Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Learning Basic Engineering Skills - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Learning Basic Engineering Skills (2275 Views)

Your Computer Does Not Meet The Basic Requirements To Play This Game? Try This! / Start Learning With Amazing Video Tutorials (education, Certifications & Skills) / Basic Things You Need To Know About Inverter And Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 4:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
~ Hi Greatest Engineering Students

I just completed my industrial training and wished to share some of the engineering skills and technical knowledge I acquired whilst undertaking the training.

Actually, the company I undertook the IT are into Research, Designing and Manufacturing of electronic circuits and devices like Inverters, chargers,pump control, LED Displays, etc.

They are also into transformer winding, installation and programming.

Here, we will focuse on eletronics- the basics, power supply, transformers, building of eletronic circuits and others.

So guys, let's contribute and learn from one another.
Engineering could be fun, you know?

> Let me get it started

THE BASICS OF ELECTRONICS
Now, before you can build any electronic device (be it inverter, TV or even a simple circuit like phone charger), you have to know the basics.

The Basics include: discrete components, logic gates ,ICs etc.

Discrete Electronic components: A discrete component is a single basic device that performs certain function(s) in an electronic field or system.

Here we have the likes of resistors, diodes, regulators, capacitors, transistors and thyristors.

Now these components are classified into two- d passive ones & d active ones.

The basic difference btw d two being ability to amplify signals. The active components amplify signals whereas the passive ones do not.

Resistors, capacitors, and inductors fall into passive category; transistors, thyristors are active ones.

* RESISTORS

Everyone knows the basic function of resistors (they limit current flow); there are some other functions they perform depending on their design and type.

Some of these functions include:
as sensors (by LDR), voltage divider, blockers and so on.

Resistors are probably the most common electronic components; and are of different types.

There are fixed ones and variable type

there are sensistive ones - Light Dependent Resistors (LDR) and thermistors.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by luvlyoracle(m): 6:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
I AM WITH YOU.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by IGLE25(m): 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ride on Bro....
luvlyoracle: I AM WITH YOU.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by khaynoni(m): 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
Following...
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Pato5(m): 10:43am On Jul 15, 2014
I'm an engineering student so your info is invaluable to me.
ride on sir..
following with a glue
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Penuelseun(m): 6:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
+grabs a chair while listening with rapt attention+ ride on bro
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Penuelseun(m): 6:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
*grabs a chair while listening with rapt attention* ride on bro
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2014
luvlyoracle: I AM WITH YOU.

Thanks gal, let's do it together
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
Pato5: I'm an engineering student so your info is invaluable to me.
ride on sir..
following with a glue

dats d spirit.
Lets make d thread lively
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Pato5(m): 7:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
sir I'm still waiting for your input.
I'm still young but let me add some things.
PASSIVE COMPONENTS:
RESISTOR. this is not new to a science student anyway.
it's analogous to a valve in water pipe.
the higher the resistance ( locking the valve), the lower the current (rate of flow of water).
this is the ohms law in a simplified manner.
it's is the basis of other law ; Kirchoff's law, thevenine theory, Norton's theory, superposition theory, maximum power transfer etc.
these in broad is called CIRCUIT THEOREMS..
NB. current doesn't flow. it's simply the rate electric charges (measured in columbs] flow in a circuit (electric path)
next is CAPACITORS
....... to be cont
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by luvlyoracle(m): 9:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
Pato5: sir I'm still waiting for your input.
PASSIVE COMPONENTS:
the higher the resistance ( locking the valve), the lower the current (rate of flow of water).
it's is the basis of other law ; Kirchoff's law, thevenine theory, Norton's theory, superposition theory, maximum power transfer etc.
NB. current doesn't flow. it's simply the rate electric charges (measured in columbs] flow in a circuit (electric path)
next is CAPACITORS
....... to be cont
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 9:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
Pato5: sir I'm still waiting for your input.
PASSIVE COMPONENTS:
next is CAPACITORS
....... to be cont

Tanx a million times.
I actually skipped some details about dat (resistors) cus I believed we could easily goggle dat.

Friends in d house lets read more on resistor colour bands, tolerance , values; and if any questions, lets bring dem here so we could trash dem out.
Tanx a lot bro
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 10:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
Contn.......

* CAPACITORS

Capacitors are electronic devices dat store charges.
Just like resistors, they are passive components.

They also come in different forms or types. The common ones are electrolytic, ceramic and tantalum capacitors.

The electrolytic and tantalum ones are polarized (have positive and negative poles) while d ceramic type is non- polarized (no positive or negative sides).

NOTE- you can actually create a non-polarized capacitor from 2 polarized ones. E.g,
let's create a 5uf non polarized capacitor from 2 polarized ones of 10uf each.
Procedure- connect d 2 polarized ones back to back, i.e, join d positive leg of one of d electrolytic cap. to d positive leg of d other electrolytic cap., or beta still, join their negative legs together. That way, u have been able to make a non polar capacitor from 2 polarized ones. *diagram on this will come up later.*

NOTE-d longer pins (legs or terminals) of capacitors (and most electronic components) are always d positive pins (side).
The non-polarized ones always have equal legs or pins.

Electrolytic capacitors are used to filter AC signals in power supply. They also acts as couplers and decouplers. More on this will come up as we progress.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 10:37pm On Jul 16, 2014
Pls let's read more and upload diagrams and symbols of dis components
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 7:01am On Jul 17, 2014
U could email me ur phone no wit ur NL username if you are on whatsapp so I cud add you up 2 our group (where we discuss notin but engineering)
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Pato5(m): 9:15am On Jul 17, 2014
vclassics: U could email me ur phone no wit ur NL username if you are on whatsapp so I cud add you up 2 our group (where we discuss notin but engineering)

08166210472 whatsapp
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by hyungwang(m): 9:27am On Jul 17, 2014
08180077562. Bro vclassic add me too. Please.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
hyungwang: 08180077562. Bro vclassic add me too. Please.

kkk
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by luvlyoracle(m): 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
vclassics: U could email me ur phone no wit ur NL username if you are on whatsapp so I cud add you up 2 our group (where we discuss notin but engineering)
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Generalkorex(m): 6:05am On Jul 18, 2014
Add me too
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 18, 2014
Just passing by....

Well, for more advanced electronics engineering systems such as embedded systems design, programming and robotics contact me. Savoelectronics@gmail.com
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by DrChintu: 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
add me
+919595182866
'm 4m india
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Pato5(m): 9:38pm On Jul 18, 2014
some components images and symbols

Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by luvlyoracle(m): 9:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
Pato5: some components images and symbols

1 Like

Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 8:24am On Jul 19, 2014
Contn......

TRANSISTORS

Transistors are eletronics components equipped with d capability of amplification of input signals.

This attribute makes them active devices.

They can also switch on signals.
Transistors usually have 3 terminals and come in different forms. The 3 major types are- BJT, MOSFET & IGBT.

BJT
Bipolar Junction Transistors (BJTs) are perhaps d most common type of transistors.
They are named bipolar cus their operation involves ELECTRONS & HOLES.

BJTs have 3 terminals-base,collector and emitter.
Now, they are of 2 types: d NPN and PNP BJTs.

NPN transistors conprise of semiconductor junctions that share a small p-doped anode.

A PNP transistor consists of 2 semiconductor junctions of n-doped materials.

Bipolar Transistor Configuration
BJTs can be configured in 3 possible ways
-common base conf.
-common emitter conf.
-common collector conf.

*pls read more on this*
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 6:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
Transistors contn.....

MOSFETs

A Metal Oxide semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET) is a special transistor dat can perform various functions including switching on of signals and limiting a device's power levels.

They are categorized into 2 forms- d n-channel and p-channel MOSFETs.

They are 'bi-directional in nature and have 3 terminals-d Drain, Gate and Source.

MOSFETS AND INVERTERS

The MOSFET is of great use in manufacturing inverters as it's d best switching transistor.
Basically, what ur inverter does is to invert d DC voltage of ur battery to AC output voltage. It does dat with d help of MOSFETs. That explains why d output capacity of ur inverter is majorly dependent on d power rating of its transformer and MOSFETS used.
*more on this will come as we progress*
IGBT
Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors are a set of transistors dat integrate some of the functionalities of BJT and MOSFET (hence d name). This attribute makes them ideal switching and amplifying components.

They also have 3 terminals- Collector, Emitter and Gate.

Unlike d MOSFET, an IGBT can't switch on current in d forward direction.
Its advantages include fast switching speed, high voltage capability and zero gate drive current.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by truthislight: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
vclassics:
Transistors contn.....

MOSFETs

A Metal Oxide semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET) is a special transistor dat can perform various functions including switching on of signals and limiting a device's power levels.

They are 'bi-directional in nature and have 3 terminals-d Drain, Gate and Source.

MOSFETS AND INVERTERS

The MOSFET is of great use in manufacturing inverters as it's d best switching transistor.
Basically, what ur inverter does is to invert d DC voltage of ur battery to AC output voltage. It does dat with d help of MOSFETs. That explains why d output capacity of ur inverter is majorly dependent on d power rating of its transformer and MOSFETS used.
IGBT
Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors are a set of transistors dat integrate some of the functionalities of BJT and MOSFET (hence d name). This attribute makes them ideal switching and amplifying components.

Its advantages include fast switching speed, high voltage capability and zero gate drive current.

Hello, how are you doing. Am interested in your IGBT aspect.

When I hear from you, I will proceed with more info.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by truthislight: 3:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
vclassics:
Transistors contn.....

MOSFETs

MOSFETS AND INVERTERS

IGBT

I will need more information from you.

Do reply.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 4:44pm On Apr 19, 2016
hello vclassics, I'll like to contact you, you mind giving ur contact.
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by vclassics: 9:02am On May 12, 2016
Yemmyteespeed007:
hello vclassics, I'll like to contact you, you mind giving ur contact.

sure bro
Re: Learning Basic Engineering Skills by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 9:16pm On May 12, 2016
vclassics:

sure bro
what's your whatsapp contact

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toilet Paper Made Of 22-carat GOLD Goes On Sale For Over N200 Million / MTN Compensates Customers For SIM Re-registration Saga - NGN6000! / How To Make Diy Brushless Motor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.