Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents (13734 Views)

I Always See My Wife Having Extra Marital Affairs In My Dreams: Husband / She Finished The "Easter Chicken" Leaving The Legs And Head For The Husband / Woman Arrested For Leaving Her 2 Kids Alone Abroad To Attend Wedding In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by eleojo23: 10:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
Much of your years on earth may have been a conscious effort to please your parents and to live up to their high standards.

There are a lot of people out there who have big dreams, who want to do something meaningful with their lives, but they are worried about what their parents will think. All this time, everything had to be the way their parents wanted it and now they are worried about abandoning them. They are worried about disappointing them. They are worried that, if they are to trust their guts and follow their hearts, that they may end up being disowned by the very people they owe their lives to.

The big question is, Why do your parents always want to decide for you? It is mostly for the best of reasons. Let's consider some of them.

1. They want to protect you.
Your parents have the right to be caring, concerned and emotional. They don't want to see you fail. They want you to succeed at everything and never get hurt. But the world doesn't work that way. Shield a child from pain and she'll never really live

When your mum told you to study medicine / business / marketing / whatever at university, she meant well.
When she suggested that Bola had all the qualities she would want in a daughter-in-law, she meant well.
When your dad told you to take up that job, he was telling you what he thought you needed to hear.
They wanted you to be happy.
They wanted you to be fulfilled.
They wanted you to feel powerful, in control, and valuable.
They gave you the life plan they followed and you just need to follow the same life plan as them and with a bit of luck, you're going to be confident, strong, happy, fulfilled, and free. Right?
Unfortunately, no. Happiness doesn't work like that.

As important and innocent as parental guidance is in the life of their children, it is important to note that the effort to make kids into what their parents want them to be might not always be the best for them. Naturally, responsible parents want their children to be successful in life and this often drives them into taking various decisions for their children some of which might not just be what the child was cut out for.

Choosing careers for kids could lead to lifelong regrets as most parents often do not take into cognizance the talent, interest and capabilities of their kids and would rather they studied the popular courses; medicine, law engineering and the like. The kid in an effort to keep his reputation of being a bright chap would work very hard and graduate but might never find fulfillment in that profession.
The same scenario plays itself out in other situations like in choosing life partners, job preferences, etc.

Living someone else's life plan is the fastest and most consistent path to an unfulfilling, unrewarding, and frustrating existence.
You need to take a walk to the nearest bar to observe the disappointed, sad, and angry guys trying to forget their pain over bottles of beer to see how well living someone else’s life plan works.

2. Another reason is the fear of change.
Many parents don't want their kids deviating from the norm because then the parents themselves will have to figure out a new reality, a different and uncomfortable reality where their kid doesn’t follow the rules and act predictably.
They tell their kids "nobody in the family has ever taken that path before"
But hey, everything changes. Nothing stays the same.

3. They really do need you.
This is another reason why your parents may show resistance to you pursuing your dreams.
If you're an only child or somehow your parents’ life support system, you can’t just drop everything and head off into the world to chase your biggest dream, leaving your parents to fend for themselves. We totally get and respect that. Giving up your own ambitions to care for loved ones is nothing short of heroic.
You need to be careful here though. Many sons and daughters tell themselves that their parents can’t live without them, when in fact that’s just a convenient excuse to keep them from taking a scary leap.

These points above are some of the reasons why children are often ‘trapped’ in their parent’s dreams.

While you should hold nothing against your parents for the decisions they’ve taken or made you take all these years,-though you might have reasons to disagree with some of them,- you have to however decided that from now henceforth, you will be responsible for your actions. This doesn’t in any way suggest doing away with their superior advice and wise counsel, it only means that in taking decisions especially on issues that relates to your life and future, the first consideration will no more be what would be pleasing to your parents, but what you want for yourself and how such a decisions fits into your plans for a fulfilling life.
You must at a certain age begin to mould yourself into your dreams, not that of your parents. You must be bold enough to leave the comfort zone of your parent’s protection and chart a course for your own life. It doesn’t mean you should rebel, but to find a way to make them understand that you’ve got some plan which can work out fine with their support.
The best way you can take away all the insecurities they have about your dreams is to show them you succeeded. If you show confidence at what you are up to and work hard at it, your parents are sure to give you some benefit of doubt and support you if need be.

The crux of this issue is, you shouldn't let anything keep you from pursuing your dreams and finding fulfillment in your own life. You should appreciate your parent's love and concern towards you but the fact is, your parents have had their own lives. This is yours and it is incumbent on you to make the best of it. In the end, your parent's dream is the same as yours and that is to see you happy and successful. It’s just that you have a different way of getting there.

Feel free to contribute to this piece by sharing your experiences.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by eleojo23: 10:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
In addition to the poster's opinion, some points in this post were gleaned from separate articles by Sylva N.I, Niall Doherty and Leigh.

2 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Anyi3(m): 10:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
eleojo23: .

busted
@OP
didn't read that loooooong epistle but I get your drift.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Kanwulia: 10:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
Errrrrrm, I don't have those kinds of control freaks of parents o!
They only advice and support.
Finite! kiss

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 13, 2014
I read the beginning and ending and skimmed through the middle and liked it.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by vikel2104: 6:32am On Jul 14, 2014
Good piece. My parents have been very much on the supportive side. Although we've had cause to disagree on certain things, we finally reach a compromise. But I know of one of my former school mates who was asked to marry some few years after secondary school. I don't think at that time he had started any tertiary education program. In his early twenties he had to marry because he was the only son. You know this thing about preserving lineage. Yeah, some parents really take it seriously. I've not had contact with him since then but most of us believed that it wasn't the best thing for him at that time. I don't know whether he's enjoying or regretting the outcome but he wasn't really given much of a choice to decide for himself.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
That's why I love my mum,she hasn't ever be choosy for her children,she would rather pray for us to be successful in our endeavours.. Even in marriage,she has never revolted,or discriminate against us picking from any tribe,her believe is whatever can make you happy..
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by hydeka: 7:06am On Jul 15, 2014
Parents should guide their children on the path they should go. But planning out their lives for them may lead to resentment from the child when he sees that he has not been given a chance to decide for himself. We have many people these days who blame their parents for their unfulfilled lives. Mods, this should be on frontpage..

2 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by ultrazone(m): 7:45am On Jul 15, 2014
My parents made decisions for me at the early phases of life but when I reached a stage where I could bear the consequence of my decisions, they only gave advice and support.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Yoney007(f): 7:45am On Jul 15, 2014
I never had to deal with choosy parents....All they did/do is guide me in the path I choose hence mi love them like fat kids love cake grin

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by blogexpert12(m): 7:46am On Jul 15, 2014
noted

check out www.supergists.com
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Funbii(m): 7:46am On Jul 15, 2014
no time to read all that, can someone summarize? tnx!
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by olaezebala: 7:47am On Jul 15, 2014
See all of dem don start again o. No one go gree sey him papa mama fall for the category wey OP list.
Make I join dem too , my papa de support me wellA. Dem just de sidon look me do my thing even wen dem know sey na wrong thing I de do.

9 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by tempem: 7:47am On Jul 15, 2014
I never had to deal with choosy parents....All
they do is guide me in the path I choose hence
mi love them like fat kids love cake
Seconded!!
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Akshow: 7:48am On Jul 15, 2014
Booking
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by freshness2020: 7:48am On Jul 15, 2014
It all balls down to your decision

5 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Ptoocool(m): 7:48am On Jul 15, 2014
OP don talk am finish:

"The best way you can take away all the insecurities they have about your dreams is to show them you succeeded. If you show confidence at what you are up to and work hard at it, your parents are sure to give you some benefit of doubt and support you if need be"

3 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by smudge2079(m): 7:49am On Jul 15, 2014
After all is said and done, u are still ur parents child.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by dridowu: 7:49am On Jul 15, 2014
Dreams
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by mifavour(f): 7:56am On Jul 15, 2014
Space booked... Na to read αм lerra cheesy
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Dramadiddy(m): 7:57am On Jul 15, 2014
wish this stuff would work out for me though....i need help convincing my dad guys help out!!!

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by ebullientV(m): 8:05am On Jul 15, 2014
Parents... *sigh*
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by mosho2good: 8:06am On Jul 15, 2014
Once I see my dream I'm going to follow it even boko haram bomb cannot stop me until I reach my destination

2 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Afrocatalyst: 8:10am On Jul 15, 2014
I tell you,a lot of peeps are still under their parents shadow. And it ain't a matter of age or marital status.

2 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 15, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by joywendy(f): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2014
Funbii: no time to read all that, can someone summarize? tnx!
like seriously What will it take you to read? you don't have time but you have the time to comment and ask for summary? Girl, wake up!!

@op love your post. smiley
Parents should learn from this and future ones too. Another one is that parents may not understand the dream and goal of that child, and might think their child is being unrealitic.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by ebullientV(m): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2014
They want the best 4 us no doubt.. But most of their ideas are outdated.. *they are stucked in d norm* and when they see you breaking from d norm they cringe @ d thought of you becoming a failure in life.

This is the information age,, but most of our parents yet live in d industrial era, and their ideas are based on what used to happen in dat era.

I've the support of my parents on certain issues, but when my ideals contradict the setting on their own script we are always 'at daggers drawn'.. All in all, I know and understand their concern.. It's Love..!!

#God Bless Parents.

7 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by NaLaugh: 8:19am On Jul 15, 2014
follow your self
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Smartsyn(m): 8:22am On Jul 15, 2014
Yomieluv: That's why I love my mum,she hasn't ever be choosy for her children,she would rather pray for us to be successful in our endeavours.. Even in marriage,she has never revolted,or discriminate against us picking from any tribe,her believe is whatever can make you happy..
So you don't love your dad?
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by joywendy(f): 8:24am On Jul 15, 2014
smudge2079: After all is said and done, u are still ur parents child.
so what's your point exactly?
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by joywendy(f): 8:26am On Jul 15, 2014
chizzy94: Don't ever let somebody tell you you can't don something, not your poppa, momma, brothers, sisters, friends and even yourself.

You got a dream and you have to protect it, people can't do something themselves and they want to tell you 'you can't do it', if you want something, go and get it. Period!
nice post! But it's easier said than done.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

She Said My Father Touched Her. / 20 Signs She Is A Feminine Woman - Valorforfreedom / Dangerous Things We Did As Kids(especially Ajekpakos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.