Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,199 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking (26645 Views)

OANDO Staff Appeal For Support And Urgent Intervention In The Mass Sacking / Lacasera Company Workers Protest Over The Sacking Of 700 Workers / Nigerian Banks To Start Mass Sacking Due To Naira Fall!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by DonColz1(m): 1:11am On Jul 14, 2014
The National Industrial Court of Nigeria has awarded N76.6m to a banker, Mr Patrick Modilim, for alleged wrongful termination of his employment.
Justice Benedict Kanyip held in his judgment that the defendant “constructively and wrongly” terminated the claimant’s employment.
He ruled, “It is hereby ordered that the defendant shall pay to the claimant the sum of N75,535,128.00 only being the total sum the claimant ought to have been paid as his emolument for 20 months had the defendant reviewed his level to General Manager on confirmation.
“It is hereby ordered that the defendant shall pay to the claimant the sum of N1,120,221.60 only as damages for the wrongful termination of the claimant’s contract of employment in terms of his constructive dismissal by the defendant.”
The judge also held that the money must be paid within 30 days of the judgment, otherwise it would attract interest at the rate of 10 per cent per annum until liquidated.
Modilim, a Deputy General Manager at Zenith Bank Plc, when United Bank for Africa, offered him employment on December 3, 2007, said it was agreed he would be made a General Manager after six months, subject to his meeting of set targets.
According to him, he met the set conditions following which UBA confirmed his employment on August 5, 2008.
He however added that the bank continued to pay him the salary of a Deputy General Manager for the 20 months he worked for them, and did not provide him with two official cars which he was entitled to as a General Manager.
Following this, Modilim said he was forced to resign on March 31, 2010, while UBA accepted his resignation via a letter dated March 30, 2010, a day before he resigned.
The plaintiff said UBA’s acceptance letter shows that his employment was constructively terminated.
But the bank had said it never promised to confirm the claimant’s employment as a General Manager.
It said it confirmed Modilim’s appointment as Deputy General Manager after the probationary period in line with his terms of employment.
The bank also denied that Modilim was entitled to two vehicles with cash value of N16.4m as he was never a General Manager in UBA.
UBA added that the claimant resigned his appointment on his own, never worked as a General Manager, and therefore, cannot be paid the salary of a General Manager.
But Justice Kanyip declared that the defendant’s failure to review the claimant’s level to General Manager on confirmation was a breach of his contract of employment contained in the offer letter and letter of commitment, both dated November 23, 2007.
In one of the letters, UBA stated: “Subject to achieving your set targets, the bank is willing to review your level to General Manager on confirmation.”
UBA had argued that the claimant did not prove that he met the targets, and that its expression of willingness to review his office was futuristic and “does not constitute a contract of employment.”
But Justice Kanyip disagreed, saying, “This commitment remains a binding terms of the contract of employment between the claimant and the defendant.”
http://www.punchng.com/feature/the-law-you/court-awards-n76m-to-banker-for-wrongful-sacking/

14 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by Gboliwe: 1:54am On Jul 14, 2014
I like this kind of news. I am so happy for the claimant. Nigerian employers should start respecting us while we are still employees

51 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by emperortony: 2:05am On Jul 14, 2014
A classic example of the phrase " Every disappointment is a blessing in disguise."

23 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by inteli: 2:22am On Jul 14, 2014
so banks dey pay like this? Hmmm! shocked

4 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by osjoshua(m): 7:48am On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by 80million1: 7:48am On Jul 14, 2014
Well, good for d guy!

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by 80million1: 7:50am On Jul 14, 2014
osjoshua: .
space booking things.
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by Standard007(m): 7:50am On Jul 14, 2014
O boy!!!!, dis guy don hama!!!

3 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Great news for him. We need more justice like that.

.Take this also
1999: BRAZIL 4 - 0 GERMANY
2002: BRAZIL 2 - 0 GERMANY
2004: BRAZIL 1 - 1 GERMANY
Total: BRAZIL 7 - GERMANY 1.
But in the year ...2014:
BRAZIL 1 - 7 GERMANY
This year, what ever you have lost in the past shall be recovered in a single day.
Claim it by saying Amen!!! Gud morning 2u all

150 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by superior1: 7:52am On Jul 14, 2014
I hope he eventually gets the money, those bank folks go wan pursue the case reach supreme court

4 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by 9jahubcom(m): 7:53am On Jul 14, 2014
lucky banker..u are rich
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by faithugo64(f): 7:53am On Jul 14, 2014
76.6 million?God is great. I claim this miracle money cheesy
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by tbaba1234: 7:54am On Jul 14, 2014
Seeking legal redress in Nigeria requires a lot of patience.

2010-2014, 4 years. I hope the amount is worth the wait for the plaintiff.

3 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by horlabiyi(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Wow !!! Say No To Cheating.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by In2systemsTech(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Praise the Lord

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by dridowu: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Biggest boy banker

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by tinuolababy(f): 7:56am On Jul 14, 2014
Good news. Good job by NIC. I love the interest part. 10% no be small thing o cheesy cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by olaezebala: 7:56am On Jul 14, 2014
Sack me too oooooooo
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by MEILYN(m): 7:56am On Jul 14, 2014
No be who get money go go court? What of other people that have been treated worse? Good news shaaaa. If it was a poor person vs Etisalat or Mtn the case would have been dead a long time ago.
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by otokx(m): 7:57am On Jul 14, 2014
UBA should stop poaching other bank staff with mouth watering offers.

Oya pay up sharpaly.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by horlabiyi(m): 7:57am On Jul 14, 2014
9jahubcom: fool
a Very BIG 1

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by ojuafact: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 14, 2014
superior1: I hope he eventually gets the money, those bank folks go wan pursue the case reach supreme court

i do not think u can appeal judgement of nic in case like this.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by superior1: 8:00am On Jul 14, 2014
thepathologist:

i do not think u can appeal judgement of nic in case like this.

Sure of that?
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by ultrazone(m): 8:03am On Jul 14, 2014
This is good news! That's why I don't append my signature just anywhere. Written agreement is binding.
Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 14, 2014
Good one.

He has chop 20 months DGM pay on top 20 months GM pay.

God is good.

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by GentleMimi: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2014
They say vengeance is best served cold. I'll say justice is best after the tides and downpour.
Am i impressed? Ohh yes!
This is a slap on the face of those pessimistic cynical beings who have lost faith in Nigeria.
A normal employee would have accepted the sack letter without a fight cos most banks have high rate lawyers in their pockets. But this guy was bold enough to take the risk...and he won! I love this gist. Best for a monday morning. kiss

12 Likes

Re: Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking by BTT(m): 8:11am On Jul 14, 2014
More.

Please more of this type of news.

We have been 'graped' for too long.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.