Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? (20036 Views)

The People Perish For Lack Of Knowledge- VANGUARD / Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness / Our Police And Illiteracy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Karleb: Lack of exposure itself is illetracy, so what are we talking about here? undecided

help me out.
illiteracy is just inability to read and write,nothing else.
Many literates are not even educated while some illiterates are educated in some vocations.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by 9inches(m): 9:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Lack of exposure

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 16, 2014
Deattorney:
Gbam!!
exactly !!
Infact when My Grandma started discussing John Holt, CFAO , MDS , PZ etc with you , you will be like wao

These are great company in the early 60s/70s she transacted business with and Yet she is Illiterate but Highly exposed !!

But in Nigeria today :

when u start discussing with some university graduate , you will even ask yourself :

''and they say this one go school o''

7 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by haibe(m): 9:26am On Jul 16, 2014
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Forwetinnah: 9:27am On Jul 16, 2014
eminemkayc: Iv observd keenly tht most people interprete the word 'illiterate' in the entirely wrong context. A literate specifically nd primarily is one who can read and write. An illiterate, obtaind frm the two words 'ill' nd 'literate', therefore, lacks literal ability. The fact that a certain leader's bride cannot construct good tenses in public myt nt automatically make her an illiterate as she myt be LITERATE in the true sense of the word!

This definition/explanation you're sharing. .There is God o. angry

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Damyion(m): 9:28am On Jul 16, 2014
vizkiz: the shame of the latter is greater than the former grin
Some peeps won't knw which is former and which is latter. Wud that be due to illiteracy or inexposure? Mdthinks it cud be both... Coz even an illiterate will know if he keeps hearing those words over and over again...
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Olaone1: 9:29am On Jul 16, 2014
Lack of exposure

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by PassingShot(m): 9:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Illitracy is only a disease when you're not exposed.

With the right exposure, few people will be aware that you're not literate.

In developed countries, you hardly know that there are illiterates because their illiterates are exposed and do things we expect literates to do.

Even in Nigeria, there are many illiterates that have overcome their illiteracy through good exposure. For example, how many people knew that the just deceased Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland Alhaji Arisekola Alao was not formally educated? Same for Late Adedibu.

My point is that, with the right amount of exposure, your illiteracy might not be exposed whereas if you're literate and lack the right exposure you will come accross even dumber than an illiterate.

Ma mama is not literate but she operates all modern gadgets at home.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by fubbyy(m): 9:33am On Jul 16, 2014
mynameisjade: To me they are both the same thing....
I recently had someone ask me what a Ferrari mean/was same dude has an IPAD,DSTV n lots of gadjects lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Does the question he asked you made him an illiterate? He asked a good question my dear, is it because you know it, there are common things you don't know that someone else know

I targeted a girl like you who thinks she knows it all, she fall my guy hand because he asked what is vibrator

I invited her to a gathering where I asked her after eating if she needs a floss, she asked what is floss, we fall her hand big time, my guy revenged by calling her an illiterate graduate

Lack of exposure and illiteracy are not the same, illiteracy is someone who can't read or write, lack of exposure has no definition because its an individual perception, you might be highly expose here but when you get to america you see say you be mumu

@ topic, illiteracy is bad, lack of exposure? Hmmmm... , no measurement to it so no way to kowashiate

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Agrika: 9:33am On Jul 16, 2014
It depends on what u mean by "illiterate" say person no sabi english doesnt make him or her an illiterate.....to me lack of exposure is the worst.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by BreezyRita(f): 9:37am On Jul 16, 2014
Illiteracy is far worse! Lack if exposure can easily be corrected buh illiteracy, it is well
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Yemlizzy(f): 9:38am On Jul 16, 2014
Both are like canterworms that could eat up a man if not attended to. Lack of exposure can always be corrected anyway,illiteracy is a terrible disease.

2 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 16, 2014
Jennydoris: It's better to lack exposure than to be illiterate. With just travelling u can be exposed to making new friends and meeting new things and learning from them too. But being an illiterate will make you not expose yourself for fear of being exposed of your illiterate nature. grin grin grin grin

The best answer. Exposure is easier to solve than illiteracy.

Also mindset affects all these things varying from person to person. How one handles exposure will be different from how another does.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Olaone1: 9:40am On Jul 16, 2014
E.g Arisekola Alao was, by Naija definition, an illiterate.

But, I listened to 1 or 2 of his interviews on TV, he's by far more articulate than most Naija graduates.

He conducted his business in the UK/US and all over the world very very well. He knew things no one would know through mere classroom education.

He was well-travelled and well-exposed. And that, in itself, is education. A better form of education.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 9:42am On Jul 16, 2014
fattbabakay: sorry,it should be "gadgets"

VMT@correction..
bbello28:
grin tell him ferrari is a new type of biscuit manufactured by [size=25pt]YALE FOOD[/size] gringringringrin
Lols abi ooo wud explain beTter wen nxt I see him lols
clemz85:
YUDONTMEANIT!!! so what dd U ans him?
Tot he was joking ,cus Davido's Aye was blasting @full volume,I told him what it was you could actually see the comprehension in his eyes b4 he continued singing lols.....
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Alleinad(f): 9:42am On Jul 16, 2014
I think lack of exposure is the greater evil because as a man gets exposed, his illiteracy begins to be hardly seen. Take a look at Henry Ford, exposed but illiterate. Among people of limited means however, lack of illiteracy is worse, its the case of the one eyed man being king in d jungle of d blind.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by megabyte2(f): 9:44am On Jul 16, 2014
Both are almost the same. Lack of exposure is the worst
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by bbello28(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2014
mynameisjade:

VMT@correction..
Lols abi ooo wud explain beTter wen nxt I see him lols
Tot he was joking ,cus Davido's Aye was blasting @full volume,I told him what it was you could actually see the comprehension in his eyes b4 he continued singing lols.....
grin grin grin chei dia ris god ooo
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by dopedealer(m): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2014
whew... i no fit laugh abeg... let me tell u what an illiterate nigga can do..
who remember's the song 'pass the covonsier' My nigga sings it as buste buste ye
pussy cat pussy cat ....as pushy car pushy car ....
Samsung S4 .......as Samsung x-force and later said X4...this really got me crackingly worried
pronounces climate change .... as clamour change, lil wayne as lilwine after several years of correction.
this Mr lecturer by idriss...he once listened to it and said i am watching blue film music

the list goes on and on and on In fact the guy na real comedian... just seat beside him i swear u don't need stand up Nigeria grin grin

But when you talk about lack of exposure you can still pronounce all this words better or perfect .. so over to you op. which one is better.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Opiosko: 9:51am On Jul 16, 2014
Jabioro: Exposure and illiteracy,can't be compared..illiteracy is a cancer while d lacks of exposure can be manage.
Google up North Korea nd see what lact of esposure mean.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by rexzqcom(m): 9:58am On Jul 16, 2014
If by illiteracy you mean lack of ability to read and write.
Then illiterate is worse. Exposure without literal ability is like an animal in a cage. Who can only understand little of what is happening around them. But a literal person can easily gain exposure to what are happening around them and in the world in general by reading books, and other materials.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by chiimdee: 9:58am On Jul 16, 2014
TheWholeTruth:

This thread is about you.
Hahaahhahahaha......friend you bad ooo
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Oahray: 9:59am On Jul 16, 2014
Funny comments here. Lack of exposure isn't black and white. No one totally lacks exposure by the way, unless he's locked away in a dungeon since birth.

Anyone who reads books or is into the social media or uses the internet pretty well, cannot lack exposure. He can only lack social skills. Unless a person is mentally lazy, literacy exposes one same way as personal experience... In fact, it helps us better 'experience other people's experience' in a way illiterates cannot.

Now, illiteracy...

2 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Judas2013: 10:00am On Jul 16, 2014
ennylicious: I need an answer ASAP

Lack of exposure is worse. It makes you think you are alone in the universe.

You will always be literate in something.

2 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 16, 2014
Both go together. A literate person without exposure most times can be worst than an illiterate. At least the illiterate will be willing to learn.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by vislabraye(m): 10:02am On Jul 16, 2014
donroxy: exactly !!
Infact when My Grandma started discussing John Holt, CFAO , MDS , PZ etc with you , you will be like wao

These are great company in the early 60s/70s she transacted business with and Yet she is Illiterate but Highly exposed !!

But in Nigeria today :

when u start discussing with some university graduate , you will even ask yourself :

''and they say this one go school o''
. The major question is, what is education then ? And when is someone an illiterate ? As long as someone can read and write, the person is not an illiterate. Although education, ie passing through school is better than being an exposed illiterate, there are stiLl some graduates that can speak good English.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 16, 2014
Opiosko: Google up North Korea nd see what lact of esposure mean.
hahahaha..... the citizens are typically primitive when it comes to sports especially football....

For their mind, the played the world cup final grin
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2014
fubbyy: Does the question he asked you made him an illiterate? He asked a good question my dear, is it because you know it, there are common things you don't know that someone else know

I targeted a girl like you who thinks she knows it all, she fall my guy hand because he asked what is vibrator

I invited her to a gathering where I asked her after eating if she needs a floss, she asked what is floss, we fall her hand big time, my guy revenged by calling her an illiterate graduate

Lack of exposure and illiteracy are not the same, illiteracy is someone who can't read or write, lack of exposure has no definition because its an individual perception, you might be highly expose here but when you get to america you see say you be mumu

@ topic, illiteracy is bad, lack of exposure? Hmmmm... , no measurement to it so no way to kowashiate
It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it-ARISTOTLE
Was the so called "falling of her hand really that essential to you guys?"
Was corrected by Fattbabakay n YES i VmT(very much thanks/thanked)him
Neva said ur friend was correct by drawing such an explanation,did u ask ur pal if she did the explanation in public/private?we can't all be right but one thing to note if someonewants to learn illiteracy n ego/pride don't go @all
NB:be gentelmanly enough not to use the word Mumu next time it only stifles ur vocabulary IMO,Goddmorning and enjoy the rest of your day dearie cheers#
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Opiosko: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2014
frankben: hahahaha..... the citizens are typically primitive when it comes to sports especially football....

For their mind, the played the world cup final grin
Nobi small tin bro.. Nd those peeps are literate o!
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2014
bbello28:
grin grin grin chei dia ris god ooo
cheesy cheesy grin grin I knows Ooo my dear!!!!

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Amopeekun(f): 10:13am On Jul 16, 2014
Lack of exposure is worse!!! Illiteracy can pass for inability to read, write and speak good English or that the one referred to has not been to any formal school but such can still have a sort of informal education, has travelled, be in business and in constant contact with people of different class and origin and so be exposed. To lack exposure, ha, I don't know how to classify that! But when a literate is asked how many countries are there in Africa and he responded, " Ijebu, Ilorin, Lagos, Ibadan,etc", then you know it is a crime to lack exposure. I am not saying one must travel tipa tipa but the urge and effort to know is exposure itself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Craziest And Out-of-character Thing You've Ever Done? / How Do I Get My Nigeria National Id Card? / Name One Social Media Slang You Dislike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.