Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,072 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup (6472 Views)

Car Hesitates When Engine Is Cold And 'groans' When Moving In Traffic / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / Toyota Camry 1999 Model CE Car Engine Hesitates When I Accelerate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
Hello car gurus in d house. Sorry for the long post. I initially posted this issue but it's gone with nairaland data.

I av a 2007 camry SE. Wen I try to move the car after parking it for like 3hrs, it jacks and hesitates a lot. D hesitation stops once I have driven d car for like 20mins. D throttle body has been serviced and replaced, d fuel pump housing has been replaced. I av also replaced d 4 spark plugs with another oem denso plugs bought from us. Still d same issue.
So I told d mech to return my old throttle body and fuel pump assembly.
On Saturday, I connected my tis techstream vci cable to the obd11 connector and d other end to my laptop. I started the engine, made it warm for like 5mins, then I started revving the engine btw 0 to 2000rpm. I noticed the car was hesitating and misfiring at the same time. While I was doing this, I was also checking the scanning tool for any error.
Suddenly I got error P0351 (ignition coil A pry/sec circuit) on d scanning tool BUT the check engine light on the dashboard didn't blink at all. I continued revving intermittently for like 10mins until I noticed that d misfiring and hesitation have stopped. I clicked on the error and I got the following information which I will attach later. Now after the warming and continuous revving, I took the car out and there was no single hesitation thruout the journey. I then cleared d error.
After another 6hrs, I started d car and hesitation started. I did all I did in d morning before moving d vehicle and d ride was smooth. No error on d scanning tool this time.

This morning(sunday) I started the car and let it warm for 20 MINUTES. Wen I moved, d ride was smooth.

So please what's d likely suggestions?
Could it be d ignition coil dat has been d cause all along?
Was it because I revved d car several times dat made d code show on scanner but didn't bring up check engine light?
I want to be sure of d part to change before I order.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
This is the screenshot of the details i got from the error p0351. Notice the misfires on the 3rd pix

Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
I guess you have a failing oxygen sensor that picks up after the car has warmed up p0351 heater circuit malfunction, if I remember well the last time you posted readings here and ikenna said you have a bad oxygen sensor cause voltage was more than 1v. Sensor 1 bank 1 replace it and see what happens.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
GAZZUZZ: I guess you have a failing oxygen sensor that picks up after the car has warmed up p0351 heater circuit malfunction, if I remember well the last time you posted readings here and ikenna said you have a bad oxygen sensor cause voltage was more than 1v. Sensor 1 bank 1 replace it and see what happens.

I av not replaced that cos i need to be sure. P0351 is ignition coil error code. Not heater circuit. Pls kindly confirm that for me. Thanks.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
tumababa:

I av not replaced that cos i need to be sure. P0351 is ignition coil error code. Not heater circuit. Pls kindly confirm that for me. Thanks.

Ur right ignition coil A primary /secondary circuit malfunction

Its an Intermitent fault.

Refering to failure of coil number 1. Swap coils first to see if the code will change to a differnent cylinder number. "Note the number you swapped the number 1 coil to" clear code, run engine for a while "cold start" and see re scan.

If codes change to a different coil number e.g p0353 and you swapped out 1 - 3 then replace faulty coil.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 14, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Ur right ignition coil A primary /secondary circuit malfunction

Its an Intermitent fault.

Refering to failure of coil number 1. Swap coils first to see if the code will change to a differnent cylinder number. "Note the number you swapped the number 1 coil to" clear code, run engine for a while "cold start" and see re scan.

If codes change to a different coil number e.g p0353 and you swapped out 1 - 3 then replace faulty coil.

I av swapped d coil from 1 to 2. I get d misfire but no code. Like i said earlier, d code just came on d scanning tool but no check engine light
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by mayor2013: 7:41am On Jul 14, 2014
If you get the same misfire then go ahead and change that very coil. Or if you have an exrta coil try that first
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 14, 2014
Before i confuse you guys d more, i only get the misfire wen i revv d engine for just like 1 second intermittently. Not on idle. My conclusion is that d misfire goes once the engine is warm. I warmed it for 15mins this morning before driving out, what a smooth ride..... So what i need to find out is what is causing the misfire before the engine warms up
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:30am On Jul 14, 2014
tumababa: Before i confuse you guys d more, i only get the misfire wen i revv d engine for just like 1 second intermittently. Not on idle. My conclusion is that d misfire goes once the engine is warm. I warmed it for 15mins this morning before driving out, what a smooth ride..... So what i need to find out is what is causing the misfire before the engine warms up

You have ruled out
Plugs
Coils
Fuel pump.

Replace AF sensor 1 bank 1. Since it has to warm up b4 working Seems heater circuit is faulty.

1 Like

Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

You have ruled out
Plugs
Coils
Fuel pump.

Replace AF sensor 1 bank 1. Since it has to warm up b4 working Seems heater circuit is faulty.

Im also getting convinced its d af sensor b1s1. 25k no b small money oo
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
tumababa:

Im also getting convinced its d af sensor b1s1. 25k no b small money oo

Where did u get it for 25k?
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
my mech told me thats d price of d new one.in lagos
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:07pm On Jul 14, 2014
tumababa: my mech told me thats d price of d new one.in lagos

10-15k max brand new. Stop asking your mechanic find out your self.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by evico: 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
tumababa: Before i confuse you guys d more, i only get the misfire wen i revv d engine for just like 1 second intermittently. Not on idle. My conclusion is that d misfire goes once the engine is warm. I warmed it for 15mins this morning before driving out, what a smooth ride..... So what i need to find out is what is causing the misfire before the engine warms up

I have experience something like this before.

I don't know if it would work for you, but if you have not

been adding injector cleaner to your fuel tank, I suggest

you try it, it was the only solution to my problem then.

Just fill up your tank and add a good injector cleaner

and see how it goes.

That should be able to solve the problem
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
evico:

I have experience something like this before.

I don't know if it would work for you, but if you have not

been adding injector cleaner to your fuel tank, I suggest

you try it, it was the only solution to my problem then.

Just fill up your tank and add a good injector cleaner

and see how it goes.

That should be able to solve the problem

I av done dat twice
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by louken(m): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
Check your plug coils. One of them might need replacement. I had similar problem with my 2006 Corolla. It started with rough idling, jerking at low speed, then the engine started losing power. I continued managing it due to my tight schedule until it got me stranded on the road. A simple change of plug coil solved the problem.

1 Like

Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 16, 2014
just saw this online..
Hesitation or misfiring when accelerating. This may be due to a vacuum leak, but it can also be caused by a weak or inoperative accelerator pump in a carburetor, dirty injectors, or even ignition problems such as a cracked coil, worn spark plugs or incorrectly gapped plugs.

in my case,4 injectors have been replaced, spark plugs replaced with original denso oem plugs from US, only thing i av not checked is coil and maybe vacuum leak.... looking for someone i can use his coil to test before shedding cash on whats not d issue
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by autofixng: 10:29am On Jul 16, 2014
tumababa: just saw this online..
Hesitation or misfiring when accelerating. This may be due to a vacuum leak, but it can also be caused by a weak or inoperative accelerator pump in a carburetor, dirty injectors, or even ignition problems such as a cracked coil, worn spark plugs or incorrectly gapped plugs.
in my case,4 injectors have been replaced, spark plugs replaced with original denso oem plugs from US, only thing i av not checked is coil and maybe vacuum leak.... looking for someone i can use his coil to test before shedding cash on whats not d issue

Your air induction system should be properly checked for leakage and dirts. If the air filter is dirty it might cause the problem as well as dirty throttle body. For the spark plug you need to check the ohm reading as recommended by the manufacturer if it has not drop or use the method you what to adopt.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 16, 2014
autofixng:

Your air induction system should be properly checked for leakage and dirts. If the air filter is dirty it might cause the problem as well as dirty throttle body. For the spark plug you need to check the ohm reading as recommended by the manufacturer if it has not drop or use the method you what to adopt.

the 2 air filters have been replaced with oem filters from US. throttle body av been cleaned and even replaced.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by chukel(m): 12:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
tumababa:

the 2 air filters have been replaced with oem filters from US. throttle body av been cleaned and even replaced.
guy, u de order o. i just read ur review on techstream cable and other items on amazon. which shipping agent do u use abeg. i use allworld, but diz days dia services are pathetic
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
chukel:
guy, u de order o. i just read ur review on techstream cable and other items on amazon. which shipping agent do u use abeg. i use allworld, but diz days dia services are pathetic

i import all my parts from us. even wiper. i ship thru a friend, i used to use impexworldwide but i lost a wrist watch worth 60k thru them,so i stopped using them.u can try them
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by chukel(m): 1:32pm On Jul 22, 2014
tumababa:

i import all my parts from us. even wiper. i ship thru a friend, i used to use impexworldwide but i lost a wrist watch worth 60k thru them,so i stopped using them.u can try them
abeg impex is a no no. tnks. just looking for a faster nd cheaper means. about to order the tis techstream cable
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Catlanta: 1:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
You should give Shippyme a try. With Shippyme you get your items delivered in 5 - 10 days. You can also select the Insurance option so that you are assured your items will be safe no matter what happens. We also have options like Stripping and Consolidation which our customers use to further reduce the cost of their shipping. If you need any clarification feel free to ask
chukel:
abeg impex is a no no. tnks. just looking for a faster nd cheaper means. about to order the tis techstream cable
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 10, 2014
Issue still persist. Af sensor replaced. Ignition coil replaced. Plugs replaced. I still av d hesitation wen i move d engine when its still cold. D only soln for now is to warm d car for 20mins before moving. Thats d only time i get a smooth ride after parking d car for hours.

Now im moving to changing the water temperature sensor. If no change, i enjoy my car like that!
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by mayor2013: 3:24am On Aug 11, 2014
You have changed a whole lot in your car. Water temperature sensor would never produce a problem like this. Guess you are still scared of having the car checked upon
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 5:01am On Aug 11, 2014
mayor2013: You have changed a whole lot in your car. Water temperature sensor would never produce a problem like this. Guess you are still scared of having the car checked upon

I cant leave my car with any one without me present. I have to see everything they do n touch.

2 Likes

Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by chukel(m): 12:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
have u checked ur injectors? especially d one at the cylinder producing misfire code? u can try clean them
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
chukel: have u checked ur injectors? especially d one at the cylinder producing misfire code? u can try clean them

4 brand new injectors replaced. no codes
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Kashif(m): 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2014
For P0351, this is what Toyota's repair manual says:

Ignition Coil "A" Primary/Secondary Circuit

Trouble Area (in descending order):
1. Ignition system
2. Open or short in IGFI or IGT circuit (1 to 6) between ignition coil with igniter and ECM
3. No. 1 to no. 6 ignition coils with igniters
4. ECM

NOTE: Since yours is a 4 banger, replace all "6" with "4". But for this error though, the MIL (CEL) must be set. I dont know why your case is different.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Ikenna351(m): 7:21pm On Aug 11, 2014
mayor2013: You have changed a whole lot in your car. Water temperature sensor would never produce a problem like this. Guess you are still scared of having the car checked upon

A failing CTS or corroded CTS connector can give such symptom

Ikenna.
Re: 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup by Ikenna351(m): 7:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
What does your injection system have? MAP or MAF?

By the way, do you know how to do vacuum leak test?

Ikenna

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innoson Massive Production Of IVM-IKENGA-2019 At Anambra Base- PICTURES / Car Owners Prefer Fake Insurance From Licencing Offices? Why? / How Gazzuzz charged me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.