Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,329 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses (19593 Views)

London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians / The Bussinesses You Must Do To Make Money Online / Free Report On Bussinesses Online. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Sijo01(f): 7:02am On Jul 15, 2014
August and December 2014?

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by EagleScribes: 7:03am On Jul 15, 2014
This is what happens in a lawless society. Op, keep on trying. These guys are enemies of personal progress. I face a similar hoodoo too
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by nerodenero: 7:05am On Jul 15, 2014
Lead and I bet many won't follow.That is what we are!
nkpommpko: Until nigerians unanimously learn to say enough is enough we shall not see the end of this.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by popson1st: 7:06am On Jul 15, 2014
Nobody wan die for 9ja, that is why our leaders are doing what they like.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by chikenice(m): 7:07am On Jul 15, 2014
Today is July 15th 2014,my July bill was brought on July 11th and by 18the they will start going round disconnecting people

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by castello: 7:07am On Jul 15, 2014
My experience is no different from yours. My ICT business is Abuja -based. We received the new prepaid meters in mid March 2014. That month we exhausted N5000 recharge in less than 2 weeks even though at any one time, only 2 ACs at most are turned on and less than 5 laptops with intermittent use of the photocopier and printer. Now that business is picking up, we average 10k - 15k monthly. Some others are spending as much as 30k monthly.

I asked the NEPA Technician who fixed it what was happening and he says categorically that the new investors will like to recoup their money fast hence they brought in these new meters which he supposed is rigged to run faster.

It is sad that small businesses are made to suffer through payment of several outrageous bills with no respite from the government Agencies in charge.

I encourage you to keep insisting on replacement of the meter. This way you can control your usage. Other options are simply a farce that won't help you now or in the future.

Take heart. This is among reasons why so many people can't risk running their business.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by mrtruth: 7:08am On Jul 15, 2014
Honestly anyone who has not experienced this sort of nepa criminality would not understand the gravity of what op is saying. My shop where I sell cold drinks has been closed for nearly a month now because recently another team of nepa officers came and said my monthly bill of NI500 which I paid faithfully was too small. Come and see how they were actind as if they'd caught a thief. It was terrible. They say I should additional N21000 b4 they reconnected me and triggered a new bill that I should be paying.
The truth is why are we treated like slaves in this coutry? Govt has not enough jobs for evryone. Then you scout to survive by your own sweat yet they come after you like you are not a human being. Yet we have no where no one to cry to. Are such situations not encouraging people to try out other means of survival which in the end may not be good? Just how do they want a common man to survive in this country? They've sold out evry little inheritance we are entitled to and we are made to pay for our own entitlements.
Pls can anyone help with useful info. Can the power holders do whatever they like and get away with it? Then why not simply share up this country and let everyone carry his/her share of millions than have people manage our wealth to our own hurt.

7 Likes

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 15, 2014
gunuvi: op I so much like your writing style. u go sabi report person wella.

i thought the same thing, the write up is easy to understand
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Sunbellar: 7:09am On Jul 15, 2014
It seems to be the same everywhere. Anyone with the contact of Onitsha business unit manager should contact me. My billing is getting higher by the day.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by severee(m): 7:12am On Jul 15, 2014
I thot they said something about prepaid meters being introduced in nigeria? Why don't you get yourself one and stop having problems with the electric company?

undecided although electric bills can be a pain u knw? grin sometimes people can pay up to $216 in a month lol!
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by mrtruth: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2014
chikenice: Today is July 15th 2014,my July bill was brought on July 11th and by 18the they will start going round disconnecting people
Its a shame that that is happening in the giant of africa.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by capip120(m): 7:17am On Jul 15, 2014
na today? this guyz are so clueless and dumb that they just give you any bill to pay. me wey they pay 2,000 before all of a sudden my bill reach 33,000 this happened as a result of some many unreflected months of payment without anything to show for, even when I went to complain about this they just write one jargon on your bill and tell you d next one will reflect this went on for so many months and I gave up! not to mention the four months wey them come remove transformer say e Get problem one still these guy's were still bringing bills!na who wan pay? na monkey? the one that made me want to destroy their office is about five days ago precisely last week I went to pay my bill with my 2,000 as I was about entering I met a lady before the door she sat on a chair resting her hands on a table, she called my and told me to bring my bill so she could sign I brought it to her she saw 33, 000 and asked me how much I wanted to pay? I told 2,000 she said it ain't possible dat am supposed to pay more. with excessive temerity I looked at her and said look woman! this happened as a result of gross misconduct and mismanagement of dis office I went on to explain how it all started I was'nt even finished she started begging me to stop, I looked at her once again with tenacity, said my prayers and left.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by mrtruth: 7:24am On Jul 15, 2014
nkpommpko: Until nigerians unanimously learn to say enough is enough we shall not see the end of this.
I agree with you 100 percent. Just don't know how to start yet but somehow, someday I hope I can spearhead a liberation campaign. If I'm not powerful enough to hit the street, maybe I'll try social media. But onething is sure until we arise there is no way out. But let's never ignore the greatest weapon of all - PRAYER

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by otokx(m): 7:26am On Jul 15, 2014
Another example of the lawlessness and impunity in Nigeria.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by timtom: 7:31am On Jul 15, 2014
I did a calculation and i realize that my monthly bill should be between N 1,500 and N 2,000. so i don't care about the bill they bring.

I have reported Ikeja DISCO to CPC and my next plan is to meet with them and request to see their billing system. They need to explain to me how I consume N 10,000 - N 15, 0000 worth of electricity monthly, when there is meter.

Infact, I will go to the extent of getting a court injunction to achieve all these. Until we fight for our right, we will continue to see mediocrity as a norm

4 Likes

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 15, 2014
WisePer: Thanks Polaris for your advise, I will visit their office like you said and pray something good comes out of it.

Sincerely, I cannot keep paying 15k as Electricity bill, my residential apartment where I have an AC, three Tv sets, Fridge and other appliances, I dont spend more than 4k every month cos i use Pre-paid meter. Why will IKEDC PHCN not make available pre-paid meters to its customers.
IKEDC/PHCN are deliberately exploiting Nigerians and this need to stop,
I feel the Privatization has not brought the much needed re-form we all crave for in the system.
Yes, sadly the privatization has only made things worse.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Toktee(m): 7:40am On Jul 15, 2014
bumdish: My Broda, Nigeria robber, police, hospital, boko, lastma, custom, dana and now NEPA will not be our portion.

Here is the secret: Each district have income targets to meet...it is deliberate...the more effort one makes, the more they push the fellow from pillar to post...just keep writing letters at every opportunity, make them acknowledge a copy for you to retain...but last last, na padi padi fit solve the problem.

they installed our meter for the past two years now,yet they are still giving us direct billing,and the light is always unvailable

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:41am On Jul 15, 2014
Same thing happened to my office in Kano, bill went up from 3000 naira to 15, 000 plus, I went to their office to lay complain and request for Pre-paid metre for more than four month with no response, I also wrote a complain letter to the business manager and they stamped and acknowledged the receipt of the letter yet nothing was done.
So after they brought the last bill sometimes last month, I waited till the beginning of this month, I sent my security man to their office to pay for the bill with the instruction to them( PHCN) to come and remove their wires and old metre.
That same day,the business manager I have been begging and chasing up and down called me and apologise of their inability to attend to my complaint and promise that something will be done by Monday,(I took action on Friday), true to his words,by monday morning they brought new 3 phase pre-paid metre and install it free of charge .

I can feel the pain of the OP, government agencies and the most corrupt entities we have in this country, and who runs it? NIGERIANS.
OP,ask for disconnection, it is better for me to spend of fuel than spend of light I hardly get for 3 hours but charged exorbitant rates.

2 Likes

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by experimentist: 7:43am On Jul 15, 2014
Generate your own power by yourself... A new tech I develop.. Very soon PHCN will die. My new method of power generation will take over the power industry and I'll be exporting electricity to Ghana, Congo, Angola even SA.. Jx relax I'm still working on it.. Procedures: get two big drums filled with charcoals, pour 5 litre of fuel inside. Get some chemicals and..... To be continued.. I will av to open a thread on dis
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 15, 2014
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by victor08(m): 7:46am On Jul 15, 2014
[size=18pt]For them to answer you might require the services of a lawyer to write them for this fraud and threaten to charge them to court.

Or You officially tell them that you should be disconnected.
[/size]
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by maybel(m): 7:52am On Jul 15, 2014
It's really disheartening to hear cases like this. The hope of an average common man is being dashed, people are frustrated everyday. You apply for job they tell you there is no job. You painstakingly save some money and start small business PHCN tells you "dont try it". You commit crime they arrest you. Which way for the common man in this country? God have mercy.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by rash47(m): 7:54am On Jul 15, 2014
We paid for pre-paid and its procession last yr,uptill now its hasn't arrived from lagos they said. The cheat's are enjoying the estimated galour-our bill is 10k every month per flat in the whole of my area, when incessantly complain to them it, they claim we are staying around goverment house,therefore we are definitely rich and we should move out from the area if we desire been charge less.

Honestly, this phcn people are worst than police.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: You visited their office August, 2014 shocked

he is a time traveler grin grin grin grin

that was a typo..... those nepa ppl can make someone crazy
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by darne(m): 7:57am On Jul 15, 2014
[size=32pt]AND I JUST COMPLAINED ABOUT THE SAME THING YESTERDAY, ALONE AT HOME,.....I THINK ITS HIGH TIME WE DO SOMETHING ON THIS, WE DONT GET POWER SUPPLY, BUT WE RECEIVE BILLS WITH OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNTS/CHARGES ON THEM,.. WHAT REALLY IS GOING ON WITH PHCN AND THEIR NEW AND ADVANCED WAY OF DEFRAUDING COMMON NIGERIANS ?

IKEDC/PHCN WE NEED AN ANSWER TO THESE QUESTIONS !!!! [/size] angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:59am On Jul 15, 2014
Op, keep harrasing them with letters, visits, facts!
Hope your case is resolved soon.
Last Bullet
The monthly charges of the prepaid metre is even excess. Power Distribution Companies just take advantage of the situation. They know the only plan B that people v is generator & inverter.
There's God o!
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by finditng: 8:04am On Jul 15, 2014
This is no news.....@ my office in obanikoro lagoss, the bill just sat @ 25-30,000...I.T company running only laptops....and the power aint even regular......so we stopped paying....nepa officials came and were threathening to disconnecting us....I remeber our neighbour begging then I asked:mr, please when last did u have light....we looked at each other and told them to go to hell... just walked back into our offices slamming the doors on them......you'll pay 30,000 and still run generaor for about 6hrs outta the day's working hours....what's the point.....gen all the way pls....to hell wf nepa.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by watchindelta(m): 8:11am On Jul 15, 2014
in warri here nepa ar killin us oh! They hail fake meter 4 us, come thy hammer us wit estimated bill of 15k evry month n we no get any tenant oh! Jst only us thy d compound oh! So we dn write letter so tey our pen ink dn finished. Na cornercorner we come us wipe am. Nepa na yeye, no conscience n nobody to run wen nepa wahala of wayo come!
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 15, 2014
sanandreas: The way BEDC estimate bill is weird. Our bill keep rising astronomically. We hardly see the light. We started with a bill of 2100 2 years ago for our residence. Now it is 5230. I asked my dad if we are running pure water business or even ice cream. We shed load here in Eku delta state. We have enough transformers but the the *step down * has a small carrying capacity. BEDC is robbing us.
do they do. load shedding in Eku? for abraka na just yesterday light come and it went off this morning by 5a.m.who are you guys shedding load with and what of the sapele line that is under construction
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by eagleeye2: 8:25am On Jul 15, 2014
Late last year 2013, I nearly cut one of their staffs to pieces with a cutlass. These guys came to cut power even when I have paid. I decided to capture the guy climbing the ladder so that I will post it on social media.
The guy down now came to fight me, IN MY OWN HOUSE.
Those guys are just id10ts. What I do now is I pay any amount I wish to pay in the bank irrespective of what is written on my bill.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by Jesuspikin87(m): 8:28am On Jul 15, 2014
IKEDC na scam! They do it on purpose.
Re: PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses by lastpage: 8:31am On Jul 15, 2014
mrtruth: Honestly anyone who has not experienced this sort of nepa criminality would not understand the gravity of what op is saying. My shop where I sell cold drinks has been closed for nearly a month now because recently another team of nepa officers came and said my monthly bill of NI500 which I paid faithfully was too small. Come and see how they were actind as if they'd caught a thief. It was terrible. They say I should additional N21000 b4 they reconnected me and triggered a new bill that I should be paying.
The truth is why are we treated like slaves in this coutry? Govt has not enough jobs for evryone. Then you scout to survive by your own sweat yet they come after you like you are not a human being. Yet we have no where no one to cry to. Are such situations not encouraging people to try out other means of survival which in the end may not be good? Just how do they want a common man to survive in this country? They've sold out evry little inheritance we are entitled to and we are made to pay for our own entitlements.
Pls can anyone help with useful info. Can the power holders do whatever they like and get away with it? Then why not simply share up this country and let everyone carry his/her share of millions than have people manage our wealth to our own hurt.

I really feel for the Op and others in this debacle! Estimated Billing is and has always been a criminal way of fleecing people. You should count what is on the meter on monthly basis and issue bills accordingly. That "faulty meter" story is a blatant lie used to justify 'estimation' otherwise someone who ordered that meter in PHCN, needs to go to jail!

It appears that Nigerians are being railed into a new form of slavery, in their fatherland, by their own people in the 21st century.
Nigeria is not the only country in the world where electricity is being generated but we are unfortunate in the sense that the "regulators" and the "suppliers/providers" they are supposed to regulate ...and the government itself, have morphed into a single unit. Without being dramatic, we know that every humanbeing has a criminal tendency but they are only put into check by "laws and attached punishments".

Just imagine the situation we have now whereby our national assets like NEPA were privatized and sold cheaply to our previous and current leaders (using fronts), these same leaders (who are now owners) appoint Regulators who are under their bidding, to monitor their own company which they set up to fleece Nigerians?

For example, only in Nigeria can a DISCO not provide you electricity for a whole year and you are still charged and liable for #9,000 FIXED CHARGE (#750 FOR EVERY MONTH OF THAT YEAR). Now imagine in Lagos for example, if five million households have to pay 9,000 x 5,000,000?
Which implies the owner of each DISCO (The Babangidas, Abubakars, Madame Dame Jonathans , e.t.c, just go back and see the list of the owners of these DISCOS!) can rake in 45Billion Naira every year, in Lagos alone without lifting a finger! Fixed charge should/are always a percentage (say 5% ) of amount due in reasonable countries but in Nigeria, it has gradually got to around 50% (half) of the average household monthly bill!
Now, if such DISCO does decide to provide you with epileptic power, as most does, aside from the #45Billion "guaranteed income" it makes yearly, l dont know if you have noticed how the TARIFF (Unit charge of electricity) has been constantly increased from #2.50K, in the last three years or so, to #12.50K per unit, the last increase being in April this year? Thus, a five-fold increase in about three years!
Now, where in the world does "business" make such astronomical increase in revenue on the back of the populace, for something so important, so necessary and so unavoidable like electricity? Only in Nigeria, because these crooks want more and more money.

Lastpage!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Craziest Things Money Can Buy In Nigeria / Cement Price Soar In South East / The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.