Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,533 members, 7,801,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue (2793 Views)

Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Has Denominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 9:42pm On Jul 12, 2014
What is atheism

1)A disbelief in God?
2)A lack of theism?
3)A belief that God doesnt exist (or there is no God)

These three definitions have very different meanings.

The 3rd definition clearly implies that God doesnt exist- which would eliminate agnostics and "weak atheists"
The 2nd definition clearly implies that it is just a lack of belief- which would include babies, agnostic and all atheists
The 1st defintion clearly implies a positive disbelief- which would exclude babies (but still includes agnostics and atheists)

Another confusing issue is the fact that the word "atheism" shouldnt exist considering the fact that there is no word for those who do not believe in the toothfairy or unicorns.

The atheist/agnostic divide is another confusing issue. Agnostics are atheists in the sense that they also lack a belief in God (definition no 2).

Another confusing issue is that atheists can be religious despite atheism not being a religion. Buddhism is an atheistic religion according to some of its sects.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Busuyib(f): 9:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
Hmm
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 9:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
Busuyib: Hmm
pensive
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
From the dictionary :

atheism /ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

The key word is "existence " so the answer is 3.

Atheists do not believe in the existence of god.
In other words,.atheists do not believe that God exists.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by MizMyColi(f): 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2014
cool Following.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2014
Apatheist: From the dictionary :

The key word is "existence " so the answer is 3.

Atheists do not believe in the existence of god.
In other words,.atheists do not believe that God exists.

There is no wrong definition among the three....they are all valid

You only picked the one you prefer
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 12, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

There is no wrong definition among the three....they are all valid

You only picked the one you prefer
Numbers 1 and 3 are the same.

1)A disbelief in God?
is the same thing as this:
3)A belief that God doesnt exist (or there is no God)

What do you mean by a "lack of theism" in number 2?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 10:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
Apatheist:

Eba and soaked garri are the same undecided
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2014
Apatheist:
is the same thing as this:

What do you mean by a "lack of theism" in number 2?

1) Is a disbelief

3) Is a belief
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
And your point is?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

1) Is a disbelief

3) Is a belief
Explain?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 10:58pm On Jul 12, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: And your point is?

other than the fact that you're a festering boil on Satan's dark azz cheek?

The point is that atheism is not easy to define
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:33am On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

other than the fact that you're a festering boil on Satan's dark azz cheek?

The point is that atheism is not easy to define

Atheism is the opposite of theism.
Do you want a definition of theism?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 3:21am On Jul 13, 2014
God is even harder to define than the word atheism. It literally varies from person to person. Atheist wouldn't be so ambiguous a word if there was only one God.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by UrbanMystique: 2:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
well number 1 is just perfect.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by mmsen: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
I don't go around telling people that I'm anything (atheist, agnostic etc.) I simply explain that I don't believe in whatever horseshit that they are trying to peddle and watch the frustration mount up.

5 Likes

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
atheism and islam are both sides of the same coin. they exist primarily as an opposition to the Christ.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan: atheism and islam are both sides of the same coin. they exist primarily as an opposition to the Christ.
You know there are thousands of religions, right? you know they don't believe in your christ, right?

What's with Christians and their persecution complex? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
Apatheist:
You know there are thousands of religions, right? you know they don't believe in your christ, right?

What's with Christians and their persecution complex? undecided

such "persecution complex" exists only in your minds. I dont think christians feel persecuted by atheists as much as atheists WANT to think so... at least it gives them a validation for their caterwauling. It is true that there are thousands of religions... but none get the attention of atheists as much as christianity... if in doubt please go through these pages. It is assumed to be the religion section but you will very rarely find a thread atheists dedicate to ridiculing ifa priests for example.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

such "persecution complex" exists only in your minds. I dont think christians feel persecuted by atheists as much as atheists WANT to think so... at least it gives them a validation for their caterwauling. It is true that there are thousands of religions... but none get the attention of atheists as much as christianity... if in doubt please go through these pages. It is assumed to be the religion section but you will very rarely find a thread atheists dedicate to ridiculing ifa priests for example.
Congratulations, you just succeeded in saying nothing meaningful.

Atheists criticize Christianity most because they were former atheist -- most of them,anyway.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
Apatheist:
Congratulations, you just succeeded in saying nothing meaningful.

Atheists criticize Christianity most because they were former atheist -- most of them,anyway.

I take it you mean you had no meaningful riposte so you took the usual ad hominems route? Take a look at the highlighted... does that make sense to you?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 6:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

It is assumed to be the religion section but you will very rarely find a thread atheists dedicate to ridiculing ifa priests for example.

I have never met an Ifa priest, but I know lots of Christians and Muslimz. My criticism is proportionate to the number of adherents per religion.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Davidylan!!!!

You don come again!!!!! angry angry angry

Derailer, MAKE I NO SLAP SENSE COMMOT YA HEAD angry angry angry
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
mmsen: I don't go around telling people that I'm anything (atheist, agnostic etc.) I simply explain that I don't believe in whatever horseshit that they are trying to peddle and watch the frustration mount up.

That's a good one

noted. wink
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Atheism is the opposite of theism.
Do you want a definition of theism?

Theism is a belief in god or gods......
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

I take it you mean you had no meaningful riposte so you took the usual ad hominems route? Take a look at the highlighted... does that make sense to you?
Typo. embarassed
What I meant to say: Atheists usually criticize Christianity because they used to be Christians -- most of them anyway.

It was in response to this:
davidylan:
but none get the attention of atheists as much as christianity... if in doubt please go through these pages. It is assumed to be the religion section but you will very rarely find a thread atheists dedicate to ridiculing ifa priests for example.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan: atheism and islam are both sides of the same coin. they exist primarily as an opposition to the Christ.

True, but for entirely different reasons. The atheist believes that Christ is a fictional character or just the name of some random illusionist. The followers of Islam believe that he was a prophet sent from another imaginary God called Allah. So far all the evidence points to the fictional character scenario, nothing has been able to link Christ to reality other than conjecture, non sequitur, and anecdotes.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
Weah96:

I have never met an Ifa priest, but I know lots of Christians and Muslimz. My criticism is proportionate to the number of adherents per religion.

Because, frankly, you've never been interested in looking. Members of my own extended family were ogun worshipers... complete with a shrine.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Davidylan!!!!

You don come again!!!!! angry angry angry

Derailer, MAKE I NO SLAP SENSE COMMOT YA HEAD angry angry angry

and your point is?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
Apatheist:
Typo. embarassed
What I meant to say: Atheists usually criticize Christianity because they used to be Christians -- most of them anyway.

It was in response to this:

Not really... a ton of people are "christians" in name only or by association only. A lot of people also identify as "christian" solely because they were not born muslim. This is a feckless, weak argument that i hear all the time as justification for why only christianity, and no other religion, brings out the same foaming in the mouth noise making from atheists.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
Weah96:

True, but for entirely different reasons. The atheist believes that Christ is a fictional character or just the name of some random illusionist. The followers of Islam believe that he was a prophet sent from another imaginary God called Allah. So far all the evidence points to the fictional character scenario, nothing has been able to link Christ to reality other than conjecture, non sequitur, and anecdotes.

and this is of relevance to the atheist because? There are many other "fictional characters"... why is this one of most importance to you that you spend a whopping amount of your time caterwauling about?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Because, frankly, you've never been interested in looking. Members of my own extended family were ogun worshipers... complete with a shrine.

I don't have to look for Christians either. They make themselves available.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

RCCG Sack Pastor Toyin Ogundipe For Inviting Pasuma To Perform At A Crusade / I Bought This Drink Today With 666 On It / Angry Corpse Refuses To Be Buried In Akwa Ibom (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.