Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,013 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? (16670 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by moscobabs(m): 8:17am On Jul 15, 2014
That's the africa mentality jare, some yrs back I wanted to give a conductor my fare with left hand,but he rejected it. I tried it 3 times he continue rejectng the money,then I asked him if he doesn't need my money and I threating him that I will nt give him the money again if he reject it once again.then he reluctantly collect it from me with left hand which made me furious cos the conductor was a little boy.I vexed but evrybdy in the bus dey yab me that the boy did the right thing because respect is reciprocal.
I remember d day my friend wanted to give a beggar an alm with a left hand .the beggar recived it with lefthand too

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by nanizle(m): 8:18am On Jul 15, 2014
I dey regularly argue this topic with my old folks.

I believe in the equality of both hands!

angry

12 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:19am On Jul 15, 2014
I get mad when I see parents discouraging their children from using left when right. I know of great men like Obama and BRK that use left.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 15, 2014
African things!

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 15, 2014
Perhaps because the butt is cleaned with the aid of the left hand after an grin excretion operation
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by abdullkabar(m): 8:22am On Jul 15, 2014
Its something our culture brought
Noting special abt it than that left hand is for cleaning dirt(cattarh,igbe etc)
Right hand is more clean or better
Hope I helped sha
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by nickz(m): 8:26am On Jul 15, 2014
has something to do with the hand you use to wipe your a55 grin
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Damyion(m): 8:27am On Jul 15, 2014
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the left hand. It is just as useful as the right, but what can I do? No one can fight against a culture as immense and deep as the african culture!

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Obanleowo(m): 8:27am On Jul 15, 2014
Either left or right just get d message, job, gift, or wateva accomplished.

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by bigemmmybig(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2014
nice topic... i actually rememba an incident wen a frnd of mine mistakenly gave a paper to one of our boses in his own office left handedly. d man got so mad n said to my frnd is he stupid!!!! why wud he b givin him sometin wit d hand he uses to clean his nyash? na so we start to apologise oooo. because of dat d man delayed signin dose papers....
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Damyion(m): 8:30am On Jul 15, 2014
blackchukky: Perhaps because the butt is cleaned with the aid of the left hand after an grin excretion operation
I know some who use their right hands... Baba, you might have shook hands or exchanged money with such a person, who knows?

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 15, 2014
it is considered proper etiquette to always use your right hand..The higher the hands are placed,the more respect is shown..it is our culture,just that people also have to be considerate.If someone's right hand is busy,or if the person is a lefty or if the right hand is injured,then people must be tolerant and understanding at that period..Some people in Nigeria deliberately try to be disrespectful by using their left hand with you. If you grew up in Nigeria and you are trying to use left hand with me, I am within my rights to ignore you
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Egbagirl(f): 8:37am On Jul 15, 2014
The left hand is the owo you have used to san/nu idi e grin
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by hunter21(m): 8:46am On Jul 15, 2014
some black africans are to RIGHTminded liked the atlanteans of acient, that is why anbody can come to connolise them. oduduwa, the british, etc without them giving any fight they stand for nothing, they are extremely female, that is why they hate anything that has to do with left brained strategic thinking they'd rather go with the righthand.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by p2t2r(m): 8:49am On Jul 15, 2014
Ptoocool: Ionno, so i'll rather keep shut..
better you keep shut, so we'll think you're an idio't, than to open it and remove all doubt.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 15, 2014
When in Rome;behave like the Romans.Abroad, things such as always using the right hand to give or receive;greeting one's elders as a mark of respect, etc are not even recognised because they are not part of their culture.You may want to say culture is so old school, but pls be reminded that in abroad;they also have their cultures which they have jealously preserved..Please,it is wrong and against our culture to give or receive with the left hand.If constrained to do so, make effort to show that your right hand is supporting the left in doing so. Foreigners residing in Nigeria should also take note because I'm sure you'd also take an exception to see a stranger go against the norms and etiquettes in your homeland.
Our people have a saying which I'll render in English: When an abomination is continually committed, it'll eventually become tradition. Constant exposure to Western media has so accultured us to abandon our way of life and begin to adopt their's.Please there is nothing "cool" or intellectually superior in displaying that attitude...Embrace what is yours and promote it.
Aphrodite4: I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it. Beht why? Lol

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Harmvirus(f): 8:56am On Jul 15, 2014
Culture
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by slap1(m): 8:59am On Jul 15, 2014
I believe it's a superstitious and cultural thing. Personally, I don't care about it.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by toprealman: 8:59am On Jul 15, 2014
African mentality methinks.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Neldrizzy(m): 9:00am On Jul 15, 2014
Abeg who go gimi red oil and salt mak i tak eat my roasted Yam
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Hadesewa: 9:03am On Jul 15, 2014
To me giving with left hand is very disrespective and rude - it doesnt go in line my culture and believe
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 15, 2014
Try giving me something with left hand and receive a thunderous slap.

Children of nowadays.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Lovexme(m): 9:08am On Jul 15, 2014
I see no difference between the left and the right hand. Only an archaic culture or belief segregates the left hand from the right, or places much importance to the right hand.

3 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Uchwilliam(m): 9:09am On Jul 15, 2014
It depends on d nature of wht am receiving or giving.example if am eating or about to eat and money is given to me i wil collect it with my left hand because of d possible dirt nd contamination it must hv bn exposed to during exchange etc.same goes also whn am giving.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by freecharles(m): 9:10am On Jul 15, 2014
I think its a sign of respect
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by StealthyMe(m): 9:10am On Jul 15, 2014
blackchukky: Perhaps because the butt is cleaned with the aid of the left hand after an grin excretion operation

Have argued this topic severally...and a lady friend of mine said it might be down to the excreta thing..but apart from culture and respect,i see no other reason its wrong.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 9:17am On Jul 15, 2014
Jamean:

I was a lefty for a long time and wiped my butts with my right hand until I learnt hard to change...soo
#youcanfalloffyourrchairandfaint#
Oops, i dont believe it, u are too beautiful to wipe ur a.ss with ur ryt hand. Picture or Idontbelieveit!

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2014
That's how I was disgraced when I went for my friend's wedding. I do everything with my left hand and its not my fault.

I was eating when an elderly woman came and shouted at me saying " why you dey eat with your left hand, your mama no teach you say name right hand people dey use? so my friend came out and said aunty abeg leave her o, na so she be. all her life na left hand, her right hand just dey useless. na only support her right hand dey give her and her papa too na leftie o'. I was so embarrassed and the way this Benin women talk, chai........ I was embarrassed o, I really was embarassed

Well, this is who I am sha, I was born this way and I did not create myself.

3 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Madu100t(m): 9:22am On Jul 15, 2014
fijiano202: I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace
this is awesome i must say, deep insight, need nothing more to learn frm this. Kudos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aina: A Yoruba Term Of EuroAsian Origin / Nigeria Traditional Marriage, The Urhobo Way / Can The Irunmoles Incarnate As Orishas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.