Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? (29498 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / What Aptly Describes Some Marriages Of Nowadays (see Pix) / What Makes Some Marriages Stand While Others Fall Apart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 11, 2014
Yes!

Why are some marriages so boring? Why do some couples live like room mates and odas like next-door neighbours?

I've been observing couples for a while and d few I've observed all had one tin in common - dia marriage was boring.

Am talking about my own definition of boring which is d lack of excitement, enthusiasm, adventure, spontaneity, fun, and lafta. Most marriages I know lack these.

I hav some married friends and I hav stayed with three different couples in d course of travelling around some naija cities. And I noticed 3 tins abt dem -
1. Dia marriage hav become monotonous.
2. Day hardly play together as a couple.
3. Dia kids hav become more important dan dia spouse.
Dont get me wrong. Am not saying dia marriage is bad. Day are both good people. Peaceful couple. But its so boring. I spend two days with a couple and am already immersed in boredom. To me boredom has an odour, I can smell it on some couples. Just d way u can smell d nice aroma love on two people who are in love with each oda. Its always in dia eyes and dia countenance.

Am beginning to tink dat dating is more interesting dan marriage, and dat being single is more enjoyable dan being married. I mean, u can hardly see a marriage u wd like to model afta dis days. Yet dis same guys are encouraging us single guys to get married. And if u choose to hav a chat with one of dem u'd hear dem say crap like 'Oh boy! Marriage is not easy oh!' and if I say I no go marry again, dem go say 'Oh boy! Ur not responsible'.

Iyanmi! Nsido!

Why are most marriages so boring? Is it dat d fire just naturally fizzles out over time, unto law of diminishing returns? Or is it dat once kids start coming in everytin changes (cos dis is usually d case)? Is it family responsibility dat kills all d fun? Or is it dat most people just enjoy monotony? Or maybe my definition of boring is not d same as dias?

I wd rily appreciate some ansa plz. Tanx a million guys.wink

50 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by dytbabe: 10:43pm On Jul 11, 2014
Aproko
No go marry, dey dia dey visit un and down
Shior

79 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2014
Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by jeffizy(m): 11:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
Many people have a wrong perception of the reality of marriage.
To start with, in courtship , you can describe it as being in secondary school, having time to grow up, make mistakes, do well in some subjects while performing low in others.
But marriage is a tertiary institution! You are in to study just one course and it is for a lifetime.

Regarding your observation, it only becomes boring when both couple let the pop ups get bigger than them. The kids, financial status , extended family , etc.
Time and time again, I always advocate the coming together of friends in a marriage.
Let your spouse be your best friend.
That's the way to cure your observation.

37 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Tattooboy: 11:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Well i have noticed dat too. Dat's y im not gonna marry because im in love with someone but because we have alot of tins in common.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
Bro it's alarming, am also scared of it.
I don't want to marry.. I will keep dating till I die Abeg.
If I get bored of the lady, I'd just leave peacefully

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
jeffizy: Many people have a wrong perception of the reality of marriage.
To start with, in courtship , you can describe it as being in secondary school, having time to grow up, make mistakes, do well in some subjects while performing low in others.
But marriage is a tertiary institution! You are in to study just one course and it is for a lifetime.

Regarding your observation, it only becomes boring when both couple let the pop ups get bigger than them. The kids, financial status , extended family , etc.
Time and time again, I always advocate the coming together of friends in a marriage.
Let your spouse be your best friend.
That's the way to cure your observation.

Bros u made a very good point hia, but let me counter one. No offense intended.

Seriously, I hate it when people kip saying marriage is like an 'institution'. Who enjoys an institution? Seriously? Why compare marriage to d school we were happy we were leaving. Or were u angry wen u were leaving school? Did u feel like continuing schooling?

I dont know about u, but to me school is boring. School reminds me of d tins we had to do even doe we didn't enjoy it, like going to working everyday. And if marriage is like going to school for life, den dat makes it boring for life.

I wd prefer a beta option for comparism becos dat school or 'tertiary institution' tin doesnt just work for me at all.

Plz can u tink of something more exciting dan d 'institution' tin? Mbok!

67 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by adanduka: 11:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
Because the couples in those marriages were not friends before marriage.

22 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by jeffizy(m): 12:18am On Jul 12, 2014
obongproff:

Bros u made a very good point hia, but let me counter one. No offense intended.

Seriously, I hate it when people kip saying marriage is like an 'institution'. Who enjoys an institution? Seriously? Why compare marriage to d school we were happy we were leaving. Or were u angry wen u were leaving school? Did u feel like continuing schooling?

I dont know about u, but to me school is boring. School reminds me of d tins we had to do even doe we didn't enjoy it, like going to working everyday. And if marriage is like going to school for life, den dat makes it boring for life.

I wd prefer a beta option for comparism becos dat school or 'tertiary institution' tin doesnt just work for me at all.

Plz can u tink of something more exciting dan d 'institution' tin? Mbok!
Lol. I get your point. But let me elaborate mine.
When most call marriage an institution, it simply means a single place with multiple discipline.
So many courses, so many students , so many degrees , so many characters and so on. It is a literary expression that can be equated as
very broad and complicated.

Happy to learn about your take on the issue.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Mintayo(m): 5:41am On Jul 12, 2014
Because both individual are Boring.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Baba419(m): 5:53am On Jul 12, 2014
Not enough blow

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Afam4eva(m): 5:54am On Jul 12, 2014
Marriage can become boring due to the "See finish" syndrome. When you and your partner have probably seen everything about the other person and have also said everything there is to say, the marriage can become boring. That's why new innovations are needed to spice up the marriage and keep it afloat. For instance, the fact that i love seeing my wife's unclothedness, does not mean i want her to be working unclad around the house everything because it will get me tired of the whole package and i may not be soo eager to see it like before.

34 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Smartsyn(m): 5:57am On Jul 12, 2014
Until you become the best friend of your spouse, your marriage may end up boring when that high feeling of love give way with time and harsh realities

Friendships last forever, but that 'high feel' of love could swerve away with time.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Hackerjay(m): 5:58am On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by youngice(m): 6:00am On Jul 12, 2014
because not every body is interested in fun
the where not friends before marriage
and because........wait sef wetin be your own
Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by vikel2104: 6:01am On Jul 12, 2014
Everything in life has both the exciting times and boring times. When a man gets his dream job, he is initially excited but as time progresses he'll find it less exciting because it has become a routine. He also discovers that having a dream job doesn't mean having a stress-free job. But if he gets a promotion, his excitement level rises again until when it begins to decline again. Same goes for marriage. It can't be excitement all the time and it shouldn't be boredom all the time. That makes a more realistic situation.

24 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by justi4jesu(f): 6:01am On Jul 12, 2014
Maybe both partners are boring and also when you rush into marriage just in the name of wearing the ring to show people you are married angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 12, 2014
Hackerjay: Love doesn't exist or probably lost

Seconded.
Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Hexzyz(m): 6:04am On Jul 12, 2014
The reason is people don't depend on God for his perfect will in marriage. They go by what they see. God knows the heart of every individual and who is perfect for each other.

17 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by ignis: 6:05am On Jul 12, 2014
What do you want me to comment here ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 12, 2014
The best reason I can imagine is that people often marry not because they want to spend forever time with a woman they are complete friends with, but because they want kids. You'll observe the monotony sets in when kids arrive. If no kids are forthcoming, they'd probably be going crazy anyways.

Solution: marry your best friend who you really want to be with for the rest of your life because you love and admire her/him. Not because of some kids.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by anitank(f): 6:06am On Jul 12, 2014
Lots of people get married for wrong reasons and then end up realizing its not what they thought it would be

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 6:08am On Jul 12, 2014
If he has money it won't be boring at all!!

None of my girlfriends have ever complained of any boredom

Because of my seven digit account balance!!

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by bcomputer101: 6:09am On Jul 12, 2014
Why do you always spy into people marriage?
Gbe-bo-run

Mind you,
if you ask me, na who i go ask?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by justi4jesu(f): 6:09am On Jul 12, 2014
Yungwizzzy: If he has money it won't be boring at all!!

None of my girlfriends have ever complained of any boredom

Because of my seven digit account balance!!

Pissure of ur Seven digits or --- lipsrsealed tongue

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by kobonaire(m): 6:09am On Jul 12, 2014
This thread is for poke nosers, amebos and NFAs (no future ambition) .... wetin concern you with another person's marriage ... face your life.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by red101(f): 6:12am On Jul 12, 2014
obongproff:

so in other words, anything that requires maturity and responsibility is boring to you?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by fitzmayowa: 6:16am On Jul 12, 2014
You can't give what you don't have...in a nutshell both couples are boring from the on set

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by justi4jesu(f): 6:17am On Jul 12, 2014
A good marriage is like synchronized swimming. it looks easy, but you don’t see all the work beneath the surface.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 12, 2014
Relationships end/gets boring because once the person has you,. They stop doing the things it took to get you in the first place... sad

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? by Yoney007(f): 6:17am On Jul 12, 2014
Couples gets too familiar with themselves to reinvent, respice and redecorate themselves. They unknowingly stop doing the things that trips their partner thinking they have "arrived" especially women.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Sleeping In A Cot While Baby Sleeps On The Bed! / Having A Male Child / Sex Denial Threatens 6-year-old Marriage In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.