Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,816 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. (32211 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by trila01(m): 7:59am On Jul 12, 2014
sexyexcalibur:

very funny..consultants office..... so consultants nw have offices in the hospt...pls try another lie.... only HODs and administrators have 1...... what changes were made, give us a clear scenario and stop the lies.... anoda lie is saying dt docs don't know anytin abt drugs, get a life ....even in skull as students we give tutorials to pharmacy students ... we did pharmacology and we did medicine to learn hw to apply dem...did u?...ur major additions DT docs won't have is manufacturing of drugs, ... in d hospitals all u do is dispense drugs....the real pharmacist are in pharmaceutical companies making drugs. respect to dem.... d 1 in d hospitals just dispense drugs...or z der any tin u do relating to patients health again...?
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Dnaz(m): 7:59am On Jul 12, 2014
POLITICAL PROFESSIONALISM; A MISPLACEMENT OF
PASSION AND ABUSE OF PRECEDENCE
I remember in 2005 when I applied for an admission to
study Medicine and was offered Biochemistry. I rejected it
and applied again, this time I was given Chemistry, the
“Bio” was removed, lolz. I was again offered Physiology/
Pharmacology in almighty Unijos (great is the name), I
reluctantly accepted it this time but told myself I’ll go
back for medicine after graduation. Two years into this
five years course, I fell in love with it. The difference is not
much as it is a combination of medicine and pharmacy.
The same lecturers for medical and pharmaceutical
students gave me lectures, including practical. After
graduation we were inducted (oat taking), sent on
internship – just like medical doctors.
Note: we used same lecturers, lecture halls, same
textbooks (Gython and Hall, Tripati, Ganon, Rang and Dale
etc.), same laboratories etc. with medical students
because we were doing almost same course. The fact is
that we are health practitioners; the truth is that we are
NOT medical doctors as there is nothing like “almost a
medical doctor” you are either a medical doctor or u are
not! After graduation, some of my class mates who
suffered the same fate as me went back for medicine but I
didn’t see any reason anymore to do so. They went back
because they knew they are not medical doctors despite…….
I did a double honor course n I am happy today that even if
I’m offered an admission with a salary to go and study
medicine today, I will not go. It’s only “no do wells” that
envy other people's profession.
I also remember few years ago when there was this
“madness” for everyone to study nursing. Men and women
went into the nursing profession because there was a high
demand and pay for them in the U.S, Australia, and U.K
etc. nobody talked about the doctors cos nurses were
“popular demand”. My question is, can any JOHESU show
me any of these nurses over there that is or was made
CMD? There will always be an order of precedence. This
is arrant nonsense, madness! No matter how a recruit
thinks he knows how to write statement or handle cases
more than a DPO, he can never head a division. JOHESU
should stop this fight of jealousy, envy and professional
encroachment! It doesn’t make sense to me or to any
reasonable and just person.
What i see in the health profession now is what I call;
Political Professionalism; office encroachment;
Misplacement of Passion and Abuse of Precedence.
People should learn to tell each other the truth. JOHESU
needs to be told the truth. The leaderships are using your
finances to better their lives and tell you they are fighting
your course, which course? License you as doctors?
That’s only when you can head a hospital. That’s just a
misleading fact, the truth is that it’s not late for you to go
back to school and become a doctor.
How on earth do people think, with their anus? How can a
certified medical doctor take directives/instructions from a
nurse, pharmacist, herbalist, mechanic, etc. all in the
name of JOHESU? What would you do in that post? This is
simply envy and jealousy but out of place cos I remember,
in my 200level we were almost 90 in number but in
300level we were a little more than 70. In graduation, less
than 50 made it. Many voluntarily withdrew cos to them
the work load was too much for just one certificate, others
were asked to withdraw cos they seem not to belong there
with what they were putting in.
By tomorrow, even babalawos and witch doctor, people u
studied physical n health in education will want head
hospitals; after all they’re even doctors by profession,
lolz. The gap is so much that doctors can do without
JOHESU but I bet you, you can’t do medicals without
doctors, let’s be frank. Isn’t it obvious that while doctors
are on strike people lament and beg doctors to come back,
are you not there JOHESU? I think that tells you where you
belong. If JOHESU is as good as NMA why will patients
cry the absence of doctors from hospitals?
Today people are dying in the hospitals just because one
man has refused to stay in his place. I know JOHESU
thinks they “know the job better than doctors” that’s a
fact. The truth is, no matter how big a butterfly grows, it
can never be a bird “let every man stay in the profession
wherein he is called and be the best there, to avoid noise
making” why won’t nurses make auxiliary or nurses from
nursing schools Chief Matrons? After all they are more
practical than the B.Sc nurses!
Let’s respect each other’s office. We need each other but
the order of precedence must be observed and respected.
If u still think what a doctor can do, JOHESU can do better,
I tell you, you are only being sentimental not rational.
And if you still want to head a hospital, that won’t be a
problem but pls, go back to school. But if you think that’s
too much at this stage, pls go and hug a transformer.
# sosayslolo

8 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 7:59am On Jul 12, 2014
This will sure Hurt any doctor or a relative of a doctor. So dnt gt mad when u get insulted for supporting the article and even trying butress what the article represents. Its typical of Nigerians, we always stand by our breadwinners no matter how wrong they are. This is the moment of truth for the doctors. They need to be put in their proper place. We can't seatback and watch sm ppl become too powerful beyond our control. They are paid with taxpayers money and so must be responsible.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by poiZon: 7:59am On Jul 12, 2014
kbshow100: Not ready to read to read that stuff (too long). I need summary

like u do summarize love making wif those gehls. bro like lovemaking THE LONGER THE SWEETER.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Onlinebizexpert(m): 8:00am On Jul 12, 2014
azimibraun: The only disagreement I have with this write is the fact tha, he doesn't understand why the Doctors want to be incharge. If doctors don't manage the hospitals as chief Medical directors(cmd) how does he want them to raise money for the political ambitions and plans of owning big churches? The Doctor needs to have a budget and award contracts to make money and become a Senator, Governor, House member and General Overseer. Check the Nigerian senate and various churches and private hospitals and u wll understand what am talking about.

shey na the same indian doctors they pursue commot abuja because their medical attributes was nothing to write home about

a doctor is not a god he can make mistake

do not let your conscience be clouded by sentiments

thank you sir

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Waspy(m): 8:00am On Jul 12, 2014
VirginFinder: Honestly, a male nurse should be ashamed of himself.

I will never open my eyes and allow my son to study nursing and physio...

If he doesn't want to study medicine or pharmacy, he should forget it.

To me, a nurse is to a doctor what a secretary is to her boss.

The gender that readily comes to mind when you hear 'Nurse' or 'Secretary' is female.

Women in these professions have gladly taken on these roles without aspiring to be like their bosses until sissies and wussies joined their ranks.

In the medical profession, the doctor is king!
Your ignorance will be cleared when you are enlightened.... the author of the article is a male with a friable stature

6 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Onlinebizexpert(m): 8:01am On Jul 12, 2014
justi4jesu:

angry angry

honey what now
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by infolekan(m): 8:01am On Jul 12, 2014
The writer is highly intelligent and hasn't spoken an untrue word.
The issue of MRI in every hospital can't be over stretched....that's the norm in UK. Nigeria is a struggling country in all ramifications and lack of MRI isn't because of the doctors but the country. He's talking of MRI in the hospitals when out secondary schools don't even have class rooms. That's a problem of every sector in Nigeria.
I can tell you first hand that Doctors in UK or US or most other countries live far above the average Doctor here or Nurses at that.
The Nurses are not really involved in this fight because majority if them went to Nursing school and don't even have a degree to start with.
The issue of CMD I think is peculiar to Nigeria and I personally don't care who is the CMD as long as the hospital gets better for it. But we all know everyone is fighting for money so I can't begrudge anyone that.
The guy said a lot of half truths for someone that has worked over there.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Morotov1(m): 8:03am On Jul 12, 2014
otokx: The thing about discussing with people of low mentality is that they reduce you to their low level and then go further to finish you.

Look at the write up and the premise and logic build. So incoherent, hear the writer say he took classes with biochemistry and physiology students. Those are not medicine students, he did a debate with medicine students on international and national issues and he won. They did not debate on health issues. He wrote an exam based on past mcq of medicine. Chai - this must be an expose in low self esteem aka inferiority complex.

A nurse will always be a nurse and that is to care for the patient and aid the doctor. Be happy and content with what you do. This being content and proud of what you do is a problem in Nigeria.
OBEMBE look ALIKE. The guy has been spewing brimstone about nurses all over the internet, national dailies and television that people are beginning to wonder what exactly is with this guy. You spend time belittling nurses only when you felt threatened by them, and i think doctors should be because if ever FG will look for other alternative; nurses will be their first point of call.
With 2 or 3 years of update course or scheduled masters degree channelled towards patients care........we will have mid-level players as they have in US and some other developed countries that have a goal of sprouting us out of our 182 or 192 position we are in.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by trila01(m): 8:05am On Jul 12, 2014
R u 4 real.. so D seat by d hosp corridors to write prescriptions
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by justi4jesu(f): 8:06am On Jul 12, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

honey what now

lmao...dont honey me, you know wat u did up der undecided
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by FDenigma: 8:08am On Jul 12, 2014
Please, Mr. Oladayo Afolabi, a trained Nurse-Midwife Researcher, Health Management
Consultant and Idea Driver for MACHE initiative Nigeria, etc,... can you swear by Ogun that you did not ever seek admission to read MEDICINE?

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by apacheguy: 8:08am On Jul 12, 2014
Let all other professionals in the medical field join the debate so we can have a clearer pictures of the issue at hand, i salute the writer for a well written argument against the actions of the doctors, knowledge of health care services and knowledge of healthcare management though very similar, they re not the same, as such, intelligence nd administrative skills are imperative which i believe every profession in the medical field should be able to handle and shouldnt be exclusive right of the doctors, doctors in Nigeria over the years have enjoyed undue respect and overdue comfort, which account for many attrocities and blunders being committed by them....instances of wrong diagnosis and incompetence are abound, leading to deaths from minor diseases, wrong diagnosis of minor injuries resulting into complications....this is the time to check their excesses and challenge them to b upright

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by otagbuegede: 8:10am On Jul 12, 2014
I laugh in french...after sharing the same curriculum in school wit the doctor, do yu go to see a fellow nurse when yu r sick? and some one opened his filthy mouth calling doctors bunch of idiots. God help us all

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 8:10am On Jul 12, 2014
^^ " pls go and Hug a transformer" " a police recruit will never head a division" that is a proffesional talking o! Naija is doomed. My inlaw started as a recruit he now heads a division even wen ur analogy is completly out of context as it hs nothing to do with the topic. Dynamism is part of our everyday life. If a doctor heads an Hospital and gv intructions or orders ato the pharmacist and nurses as you put it because that's what is obtainable, what happens overtime when further modificcation to our public health policies and the pharmacist or nurse as a result of further studies and qualification in line with existing laws now qualifies to head an hospital? The doctor will be 2 big to work with him? I won't use take orders like u did because I know its a team work in the hospital. My guy change is hard to accept but the eventualy come to stay.

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by retepmurt(m): 8:11am On Jul 12, 2014
The general impression be say nurses are 'sexual materials' to Doctors in the hospital.
No be me talk am o bt na people talk am.
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by nursemyke: 8:11am On Jul 12, 2014
heykims: With all due respect,a medical doctor's line of duty can never be threatened by a nurse, what do nurses know?
A nurse is only there to carry out d plans documented by d doctor, their job is just to execute d doctors' order, so i don't see any threat to d line of profession of a magistrate who sentences by d prison officials who carries out d order.
As such, d little clinical experience re only derived when carrying out d docs' plan of management, so they then get to learn different lines of management of various health conditions from d docs' documentation, they av no formal training.
Nursing students ain't taught ow to examine patients nd neither do they acquire skills of diagnosing in school (who will even teach them when even d qualified nurses don't know it coz it isn't required to discharge their duties), so i then begin to wonder if it is even appropriate for
nurses to establish coz they don't av d formal training to manage patients..
In fact it is funny nd i see it abnormal also coz once a nurse graduates from school wt a degree (Bnsc or so), she doesnt require any further education to get promotion to d highest nursing rank, she/he just sits carrying out docs' plan nd promotion keeps coming wt years spent. This is absurd..
I quite disagree with you, I am a degree holder in nursing from ABU Zaria. Just like the OP said we have great training in clinical and nursing diagnosis. I was taught physical examination by Prof Okpapi, I learnt under Prof Onyemelukwe, Abdul Aguye and other professor. Prof Rafindadi now at University of Lokoja taught me clinical pathology. I did gross anatomy, and every other preclinical courses, are they to make me physician aid or a better Patient carer ? I am proud to be a nurse and doing it well. Currently am into advanced nursing practice and been assisting in research and training of residents who has passed part 1 in both west Africa college and national post graduate college and the who went for primaries. Look there paradigm shift in the health care sector now. Every professional is as important as the other

9 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 12, 2014
Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by FDenigma: 8:12am On Jul 12, 2014
Otokx is right. Be content in your position. The only thing uniting JOHESU is doctor-phobia (or perverted doctor-philia?).

Soon, within JOHESU, nurses, pharmacist and their allied para-medical professions will start their own tussle.

RN vs. B. Sc Nursing has already started.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by omicron(m): 8:13am On Jul 12, 2014
Everyone must get back to the drawing board

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Mbediogu(m): 8:14am On Jul 12, 2014
what course will you sit with a consultant when you were not eligible to mbbs?-just asking. There have been attempts in the past by Nigerian politicians to rail road nurses into the medical profession by sending them to England for 3months, and I think that is where the impetus originated. A business man who has the means can bring in MRI and other equipment lacking in government hospitals, it does not matter if he is a nurse or not. Professional, I would like to know if the nurse is the one requesting, operating, and interpreting the results. Is he the one managing the diagnosed results of his tests with 4yr B.sc training? Never mind that he may be mission hospital trained

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 12, 2014
I could see even from the beginning of your write up that it was all borne out of bitterness and ego. You tried to feed the public with lies and inaccuracies on how your training is close to that of doctors. FYI reproductive and digestive physiology plus neuroanatomy is a small part of the curriculum of basic medical science. I did teach some nursing sisters in my basic medical science years and I remember vividly my amusement at how shallow the course materials are. It is however not intended to make them doctors so it is understandable. Medicine is not cult. It is open to everyone who has sufficient motivation. Some of my classmates in med school were nurses who wanted to move up the ladder. Why is this generation of allied health professionals trying to take the short cut. BTW over 70% of the senior nurses in Nigeria have basic nursing certification plus extra training not BSc nursing.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 8:18am On Jul 12, 2014
Can the physician alone do the job? That is just one person's opinion. Its jst semantic. Ppl's relationship smtime if cordial makes them overlook policies. To (aid) a physician is strictly does not translate to bin a servant of the physician. The work is cut out for both parties by the laws governing the hospital and practice. Let the chief pharnacist head the pharmacy dept, let the chief Nursing officer head the Nursing dept, let a chief or Senior doctor head the doctors as an adminitrator or any of the chiefs frm the various depts can head the hospital. It mst not be the Doctors only.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by rofemiguwa(f): 8:18am On Jul 12, 2014
It is unbeliveable how u people come up with a lie and stick to iT even tiLl death , even when the truth is evident u still stick to ur lie. U wanna swear that it is a doctor that tot u anatomy, pphysiogy, biochemistry, pharmacology. U guys are unbelivable. The only time u encounter ur doctors is when u pass ur part 1 and start clinicals. Stop telling white lies. Up till den. It is the same gross anatomy, neuro anatomy, histology, physiology, biochemistry. that is being tot, it is the same exams given. It is the same steeple chase, the same viva, it is the same cadavar that is being cut. The groups are made up of.
Stop lying to the world. The know the truth. And no the fact u study pharcomolgy one semester doesn't make u know more that someone that studied pharcomolgy for 5 years.the fact u brush through the laB during one semester or u ppass tru radiology during one posting doesn't mean u know jack about this other profession. Stick to medicine it is ur calling pleaseeeeee let others do wat they spent five years pluS oneyr intenship doing.
Let them grow and advance in their field.
I don't see the pharmacist wanting to be a consultant surgeon.
This power tussle is crazy.
Live and let us live biko!
captcochrane: @op, just to point out some funny points i read

you mentioned you were taught the same thing @ 100level with medical students, agreed!!

200level, you did anatomy, biochemistry and physiology, like they taught medical students? That's a very big lie, we take nursing students tutorials, we know what they know

300level, you were taught pathology like medical students of 400level? I laugh in spanish
firstly, you guys only do general pathology and it's totally peripheral, we all have friends or girlfriends studying nursing, we know what they do and what they know

You won a debate against medical students; debate is not only won by the topic of presentation, you have many points to consider

Also, all those courses you claim you did like medical students, most of it were taught by medical doctors, none of it was by a nurse, why? It's because you have {need} limited knowledge in that field

The major argument of doctors is that you guys do not know much when it comes to managing patients, who are the main target of a hospital which is secondary to what you were taught in school

Now i ask you, when you're sick, do you visit a fellow nurse or a doctor or both?

Finally, i put it to the op, tell me 5 areas in nursing that a doctor doesn't know

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by infolekan(m): 8:19am On Jul 12, 2014
Morotov1: OBEMBE look ALIKE. The guy has been spewing brimstone about nurses all over the internet, national dailies and television that people are beginning to wonder what exactly is with this guy. You spend time belittling nurses only when you felt threatened by them, and i think doctors should be because if ever FG will look for other alternative; nurses will be their first point of call.
With 2 or 3 years of update course or scheduled masters degree channelled towards patients care........we will have mid-level players as they have in US and some other developed countries that have a goal of sprouting us out of our 182 or 192 position we are in.
And you seem to think the major problem with that isn't our health facilities? We just don't have the equipments. Name any sector in Nigeria where we have any facility in the top 100 anything in the world.
Read about malpractice in the US or UK with their advanced machines and you'll realise half of what it takes to make a diagnosis.
For me.....Nurses and Pharmacists are professionals in their field,we just need a proper job description.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by dexterinc2003: 8:19am On Jul 12, 2014
Once again....i would like 2 remix a previous post.. wink

Kubbler Ross stages of grief........

1.DENIAL
2.ANGER
3.BARGAINING
4.DEPRESSION
5.ACCEPTANCE

The FG is on stage 3(BARGAINING)...while JOHESU is on stage 4(DEPRESSION)....the unfortunate general populace is on stage 2(ANGER).
The strike will be called off when everyone meets at stage 5(ACCEPTANCE).
Tilll then,keep dropping your comments while avoiding the needful.
Im waiting for the slow olodo still on stage 1(DENIAL)to come and quote me.

6 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by nationwide24: 8:23am On Jul 12, 2014
Oya, mek consultant nurses go open teaching hospitals and FMCs and start attending to patients only then will this view hold water.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by donodion(m): 8:24am On Jul 12, 2014
Nurses are vibing.Kudos to these Angels in white.I love Nurses

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by azimibraun: 8:24am On Jul 12, 2014
Florence no florence we have a peculiar case hia and we mst treat it our own way in line with international best practice if need be. This cheap floren Nightingale is not my major concer. Let's fix this mess doctors are creating. Thos sayin hw can a nurse head the hospital are jst not serious. U make it sound as if its a nurse or pharmacist with 2 yrs experience. A pharmacist with 20yrs and above experience in the hospital with adittional qualification in management studdies will run a hospital and even a Nurse with same. Let non practitioners run our hospitals. At most let the NUC introduce a new course in our universities to train mamnagers to run public health institutions. Doctors, Nurses and Pharmacist with the others should face their chosen proffession.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by otagbuegede: 8:27am On Jul 12, 2014
I luv this nightingale pledge thing clearly spelt out and highlighted for these nurses esp the male ones who probably would be answering doctor in his village or neighbourhood nd also displaying gigantic stethoscope in his car lol. Doctor WANNABES

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. by yomi007k(m): 8:27am On Jul 12, 2014
ignis: Are medical practitioners supposed to even embark on strike?
I thought the major driving force to the profession is passion to save lives.
They do so everywhere in the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

14-Year-Old Girl In Owerri Is HIV Positive After She Was Sexually Abused (Photos / Unvaccinated Tiktoker Begs People To Get Vaccinated, Before Dying Days Later / World AIDS Day: African Countries With The Highest Number Of HIV/AIDS Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.