Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. (32213 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by emeka94(m): 6:44am On Jul 12, 2014
I duff my hat for the author of this article. Neatly and professionally written. Reminds of wole soyinka's articles. I've always seen nurses as being crude, unintelligent and not well educated that they're only good in injection and insulting people, this article have changed my view. Not my fault its just what I've seen in my area. #stereotypeisbad.
At topic, I agree completely with the article. Doctors have no reason to sit behind desk signing papers and issuing directives after all the money and years they claim to have spent in school. Use this knowledge to save life not destroy it. what happened to human conscience? Dem no dey feel patients pain?
Hmmm they should be careful else they loose the sympathy of the populace oh.
As someone said above,Other healthcare professionals should use this opportunity to prove to the world that they are good and have d skill.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Opiosko: 6:46am On Jul 12, 2014
Good one.
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 6:50am On Jul 12, 2014
As far as am concerned the Doctor is equal to the cleaner and the cleaner equall to the Nurse. That's what systemic theory thought me. If its easy let the Doctor clean the hospital floor or let the Nurse carry out an Operation. Every component unit is key in any given system. The Doctors kknow this bt their ambitions are blinding them. How on earth wll a doctor live the hospital and go join politics or own a church and abandon practice? With their training and importance they should keep saving lives with their colleaugues the nurses and other members of the health system. Its all greed. We knw this things. As a child growing up in the 80s doctors and Rev. Fathers are seen as small god and luved bt now its a diff story. U are forced to respect a doctor or else he livs u to die.

9 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by agabaI23(m): 6:52am On Jul 12, 2014
heykims:
what part of d body does a man use in reasoning: a)anus b)skin c)tongue d)genitals
genitals
Clap for me.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Eretare(m): 6:56am On Jul 12, 2014
You quoted Florence Nightingales' dispute with the doctors during the Crimean war. What you failed to mention was that the morbidity and mortality in her wards were worse than those of the untreated patients. Read about her properly and you'd find out that the Crimean war was her biggest failure. It was so bad that she refused to leave her home post-war.

12 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by heykims(m): 6:56am On Jul 12, 2014
agabaI23: genitals
Clap for me.
U've done well indeed...
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by godG: 6:56am On Jul 12, 2014
Brilliant. I really do not know why doctors want to be the oga-kpatakpata in the health sector. It is absurd. Their ego is actually the problem, they find it hard to accept the realities of modern trend in the profession.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 6:57am On Jul 12, 2014
Imagine the author of this article working with an egoistic Doctor? The Doctor will frustrate him out of the Job. Nurses are caring but the Doctors have turned them into tigers and the patient now suffer. The anger of how the Doctors treat the nurses are transferd to the patinents. Tell me one doctor in Ur area that lives an ordinary life or has his ambition tied around the hospital? Na big dreamers dem be all. Club goers and womanizers. I know them and I see them. As a Youth copper served with them. All they tell you is what you don't expect from them. As if u are talking to wizkid or Dbanj. Doctor they ask abt shoe, shirt, watch, bling bling doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by heykims(m): 7:02am On Jul 12, 2014
Eretare: You quoted Florence Nightingales' dispute with the doctors during the Crimean war. What you failed to mention was that the morbidity and mortality in her wards were worse than those of the untreated patients. Read about her properly and you'd find out that the Crimean war was her biggest failure. It was so bad that she refused to leave her home post-war.
Wow, ds part wont favour d line of d op's argument. U don spoil market o coz Nightingale is d mother of d nursing profession!!
Op!! Plz go edit ur original post nd inject d truth..

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 7:02am On Jul 12, 2014
Live florence Nightangeales matter answer the guy as it concerns Nigeria and the way Doctors behave. Looking for cheap irrelevant point to discredit a good article. Am glad both you recognise there was a florence Nightwateever issue. The details are not relevant. Reapond to the issues raised or ballout.

10 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by DebateNigeria: 7:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Tinkybabe(f): 7:17am On Jul 12, 2014
heykims: With all due respect,a medical doctor's line of duty can never be threatened by a nurse, what do nurses know?
A nurse is only there to carry out d plans documented by d doctor, their job is just to execute d doctors' order, so i don't see any threat to d line of profession of a magistrate who sentences by d prison officials who carries out d order.
As such, d little clinical experience re only derived when carrying out d docs' plan of management, so they then get to learn different lines of management of various health conditions from d docs' documentation, they av no formal training.
Nursing students ain't taught ow to examine patients nd neither do they acquire skills of diagnosing in school (who will even teach them when even d qualified nurses don't know it coz it isn't required to discharge their duties), so i then begin to wonder if it is even appropriate for nurses to establish coz they don't av d formal training to manage patients..
In fact it is funny nd i see it abnormal also coz once a nurse graduates from school wt a degree (Bnsc or so), she doesnt require any further education to get promotion to d highest nursing rank, she/he just sits carrying out docs' plan nd promotion keeps coming wt years spent. This is absurd..

How myopic you are!well, I do not blame you, I only blame the environment that you grew up in which has stuffed your head with fallacious thoughts and blocked your eyes to enlightenment.

I only pray that you have the opportunity of travelling and observing how healthcare runs in developed countries so that you can understand that every healthcare profession is significant and each has a vital role to play in patients' care.No healthcare professional is taught to be a pushover or just take orders but they are armed with immense skills that enable them to work collectively and collaboratively with others to manage patients' health..

Actually, I wouldn't expect the latter to make meaning to you, but well..get some education!

13 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by phineas: 7:19am On Jul 12, 2014
I've learnt to always focus on matters arising,that way u spend energy on what is important.

This issue of other proffesionals becoming consultants in the NMA strike is limited to the teaching hospital setting.NMA is saying in the teaching hospital you cannot have a nurse,lab scientist,or pharmacist appointed consultant.

In non clinical medecine and yes there is non clinical medecine it can pass,like agencies such as unicef,who,FHI,health managent org etc employ anyone whose services they need for a specified period as consultants to the org.meaning a lot of UN staff who work on 3months 2 years or more contracts are consultants to the org or project.

Transpose to clinical medecine,a patient comes to the emmergency unit with fractures head injury and let's say some degree of elevation in his blood sugar.The Accident and emmergency unit assigns a consultant to him primarily (remember we hope he gets discharged from this dr's care someday,this consulatnt writes a letter inviteing other drs from orthopaedics -for his fractures,neurosurgery -for his head injury,endocrinology-for his diabetes) all consultants come with their team to join him and manage this patient.

Now in this clinical setting,Nurses want to be appointed as consultant and the question is what specialized service Are we bringing in a nurse and allied professional for for a short duration to offer to this patient,is there anywhere in the world Nurses are employed as "consultants" in the TEACHING/tetiary clinical hospital

For the public to wade into this matter without having been in this world its understandable to get swayed by emotions,but this is not about emotions its about the fabric that holds the system in place,Nurses cannot become consultants in the teaching hospitals,and they should not be cmd in tetiary centers in nigeria.

When all this is over,I suggest a reality TV show in our tetiary hospital sys with the patients faces blurred to depict the true picture of the Nigerian tetiary health care,its loooong overdue,we'll see the workload,the sacrifices,the fustration,we'll see its a thankless job,only then should the public start to wade in.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by uyplus(m): 7:20am On Jul 12, 2014
heykims: With all due respect,a medical doctor's line of duty can never be threatened by a nurse, what do nurses know?
A nurse is only there to carry out d plans documented by d doctor, their job is just to execute d doctors' order, so i don't see any threat to d line of profession of a magistrate who sentences by d prison officials who carries out d order.
As such, d little clinical experience re only derived when carrying out d docs' plan of management, so they then get to learn different lines of management of various health conditions from d docs' documentation, they av no formal training.
Nursing students ain't taught ow to examine patients nd neither do they acquire skills of diagnosing in school (who will even teach them when even d qualified nurses don't know it coz it isn't required to discharge their duties), so i then begin to wonder if it is even appropriate for nurses to establish coz they don't av d formal training to manage patients..
In fact it is funny nd i see it abnormal also coz once a nurse graduates from school wt a degree (Bnsc or so), she doesnt require any further education to get promotion to d highest nursing rank, she/he just sits carrying out docs' plan nd promotion keeps coming wt years spent. This is absurd..

Please tell me Pharmacist don't know anything too. That we Just dispense the drugs according to da docs prescription plan.. Loool.. glad Pharmacy has got a faculty of it's own and not under the Medical sciences.

My friend did his internship at LUTH and der was this incidence he gisted me about. A prescription came in for him to attend. It was written by a 'consultant' and when he was done screening the prescription, he noticed grave therapeutics errors. He then sent a stapled note back to the doc to review the prescription..and ds doc who claims to be all knowing sent the patient back and told him that if the pharmacist refuses to dispense the drugs, he should tell him. My friend just did the simplest thing. Went up to the consultant office, the consultant was so arrogant because he had Hs fellow consultants all sitted there. He just told the consultant, pleases counter sign this prescription and I will dispense it as soon as I leave your office. Guess what, the consultant never did and evn askd him what was wrong and he should suggest what changes needs to be made.

Now that is the attitude of an average doc. Do they evn know drugs? How many docs can convert international units to million units? And dey wear ward coat parading everywhere. Soon they will say only docs shd wear ward coats in the hospital. Who are they to say no other profession shd be called consultants and 'dr'. Bunch of eediots!!

14 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 12, 2014
azimibraun: Naija Doctors Big cars, Big houses, Big churches, Kids school abroad, GOs with super churches, Big political ambition, irritated by the poor Nigerian Patient, Consults for BigMen, goes Clubbin a lot and have more girlfriends than an entertainer. Doctors in Naija grooves lk a crazy. I hear Delta state governor is a doctor, peter Odili, ahmodu Ali, Ngige, who else? Name them. So all the knowledge of Medicine gone be dat. Na wa o!
guess u Neva met a fully practicing doctor b4..... any doctor with DT much money is into other business (maybe he owns a private Hosp) or maybe politics...... or maybe he doesn't practice in Nigeria..... Google is ur fwend... cos doctor s get easily employed does not mean they earn that much...... check how much other countries pay their doctors and check how much Nigerian doctors settle 4..... you know dz is d real cause of hate.... poverty.... some ppl are so broke in dz country DT dey hate any1 DT is not......

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by klodike(m): 7:23am On Jul 12, 2014
Stop thinking....
ignis: Are medical practitioners supposed to even embark on strike?
I thought the major driving force to the profession is passion to save lives.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by hydeka: 7:25am On Jul 12, 2014
Eretare: You quoted Florence Nightingales' dispute with the doctors during the Crimean war. What you failed to mention was that the morbidity and mortality in her wards were worse than those of the untreated patients. Read about her properly and you'd find out that the Crimean war was her biggest failure. It was so bad that she refused to leave her home post-war.
With due respect, this is not about the Crimean war. Whatever happened then could be called her own personal failure and not that of the entire profession. I don't know why you guys always beat about the bush and fail to address the issue at hand. Could it be that you guys don't have a stronger argument to counter the points being raised? Most likely.

7 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by VirginFinder: 7:26am On Jul 12, 2014
Honestly, a male nurse should be ashamed of himself.

I will never open my eyes and allow my son to study nursing and physio...

If he doesn't want to study medicine or pharmacy, he should forget it.

To me, a nurse is to a doctor what a secretary is to her boss.

The gender that readily comes to mind when you hear 'Nurse' or 'Secretary' is female.

Women in these professions have gladly taken on these roles without aspiring to be like their bosses until sissies and wussies joined their ranks.

In the medical profession, the doctor is king!

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by klodike(m): 7:32am On Jul 12, 2014
Oga honestly what r u talking about?
Ochek: NMA STRIKE, THE NURSES' PERSPECTIVE. Let the comments pou[email][/email]r...

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Historically, the first documented envy-ridden feud between Nurses and Doctors was during the Crimean War (1853-1856), when Florence Nightingale was commissioned to go to Scutari barracks in order to join military doctor...s to combat the high mortality rate in the military hospitals. The doctors, feeling threatened, resisted the help of Nightingale and her Nurses until they became overwhelmed with casualties and succumbed to reality.

This pattern of doctors being threatened by the educated and empowered Nurse has continued to plague the working relationship in the healthcare system till today. I am therefore not surprised as the current situation is not peculiar to Nigeria.

The war between Nurse Practitioners and Doctors is still on even in the country with the supposedly most advanced nursing practice in the world, USA. However, it is being done using tact, legislative lobbying and empirical evidence. In Nigeria, professional civility and self respect has been thrown to the winds as some Nigerian doctors handle this situation in an appalling manner, using a combination of verbal brawl, comical assertions and frustrated rants. This betrays their characteristic ego-servicing claims of being the most knowledgeable member of the healthcare team.

I have been silent about the ongoing row between Doctors and other health professionals since its beginning. While my colleagues and friends from other health professions have continued to spit fire and brimstone deriding the doctors, my social media walls have been squeaky clean, devoid of such tirades. This is not because of lack of professional patriotism or inability to lay the bricks of words to construct a towering harangue about the issue. But, due to many reasons – personal, interpersonal and professional, I have kept my cool and refused to give in to cheap ineffective social media rants. However, when someone like the author of this article publicly displays crass ignorance of the nursing profession through a charisma-laden, highly bombastic but grossly information-deficient and intellectually-flawed article like this; I feel
forced to talk, better still, write.
READ: Ayokunle Ayk Fowosire: NMA Strike: Consultant, My Foot!

The incessant strikes in the health sector have rendered the system moribund over the years. The ongoing feud has further grounded the ailing system. This article is not meant to expatiate and justify the (absolutely justifiable!) position of nurses and other health professionals (that is reserved for another day), but to answer Mr Fowosire’s beautifully-written article, an A-rated effort in sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. As much as I am highly disconcerted and extremely irritated reading Mr Fowosire’s article, I will try not to walk the dishonourable path of name calling. Therefore, in order to answer his pathetic rants, I do not intend to join issues with him or stoop low to trade banters, but this article will address the misrepresentation of facts presented by the previous writer.

On this background I can begin to address Mr Fowosire’s points. Firstly, the author’s effrontery to undermine the knowledge base of graduate nurses in basic medical science courses is a display of nescience. I still remembered that when I was in second year in the university, we attended the same lectures and wrote same exams for Reproductive and Digestive physiology and Neuroanatomy courses with third year physiology and Biochemistry students. Are doctors not being taught physiology and Biochemistry by graduate physiologists and Biochemists? Maybe a graduate nurse can now boast that s/he was taught in the same class with your teacher. Also in our third year, we were taught pathology with the same note used for part four Medical student. My transcript still says I scored 77% on the same Histo and chemical pathology MCQ given to part four Medical students. How did I know this? We used part four medical students’ past MCQ questions to prepare for
exams.

I will not forget to let you know that as a part 4 undergrad, I led Nursing department team to victory over senior part 6 medical students’ team in an interdepartmental debate on bothering national and international health issues; not to talk of the fact that we attended the same lectures with medical student colleagues during first year in the university and some of us clearly surpassed most of them in first year academic performance. And this is not as a result of ‘la cram la pour’ as you said, because the consistency I, specifically and many of my colleagues have shown in academic and intellectual performance over the years could not have come by that. In addition, this ironing of facts should not be misconstrued for vain ego aggrandisement but to let Mr Fowosire, many other doctors like him and the general public know that many
Nurses (especially degree holders) did not do nursing because they are academically-impaired but because of their love for the profession and some because of the socio-political environment of securing admissions into University in Nigeria.

The question of who should lead the healthcare team has also been a long-standing one. While many developed countries have undergone the health management structure-shift from vertically structured systems to a matrix structure, Mr Fowosire and many Nigerian doctors like him still live in the dark ages clamouring for ‘oga- omo ise’ relationship within the healthcare team. They want the Medical doctor to be even the director of Hospital security. This is inane absurdity. The National Health Service UK has been named as the best performing national health system in the world many times. The NHS and Hospitals in the UK are being managed by managers who are recruited through the NHS management trainee scheme. These trainees come from myriads of field, from geography to history, what matters in their recruitment is intelligence and ability to provide creative solutions to health system problems. These are recruited into the management cadre and grow through the ranks mastering the dynamics of the health system until reaching the highest managerial post of the hospitals and NHS trusts. Space will fail me to talk about the US, Canada, Sweden and so on. However, a six hours flight down south to Nigeria, we have the best medical professors and consultants
wasting human resource by sitting down romanticising administration as CMDs, instead of taking care of the patients they claim to own. A predilection fuelled by the position-consciousness, power-hungry-proclivity, greed and corruption eating the fabrics of our society.

It is on ‘debatable‘ record that the best ever Minister for Health in Nigeria in performance was an economist not a Medical Doctor, Prof Eyitayo Lambo. The reason for that is not surprising, it is just common sense. A simple google-oracle consultation will show all his achievements as the longest serving Minister for Health in Nigeria. I will like to highlight that majority of my colleagues in graduating class 2012, Master in Health Planning and Management, University of Maiduguri, were seasoned consultants in different medical and surgical speciality from all over Northern Nigeria. However, I finished in top three out of the over forty six members of the class. Therefore, if the CMD position is filled based on performance and best management knowledge, skill and expertise, why should I not be lined up for consideration for such alongside my classmate medical consultants? Nevertheless, going by the meaning of CMD (Chief Medical Director), the inherent nominalistic connotation in this position is the reason why the doctors have made the position their exclusive preserve; a domain they plan to extend to commissioner for health and Minister for health positions too. As a responsible professional, in my personal opinion (which many of my colleagues may differ with) it will be clearly unreasonable to make a nurse the chief medical director. Notwithstanding, my proposition has always been, ‘why do we need a CMD if we have a CMAC?’ Therefore, I think the name CMD should be ditched and changed to favour international best practices. I think something like Chief Executive Officer or Chief Operating Officer as used in developed world should be adopted. This de-clutters the name and removes any exclusive preserve that medical doctors may lay hold on.

In trying to disparage and clarify Mr Fowosire’s embellished bombastic views of the superiority of the doctor over other health professionals, I mentioned my previous consultant classmates who I respect for their professional achievements in their field. I do not in any way use this to mean that I know what the consultants know about medicine, but I bet the consultants do not know what I know about nursing too. You do not compare grapes to mango. There is no basis for such. They are two different fruits. However, in your five-a-day dietary plan, you need to have both; one cannot replace another.
On this premise, if the dictionary meaning of the term consultant, which has been selfishly usurped by doctors, is ‘a specialist’; then, why should a nurse, pharmacist or Laboratory Scientist not be called a consultant in their field if they have gathered enough knowledge, skill and pompetency to attain such specialised level. An expert who gives advice on business even if he has never managed one single start-up is called a business consultant. This is the case in many other professions and vocations. Why will doctors refuse to face their own effectiveness in their profession? Why are they trying so hard to bar other professions from progressing?

The ludicrous height of Mr Fowosire’s display of crassude was the un- informed assertion that there are no male midwives in Nigeria. There is
nothing like tradition in an Evidence-driven age and there is nothing like Midwifery being the exclusive domains of female nurses. I am a male midwife registered and licensed to practice by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria. Male midwives have been produced and registered in Nigeriita since 2007 and I was one of the early set of male midwives to be registered in the country in 2009. I am proud to be who I am and I am striving to be the best at what I do. I only wonder where Mr Fowosire is undergoing his medical education if he is boldly casting such un-informed aspersion about Nigerian Nursing in 2014. Your stereotyped labelling of all male nurses as wanting to become a doctor can be forgiven as another symptom of your ‘hypo-exposure-induced myopia’.

Furthermore, Mr Fowosire tried to lark about, tinkering with words. He used a comparison of ‘doctored’ and ‘nursed’ as a contextual basis to make an assertion that we live in a society clouded by vanity. What a comedy? What a good understanding of English language? Nevertheless, I will ask, ‘why do we nurse children and not doctor them?’ ‘Why do we nurse ambitions…?’ ‘Why do we nurse wounds and pain…?’ I guess ‘nurse’ is not a bad verb after all; but why does the verb- ‘doctor’ sound like someone falsified claims, adulterated the original and committed fraud. This is exactly what the doctors in Nigeria are currently doing raising unfounded propaganda and spreading intentional half-truths and falsified claims about the essence of the ambitions of the other health professionals, an archetype of fraud.

Mr Fowosire, your fear and concern for the society and posterity in this issue is highly unnecessary and totally misplaced. Empirical evidence has it that Nurse-Led Units are making the difference in patient’s life in the developed world. In the UK, a Nurse led unit, Barking Community Hospital (Yes a nurse- led hospital) close by my apartment has MRI machine. How many Professor of Medicine-Led teaching hospitals in Nigeria have that? That is what you should be concerned about, the fact that our hospitals are ill-equipped for 21st century medical practice. What you should be getting concerned about is the fact that Community Health Extension Workers (CHEWs) are consulting at Paediatric Out-patient departments in State Owned supposed Specialist Hospitals in Nigeria. The fact that after government spend lots of money to train a doctor (common in Northern Nigeria) till he becomes a consultant in a rare speciality then he goes to sit in the office as a CMD while all the money
spent and specialist knowledge gained wastes. What you should be concerned about is the jungle medicine still being practiced in Nigerian teaching hospitals and many other cases of malpractice and negligence (documented by Olatunji Ololade in the Nation of 5th April, 2008), where doctors spent one month diagnosing a brain tumour as a sinusitis problem. And, most of all you should be very concerned about the fact that, after spending nine years for a six years course, you still have your part six MBBS exams to write. Until you become a fully certified medical doctor, your contributions in this debate are rather unwelcomed.

- Oladayo Afolabi is a trained Nurse-Midwife Researcher, Health Management
Consultant and Idea Driver for MACHE initiative Nigeria. He is currently
studying M.Sc. at London Metropolitan University on Dr. Muritala Muhammed
Postgraduate Scholarship. Twitter handle @deeone6603
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 7:33am On Jul 12, 2014
I don't expect a Doctor or any relative of a Doctor to agree with this article but the truth is that the time has come. The doctors are finaly going to lose respect in the eyes of the population. They have beed suspect all the while but this would represent their fall to grass from grace. From my conversation with folks on the development in the health sector and frm what I saw on Channels TV sunrisedaily yesterday, Doctors are going to lose a whole lot of respect by the time this is over no matter how relevant they are. Nigerians are now seeing them as selfish ambitious ppl more than the Nobles they ouught to be.

9 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by kaybosedemi(m): 7:35am On Jul 12, 2014
Quite on point.Until we see ourselves as partners in progress in all our endeavours, it will be very difficult for us to progress. I had an experience in one of the teaching hospitals in 2012. I felt so shocked with the way Nigerian doctors toy with patients lives. I believe most people study medicine cos of money and not passion.
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 7:36am On Jul 12, 2014
The Doctor I learnt gave Lagos state government all the troubles in the health sector with all the Lagos state Doctors strike is now a house member represnting Osun or Ondo state I am not sure. How true is that? I need confirmation.
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by jumpmasta(m): 7:37am On Jul 12, 2014
azimibraun: Imagine the author of this article working with an egoistic Doctor? The Doctor will frustrate him out of the Job. Nurses are caring but the Doctors have turned them into tigers and the patient now suffer. The anger of how the Doctors treat the nurses are transferd to the patinents. Tell me one doctor in Ur area that lives an ordinary life or has his ambition tied around the hospital? Na big dreamers dem be all. Club goers and womanizers. I know them and I see them. As a Youth copper served with them. All they tell you is what you don't expect from them. As if u are talking to wizkid or Dbanj. Doctor they ask abt shoe, shirt, watch, bling bling My doctors.
My child reasons better than you

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by captcochrane(m): 7:37am On Jul 12, 2014
@op, just to point out some funny points i read

you mentioned you were taught the same thing @ 100level with medical students, agreed!!

200level, you did anatomy, biochemistry and physiology, like they taught medical students? That's a very big lie, we take nursing students tutorials, we know what they know

300level, you were taught pathology like medical students of 400level? I laugh in spanish
firstly, you guys only do general pathology and it's totally peripheral, we all have friends or girlfriends studying nursing, we know what they do and what they know

You won a debate against medical students; debate is not only won by the topic of presentation, you have many points to consider

Also, all those courses you claim you did like medical students, most of it were taught by medical doctors, none of it was by a nurse, why? It's because you have {need} limited knowledge in that field

The major argument of doctors is that you guys do not know much when it comes to managing patients, who are the main target of a hospital which is secondary to what you were taught in school

Now i ask you, when you're sick, do you visit a fellow nurse or a doctor or both?

Finally, i put it to the op, tell me 5 areas in nursing that a doctor doesn't know

9 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by DrCobo(m): 7:37am On Jul 12, 2014
drcakes: Naija Nurses Forum

Igbojionu Ijeoma Joy >
Pls what is d best treatment to a 14wks primip who complains of having lower uterine contraction

Edafeadhe Onome:
Now that the doctors are on strike what will you do? Are you going to their houses and call them that a patient is having pre-term contractions. Say something reasonable.
This is the opportunity Nurses
have to prove their worth in the hospital.
Thanks for all your
contributions. What of Ergometrin or dexamethasone. These drugs helps to reduce spasms.

LMAO.....link or ah don beileve it grin
drcakes: Naija Nurses Forum

Igbojionu Ijeoma Joy >
Pls what is d best treatment to a 14wks primip who complains of having lower uterine contraction

Edafeadhe Onome:
Now that the doctors are on strike what will you do? Are you going to their houses and call them that a patient is having pre-term contractions. Say something reasonable.
This is the opportunity Nurses
have to prove their worth in the hospital.
Thanks for all your
contributions. What of Ergometrin or dexamethasone. These drugs helps to reduce spasms.

LMAO.....This is so sad and funny at the same time....link or ah don beileve it
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 12, 2014
uyplus:

Please tell me Pharmacist don't know anything too. That we Just dispense the drugs according to da docs prescription plan.. Loool.. glad Pharmacy has got a faculty of it's own and not under the Medical sciences.

My friend did his internship at LUTH and der was this incidence he gisted me about. A prescription came in for him to attend. It was written by a 'consultant' and when he was done screening the prescription, he noticed grave therapeutics errors. He then sent a stapled note back to the doc to review the prescription..and ds doc who claims to be all knowing sent the patient back and told him that if the pharmacist refuses to dispense the drugs, he should tell him. My friend just did the simplest thing. Went up to the consultant office, the consultant was so arrogant because he had Hs fellow consultants all sitted there. He just told the consultant, pleases counter sign this prescription and I will dispense it as soon as I leave your office. Guess what, the consultant never did and evn askd him what was wrong and he should suggest what changes needs to be made.

Now that is the attitude of an average doc. Do they evn know drugs? How many docs can convert international units to million units? And dey wear ward coat parading everywhere. Soon they will say only docs shd wear ward coats in the hospital. Who are they to say no other profession shd be called consultants and 'dr'. Bunch of eediots!!

very funny..consultants office..... so consultants nw have offices in the hospt...pls try another lie.... only HODs and administrators have 1...... what changes were made, give us a clear scenario and stop the lies.... anoda lie is saying dt docs don't know anytin abt drugs, get a life ....even in skull as students we give tutorials to pharmacy students ... we did pharmacology and we did medicine to learn hw to apply dem...did u?...ur major additions DT docs won't have is manufacturing of drugs, ... in d hospitals all u do is dispense drugs....the real pharmacist are in pharmaceutical companies making drugs. respect to dem.... d 1 in d hospitals just dispense drugs...or z der any tin u do relating to patients health again...?

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Ochek: 7:43am On Jul 12, 2014

Ignorance at its highest peak. Go borrow a curriculum of a BNSc student and get better informed. Your attempt at rubbishing other professional careers not MBBS shows how myopic you are. I can bet you are most likely a student cos your response to this article shows grave indiscipline which a well trained Doc knows better to handle.

9 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by drbigdaddyg(m): 7:45am On Jul 12, 2014
Well, the writer cited instances where he performed better than doctors in their training. I wish to say, we hv vacated the hosp for them to admit, manage/treat patients and discharge dem. We are all equal(as he claomed). Lets see wat happns. I will bet him that, he will tell us more hw better he is than doctors after. I hv respected ppl's view alot par their own view of d strike, but i won't let dem continue these their unfounded comparisons in wat a doctors and nurses can do. I bet him dat doctors can work comfortably without dem recording no mortality relatively.

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by otokx(m): 7:46am On Jul 12, 2014
The thing about discussing with people of low mentality is that they reduce you to their low level and then go further to finish you.

Look at the write up and the premise and logic build. So incoherent, hear the writer say he took classes with biochemistry and physiology students. Those are not medicine students, he did a debate with medicine students on international and national issues and he won. They did not debate on health issues. He wrote an exam based on past mcq of medicine. Chai - this must be an expose in low self esteem aka inferiority complex.

A nurse will always be a nurse and that is to care for the patient and aid the doctor. Be happy and content with what you do. This being content and proud of what you do is a problem in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by theplanmaker: 7:48am On Jul 12, 2014

you are clearly ignorant. you do not understand what nursing is.

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by DrCobo(m): 7:55am On Jul 12, 2014
Article written by a MALE nurse...LMAO....not surprised at all....All u male nurses...some of us know your motives... There iz Godu oo....contunu

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 12, 2014
"Practical Nurse Pledge",

Before God and those assembled here, I solemnly
pledge;
To adhere to the code of ethics of the nursing
profession;
To co-operate faithfully with the other members of the
nursing team and TO CARRY OUT FAITHFULLY AND TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE PHYSICIAN or
the nurse who MAY BE ASSIGNED to supervise my work;
I will not do anything evil or malicious and I will not
knowingly give any harmful drug or assist in
malpractice.
I will not reveal any confidential information that may
come to my knowledge in the course of my work.
And I pledge myself to do all in my power to raise the
standards and prestige of the practical nursing;
May my life be devoted to service and to the high ideals
of the nursing profession.

now they want to give, not take instructions.. lol

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

14-Year-Old Girl In Owerri Is HIV Positive After She Was Sexually Abused (Photos / Unvaccinated Tiktoker Begs People To Get Vaccinated, Before Dying Days Later / World AIDS Day: African Countries With The Highest Number Of HIV/AIDS Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.