Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You (16507 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 13, 2014
I believe in maintaining a balance between being a family woman and a career woman.In a situation when one has to suffer,let it be the latter.The family remains the smallest unit of a society,if it's foundation is lacking, the society must be negatively affected.Ironically, the same society you are trying to improve.

Talk about making a break through in science using your own son as Specimen A.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by ireneidiva(f): 8:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
Following
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
Ngokafor:

...It was a gradual thing just before we got married..I honestly do not feel so bad cos apart from the fact that he was polite with his suggestions and made so much sense with his legendary 'sweet mouth ' lol,(not the teaching suggestion though embarassed)my work is becoming more demanding so i dont think i can cope for much longer..something has got to give..
...My ambition to be very very successful will not wane but i have decided to be smart about it.

Lol @ bolded. "Legendary Sweet mouth" grin .
The ... Bright side is you've Adapted to the situation.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

You are really smart, bold and a goal oriented strong black woman. Someone a particular breed of men would find interesting.

But on the downside I have sensed after stumbling on your posts before is that you have this constant desire to argue and contend with men, their opinions, their decision, treating every contact with a man as a battle for superiority.

I might be wrong tho.
#Just saying

You are right BUT you would be 100 % right if you wrote that I have a "constant desire to argue with" a very special sort of men wink

#teamGermany
#Neuerisdamnhot
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
crackhaus: These things are not black or white.
Who says a career oriented and highly ambitious woman can not also be there for her children and family?

There are ways around these things that work for heaven's sake...unless the woman is just plain lazy, which is where problem arises.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
crackhaus: These things are not black or white.
Who says a career oriented and highly ambitious woman can not also be there for her children and family?

There are ways around these things that work for heaven's sake...unless the woman is just plain lazy, which is where problem arises.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
cheesy smiley wink cool
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by temi4fash(m): 11:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
I don't av problems with both parents being goal oriented, driven and the likes... But most times from experience from a lot of my parents friends the homefront suffers... And I mean the kids... We have a very close family friend whose wife is a director in an international bank, the husband is a regional manager... Very beautiful careers.. But they don't know their kids.. Dat family bond is not there... I tink its best when opposite gets married... Weda its d man dat get d family together or the woman so far its done...

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
temi4fash: I don't av problems with both parents being goal oriented, driven and the likes... But most times from experience from a lot of my parents friends the homefront suffers... And I mean the kids... We have a very close family friend whose wife is a director in an international bank, the husband is a regional manager... Very beautiful careers.. But they don't know their kids.. Dat family bond is not there... I tink its best when opposite gets married... Weda its d man dat get d family together or the woman so far its done...

I think it is best if children know both parents equally well.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by temi4fash(m): 11:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I think it is best if children know both parents equally well.
how wuld dai do dat?... When d parents are never around...
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
temi4fash: how wuld dai do dat?... When d parents are never around...

Having a career does not necessarily mean that you have no time for other things.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by temi4fash(m): 11:27pm On Jul 13, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Having a career does not necessarily mean that you have no time for other things.
well dai don't... Atleast not the day to day running of d home... And d obly free day most times is saturday.. U still gat to go for some owanbes... Really complicated...
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
temi4fash: well dai don't... Atleast not the day to day running of d home... And d obly free day most times is saturday.. U still gat to go for some owanbes... Really complicated...

My father always says that there is a solution to every problem wink
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by temi4fash(m): 6:46am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

yeah... Ur father is very right and the solution is these case is one person giving up his career for the homefront... Which goes back to the Op idealogies...
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by justi4jesu(f): 7:02am On Jul 14, 2014
Following
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Afrocatalyst: 7:07am On Jul 14, 2014
Well,that depends on your choice of how u want to build ur home.
As u lay ur bed,so u lie on it!
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Joel3(m): 7:22am On Jul 14, 2014
i think we have treated this topic before? Why do I have feeling that the op might be carefreewannabe who only user another moniker to popup this again since the former thread is gone due to the recent attack.

It was a complete debate between carefreewannabe, loreta_u and we. We silent them from the debate. Dailynews Well i just imagine what the username of loreta will look like now.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 7:43am On Jul 14, 2014
You trashed who?
You must be high on paw paw leaf joel.

How are you doing?
Joel3: i think we have treated this topic before? Why do I have feeling that the op might be carefreewannabe who only user another moniker to popup this again since the former thread is gone due to the recent attack.

It was a complete debate between carefreewannabe, loreta_u and we. We silent them from the debate. Dailynews Well i just imagine what the username of loreta will look like now.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 7:49am On Jul 14, 2014
This is where people get it wrong.
There's a need for balance yes but it doesn't have to be only the woman trying to balance career and family.
A man should too. This is because the two parents have different important roles to pay in the children's life. One can't be both at the same time. It's healthy if the father steps up too and makes time for his family busy career or not. Even Obama has time for his kids how much more ordinary men. It is only those who don't realize their roles in their children's lives that will go ahead and pursue career 24/7 because they are content with the wife only being with the kids all the time.
Such homes lack balance too.the man will only become a meal ticket and not an intimate daddy to his children. It affects children and has led to plenty of divorces.

So the earlier guys stopped reasoning that it's ok for them to face career at the expense of family,the better for more families around
lynpetra: I believe in maintaining a balance between being a family woman and a career woman.In a situation when one has to suffer,let it be the latter.The family remains the smallest unit of a society,if it's foundation is lacking, the society must be negatively affected.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by jhidey08(m): 7:49am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:
wot do u mean by pursuing ur career? Wot career do u want 2 pursue dat won't make u av tym 4 ur kids? Wot do u tink ur primary responsibility is? Wot's d essence of pursuing ur so called career and u don't av tym 4 ur child(ren). U can't possibly mix 2 tins 2geda and succeed, it's either u do a less tym demanding job and av tym 4 ur family or u're alwys engaged at work at d xpense of ur family. And mind u, dere is truly solution 2 every problem, bt 1 don't alwys find d solution.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by kaboninc(m): 7:56am On Jul 14, 2014
sholasholala: Your friend's point makes sense.
Personally, I have dreams and whenever I think of my plans for myself (career wise), I try to fit my husband and kids in and I finally realized that I can't fully engage in what I want to do if I want to always be there for my kids.
I know that I have to compromise at some point for the sake of my family (especially my kids). But that doesn't mean I will totally abandon my dream and become a full time house wife. No. My career will take a slow pace till my kids grow to a certain age.
50 trillion likes!!! My kind of woman. Success has a unique definition for everybody. Find yours and don't copy others.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 14, 2014
To each his own....
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Damyion(m): 8:03am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Believe it or not, I do NOT have a problem with men, I have a problem with stupidity, be it male or female, and most of all stupid people who want to lead others.
How come? You just had problems with two male nairalanders... *picks race*
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by elected(m): 8:07am On Jul 14, 2014
Ngokafor:

....@Op your freind's view is actually very common amongst successful men in this part of the world.

....As much as i understand their point of view,it simply stifles the innate desires of some women to be very successful in their chosen carreers..at the end of the day it will be said that Nigerian women are not as ambitious as their counter-parts in other parts of the world...forgetting the fact that marriage,culture does not encourage such ambitions.

....It is really not fair at all after all the education..I am a 'victim' of such view.As a matter of fact,if my partner has his way,he will rather i become a teacher in a reputable school so that i can have time for the kids when they come and for him as well(to use his words).He even subtly hinted that he would add to whatever i would earn as a teacher if i feel it is too small,this was someone who was so supportive of my carreer and ambitions when we just started dating.

....The truth of the matter is that i kind of understand his stance..i am beginning to put in more work hours in the office and as such the home front may suffer..so it may be goodbye very soon to my ambitions of being an Executive and a welcome to the world of private business.

I took a ride with aprofessor in Münich university(Germany). We had time to talk a lot about the present situation of africa as continent. The only solution he has for aafrica, is to massively educate our women, so they can pass the simple education to our kids thereby creating a better generation in the nearest future, since children are closer to their mom.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Horlawoomey(m): 8:08am On Jul 14, 2014
I will love to have a wife who is a Nurse, Teacher or simply a business woman who will have time for me and the children. Reason being that all the great ambition, career, success and money, they are all useless if one can't have a happy home. So she should leave me to do the major part of the work outside while she do the minor ones and also keep the home front. .... Who said home keeping is not a great career.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by kaboninc(m): 8:10am On Jul 14, 2014
temi4fash: I don't av problems with both parents being goal oriented, driven and the likes... But most times from experience from a lot of my parents friends the homefront suffers... And I mean the kids... We have a very close family friend whose wife is a director in an international bank, the husband is a regional manager... Very beautiful careers.. But they don't know their kids.. Dat family bond is not there... I tink its best when opposite gets married... Weda its d man dat get d family together or the woman so far its done...
I agree with you that its best when opposite gets married
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Joel3(m): 8:12am On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: You trashed who?
You must be high on paw paw leaf joel.

How are you doing?
i'm fine and you. are you loreta_U? What happen to your username? Is this a new id?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: This is where people get it wrong.
There's a need for balance yes but it doesn't have to be only the woman trying to balance career and family.
A man should too. This is because the two parents have different important roles to pay in the children's life. One can't be both at the same time. It's healthy if the father steps up too and makes time for his family busy career or not. Even Obama has time for his kids how much more ordinary men. It is only those who don't realize their roles in their children's lives that will go ahead and pursue career 24/7 because they are content with the wife only being with the kids all the time.
Such homes lack balance too.the man will only become a meal ticket and not an intimate daddy to his children. It affects children and has led to plenty of divorces.

So the earlier guys stopped reasoning that it's ok for them to face career at the expense of family,the better for more families around

The role of a father remains different from a mother.Naturally,kids knows that daddy is the one that works to put food on the table.That is why a situation where a woman is the bread winner is seen as totally abnormal and far away from the norms.No matter what,a hardworking father will definitely have little time for his kids excerpt he is jobless.He spends little time and thus dependent on the wife to give more info concerning any problems he is not aware of.A situation where the wife is also ambitious like him will definitely place him in situation where he might not get vital info about his children's welfare and challenges.The role of the African woman/mother should never be sacrificed at the alter of ambition.There should be a reasonable limit to achieving her ambitions especially when it clearly affects her family. I know women wants to play vital roles in the society, heck this is the 21st,but a woman who succeeds as career woman and yet her family is in shambles is still considered a failure!

14 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by yorex2011: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2014
Its good to have ambitions but its also good to tailor these ambitions to be in sync with other aspects of your life...no matter the situation there is always that point of balance which ensures everything stays together...
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by elected(m): 8:22am On Jul 14, 2014
Women sound really confident when they are young and weak when they are getting older. It would be better to preach what you truly believe from your heart and of course, do like you saw your mother succeed in her marriage than trying to follow media and fake social life.doing this to yourself, will end up driving a lot of good prospective life time husband. Do yourselves good and be real some times. Why Hmmm, don't be deceived! A lot say something here and do something else in their privacy. Lol. Ladies are tender and I respect that.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 8:29am On Jul 14, 2014
jhidey08: wot do u mean by pursuing ur career? Wot career do u want 2 pursue dat won't make u av tym 4 ur kids? Wot do u tink ur primary responsibility is? Wot's d essence of pursuing ur so called career and u don't av tym 4 ur child(ren). U can't possibly mix 2 tins 2geda and succeed, it's either u do a less tym demanding job and av tym 4 ur family or u're alwys engaged at work at d xpense of ur family. And mind u, dere is truly solution 2 every problem, bt 1 don't alwys find d solution.

What is my primary responsibility?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Kanwulia: 8:43am On Jul 14, 2014
"Lesser demanding" ke?
Boy! It is only Monday on this great land of the Naira.
Kai! cry

Na who dey shoot this kain gun biko kwa nu? cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Just Bought This Refrigerator....please I Need Your Candid Advise / White Girl, Pregnant To Married Nigerian Man / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.