your typing muscle.

And as you do, resist the temptation of typing with one hand. This singular act is bound to sabotage the goal, which is to improve your speed level in typing.

If you have been neglecting this aspect of your personal development, please wake up.

Thanks for readin’ see ya!

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can You Type? by pendusky(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2014
the last time I checked using Mavis beacon I stood at 39WPM! Am good right?
Re: How Fast Can You Type? by cj4someone(m): 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2014
pendusky: the last time I checked using Mavis beacon I stood at 39WPM! Am good right?

Sure, you are on course.

But then, we can be better, mahn!

A man without limbs is said to type 70 WPM.
Re: How Fast Can You Type? by pendusky(m): 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
cj4someone:

Sure, you are on course.

But then, we can be better, mahn!

A man without limbs is said to type 70 WPM.
I have fingers and type 39wpm isn't that good? abegi Am not a secretary! cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can You Type? by ekoson95(m): 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Well, I do type an average of 55 words per minute (WPM).......that's quite good, but am still gonna improve.
Re: How Fast Can You Type? by shaboti: 4:39pm On Jul 11, 2014
what of fone keys,
Re: How Fast Can You Type? by cj4someone(m): 8:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
shaboti: what of fone keys,

That one no join!
Re: How Fast Can You Type? by annakuskus: 9:24am On Oct 21, 2014
pendusky:
the last time I checked using Mavis beacon I stood at 39WPM! Am good right?
Well to be honest this is the average http://www.ratatype.com/learn/average-typing-speed/

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can You Type? by kainrazial: 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
mine is 75wpm , need to improve till allot . i improved my skill using https://www.kidztype.com/

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have / What Is The Monthly Take Home (salary) Of An ABO, BO, And SBO In Enterprise Ban / Civil Defense Salary Scale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.