Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,087 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:39 AM

Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? (20010 Views)

The People Perish For Lack Of Knowledge- VANGUARD / Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness / Our Police And Illiteracy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 16, 2014
vislabraye: . The major question is, what is education then ? And when is someone an illiterate ? As long as someone can read and write, the person is not an illiterate. Although education, ie passing through school is better than being an exposed illiterate, there are stiLl some graduates that can speak good English.
Education is simply a means of ''acquiring knowledge or know-how'' .....

Knowledge is a very wide field that No man has it all, you are only an expert in your own field and layman in others !!

Literate is simply the ability to read and write and if you can't read nor write , you are an illiterate !!

It is just funny on this thread how some people have equated literacy with education

Literacy is not equal to education it is just one in many tools of education !!

As for school , bro there are many types of school , formal school, the one of Pry, Sec, Uni .... is just one of them !!

Nkechi who is an apprentice of chukwuemeka international is in school o .... Same is Ahmadu learning farming from salisu ! grin
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Elebiju: 10:16am On Jul 16, 2014
dewaledipo: Diamond Bank is the greatest robbers of all times. they have managed to blacklist me on amazon with their gross ineptitude and lack of concern for their customers. when i called their call centre, i was told that the money would be returned but up till date they have not returned my money or pay amazon.com. After complaining severally at their branch in okeilewo abeokuta. nothing has been done. Diamond Bank Oleeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!![size=15pt][/size]
we have a case study here, this fellow is literate thus his ability to read and comment but I think he lacks exposure cos he should know that derailing d topic is an eyesore, quote me if I'm wrong.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by kajoula(m): 10:21am On Jul 16, 2014
As an illitrate one can still be exposed and still measure up to standard,some of our househelp are good example...they are exposed but still remain an illitrate.
which is so obvious when they speak &ul never know what they do until they say it.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 10:26am On Jul 16, 2014
soulglo: Nothing more sad than an ignorant educated person. A formal education is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather be friends with a person with no formal education than an unexposed formally educated person who has no original thought or belief of their own. These are the type of people that cannot make a decision without their pastor or parents. They are existing not living. Filling up space and not contributing anything to the human race.

Word!
I'd rather make conversation with an illiterate than someone with no exposure. Less frustration in my opinion.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Augustinarose12(f): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2014
illiteracy is worse b/cos been a literate can upgrade u to Exposure
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Realtol(m): 10:33am On Jul 16, 2014
I think illiteracy is a situation of not been able to read, write and possibly communicate in the highly exalted language. For instance, illiteracy will make you believe that earth is spherical when it's not because you haven't read books that tell the true story, it will make you think all blacks are from your tribe when this is not true, it will make you think the best way is the way you do things, it will make less aware of your rights... all this because you can't read books which can easily and rightly give you those information. On the day that you are able to read those things you are better off.
However, a man lacking exposure but highly literate can easily adapt and change quickly if he has access to those books where the information he needs are hidden.
I prefer unexposed man to an illiterate any day... education is exposure on its own.
Lastly, an unexposed literate is NOT REALLY literate but a sham!

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by adedayourt(m): 10:33am On Jul 16, 2014
I don't think derz anytin to be compared with d state of not being litrate.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Acidosis(m): 10:35am On Jul 16, 2014
NONE, so long you mind your business. Somehow, we all have different levels of exposure smiley So before you insult a man for his or her low level of exposure, always take your time to reflect on your state.

You can never find me insulting anyone on these issues. As a matter of fact, exposure & literacy are branches of knowledge. So who knows it ALL? I could give you a spatula, and you, being a man with a non-science background could call it spoon. Now it would be unfair, and even stu p!d for me to use derogatory terms on you.

smiley

Whenever you have the opportunity to teach people some issues they do not understand, please do so without giving anyone the impression that you know more... It's a big turn-off.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Ardedaryor(m): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2014
Both are relatives but taking a critical lack or exposure is is wose lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by kambah(m): 10:47am On Jul 16, 2014
frankly speaking its good to have education but exposure is very important.
you can see igbos they may not attend schools but in terms of exposure they are good.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Sibrah: 10:47am On Jul 16, 2014
Lack of exposure any day. In fact Lack of exposure A. K. A. 'Ignorance' is 100 times worse.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by fubbyy(m): 10:51am On Jul 16, 2014
mynameisjade:
It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it-ARISTOTLE
Was the so called "falling of her hand really that essential to you guys?"
Was corrected by Fattbabakay n YES i VmT(very much thanks/thanked)him
Neva said ur friend was correct by drawing such an explanation,did u ask ur pal if she did the explanation in public/private?we can't all be right but one thing to note if someonewants to learn illiteracy n ego/pride don't go @all
NB:be gentelmanly enough not to use the word Mumu next time it only stifles ur vocabulary IMO,Goddmorning and enjoy the rest of your day dearie cheers#
what you wrote here is not really comprehensive, maybe because of your inability to use paragraph or something

The only part I understand is where you ask me not to use MUMU, anyway MUMU is our local dialect which is allowed to be used at any time

Have a nice day
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by lagcity(m): 10:54am On Jul 16, 2014
OMG! a lot of nairalanders do not know the meaning of illiteracy. chai, naija is in trouble.

Illiteracy is far worse. Literacy itself is a tool for getting exposed and knowing the world around you. A literate person doesn't have to travel to China, Paris or Berlin to learn a great deal about these places. He/She can simply pick up a book and learn.

2 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by saheednairaland: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2014
As long as there is room for improvement for both cases, Illiteracy is worse. Why do I say this?

1. If you have someone that is an illiterate but exposed, will it be easy for the person to acquire literacy?
2. If you have someone that is literate but not exposed, will it be easy for the person to acquire exposure?

Exposure is easier to acquire than literacy. This is just to make a habit of paying more attention to things, people, events etc. around you.
But to acquire literacy, don’t you know how many years one will have to spend in school?
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Sunnidinho: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2014
Ability to speak english doesnt make you a literate(educated person). Education itself comprises of mainly formal and informal education. Formal education is the 1given to people within the 4walls of an institution(formal settings) while informal is the 1 outsite a formal setting.informal edu carries like 70% of human learning.there cogitive,affective and psychomotor domains of education. cognitive (knowledge, comprehension, application,analysis, synthesis and evaluation), affective(deals with emotion, attitude, appreciation) and psychomotor deals with all muscular activities like sports. So, that you are an education certificate holder doesnt make you more literate than a footballer, sprinter, carpenter etc. Exposure falls under informal education which makes it possible to be able to differenciate between a phd holder in Nigeria and Msc holder in advanced countries(not certificate wise but attitude). You must know that a literate in philosophy could be an illitrate in carpentry meaning speaking english(our lingual franca) doesnt make you a literate. what is education when a prof sleeps with students before he could pass them? That goes to show that such a prof is poor in the affective domain of education. Also, what is education when you speak Hon. Patrick's english you contemporaries find difficult to decode - communication failure. Education is a subset of expose. Education doesnt bring experience but exposure does and without experience one is a dead man walking. 1 Mr. Kolade didnt have a complete basic education(justa pry 1 to 4 instead of pry 1 to jss 3) but when he opens his mouth to talk about how things are using like 4overseas countries as case study, you a Msc holder without exposure will be sorry for yourself cos all you would know and be sound in his your discipline.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2014
fubbyy: what you wrote here is not really comprehensive, maybe because of your inability to use paragraph or something

The only part I understand is where you ask me not to use MUMU, anyway MUMU is our local dialect which is allowed to be used at any time

Have a nice day
Spoken like a typical...........
Wud advice you Re-read wen the low grade ish of whatever you are on wears off.....
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by fattbabakay(m): 11:04am On Jul 16, 2014
fubbyy: what you wrote here is not really comprehensive, maybe because of your inability to use paragraph or something

Have a nice day
Boss,u seem to av taken it personal...Chillax na.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by lagcity(m): 11:05am On Jul 16, 2014
Sibrah: Lack of exposure any day. In fact Lack of exposure A. K. A. 'Ignorance' is 100 times worse.

But we are all ignorant of something and will always be. If you are literate, you have the tool to get rid of your ignorance or lack of exposure in a particular area.
Look, I have never been to Japan before but if I plan to visit, I can read a book about Japanese culture and customs. I can learn the appropriate handshake, bow, eye contact, and chopstick technique so that I do not look like a complete id1ot the moment I land at Tokyo airport. If I can't read, how do I begin to learn about Japan? I would have to go find a random Japanese or someone who knows about Japanese culture.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by lagcity(m): 11:07am On Jul 16, 2014
Sunnidinho: Ability to speak english doesnt make you a literate(educated person). Education itself comprises of mainly formal and informal education. Formal education is the 1given to people within the 4walls of an institution(formal settings) while informal is the 1 outsite a formal setting.informal edu carries like 70% of human learning.there cogitive,affective and psychomotor domains of education. cognitive (knowledge, comprehension, application,analysis, synthesis and evaluation), affective(deals with emotion, attitude, appreciation) and psychomotor deals with all muscular activities like sports. So, that you are an education certificate holder doesnt make you more literate than a footballer, sprinter, carpenter etc. Exposure falls under informal education which makes it possible to be able to differenciate between a phd holder in Nigeria and Msc holder in advanced countries(not certificate wise but attitude). You must know that a literate in philosophy could be an illitrate in carpentry meaning speaking english(our lingual franca) doesnt make you a literate. what is education when a prof sleeps with students before he could pass them? That goes to show that such a prof is poor in the affective domain of education. Also, what is education when you speak Hon. Patrick's english you contemporaries find difficult to decode - communication failure. Education is a subset of expose. Education doesnt bring experience but exposure does and without experience one is a dead man walking. 1 Mr. Kolade didnt have a complete basic education(justa pry 1 to 4 instead of pry 1 to jss 3) but when he opens his mouth to talk about how things are using like 4overseas countries as case study, you a Msc holder without exposure will be sorry for yourself cos all you would know and be sound in his your discipline.

"Literate" does not equal "Educated"

I think you are using the word "illiterate" in the Nigerian context
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by sleek82(m): 11:13am On Jul 16, 2014
mynameisjade: To me they are both the same thing....
I recently had someone ask me what a Ferrari mean/was same dude has an IPAD,DSTV n lots of gadjects lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
because someone asked you wat a ferrari is doesnt mean d person lacks exposure even if he/she has all d gadgets to himself/herself and because u knw wat a ferrari is doesnt even mean u av seen one b4. Pls dnt get dis wrong,im nt tryin to diss you but level of exposure differs frm person to person and it has to do with interests also. I bet you, there are people who have travelled far and wide and dont even know what a cockpit (in an airplane) is. Its not because they av not seen it b4 but just dat they r nt interested in knwin the name. Just the same way most ladies dont know the name the 2nd and 3rd officials (linesmen) are called in the game of football. They r just not interested, but I bet men dnt even knw d names of weave on, all we knw is brazilian hair and dats because pple ladies shout it everyday. because I cnt identify a brazilian hair, does dat make me unexposed? By now u shuld undastnd ma point
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by lakecyd(m): 11:17am On Jul 16, 2014
illiteracy with exposure will still end up a shame, so will definitely go for lack of exposure and being literate undecided
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Rapmoney(m): 11:22am On Jul 16, 2014
Karleb:

I mean, it's better to be an illiterate than to lack exposure.

Your reasoning is very poor...not better than that of an illiterate person. Illiteracy in English means someone who can neither read nor write. Does it mean anyone who is not exposed is not able to read or write? Think well before you comment. I pity those ppl that liked your posts.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Rapmoney(m): 11:22am On Jul 16, 2014
Karleb:

I mean, it's better to be an illiterate than to lack exposure.

Your reasoning is very poor...not better than that of an illiterate person. Illiteracy in English means someone who can neither read nor write. Does it mean anyone who is not exposed is not able to read or write? Think well before you comment. I pity those ppl who liked your posts.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 11:23am On Jul 16, 2014
sleek82: because someone asked you wat a ferrari is doesnt mean d person lacks exposure even if he/she has all d gadgets to himself/herself and because u knw wat a ferrari is doesnt even mean u av seen one b4. Pls dnt get dis wrong,im nt tryin to diss you but level of exposure differs frm person to person and it has to do with interests also. I bet you, there are people who have travelled far and wide and dont even know what a cockpit (in an airplane) is. Its not because they av not seen it b4 but just dat they r nt interested in knwin the name. Just the same way most ladies dont know the name the 2nd and 3rd officials (linesmen) are called in the game of football. They r just not interested, but I bet men dnt even knw d names of weave on, all we knw is brazilian hair and dats because pple ladies shout it everyday. because I cnt identify a brazilian hair, does dat make me unexposed? By now u shuld undastnd ma point
Yes point taken and accepted,a million e-hugs n likes......
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by saheednairaland: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2014
lagcity:

But we are all ignorant of something and will always be. If you are literate, you have the tool to get rid of your ignorance or lack of exposure in a particular area.
Look, I have never been to Japan before but if I plan to visit, I can read a book about Japanese culture and customs. I can learn the appropriate handshake, bow, eye contact, and chopstick technique so that I do not look like a complete idiot the moment I land at Tokyo airport. If I can't read, how do I begin to learn about Japan? I would have to go find a random Japanese or someone who knows about Japanese culture.

exactly what am saying
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 16, 2014
Na illiteracy o.What of I finally fund my sef with a sophisticated man?If my spoon kon fall down for 5 star restaurant,I fit disgrace myself."Sir,please can you fork me down?". angry
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by M4gunners: 11:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Illiteracy without being told.I mean grade 1 Illiteracy, have you seen an Illiterate fighting? They can pick up guy, knives, bottle without knowing the consequences of what they are about to do.However, if u are not expose, but can read and write, u can make use of ur brain.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by phadat(m): 11:34am On Jul 16, 2014
mynameisjade: To me they are both the same thing....
I recently had someone ask me what a Ferrari mean/was same dude has an IPAD,DSTV n lots of gadjects lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
lol I read your post and asked someone sitting by me what a Ferrari means guess the answer? record label( lamao)
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2014
Show off, almst evri nairalander's attribute, dose wit shortcomings claim 2 b educated bt dia choice of words means odawise, evn dose who claim 2 b educated sound far worse dan d afore mentioned topic, tz such a shame
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by mynameisjade: 11:40am On Jul 16, 2014
phadat: lol I read your post and asked someone sitting by me what a Ferrari means guess the answer? record label( lamao)
Lols my hand is not der oooo!!!!hian!!!!!@answer lols you jst made my day cnt stop laughin,chai der's God ooooo.....
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by sleek82(m): 11:46am On Jul 16, 2014
In d strict sense, illiteracy is simply not being able to read nor write. Pls note: its nt d inability to speak english nor write english ooo. If you like be able to speak yoruba and write yoruba articulately. You are simply literate! It is funny the way we use the word 'illiteracy' atimes in this part of the world, if we see someone who is not able to speak english eloquently,we tend to call the person illiterate. Do we mean a japanese scholar who doesn't knw how to speak english is also an illiterate?
Being educated doesnt mean d person is well exposed,it simply gives a good foundation for your exposure. Exposure is interest-bound and has more to do with the person in question.
Lets check the coca-cola advert for world cup, the particular one that was tagged 'clueless'. The lady shouted "we have won!" When it was only half time. It doesnt mean the lady was not exposed, it simply means she knows nothing or so little about football,what if her interest is in basketball? A report was carried out during the world cup and it ws noticed that the match btw USA and Germany was the most watched match in a competition (in USA). It was even more watched than the NFL finals. And I can bet you that an average american dont even have interests in soccer instead he would watch NFL or NBA matches. Now picture the said lady in the cocacola advert to be an american. Would you say shes nt exposed?
Being exposed and being literate are two diff things only that I would prefer the topic to be being exposed and being educated. If you compare someone who is well educated and averagely exposed to a stack illiterate,not even educated atall but well exposed, you would see dat the well educated and averagely exposed can comport himself to the level that you would even think he is well exposed and experienced just becos of the basic education he had.
My view!

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Okuda(m): 11:48am On Jul 16, 2014
Ceasar1:
Wow! Are you really saying this?

Lol.. maybe you don't have any idea what an illiterate ‘Looks’ like Bro.

Lol... have you not seen people who went to school but you keep asking how come? I agree with the other poster..lack of exposure is the worst..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nairaland Sold To A Foreign Investor / Seun still in Charge? / How Do I Get My Nigeria National Id Card? / What Percent Of Your Income Do You Save Monthly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.