Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. - Properties (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. (54958 Views)

Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. / Affordable low cost housing Option For Lagosians / Award Winning Low-Cost Housing Technology Launches In Nigeria - Investors Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by jerryunit48: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
Still very much reasonable amount
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by ekoibile: 5:08pm On Nov 04, 2014
spyder880:
Oga Mufutau and all my people here, as I was thinking, there is a miscalculation of amounts remitted to me as I was building this house. I forgot to add a particular amount. This whole house building, materials, labour and supervision cost us a total of N2.1m so far. Please lets correct the earlier impression that it cost N1.8 as I wrongly calculated day before yesterday. Thanks.
So far, the structure of this Bungalow is not looking bad. This is for those who says I critique unfairly. Meanwhile, I’ll keep my fingers crossed while the foundation keep settling.

However, the single rooms self contain you built beside it took the shine off it. I guess that building must have gulped over 7 million Naira, and has gone down on record as the worst constructed structure on Nairaland. Infact, no poor workmanship in the property section could compare with it. I'll love to see the updates on it as I did offer solutions to some of the damages.

As regards my take on the cost of this particular 2 Bed Bungalow, I believe the 2.1 Million spent so far should have at least covered the ceiling and plumbing of this small house. Afterall, basic PVC ceiling of 80K and plumbing 60K (the whole materials and labor) should do the trick except the owner wants something more special.. My two pence worth though.

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 12:55pm On Nov 05, 2014
Of course I heard the information late like many people, up to 12 hours after it made it into the dailies that business mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote is about to slash cement prices by up to 40%. I got quite a number of calls from friends and readers of many of my articles on the supposed impact of this news in the building industry. My perspective on the whole thing are to be listed down in my points below;

1. How soon are we going to start buying cement for N1000.00?

I quickly called some of my heavy dealers in Dangote cement and questioned them about this, they said the company asked them yesterday to wait till 2 weeks so they could exhaust the old stock of cement before buying the new batch with lowered costs.

2. How much will you be selling the cement to us the unit consumers?

When I asked them this question, they were of the opinion that since they are supposed to be buying from Dangote at N1000.00 advertised, they will add their offloading charges and profit to the price, which means that you and me might be buying cement for between N1,100-N1,200, depending on your location.

3. Is this new cement exactly the same with the ones in the shops now?

They said its not! They said this cement will be of the 32.5 capacity, instead of the 42.5 in circulation now. Meaning that there is a possibility that this new cement coming in might not be as strong as the ones we are using now.

4. Will this mean that construction costs will fall overall?

Well it needs to be seen first, how much the prices will drop to and how the quality might turn out to be. If the fall is drastic and supplies constant, it might well ease off on project costs and benefit builders and home owners alike. It has the capacity to bring a construction boom if well managed.

5. What impact will this have on the other cement manufacturers and importers?

Do you that there is some news in the grapevine about the real reasons for the price drop being as a result of intense competition and a need to command more market share among cement producers? In this case the competition is expected to react, either reduce prices as well or increase quality, or even drop supplies, creating a heavy scarcity since Dangote is expected to flooded with a deluge of orders. What happens next? Another price increase to scare off surplus demands. Competition is unpredictable.

6. Will it affect the cost of rents, will landlords reduce rents?

That is like wishing for too much, since we have not even seen the reduction, but however there are other factors in construction which needs to drop before rents can drop. What about land costs and illegal fees? What about rods, sand, granite and labour costs, will they all soft-pedal like Dangote?

7. Does this have political undertones, especially ahead of 2015 general elections?

Don't put me in trouble, I don't know! grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyroxy1(m): 3:26pm On Nov 05, 2014
Oga mi... Please share this post as many threads of yours as possible. We are always happy to be informed by you

spyder880:
Of course I heard the information late like many people, up to 12 hours after it made it into the dailies that business mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote is about to slash cement prices by up to 40%. I got quite a number of calls from friends and readers of many of my articles on the supposed impact of this news in the building industry. My perspective on the whole thing are to be listed down in my points below;

1. How soon are we going to start buying cement for N1000.00?

I quickly called some of my heavy dealers in Dangote cement and questioned them about this, they said the company asked them yesterday to wait till 2 weeks so they could exhaust the old stock of cement before buying the new batch with lowered costs.

2. How much will you be selling the cement to us the unit consumers?

When I asked them this question, they were of the opinion that since they are supposed to be buying from Dangote at N1000.00 advertised, they will add their offloading charges and profit to the price, which means that you and me might be buying cement for between N1,100-N1,200, depending on your location.

3. Is this new cement exactly the same with the ones in the shops now?

They said its not! They said this cement will be of the 32.5 capacity, instead of the 42.5 in circulation now. Meaning that there is a possibility that this new cement coming in might not be as strong as the ones we are using now.

4. Will this mean that construction costs will fall overall?

Well it needs to be seen first, how much the prices will drop to and how the quality might turn out to be. If the fall is drastic and supplies constant, it might well ease off on project costs and benefit builders and home owners alike. It has the capacity to bring a construction boom if well managed.

5. What impact will this have on the other cement manufacturers and importers?

Do you that there is some news in the grapevine about the real reasons for the price drop being as a result of intense competition and a need to command more market share among cement producers? In this case the competition is expected to react, either reduce prices as well or increase quality, or even drop supplies, creating a heavy scarcity since Dangote is expected to flooded with a deluge of orders. What happens next? Another price increase to scare off surplus demands. Competition is unpredictable.

6. Will it affect the cost of rents, will landlords reduce rents?

That is like wishing for too much, since we have not even seen the reduction, but however there are other factors in construction which needs to drop before rents can drop. What about land costs and illegal fees? What about rods, sand, granite and labour costs, will they all soft-pedal like Dangote?

7. Does this have political undertones, especially ahead of 2015 general elections?

Don't put me in trouble, I don't know! grin
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 11:15pm On Nov 06, 2014
mufutau55:

Aha! Talking of burglary proof.. they just finished my MQ verandah burglary for the two flats.. it contains the 2 big front and 2 small sides.
Look below, you go see say I don copy you tired..oh! It's good to learn from the Properties Forum oh!

Hajji M.

bro gd evening

pls how much did the big burglary proof cost.

just trying to compare prices
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 11:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
spyder880:
The burglary proof. ......

oga spyder,

pls how much did the window burglary proof cost amd wats their measurement.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 1:04am On Nov 07, 2014
bebe2:

bro gd evening
pls how much did the big burglary proof cost.
just trying to compare prices

They are made of 1 inch pipes.... The bigger one and the small one are both N60,000 for the sets. I paid N120,000 for for the two sets.
So the Charges are in pair... but he said N40,000 for bigger sizes and N20,000 for the smaller ones.
Bigger size is 11 x 8ft and the smaller size is 4 x 8ft.

My Window Buglary proofs (also 1 inch pipes) are:
6x4ft = N10k
5x4ft = N8k
4x4ft = N7k
2ft 6ins x 2ft = N3k

The total I did with him for window guards was around N106k, and I just paid him N100k even.
The same Welder did the Windows Buglary, Verandah Burglary and Iron Kitchen Exit doors (N15k each)

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 6:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
mufutau55:

They are made of 1 inch pipes.... The bigger one and the small one are both N60,000 for the sets. I paid N120,000 for for the two sets.
So the Charges are in pair... but he said N40,000 for bigger sizes and N20,000 for the smaller ones.
Bigger size is 11 x 8ft and the smaller size is 4 x 8ft.

My Window Buglary proofs (also 1 inch pipes) are:
6x4ft = N10k
5x4ft = N8k
4x4ft = N7k
2ft 6ins x 2ft = N3k

The total I did with him for window guards was around N106k, and I just paid him N100k even.
The same Welder did the Windows Buglary, Verandah Burglary and Iron Kitchen Exit doors (N15k each)

Hajji M.

tnx for ur response.

my contractor said mine is 45k for for the verandah burglary proof, he is using 1.5inch, after seeing urs
am going to ask him to use 1inch.

my windows 6x4 and we paid 7,500 naira

total 170k for both flats
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 7:20pm On Nov 07, 2014
bebe2:

tnx for ur response.
my contractor said mine is 45k for for the verandah burglary proof, he is using 1.5inch, after seeing urs
am going to ask him to use 1inch.
my windows 6x4 and we paid 7,500 naira
total 170k for both flats

That is good price for the work, where is the project, that will factor into the price too.. Mine is in Lagos - more labor cost.
(Sample of one of the window burglary 6x4ft is shown below)

Hajji M.

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 9:42pm On Nov 07, 2014
mufutau55:

That is good price for the work, where is the project, that will factor into the price too.. Mine is in Lagos - more labor cost.
(Sample of one of the window burglary 6x4ft is shown below)

Hajji M.

mine is ogun state agbara.

Am getting paranoid about my contractor, the pple dat introduced him to me have been telling me to stop using him, dat he is dubious.

but am yet to see a substantial issue wit him although 100k miss one time smiley

Here is the door he bought for 45k.
I think its beautiful.

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 9:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
bebe2:

mine is ogun state agbara.
Am getting paranoid about my contractor, the pple dat introduced him to me have been telling me to stop using him, dat he is dubious.
but am yet to see a substantial issue wit him although 100k miss one time smiley
Here is the door he bought for 45k.
I think its beautiful.

OK. Not bad for the door. I think that is the same price for the doors that Muyesky makes.. I am also in Ogun - Sango Otta.
Keep using the Contractor, just don't play with money with him. keep your eyes open. Good luck.

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 10:01pm On Nov 07, 2014
mufutau55:

OK. Not bad for the door. I think that is the same price for the doors that Muyesky makes.. I am also in Ogun - Sango Otta.
Keep using the Contractor, just don't play with money with him. keep your eyes open. Good luck.

Hajji M.

tnks bro.

but I wanted to use muyesky, he quoted 60k for a door lile dis one.

few months later I contacted him for burglary proof he wanted 13k for the 6x4 one.

maybe he is too busy so he dey use style drive potential customers.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 10:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
bebe2:

tnks bro.
but I wanted to use muyesky, he quoted 60k for a door lile dis one.
few months later I contacted him for burglary proof he wanted 13k for the 6x4 one.
maybe he is too busy so he dey use style drive potential customers.

Ah! OK. I didn't know you have tried Muyesky.. yes, may be he was too occupied.
But you got good prices for those burglaries and the door.. may be I will contact you in future when I needed to do more of those for the Duplex project. Let's keep on sharing ideas to keep our cost down. Is Agbara far to Sango-Otta?
Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by bebe2(f): 10:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
mufutau55:

Ah! OK. I didn't know you have tried Muyesky.. yes, may be he was too occupied.
But you got good prices for those burglaries and the door.. may be I will contact you in future when I needed to do more of those for the Duplex project. Let's keep on sharing ideas to keep our cost down. Is Agbara far to Sango-Otta?
Thank you.

Hajji M.

dat wud be great.
My plot is 100 X 130

So I still have main plot to build next year.

am going to Nigeria next march to inspect the project if it satisfactory then I will ask him to start foundation fo 5 flatss

think agbara is about 1hr frm Sango-Otta, or so I heard smiley
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 2:39am On Nov 08, 2014
bebe2:

dat wud be great.
My plot is 100 X 130
So I still have main plot to build next year.
am going to Nigeria next march to inspect the project if it satisfactory then I will ask him to start foundation fo 5 flatss
think agbara is about 1hr frm Sango-Otta, or so I heard smiley

Keep it up brother... God will give us the fund and health to complete all our projects. Just keep doing it.

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 1:10pm On Nov 08, 2014
Next action from this site, the balustrade. ........

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 1:12pm On Nov 08, 2014
This is the sample chosen by my client among many samples. ...

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 1:16pm On Nov 08, 2014
These types usually come in pairs. ......

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 1:18pm On Nov 08, 2014
So what we do is to couple them, making sure to create a smooth union, just like adding butter between two slices of bread cheesy

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 1:21pm On Nov 08, 2014
By Monday morning we are going to be installing them in on the blocks which has been laid at the balcony edges to stand these designs. A careful dressing work is needed here to produce a cool finish.

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by kostadinis: 9:31pm On Nov 08, 2014
spyder880:
This is the sample chosen by my client among many samples. ...
A nice one, I thought is beautiful
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by Shawls: 2:05am On Nov 10, 2014
@Spyder880
Pls, kindly help with a rough estimate for retaining wall (fence ) of 70m.
I got the following quote for materials

150bags of cement @N1650/bag
2tons of 12mm rods @ N100k each
1 & 1/2 tons 10mm @ N115k each
2loads of granite @ N100k each
6loads of sharp sand (double) @ N16k each
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by osarodon(m): 4:32pm On Nov 11, 2014
Nice Job @ spyder880

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
Updates. ....

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Updates. .....

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by damselle00: 7:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

@hajj m! Good day sir..pls do u have am idea how much 1 cud get a plot or half plot of land in sango ota or ota environs..considering getting 1..ur response will be appreciated..tanx
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by kostadinis: 7:17pm On Nov 14, 2014
Chairman, Well mounted balustrades. Looking beautiful
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 7:23pm On Nov 14, 2014
damselle00:

@hajj m! Good day sir..pls do u have am idea how much 1 cud get a plot or half plot of land in sango ota or ota environs..considering getting 1..ur response will be appreciated..tanx

Right now, I cannot tell you any price.. but I can inquire around.. I bought my two plots about 12 years ago.

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 7:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
spyder880:
Updates. .....

Nice done.. and well mounted balusters..

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by Fhemmmy: 2:46am On Nov 15, 2014
Looking great
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. by koman: 6:40am On Nov 15, 2014
I like those balusters

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / Cost Of Aluminium Roofing Sheet / Cost Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile In Nigeria {2018 Prices} Quality Guaranteed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.