Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,460 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? (16600 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by tbagjames(m): 8:19am On Jul 21, 2014
Tallesty1: Married women no dey bleep outside marriage, the punishment is instant death, madness or mysterious ailment.
Idoma i guess
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Emma8043(m): 8:21am On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
What if the husband had passed?
Aswear ur name justify ur comment
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tallesty1(m): 8:23am On Jul 21, 2014
tbagjames:
Idoma i guess
Wrong.
Is it same in idoma
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by hardbody: 8:28am On Jul 21, 2014
If married woman knack outside, him husband go see the signs from 'ndichie' so he will quickly set the woman up for ostracism, but if he refuses to read the signs and continues knacking the wife and also eating from the woman's pot, he will die. But if he exposes the woman, the woman will be purified.

Secondly, a woman does not leave the man's house on an 'Nkwo' market day, if she does, the marriage is irretrievably annuled. Nothing will ever repair the marriage or bring them together again.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by tbagjames(m): 8:30am On Jul 21, 2014
Tallesty1: Wrong.
Is it same in idoma
yea, she has to confess and be cleansed
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by psychologist(m): 8:31am On Jul 21, 2014
Crixie: Killing non poisonous snakes....
aka
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by ceeceeco: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Tannie:

Op I'm an Ikwerre girl, I've not hear of the bolded before. The taboos I've heard of are "Female dogs are not allowed in my community (dont know if its applicable to other parts of Ikwerre) and its forbidden for a guy to use walking stick when he's dad is still alive".
Yes u're right! Female dogs aren't allowed in ikwerre land...Dat's 2ru.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tallesty1(m): 8:36am On Jul 21, 2014
tbagjames:
yea, she has to confess and be cleansed
Same in Kogi state.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by richt75: 8:37am On Jul 21, 2014
A taboo in njaba for a married woman to commit fornication... .madness or strange illness shall befall her. Husband stops eating her for when the sign is shown or else he will die from unstoppable cough unless a cleansing is done urgently .killing of python is forbidden.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by ayomidegambari(m): 8:45am On Jul 21, 2014
For my village, its a taboo to steal money that is under pillow
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by ayomidegambari(m): 8:52am On Jul 21, 2014
4 my village na taboo make u kill chicken and eat am alone..half of it must go 2 d village king..bt my papa dey kill chicken secretly, cook am secretly eat am secretly..and I ask y..he said no b taboo bt d king love eating chicken, d one we kill neva reach us mk we con gv half to one stupid king..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by kaima1984(f): 8:54am On Jul 21, 2014
Prowizy2: In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python
shocking!!!where are u frm?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Besea(f): 9:05am On Jul 21, 2014
Odilafta, where are u from? Dat is also a taboo in my village, actually, d only one I know
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 21, 2014
arshavineering:
nna nawa oooo...where you from abeg

Enugu
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 21, 2014
Besea: Odilafta, where are u from? Dat is also a taboo in my village, actually, d only one I know

Enugu
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Yehman(m): 9:30am On Jul 21, 2014
;DIn my village, its actually a taboo to remove ur clothes b4 taking ur bath.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by thewarrior72: 9:39am On Jul 21, 2014
JohnnyNY: A taboo is a vehement prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behavior is either too sacred or too accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake and often accompanied with threat of supernatural punishment.
In ikwerre land, in Rivers state, it is a taboo to have sex on the floor. And it is also forbidden for a woman whose husband is still alive to eat with a knife.
In Osogbo, Osun State, it is a taboo to sit on mortar. Anyone who sits on it will not be able to stand up again again for the rest of his or her life.
I remember then my mum would tell me that, if I should look at the mirror while rain is falling and the thunder should strike I will fall dead. Well till now I've not tried it though.
So peeps what are some taboo you know of?

Being or converting to Islam wink in ANAMBRA STATE cool

1 Like

Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by mkoabiola: 10:05am On Jul 21, 2014
So dey are tab oo in ds modern era.
I refuse to live in d past
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Prowizy2(m): 10:10am On Jul 21, 2014
kaima1984: shocking!!!where are u frm?

South-Side
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Crixie(m): 10:10am On Jul 21, 2014
SkinnyDude:
are u from idemmili?
nooo.. Oraifite
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 21, 2014
victorazy:

You can't comprehend common english bros!
Did I said came alone? Rather "came by urself" don't you know is 2 diff things?
master engrish...lols..e don do...no vex
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 21, 2014
victorazy:

No be ppl bring him here?
anoda one....GOD!!!...y u let dis one xcape??rolls eyes...
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by ladyju(f): 10:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Abeg d guy that said visitors should not ask of pillow, where are u from? Make we know ooo.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by JEITO: 10:32am On Jul 21, 2014
My question now is: does anyone know someone that actually suffered the consequence of not keeping these said laws
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Chili89: 10:33am On Jul 21, 2014
Abortion is a taboo for both married and umarried women in my place.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Glocee(f): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Prowizy2: In my place its a taboo for a visitor to ask for pillow. You'll wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on a python
Pls,Which state is that?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by kaima1984(f): 10:38am On Jul 21, 2014
Prowizy2:

South-Side
where exactly ?
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by MissSlimbody(f): 10:57am On Jul 21, 2014
̶̷̩̥̊͡ђã†̥ abt married men
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Prowizy2(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2014
Glocee:
Pls,Which state is that?

Bayelsa
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Prowizy2(m): 11:02am On Jul 21, 2014
kaima1984: where exactly ?

Nembe, bayelsa
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by Tannie(f): 11:10am On Jul 21, 2014
anitank:
Are you sure you know about ur traditions?

I schooled in Uniport and lived in choba for about 5years. We non-indegenes all know about that "taboo" .. though some of us cared less

I'm born and bred in Ph, I've never heard of that before. That its forbidden in Choba doesn't mean its aplicable to other part of Ikwerre.
Re: What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? by larrymoore(m): 11:12am On Jul 21, 2014
Never to marry a short man or woman!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do African's Love Asian People? / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties / The Ijaws That I Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.