Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,433 members, 7,800,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) (6419 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lonely Days- A Review / Tears Of A Broken Heart-a Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

“Are you talking about the actress?” Nike asked as she sat with Julia in Tonia’s room back in their school. Tonia was in the kitchen and didn’t hear what they were talking about.

“Yes, the actress,” Julia said and stood up in front of the television.

“Wow!! It would have been so hilarious,” Nike said, thinking that was actually an understatement. Right that moment she wished she was there to witness the show of shame.

Thirty minutes later they were sitting in front of the television after a hearty meal.

“I need to get it straight,” Nike said adjusting herself on the couch, “Tomilola actually ranted and called you names in front of Kunle and his friend.”

“That was what we said, wasn’t it? Why are you making emphasis on it?” Julia asked looking at Nike with scornful eyes.

“Okay, that’s good enough. It’s just amusing,” Nike said.

Nike glanced at her wristwatch, “I have to be on my way soon.”

Julia looked questioningly at Tonia who just shrugged. Tonia moved to a side of the kitchen leaving Julia and Nike with the plates.
Julia brought up the issue of Nike and Daniel, her boyfriend.

“I’m not talking about it,” Nike said and continued with what she was doing, “I told you to stop asking about him.”

“Is that the way it is? Okay. I’ll hold onto that.”

Nike told her to do whatever she wanted. Julia felt unhappy for her. She knew Nike had been having problems with Daniel; she had been very strong and had always tried not to show her pain. They had been out of contact for over three months then and it had begun to give Julia some concern to see Nike look so unhappy.

She hugged Nike from behind and Nike burst into tears. Tonia stared in surprise. Nike was tough and top see her cry was unexpected. Julia led her to living room and persuaded her to stop crying and start talking instead.

“You have to let it out soon,” Julia urged.

“Daniel is a married man. I found out that the bastard is a married man, Julia,” Nike began and Julia was too surprised to say anything, the only thing she could utter was, “No way.”

“Yes, I found out when his wife came back into the country,” Nike continued, a lost look on her face, “She came and met me in Daniel’s house and the confrontation …oh, Julia …it was horrible and humiliating.”

Julia shook her head in pity. She just couldn’t imagine how embarrassed Nike might have been. Nike narrated exactly how it happened and burst into another round of tear as she finished talking. Julia allowed her to cry then got up and went into the kitchen to get her a cup of coffee. Nike wiped her tears, smiled and collected the mug from Julia.

They sat there for some minutes without saying anything to each other. Both of them were lost in her world. They were jolted back to life with an alarm from Tonia’s room. Julia stood up and announced that it was time to leave. The others saw her off. Twenty minutes later, Fisayo arrived and wanted to know if Julia was still there. Tonia told him she just left.

“That girl is so stubborn. I told her to wait until I come back,” Fisayo said and went into his room. Nike and Tonia burst into laughter.

Those two were actually dating Tonia thought. Julia had a lot of boyfriends; she never agreed to stick to one person, because she got bored easily. Her fantasies were always wild and crazy, she cared for adventures and always said when she finds the ideal partner, she would settle for him. Her friends had always wondered when that would be.

Soon, Nike took her leave, Tonia saw her off and came back to meet Fisayo in the living room. He sat there hissing and cussing. That was what Julia does to people; Tonia thought grimly and smiled to herself.

She went into the kitchen to start dinner and Fisayo joined her. He stood at the door and cleared his throat. Tonia had her back turned to him so her smile could not be seen.

“Is something wrong?” Tonia asked innocently.

Fisayo moved into the kitchen, leaned on the cabinet and said there was nothing wrong. Tonia said okay and continued with the yam she was peeling.

“Each time I think I have fully understood her, she comes up with a whole new thing,” Fisayo lamented.

Tonia ignored him and lighted the stove.

“Tonia, I need your help,” he finally said.

Tonia turned to face him and said, “Is that so?”

“Yes, that is so. Julia is driving me nuts,” he said and poured water into the pot Tonia held out, she placed it on the lighted stove.

“I thought you said there was nothing wrong,” Tonia asked.

“Can there be nothing wrong when you fall in love with Margaret Thatcher,” Fisayo answered.

Tonia burst into laughter but stopped when she saw the straight look on Fisayo’s face.

“Okay, what do you want me to do?” Tonia asked eventually, “I hope I can help.”

“I really love Julia. We’ll be rounding up next month and she seems not interested in sticking to me,” he said and sat on the kitchen table, “She is a difficult lady.”

Tonia nodded her agreement, “I agree with you.”

“My sister is coming this Saturday to meet Julia and I’m dead scared she will disappear.”

“Who will disappear? Your sister or Julia?” Tonia asked.

“Julia is the one that can disappear. She scares away from commitment and I don’t know why,” Fisayo said looking worried.

“The only thing I will tell you now is to be very patient. Julia is like a bumble bee, she hates staying in a place for too long,” Tonia said.

Fisayo’s phone rang and he made a face and went out. Tonia overhead him arguing with someone and she thought it might be Julia on the other side. Fisayo came back into the kitchen and yelled.

“I really need a miracle!! I think I’ll just go to an herbalist and do a love charm,” he said with all seriousness, “Yes, that’s what I’ll do.”

“Are you insane?” Tonia asked in surprise.

Fisayo smiled and shrugged, “I’m in love with her Tonia and I don’t want to loose her. I’m a desperate guy.”

Tonia told him that using a love charm would not be a lasting solution for love.

“I know. She told me she doesn’t want to meet my sister because my sister is a banker. Julia said she doesn’t have a life except chasing targets and counting money.”

Tonia smiled and shook her head. It was typical of Julia to say such a thing.

“Is that not a nasty thing to say? My sister begged for a day off and Julia thinks so little of her,” Fisayo said in resignation.

Tonia promised to talk to Julia about it and see how she could make her change her mind. Fisayo thanked her and went out of the kitchen. Tonia asked if he would like to eat yam for dinner, he declined.

Julia woke up early enough and started to read her textbook again. Her mind was not really concentrating so she lay back on the bed and let her mind wander as long as it could until it was ready to concentrate.

But minutes later she dozed off only to wake up with the time fast gone. She dashed into the bathroom for a quick shower, had a hurried breakfast and dashed out of the room with her textbook in one hand and her bag in the other.

When she got to the street, there were no okada riders about. It was as if they were on strike or something. Julia began to panic. She looked at her wristwatch and swore then she remembered Desmond.

Desmond was in their class and he lived close to her; better still he had a car. Julia and Desmond were not really on talking terms but she needed a ride. She made up her mind to go looking for Desmond. He’d probably proof hard to persuade, Julia thought as she climbed the stairs to Desmond’s apartment. Desmond was a proud person and this was a turn off for Julia. Maybe I should just go back and look for an okada, Julia thought out loud.

As she made to turn, Desmond’s door opened and he called her name. Julia froze before turning.

“I thought that was you. What is going on?”

“Hi Desmond. Are you ready for school? I can’t find any bike and I was wondering if I could hitch a ride with you,” Julia explained.

Desmond smiled and said it was okay. He asked Julia to come in for him to finish dressing up.

“I think I would prefer to stay outside,” Julia replied.

"What is that supposed to mean? Am I such a monster that you think I will pounce on you if you enter my apartment,” Desmond complained and Julia felt guilty. At least he was offering to help. She said she was sorry and went in after Desmond. It was huge mistake.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 10, 2014
Thanks everyone. I will update this story on Thursdays and Sundays henceforth as I have other stories to attend to too. Thanks again.

Watch out for WHEN FOUL IS FAIR...coming soon. kiss kiss
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by almacherish(f): 10:54am On Aug 12, 2014
Wowsome... Kip it up
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2014
Chapter Twenty Two

Tonia went to school for her last paper and to see her project supervisor. Mindful of Fisayo’s appeal, she watched out for Julia in the examination hall. It was when the invigilators were starting to distribute the answer sheet that Julia walked into the examination hall. Tonia noticed that she was sweating like she had been running, her clothe was wet with sweat and clung to her skin. Her hair was ruffled and looked somehow untidy. Julia never had a piece of her out of place before, Tonia thought. The invigilator told Julia to mount the podium and sit at a table there. Julia looked scared and restless, it was so strange. The examination was soon over and the ladies went to meet Julia who sat glued to her seat.

“Julia, why weren’t you picking your calls?” Nike asked as they got to where Julia was seated, her head bowed.

“Why were you late? Did you oversleep?” Lola asked. Tonia nudged Julia and she started to cry. What could have happened to make Julia cry like this? They led her to a corner in the hall and asked what the problem was. She said she had been raped.

“Raped??!!” the girls shouted in unison.

She told them how she had gotten to streets earlier than the okadas; she had to because she lived in the outskirt of town. She said she got a lift to the park by a gentle – looking man but ended up being gagged and raped on the expressway. Her friends were too surprised to speak.

“I think you should go to the clinic. You need a check up to see if you were not infected with anything by the guy,” Tonia said.

Julia agreed to do what she said. They decided to go the campus clinic. They all went to the clinic and waited while the doctor examined Julia. She was given some injections and told to get some prescribed drugs they didn’t have in their pharmacy. The man even advised her to make a complaint.

“Tonia, please can I have your key?” Julia asked as they left the clinic.

“Fisayo is at home, he will open up,” Tonia answered.

“I’m not in the mood to see him. I can’t face him right now,” Julia said as she started to cry again. Tonia gave her the keys, they helped her into a cab and they all went their separate ways.

Tonia’s supervisor was on her way to a meeting when Tonia got to her office. She told her she had to wait or to come back the following week if she wouldn’t want to wait. Tonia decided to go back the following week because she wanted to be with Julia in case she needed anything. She called Nike and Lola and told them she was on her way home. Nike said she would join her later.

Tonia got to the house and found Fisayo in the living room reading a newspaper. He said hello and continued reading.

“Has Julia been here?” Tonia asked.

“She’s in your room. I can’t take it any more. She came in crying and when I asked what the problem was, she told me to mind my business. Can you just beat that?” Fisayo said loudly and angrily.

Julia opened the door and yelled back at Fisayo to stay out of her business. Tonia implored Fisayo to calm down and led Julia back into the room.

“It’s his fault I yelled. He just won’t leave me alone since I came in,” Julia said as she sat on Tonia’s bed crying.

“You need to stop crying. The deed is done, get over it,” Tonia said.

“Get over it? I was raped by Desmond, Tonia!” Julia replied and lay on the bed, beating the pillow.

Tonia looked at her and told her to repeat what she just said.

“Tonia, it wasn’t just any guy that raped me. It was Desmond,” Julia explained.

“Which Desmond are you referring to? Desmond Darkman, the guy that lives close to you?”

“Yes. I went to him so that he could take me with him since we were writing the same paper and while I waited in his sitting room he crept up behind me and before I knew it he…” Julia said finally.

“Oh my God!! That pig did that to you,” Fisayo exclaimed as he came into the room, “He’ll pay for that. He will surely pay for that.”

He stormed out before anyone could stop him.

“Fisayo! Fisayo!” Julia called after him but he didn’t turn back nor did he retrace his footsteps.

“This is trouble,” Tonia said finally and sat on a chair. Desmond Darkman, they all suspected, was a cultist. The gentle, cool type that strikes when you least expect. Fisayo’s confrontation could bring trouble for him, Desmond and even Julia. Tonia called Nike to report the case at the security office and to the student affairs officer.

By the time Tonia arrived at the campus, the whole place was dry. Few people gathered around. Tonia called Nike and she told Tonia that she was at the clinic. She said Fisayo had been badly injured.

When Tonia got to the clinic, Fisayo was being taken in an ambulance to a teaching hospital in town. There were policemen at the clinic, Tonia sighted Nike and called her. Nike came over to meet her and they went aside to talk. Nike said she went to the CSO’s office but didn’t meet the security officer and as she was going to the student affairs office, she heard a ruckus. She went to the scene only to meet Fisayo struggling with Desmond and some guys, before she could call his attention, one of the guys drew out a small knife and had stabbed him. That was when the chaos started. It became a free for all fight, the guys started waving guns and cutlasses and they shot into the air. People ran away from the scene, the guys guarded Desmond into a bus and drove off.

By then, Fisayo was brutally wounded and was bleeding and writhing in plan on the ground. Nike said she ran to the clinic and they came to take him away; but they had to refer him to a teaching hospital because of the injury to his head. Tonia told Nike what Julia told her and how Fisayo had heard.

A policeman came to where they were seated and asked Nike how the incident happened. Nike told him all she knew. The man asked who Tonia was and she told him she was a friend to Fisayo and that they were housemates. He asked them to contact his family and alert them of the situation on ground.

“Will he be all right?” Tonia asked and she was told to ask the doctor. The police officer asked if he could come over to the house and take a look around so Tonia gave him the address.

Lola joined them later as they were talking to the doctor on duty.

“The cut on his head was deep and that was why we referred him to a better hospital in town,” the doctor was saying.

“But he will be okay right?” Nike asked again and the doctor said the chances of him being mentally disturbed were very probable but he also hoped he would be okay after all. The ladies went back to Tonia’s house and found the policeman talking to the landlord. The landlord called Tonia and asked her to take the officer into their apartment to look around.

Tonia opened the door and they all went inside. They left the officer in the living room as he looked around examining every thing and searching for nothing in particular.

Julia was still asleep when the ladies entered Tonia’s room. It seemed that the prescriptions the doctor gave her included some sleeping pills. Tonia asked whom would tell her about the incident and no one answered. The officer knocked on the door and Tonia went out to meet him. He said he would like to search Fisayo’s room.

“Why would you want to do that?” Tonia asked.

“We really want to make certain that he is not a cultist himself. The fight may have something to do with cultism,” the officer concluded.

Tonia felt the urge to tell him all that actually happened but she restrained herself. She wouldn’t want to cause Julia any more embarrassment.

“Do you have the key?” The officer asked and Tonia said no. She told him that Fisayo had left in a hurry and probably left his door unlocked.

True to that fact, they met the door unlocked and the police officer went through his room. He saw Julia’s picture on Fisayo’s television and asked who she was. Tonia told her that she was his girlfriend.

“Do you know where I can find her? She might be of great help,” he said. At that point Julia entered the room and said she would like to be of help in anyway possible.

“Is this you?” the policeman asked holding up the picture frame in his hand, Julia answered in affirmation. She told him about the rape and how Fisayo had found out and went after Desmond. The policeman wrote down some things in his jotter and said he would come back again if he needed any other information. He asked for any phone number they could call to inform Fisayo’s family members. Julia gave him his sister’s number. The police officer thanked them again and went on his way.

“I will never forgive myself if something happens to Fisayo,” Julia said and started to cry, “He is the only one I can say I really love.”

Her friends just looked on and couldn’t comfort her, “It’s not worth crying over spilled milk,” Lola implored, “Get a hold on yourself.”

“Let’s just go and see him at the hospital,” Nike said.

“I should just have kept quiet. I shouldn’t have said anything,” said Julia biting her fingers and crying.

“Don’t blame yourself,” Lola said.

“It’s my fault. I can’t keep a guy and the first one I actually think I’m falling for has to suffer because of my big mouth. I’m bad luck,” Julia commented.

“Shut your loud mouth and pull yourself together,” Tonia said angrily, “Cry all the tears that can fill an ocean and it will not undo what has been done.”

“Stop it, Tonia. Don’t talk to her like that. She’s been through a lot,” Nike rebuked and took Julia to the bedroom.

Tonia called Kunle and told him what happened. He was alarmed, he asked if Tonia was alright and he promised to visit Fisayo over the weekend.

They all took their bags and went to the hospital to see Fisayo who was still unconscious. His weak, almost lifeless body was all Julia could take and the tears started again. They went out of the hospital and decided to come back the next day. Julia opted to stay by him just in case he woke up and needed something. They all left her there and went away.

The girls met Fisayo’s sister at the hospital gate. She asked Tonia which ward her brother was and she was told.

“Do you know about Julia? Do you know her?”

“She is there with him He’s still unconscious when we left,” Tonia replied, Fisayo’s sister thanked her and went towards the male ward.

What a day, Tonia thought. If someone had told her the day would be like this, she would have called the person a big liar.

“There is such a little gap between life and death,” she said and the other girls agreed.

“You should have seen the blood,” Nike said, “It was oozing out so much that I almost fainted myself.”

“Thank God you didn’t. I just hope he comes out of it. To think disaster has a way of bringing love together,” Lola said and shook her head.

“Nobody could have guessed Julia of all people would admit to being in love with someone like Fisayo,” Nike said, “A mere student.”

Julia said love had a way of doing things and fate has a way of making things happen.

Weeks passed with Julia visiting Fisayo everyday at the hospital. He survived the attack and their love story really began.

Desmond Darkman was arrested at a marijuana joint outside town and convicted of attempted murder and rape. His lawyer claimed that he was not the one that stabbed the victim; the judge said he would be in police custody until the others were found and if they were not found in two weeks, he would face the music alone. His sentence for rape and assault were however certain so The lawyer told the ladies.

Julia and Ebun, Fisayo’s sister, became quite close. Tonia and the others helped Fisayo pack his things and transported it to his parent’s house. Mr. Fasakin sent his driver to park Tonia’s things and she said goodbye to Seun, her other co-tenant and to the landlord too.

Tonia branched at the hospital to visit Fisayo and she met the other girls there.

“That plaster on your head gives you a very funny look,” Tonia said as she walked in, “Hello.”

“You are a bad person. You lived with him for four years and you call my Romeo a clown. Fizzy, don’t talk to her again,” Julia replied and hugged Fisayo who winced, “Sorry darling.”

The other girls looked at each other and smiled.

“I know what is going through that silly head of yours,” Julia commented, “I know better now.”
Fisayo smiled knowingly.

“That’s my Lioness,” he said. They all laughed. Fisayo asked Tonia about Kunle. He told her that he was there the previous day to visit him. Tonia said she didn’t see him.
Fisayo smiled and told her he'd just came briefly to see him. They all chatted on life after school.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
Chapter Twenty Three

A soft–sell magazine carried the news on the incident that happened in Kunle’s house with Tomilola. Kunle was so embarrassed and was so angry. She vowed to teach Tomilola a lesson for humiliating him like that. He asked Tonia if she'd read the article the day she visited him and she confirmed reading it but advised Kunle against contacting Tomilola about it.

“I should not? Tonia, the stupid woman attracted these stupid cunning reporters to my house to peer into my privacy,” Kunle said with concern reeking in his voice, “Me!”

“It really doesn’t matter. It would only worsen the matter if you decide to take any stupid step,” Tonia countered. Kunle agreed and said he would not do any thing about it even when people and even his own employees start to look at him with funny faces.

Tonia smiled and told him to promise not to do anything extra ordinary about the issue. Kunle finally agreed grudgingly.

Tonia lay in the warmth of Kunle’s arm. Oh, how I love this man, she thought. She thought of all the months she’d been dating him and the situations with Tomilola. It was hard to remember she’d been reluctant to be committed to him. He was everything a woman could possibly want a man to be and he was hers. What else could go wrong? They were perfect together and he had shown her love; her life and expectations had changed. She thought of Sam and the lost years and a sob rose in her throat. He wasted most of her life treating her like a door mat. Kunle took her into his arms when he noticed the tears gathering.

“Darling?” he said. “Are you okay?”

Tonia nodded and smiled as best as she could “I’m fine,” she whispered.

Kunle knew that wasn’t true. In the diffused light of the bulb, he could see the sparkle of tears in Tonia’s lashes as it gathered.

“Is it me? I won’t do anything to hurt you. I promise I will not do anything about the issue,” Kunle said, his voice laced with guilt as he drew her closer.

“No, I’m sorry,” Tonia replied, “I just remembered something in my past.”

The warmth of his embrace, the joy of having him hold her close brought a smile to her lips. He smiled back at her.

“What ever it is, I don’t want you to think about it when you are with me,” Kunle said as he looked into her eyes.

Tonia smiled deeper and Kunle could tell that his words had pleased her.

“You are mine,” Kunle said. “You are the only one I ever want,” he said again. They fell asleep in each other’s arms. The two of them woke up the next morning with arms entangled.

“Mmmhhh?” Kunle murmured, pressing his lips to Tonia’s throat. He got up and slapped her lightly on the backside.

“Hey mister. Stop that,” Tonia said indignantly.

“Good morning darling,” Kunle answered. He rolled from the bed, padded to the window and flung open the curtain.

“It’s morning Miss. Do you know what that means?” Kunle asked. Tonia smiled and groaned. She knew what was coming, it was breakfast. Most men never bothered about breakfast, but not her own man.

Her phone started to ring. It was Julia and Tonia asked how Fisayo was faring. Julia told her she saw the gossip on Kunle and wondered what he was doing about it. It was typical of Julia to want first class clarification.

They talked for several minutes and had to cut it short at the sound of the doorbell.

“I’ll talk to you later,” Tonia said and hung up. Kunle told her, he would answer the door and implored Tonia to go to the kitchen. He claimed his hunger couldn’t wait. The door bell continued ringing consistently.

“Who is that anyway,” Kunle said and made for the door. He asked who it was when he got down stairs.

“Open up, It’s the police,” someone said at the door. Kunle smiled. It was probably Simon at the door, he thought.

“Have you really discovered the crime so soon?” He said as he opened the door. Tonia asked who it was.

“It’s Simon…,” he made to say but the words froze as he saw two uniformed men standing at the door with a third one in mufti. The third one asked if he was Mr. Hassan.

‘Yes I am. How may I help you?” Tonia heard Kunle asked as she came into the sitting room.

“You are under arrest for attempted rape and assault on Miss. Tomilola Haastrup,” the third man said and told one of the uniformed policemen to cuff Kunle. Tonia screamed and asked what the problem was when she saw the cuffs.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Kunle asked, “Attempted rape and assault on Tomilola. What nonsense is this?”

“You are advised to keep all your comments because all what you say will be used against you in the court of law,” the second policeman said as he cuffed Kunle and dragged him outside.

Just then, Simon drove in and asked what the problem was. Kunle told him the offence they said he had committed. Simon advised him to go with them and promised to follow in his own car. Tonia had started to cry and just couldn’t afford to see her man being dragged away like a common criminal. Kunle was led into the police van and they drove away with him. Tonia moved to Simon’s car and made to enter.

“You can not come with me,” Simon said as he moved to his car. It was too much for Tonia to swallow. She just couldn’t imagine why Tomilola could have told such lies. Tonia finally agreed to stay back and called Julia as Simon drove off.

Few minutes later Julia arrived and they eagerly waited for Simon to come back. As they talked, Simon came back with another man whom he introduced as Kunle’s lawyer. He said they had been to the police station and were fighting for Kunle to be released on bail.

“Why would Tomi do such a thing?” Tonia asked Simon, “Can’t she just leave us alone?”

Simon said he didn’t know why but he would have to find out. He said they claimed Tomi went to the police station looking like someone that had been attacked. They said she claimed that Kunle molested her because of the matter that was mentioned in the magazine. Tonia couldn’t believe her ears when Simon finished talking. She wanted to know when Tomi made the report and she was told that it was the Tuesday of the previous week.

“And they had to wait till now before making the arrest,” Julia said, “Sounds fishy to me.”

“It is all grossly untrue and quite unbelievable if you ask me. Madam, where were you then?" the lawyer asked. Tonia told him that she was actually at her own house in Suleja. Tonia begged them to get to the root of the matter.

She just wanted Kunle back. She wanted to know if she could go and visit him at the police station. But the lawyer said it was not necessary. The men stood up to leave and Tonia escorted them to their cars.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Jeanfortune(f): 4:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
hey shoefreak, whatever happened to u?, nice updates anyways
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by DoroCute(f): 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2014
@shoefreak babes I duff cap for Ɣφυ ooooo

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by seunviju(f): 1:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
Wow,dis is lovely.You've got a wonderful story
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 27, 2014
No mind me. Updating now...

Jeanfortune: hey shoefreak, whatever happened to u?, nice updates anyways
seunviju: Wow,dis is lovely.You've got a wonderful story
thank you.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 27, 2014
Chapter Twenty Four

As the van drove him out of the compound, Kunle looked back at Tonia as she cried. He had an instinctive feeling that it was going to be a long day to remember. As they got to the station and was being put behind bars, Kunle was then fully aware of the real problem facing him. It had seemed an easy misunderstanding to him but any little hope he had began to fade as the policeman locked up the cell. His mind went to Tomilola.

Tomilola had really bitten more than she could chew, but then who would believe him? His mind went to Tonia, he hoped she would not think he actually did it. His lawyer would believe him and would smell through the set-up, he hoped. He prayed that the man would hasten things up for his release. Kunle sat back and relaxed a bit and studied his environment.

The cell was small and an inmate was sleeping on his back at a corner. The cardboard he was sleeping on was damp and sticky. There were scribbles on the dirty, black walls. The place smelt of sweat, urine and dirt. The air was heavy with dust. Kunle sniffed and sneezed. The action woke the sleeping man. He sat up and glared angrily at Kunle. His hair was thick and tangled. His overgrown beard showed hints of dirt. He motioned for Kunle to move closer and when he refused. The man got up and moved closer to Kunle and to Kunle’s surprise, the man slapped him.

His palm was dirty, he'd left some of the dirt on Kunle's cheek. Kune shouted in surprise and anger. The man told Kunle to keep quiet before he gets really beaten and resumed his former position on the floor. Kunle rubbed his cheek and moved closer to the bars, to be as far away from the crazy man as possible. He needed fresh air, the one inside the cell seemed unhealthy.

He drew in a deep breath though it still felt tacky but it was better. His rainbow had vanished into a black cloud and he wondered about life in this cell for just a few days. It'd be hellish, he thought. He stole a glance at the sleeping man who was now snoring heavily. It took him a moment or two to shake off the feeling of depression that lashed at him from the depth of his stomach. He was here now, so accepting his situation, he shrugged and leaned on d bars. At least, he knew Simon and his lawyer would soon be there to solicit for his release on bail or something. They should just come up with something to take him away from there.

Minutes later, Kunle sprang up as he heard footsteps and held unto the bars. A policeman came into view but walked past him to the other end of the corridor. Kunle sat down dejectedly. One hour later however, Simon came with the lawyer. They talked at length and told Kunle that he would have to spend the night at the police station. Kunle was disappointed. He asked if they could arrange for him to be placed behind the counter outside and the lawyer said he would go and see how possible it would be.

Kunle asked Simon how Tonia was; he asked if he had contacted Tomilola. Simon told him all they had done in the past few hours since he has been there. He told him about his bail which they were hoping would come through the following day. The inmate growled and stared angrily at the two men. He warned them to keep their voices down or they would be sorry. Simon moved back.

The lawyer came back and told them the request for Kunle to be placed behind the counter had been refused. Kunle looked at the inmate who smiled at him with his brown teeth exposed. The policeman came to meet them, he told Simon and the lawyer that it was time for them to leave. They said goodbye and went away. Kunle stood transfixed at the bars and felt his world collapsing around him. The policeman came back and asked the other man if everything was alright.

“No wahala officer,” the inmate replied.

“Abeg. Make you take god care of this our August visitor. Make you give am VIP reception,” the officer said and Kunle glared warningly at him, “He is an important man.”

“Wetin the man do self? The man fine well.”

“Cobra, he no tell you. He go one pretty woman house and wan go heaven by force,” the officer said.

“Ah.. Ah.. Ah. Na true? I don like am. He be like say me and am go like each other well, well,” Cobra replied.

“I’ll leave the two of you together then,” the police officer said and walked away.

It dawned on Kunle that it was all planned. They wanted this beast to beat him up; may be Tomilola had paid them to put him in the worst cell and with the worst criminal.

“Hey make you look here. Na you dey vex big woman for television?” Cobra asked.

“No. I didn’t annoy anybody. It is a set up.”

“Which one be all the grammar. Then don pay me five wrap of Igbo to panel beat your fine face,” Cobra said, as he moved closer to Kunle who was backing away from him.

Kunle weighed the chances of engaging in a fight with the ape. He was larger and his hands were hard and wide. Kunle gave up and started to beg the man. He was still begging when the first blow landed on his chest.

After every other person had gone, with Julia in the guestroom, the silence inside the house was deafening. Tonia was too stupefied by Kunle’s absence to eat and sleep. The room wasn’t quite the sanctuary it used to be, she wondered how Kunle was faring. She went back to the sitting room and decided to read herself to sleep.

Hours later she was still very much awake and she decided to take a hot bath. The hot bath helped her nerve and she actually felt better by the time she got out of the bath tub. She went into the bedroom and layed on the bed. She couldn’t stop thinking about Kunle. The love he'd shown her. He wanted to make a better life with and for her.

He wanted her to forget all her worries. He had guts and determination, and Tonia admired that. She suddenly wanted to cry, she still couldn’t phantom the fact that Tomilola would go to such extreme to get back at Kunle for leaving her. Shouldn’t film stars act like a role model? Give their audience a good picture of themselves?

But apparently none of these things had appealed nor occurred to Tomilola, the desperate ex-girlfriend. Then Tonia realized that Kunle would be the one suffering in that little cell they would have squeezed him in. She was sorry for both herself and Kunle. She wished she was more like Julia. A thing like that never happened to Julia. And as she turned on her side to sleep, she promised herself that for Kunle’s sake, she wouldn’t let Tomilola get away with her lies.

In the early hours of dawn, Tonia moaned and tossed violently, throwing the bed cover off her body. She layed floating between sleep and wakefulness. Her breath came in ragged gasps as she saw Kunle being hit by masked men and Tomilola laughing in a corner.

Julia had heard Tonia scream and had thought someone had sneaked into the house while they slept. She got to the room only to find her friend rolling around in bed, dreaming. Julia knelt on one knee and raised her hand to settle them on Tonia’s shaking shoulders.

“Tonia? Are you okay? Wake up, please!” Julia began, not sure of what to say. Her hands wavered inches from Tonia’s shoulders, she didn’t know whether to touch her or not. She said Tonia’s name continuously until the sleeping lady opened her eyes.

“It’s alright. It was just a bad dream. You are here in your bedroom,” Julia said.

Tonia’s face was contorted. For several long agonizing seconds she stared at Julia not sure of what to say.

“That’s good,” Julia whispered seeing Tonia’s eyes had begun to loose their terrified look, “Breathe slowly.”

Tonia began to cry inside, the tears would not come. She was terrified of what she was going through at that moment. Tonia got up, she staggered and fell. She wanted to shake off the feeling the terrible nightmare had caused her. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the gentle beating of her heart. When she opened her eyes some minutes later, she saw Julia with a cup of coffee and she pulled back the window blind to bring in the brightness of the day.

Licking her dry lips, Tonia greeted Julia. Julia was relieved to see that she was back to her normal state of mind.

“Oh, you scared the devil out of me,” Julia said.m she went on to tell her how she had thought someone had broken in. When Tonia saw the knife in Julia’s hand; she smiled and told Julia how silly the thought was. They were few feet up and therefore no one could have possibly broken in without waking them up. She narrated her dream to Julia and how frightening it was.

Julia smiled and told her to forget about it because it was just a stupid dream. Then she went out to make breakfast. Tonia went back to bed and laid down.

Julia came in later to call her out for breakfast and told her that someone was on the phone. Tonia went downstairs reluctantly to receive the call. It was Simon, he told her that there was a great possibility that Kunle would be coming home with him that day. Tonia could not hide her joy and she ran inside the guest room to tell Julia what seemed like good news. Tonia told her what Simon 'd said and Julia said she was happy that their worst fear wasn’t going to happen after all.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 27, 2014
Chapter Twenty Five

Their day was spent in gloom. Julia tried very hard to keep Tonia’s mind distracted and less occupied with fear. They sat on the single bench in the garden and talked about getting married. The honk of a car brought the two ladies to their feet and Tonia ran to see who it was. She got to the front of the house to see Simon and the lawyer as they drove in. Tonia closed her eyes for a moment.

She couldn’t beat back the tears that were beginning to gather in her eyes. When she discovered Kunle was not with them. The tears flowed freely and Simon was caught off guard to see Tonia’s tears.

“You really don’t have to cry,” Simon implored. Julia came over to where they stood and patted Tonia on the shoulder. Tonia wished the tears would stop clouding her eyes, but the feeling was just too great. The pent-up grief that she had to carry since Kunle’s arrests was the cause of the tears. It wasn't something she could stop like that. Why were they not there with Kunle, Tonia thought?

“There is no reason to be alarmed. The IPO simply told us to come back in the evening,” the lawyer said, looking at Simon for help.

Julia scolded Tonia and led her into the house as the men followed. They got into the house and sat down but Julia walked Tonia into the bedroom to freshen up. When they came out Simon announced that he had to go and see Tomilola and he left the lawyer behind.

Tonia asked if the lawyer would like to eat anything while he waited, he declined but asked for some juice instead. The ladies went into the kitchen; Tonia poured some juice into a cup and some biscuits in a plate and took it to the lawyer. She went back into the kitchen, washed and stacked the dishes as Julia cleaned up the glasses and swept the floor.

When Tonia finished, Julia was drying her hands on a towel. Tonia thanked Julia for all her support, Julia smiled and said it was all she could do. She knew Tonia was surprised she could stay back to help her without complaining that she had to be somewhere important. The doorbell rang and Julia went out to get the door. She came back to inform Tonia of Nike’s arrival.

“Is he not back?” Nike was asking the lawyer as Tonia walked into the sitting room. The lawyer affirmed that he would be released that day but it would be some time in the evening. He was crossing and uncrossing his legs uncomfortably and smiling widely, which infuriated Tonia. She tried to speak but couldn’t manage more than a strangled word.

Finally she licked her lips, swallowed hard and blurted out a sentence.

“What did you say?” Nike asked. Tonia marched to where the lawyer was seated and glared at him.

“I don’t know how you make your own moves,” she snapped, “but you’ve forgotten one minor thing.” Her chin lifted and she pointed her fist into her chest.

“Tonia?” Nike said.

“I am the one suffering this ordeal. I haven’t had any sleep since Kunle’s arrest. The thought of the torture he could be going through is eating at my heart and you sit here and tell me it’s going to be okay. When lawyer, when exactly are we talking about?” Tonia concluded.

Julia and Nike exchanged glances; they were surprised at Tonia’s sudden outburst. Nike eyed the lawyer and signaled at him to calm down. The lawyer jumped and winced at Tonia’s outburst. He stared briefly at Nike then at Julia. She was also staring at him with a look that could put a hole in a rock. He leapt to his feet and brought out his mobile phone from his pocket and dialed a number.

Tonia sat down dejectedly and took a deep breath; she apologized to the lawyer who was busy with his phone. He moved further away from them and started talking to whoever it was he'd called in a harsh tone.

Minutes later, he moved back to his seat and sat down without saying a word. The others watched him, even Tonia waited for him to explode in fury but the lawyer didn’t do anything. He just sat there; his facial expression hard like it was made of stone and it was that stony look that baffled Tonia.

“I’m sorry for my outburst,” she said unsteadily, “but I really would appreciate it if you can tell me the real situation of things.”

“What situation of things?” the lawyer asked. His stony face fixed on the television screen.

“If he would actually be released on bail,” Tonia asked grimly.

“You need to relax. Sit down and relax everything will be over soon,” replied the lawyer, a forced smile on his face.

“That’s the point,” Tonia said and stamped her feet.

“Tonia, please calm down and let’s wait as he suggested,” Nike said sternly. “Pull yourself together. Julia, you are not helping.”

“What should I do? Why is he just sitting here doing nothing?” Julia replied angrily.

Tonia hesitated. “Okay, let’s wait.” She sighed and started toward the door.

“Where are you going?” Julia asked and went after Tonia.

Tonia ignored her and continued walking towards the door. Julia shrugged and went back to her seat. They all watched as Tonia came back and started pacing back and forth. They could see that she wasn’t anywhere near as calm as they’d thought. Tonia stared at them, her eyes huge and dark, and her mouth trembling. She was still that way when Simon returned later.

Tonia sighed as Simon made his way into the sitting room. Tonia forced back the almost overwhelming desire to hug him and looked expectantly at him.

“Is everything okay?” Simon asked as he moved further into the sitting room and sat down.

“Everything is perfect,” the lawyer said grimly “Did you see her? What did she offer?”

Tonia looked at the lawyer with scornful eyes and looked away when she saw Julia’s stern one. The others waited for Simon to tell them what transpired between him and Tomilola.

Minutes ticked away as he sat there, his head in his hands. Then slowly, he looked up and began to smile.

“What’s so funny Simon?” Tonia said breathlessly. Julia felt like slapping the smile off his face. What did he find funny in all the mess? She always hated him for his nonchalance.

“The whole thing blew open,” he replied. The lawyer’s stony face became harder.

And as Simon’s smile turned into a hearty laugh, Kunle yanked the door open and walked into the sitting room. Tonia yelled and ran into his open arms, tears flowing. Julia laughed out loud. This is getting very interesting, she thought.

The lawyer rose slowly and came to where Simon sat. Simon watched him as he came closer and asked what the problem was. The lawyer’s breathing quickened; a little shudder went through Julia as she saw the lawyer’s face. The lawyer suddenly had this creepy effect on her and she couldn’t understand why. She moved away from his side.

“Lawyer Martins, the game is over. I can’t believe you connived with Tomilola to set me up,” Kunle accused the lawyer. The lawyer stared at him.

“I don’t know what you are talking about. What is this?” he asked instead.

“Of course you don’t,” Simon said angrily, “Well, may be it’s all a mix up.”

Simon tossed an envelope on the table and Julia picked it up. The content was photographs of the lawyer and Tomilola in different discriminating positions. She couldn’t believe her eyes and said so.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…” the lawyer began.

“Spare us that nonsense” Kunle yelled. “Officers you can come in now”.

Some uniformed policemen came into the room and bundled the lawyer out of the house after receiving a huge slap from the furious Julia. Kunle stared down into Tonia’s flushed face.

“Tonia…,’ he said softly. “Oh, Tonia.”

“Congratulations, darling,” Tonia said. “I was worried stiff you would be there for a long time”

Kunle looked at Tonia again; it felt so good to hold her again. Tonia stood beside him, her shoulder brushing his.

Tonia led him to the couch while the others waited anxiously. They wanted to know what happened between the arrest and that moment. Kunle told them that the person they would have to thank was Simon. He said he didn’t know how he did it but he did.

Much later, after a hearty meal, they all sat in the sitting room and settled down to hear Simon’s story. He narrated the incident from when Tomilola had called him. She had asked, actually begged him to come over so he went to her house and met Gbemi, Tomilola’s boy friend instead of Tomilola herself. It was Gbemi that told him that Tomilola was out and would be back soon.

Simon said they had sat and talked about Kunle. Gbemi had not known Simon was anyway connected to Kunle and was only telling him that Tomilola was planning on setting Kunle up and that he, Gbemi, couldn’t talk her out of it.

“What??” Julia asked with surprise.

“That was exactly what came to my mind but I couldn’t say anything,” Simon said and shifted in his seat and continued his story. He said that Gbemi had told him how Tomillola contacted Kunle’s lawyer who happened to be a very good friend of hers when Kunle and Tomilola were still together. It was the lawyer that mapped out the strategy they would use to set up Kunle and money exchanged hands.

Gbemi said he didn’t trust the lawyer so he had paid a private investigator to tail him; he took some photographs of their meeting and tapes of their conversations. It was then that Simon told Gbemi who Kunle was to him. Simon said he had pleaded for him to release the pictures and tapes so that he could use them to free Kunle. Gbemi agreed willingly, he claimed to be tired of Tomilola anyway.

"She is a bitch," he had said," Simon said.

Simon then took the photograph to the police station and was able to get Kunle out. Tomilola had since not called Simon back.

“I’m sure she suspected the lawyer would have been arrested,” Julia added.

Just then, Simon’s phone began to ring and he talked into his phone, giving Kunle’s address to whoever it was.

“Who was that?” Kunle asked still holding Tonia.

“That was Gbemi. He said he would like to see you,” Simon replied.

“I would like to see him too,” Kunle agreed and they all concentrated on the television.

Gbemi joined them later, Simon introduced everyone to him and he introduced himself. As they talked, Tomilola bursted into the house, she scanned the faces and as it rested on Gbemi, she frowned. She gave an angry sneer before storming out of the room amidst a roar of laughter.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Jeanfortune(f): 5:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
good for her, nonsense , man no do again, na force, and i hope cos she is an actress does not mean she is free from punishment
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by seunviju(f): 11:58am On Aug 28, 2014
Nonsense girl,shey na by force to date am ni,Keep doing the best work
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 18, 2014
Chapter Twenty Six

Tomilola remained at large. She just disappeared and left no trace. Kunle and Tonia finally decided to tie the knot the following year. Nike was appointed as she chief bridesmaid, to Julia's reluctance though. She was more beautiful but she didn't like the gown. Julia and Fisayo were also waxing stronger and they also fixed a date for their wedding.

When Julia went to visit Tonia at her parent’s house in Suleja they talked about the incident. Julia was still baffled with all what Tomilola did.

“I really don’t believe it,” Julia said wistfully. She and Tonia were standing side by side at the balcony in front of Tonia’s house.

“You should have been there,” Tonia said and turned her back. It was quite unbelievable, she thought. It angered her that Tomilola had not been seen anywhere since it happened, she realized that she dreaded the day she would set her eyes on the lady again. She feared what her reaction would be.

“What amazes me is that she practically disappeared,” Tonia said to Julia with a puzzled look on her face.

“Not with all that publicity. The dailies really made sure she doesn’t act in this country again, maybe she is in Ghana,” Julia replied.

They talked about Fisayo and his offer of appointment in an advertising agency as a graphic artist. They started discussing the intricates of the job and also the odds associated with working for a private firm. The company gave the appointment on a three months probation basis only because of his creativity. The firm promised to help him secure his NYSC primary assignment with them. It was a wonderful package as he would be paid half his salary for the first three mouths and full salary after that with the summation of the unpaid half. To them, it would be hard but they were grateful all the same.

Julia also secured a job as a client service executive while Tonia decided to open a supermarket and be a business woman.

Months after the discussion, Tonia got married to Kunle in an elaborate ceremony. Tonia was surprised at the crowd that gathered on the day. Faces she had never seen and the ones he'd only seen in magazines; the high and mightiest in the society. There were Nollywood actors and actresses that came with Gbemi. It was quite a typical Lagos society wedding with all the flamboyance and elegance that were associated with it. In attendance also were political top shots that were the guests of Mrs. Hassan from Lagos and even within Abuja itself.

There were two popular musicians at the venue to entertain guest with music, the event was managed by a Sappric events, a popular events planner in Lagos and it was well attended.

At the wedding, Nike met Andre, a Caucasian based in Lagos. He had come to Nigeria to search for business opportunities but fell in love with the country and stayed back fully. He was a forty year old widower with a six year old girl. A relationship was established after the meet; he showered Nike with attention, money and love.

Everyone was happy for Nike, especially Julia. She was fortunate to come across a better man than that horrible Daniel. Andre was a perfect gentleman and he treated Nike well.

“I’m so jealous of you and Andre,” Lola said one day when they went visiting at the house which Andre had bought for Nike at Wuse district.

“It’s like God knew my plight and gave me the best I could wish for,” Nike replied.

“So when is the wedding bell ringing?” Julia asked.

“Well, we are taking our time actually,” Nike answered with all smiles.

Tonia said she wished they would be fast about it because she would like them all to be as happy as she was in their husbands’ houses.

“Talking about that, I really object to Nike being your maid of honor, Julia,” said Lola.

“Why?” Nike asked indignantly.

“Were you not the maid of honor for Tonia, you took the lovely dress and now you want another one. It won’t happen” Lola said.

"Which lovely dress? Tonia did that on purpose and her plan didn't work!" Julia replied and they all laughed.

"You no well oooo!" Tonia said.

“Do you know who you are talking to? She’ll soon be a Canadian citizen, you know, good for my status” countered Julia with a smile.

“Talking about that, Lola, why are you so bent on traveling to London?” Tonia asked with all seriousness.

“You all should know why. Look at you, your supermarket Anything Exclusive is a gigantic one,” Lola said looking at Tonia, and then she turned to Julia. “You are paid over a hundred thousand naira at the company where you work and your fiancée is not doing badly. We all know Nike swims in foreign currency. But mine is a different case. Shile is just a secondary school teacher and he is only paid peanuts and I am yet to secure a good job.”

“That’s not enough reason to travel out of the country. You work in a bank for goodness sake,” Tonia countered, looking around for support from the others.

“Don’t even go there. I work there as a what? I work there as a teller clerk, contract staff. It just suits and smiles with heat on my skin."

“Tonia, you should leave Lola alone. She knows what she wants,” Julia said, “This country is not really encouraging.”

“Asides that I intend to do my MBA in London anyway, so why can’t I just go now. I have a reliable agency here that can help me with it,” Lola said.

“Is that so?” Tonia asked.

“Stop being sarcastic, Tonia. But Lola you have to be careful with how you handle this so called travel agency,” Julia said to Lola and switched the television on.

Tonia snatched the remote control and turned it off. “This is not the time,” she said.

“Tonia, I know your fear but I’m sure everything will work out okay,” Lola said.

Andre came into the sitting room with his little girl. The girl went straight to Nike, gave her a warm hug and went over to sit by her dad.

“I hope I’m not interrupting some girl talk,” Andre said to the ladies when he saw their glum faces.

“No it’s okay. It’s nothing serious,” Nike replied, “How are you? How did it go?”

"It went well," Andre said.

“Tonia, are you sure you are okay? Your face looks so worried,” Andre observed.

“She had a problem with my traveling abroad,” Lola replied, “By the way, can you help?”

“Lola!” the other ladies screamed. Andre smiled and said it was okay, that he would talk to his friends at the embassy. He excused himself and went up with Nike.

“I know you,” the little girl said, “You are the one that married Kunle.”

“Well, I sure am. Aren’t you a smart one,” Tonia replied and smiled.

“Yes I am. Kunle is very nice. I love him,” The little girl said and folded her legs.

“That’s nice to know. What’s your name again?” Julia asked.

“My name is Yvonne Opeyemi Reynolds,” the girl answered.

“Opeyemi is a nice name. Yvonne is a cute one too. What does it mean?” Julia asked.

“I’m not sure. I know Opeyemi means ‘I should be thankful’ my mummy gave me the name. Daddy gave me Yvonne but I don’t know what that means,”

“That is interesting. Your mum named you Opeyemi,” Julia said further, still smiling pleasantly.

“Yes, she’s Yoruba. She’s from Ibadan in Oyo State,” Yvonne answered.

“It’s a very lovely state. Have you ever been there to visit your mum’s folks? Tonia asked.

“I went there just once. Mummy never lived here before. Dad is always busy. Nike promised to take me there,” Yvonne replied.

“Aren’t you an interesting girl? What school do you attend? Do you school here in the country?” Julia asked this time.

“Yes, my school is here. I attend Lekki British International School.”

“Wow. That’s a very nice school. I’m sure you’ll really like it there. It’s no different from schools in your dad’s country,” Julia replied.

“Yes I like it a lot. The children are okay and the teachers are great too. The other Nigerian kids are also quite friendly,” Yvonne said.

“How old are you again?” Julia asked with a raised eye brow.

“I’m six years old. I’ll be seven next month,” said Yvonne as she raised six little fingers. "LI am very smart."

Julia and Lola exchanged quizzical looks; it was obvious they were amazed. Yvonne went away soon enough and left the grown ups to their little gossip. Nike joined them later.

Tonia entered her office in the supermarket through the private back door, hung her brown colored suit on the peg behind the door, walked to the open window and admired the morning sunshine and the warm smell of cake and coffee. It was the kind of morning that puts the edgy kind of people in a good mood.

She watched a dog lift its leg against the side of a sign-post, a woman waving at somebody in the opposite window and a wine Honda jeep coming down the road. It finally parked in front of her supermarket.

She rang for Bisi, who came in and put two files in front of her, before she greeted her.

“The next time you do that, I will be very angry with you. The first things you do when you see someone you’re just seeing for the day is to greet,” Tonia reprimanded.

“I’m sorry ma’am. Good morning,” Bisi greeted.

“Good morning. What is new?” Tonia replied.

“The Nestle guy was here earlier and I told him to come back when he insisted he would rather see you to relay his message,” Bisi explained.

Tonia picked up the other files. “Get Mr. Sanni for me and tell Ladi to bring the stock report. Thanks, you may go,” she replied and Bisi went out.

Tonia considered one of the files for a while and then she picked up the telephone and rang Sheraton and asked for Mrs. Tambi. She sipped her coffee.

Over the telephone she said. “Mrs. Tambi? Good morning. I have made inquiries and it seems they don’t have the product you requested for,” She paused listened and then resumed with a laugh.

“No, I don’t think I can have it all by that time. That particular coffee brand is very scarce and my supplier can only bring it on Thursday ....Okay, I’ll see what I can do... Bye then.”

When she had finished she rang for Bisi and gave her a detailed instruction to make sure Sheraton had six cartons of the coffee from Texas when it arrives.

Sheraton was one of the big hotels in Abuja that mostly accommodates foreign guests. Tonia was the main supplier for their food and beverages. Bisi came back and told her that there was a woman asking for her.

“Bring her in. Tell Mr. Sanni to hurry up and Ladi to bring the stock now, I have to leave soon for the wharf,” Tonia replied and started going though the other files as she sipped.

“Mrs. Hassan?” a large woman said from the door and Tonia looked up.

“Yes. Please sit down. Can I help you?” she replied and waved the woman to a seat.

“I’m Mrs. Hassan,” the woman replied and smiled.

“Oh, that’s nice to know”, Tonia replied, still confused.

“I’m Kunle’s aunt–in–law,” the woman said and continued smiling when she saw the light in Tonia’s eyes.

“Oh my God!! I’m so happy to meet you. You were in Germany when we got married,” Tonia replied and knelt down to great her the traditional way.

“Stand up. I’m sorry I missed the wedding. Anyway, I hope you are enjoying our royal care”, the woman said, smiled and looked around. “This is a beautiful place. Anyway, I have your wedding gift in my car. You can send someone to pick it up.”

“Thank you very much. I’m really grateful to you for coming by”, Tonia replied and asked what she’d like.

“No, I’m okay. I have to run along now. I’ll come to the house one of these days. Don’t bother seeing me off. I’ll let myself out”, she said again after taking a good look around. She then went out after giving Tonia another hug.

Tonia rang for Bisi and instructed her to follow the woman to collect what she said she brought. Bisi came in later with a big box wrapped in a colorful paper. She removed the wrapper to reveal a big microwave oven. Kunle would be glad to see this, she thought and Julia won’t have to worry about getting her a bigger microwave. Good timing, she thought and smiled.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 18, 2014
Chapter Twenty Seven

Brenda sat quietly and waited for the worst. Alice was looking from one person to another. It was their usual Sunday family lunch since she got married to Sean. They now lived in Lagos and had a big surprise that would turn them into a compete lot.

“Should I do it or do want to do it?” Sean asked as he played with his wine glass. Alice looked form one person to another. Her youngest child was wriggling in her father’s laps and she also seemed uneasy.

“Come on guys. Is everything okay,” Alice asked for the second time.

“Brenda is pregnant,” Sean said. Alice sat and stared for a while. Brenda didn’t know what to make of that stare. Alice smiled but stood up and excused herself from the table. Marvin stared at the retreating back of his wife ad sighed. He shook Sean’s hand though and said congratulations to Brenda.

Brenda was not sure what to think. She knew that Alice was not entirely glad that his sister had decided to marry her in spite of her status but she had shown her support so far. Brenda suspected what her apprehension was based on. The artificial insemination they had done was not always fool proof. She knew Alice was concerned about the baby being infected with virus.

“I am sorry, Brenda. I am so happy for you. Have you talked to Simisola? Did she say the baby will be okay?” Alice said minutes later after she returned to the table. Sean pulled her sister aside and they whispered for a while. The end of the conversation brought a hug from Alice to Brenda.

“I am so…so happy. You can’t imagine how happy I really am that you are making my brother a happy dad,” Alice said finally.

“Sean is a wonderful person,” Marvin said.
They popped champagne after that and talked about baby names that would be appropriate. Alice started talking about them getting a bigger apartment. She even asked if they had decided to move to Abuja like they always thought they would. Brenda smiled and enjoyed the moment.

When they got home, Brenda breathed a sigh of relief and her heart felt lighter. She had been so worried and confused but she was determined not to let anyone know about it. She was happy that she had a family that was hers. Her new family had love and compassion for her in spite of her health status and they were not judgmental. If anything, they protected her interest anywhere. She knew the fate of every other person like herself out there and she felt lucky that she was an exception.

Sean was the most loving and caring husband anyone could wish for. He loved her with all his heart and treated her right. Brenda knew that Sean had his own fears about the unborn baby but Brenda made it her duty to relieve him of his fears. She ate right, did all that was recommended by the doctors and left every other thing to God.

She still felt as if Alice still had reservations for the positive outcome of the insemination but her fears were relieved now.

“What’s on your mind?” Sean asked when he saw the lost look on his wife’s face. Brenda shook her head and said nothing.

“I know what it is but I believe that everything will work out just fine,” Sean reassured and pulled Brenda to himself.

Brenda closed her eyes and said a silent prayer. It was strange how something good could turn worse in a twinkle of an eye. She had lived a sedentary, cautious life. Her parents were Christians and taught them the ways of holiness and moral integrity. She’d done her younger days like any ordinary girl that had her life ambition of being a medical doctor. She wanted to grow up to save the world from ailments. She wanted a world free of epidemics and parasites. Her parents believed so much in her and gave her all their support. Her only brother was her hero. He was the family’s genius who made sure his sister followed in his stead.

He, unlike Brenda chose to tackle poverty. He wanted to know how money was spent and how to make a balance between the supposedly rich and the alleged poor. Brenda smiled as she remembered some of the arguments she always had with her brother.
Her brother would always argue that poverty and wealth were the main sickness that needed to be cured. Brenda would counter that inadequate medical resources and infrastructures was the disease the country had. Their parent would always look on with pride.

But she had lost all that. She lost her parent’s love; she lost her brother’s care and understanding. Sean always encouraged her to see the silver in the dark lining, she tried but she didn't see it. She didn’t want to get Sean worried but she just couldn’t see any lining in her dark cloud soon enough. She was determined to keep all her fear bottled inside. The baby would probably be her silver lining after all. She drew closer to her husband and asked God to make their baby a miracle.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 18, 2014
Chapter Twenty Eight

A spell after, it happened.

Tomilola was shocked when she went into Anything Exclusive Mega stores and caught sight of Tonia. She hid her face and retraced her steps only to get her bag caught on the door handle and the content fell out. This caught Tonia’s attention and she hurried to help her customer who was in fact scowling under her shoulder–length wig.

“I’m so sorry, madam,” Tonia said as she helped with the scattered things. She looked into Tomilola’s eyes and froze.

“You! You this… this..!! I should call the police right now.” Tonia freaked out.

“Please, please. Stop yelling. I just heard this is the best supermarket and wanted to check it out,” Tomilola explained and looked about fervently.

“Oh yeah. Is that so? Oh you came to plant some suspicious things in my supermarket?” Tonia queried.

“What do you mean by your supermarket? You own this place?” Tomilola said and stood up, “Kunle is a fool.”

“Watch your mouth. That’s my husband you are talking about,” Tonia countered.

“Kunle is your husband. No way. You mean you married Kunle, my own Kunle,” Tomilola said, eyes blazing.

Tonia dangled her ringed finger in Tomi's face and called the security guard to hold her while she called the police. Tomi was cursing and calling her all sorts of names. The police came later and dragged her away. She succeeded in smashing a counter full of jewelries. Tonia sighed and went back to her office.

She was too tired and still shocked to find Tomi ending up in her supermarket after her long act of disappearance. It was bad timing for her to come back, at least not the time when Tonia was in a very bad mood. It’s been years since she married Kunle and their childless state was beginning to worry her.
She had been to Lagos, to Kano, Ghana all to no avail. Just the other day, she was discussing the issue with Nike who had gotten married to Andre a year after them and was already pregnant.

“I really don’t know what the problem is,” Tonia had said, “Is it me? Do you think it’s my fault? Am I cursed?”

“Of course it’s not your fault. You are not God. He alone decides when to give a child”, Nike replied and smiled at her across the dining table.

Tonia had looked up at her and wished she could take it off her mind as Nike advised. But theirs was a country where childlessness meant something horrible. The moment you show traces of not being able to have child at a stipulated time, they would start counting the months you have used in your marriage. Next is for the tongues to start wagging with stories. It’s either they say you have had a loose adolescence or had terminated a great number of pregnancies, so had damaged your womb.

Some would even call you a witch and witches don’t really have children because rumor had it that they use them as sacrifices.
She's had nightmares about it. There were night’s she’d wake up sweaty and scared. There was one particular dream that her mother–in–law called her a witch, threw her things out of the house and threatened to set them on fire. It was when she was pouring fuel on her scattered clothes that Tonia woke up. She did not realize how much her unhappiness and fear were mirrored in her features until Kunle mentioned it.

“You really have to put this child issue out of your mind. Are you God?” Kunle had asked angrily and stalked out of the room. She could have told him about the dream but she just decided not to. He would probably just shrug and tell her that she worries too much over nothing.

Desperate in her desire to try to forget her state and make the best out of her life as it was, Tonia threw herself into her business. Subconsciously, she started to get envious and somehow jealous of Nike each time she visited with her bulging tummy. Tonia didn’t know why she should let it affect her but it did and this made them drift apart which Julia and Lola tried to correct. Julia had been in the same state but she didn’t let it bother her, Tonia wished she could be like her. She always wondered where Julia got her wit and strength from.

Lola especially had been angry the first time Tonia made a statement about Nike and her pregnancy. Nike had eventually become closest pal to her out of all of them just like Julia had been to Tonia. She had been the one helping her since she got deported from Spain so she was always on Nike’s side anytime there was an argument. Tonia sighed heavily and wished God would answer her prayer soon. She hated it when she behaved abnormally to Nike. She decided to make amends.

Kunle traveled often and it was one of such night without him that a tired and tensed Tonia returned home after a long day at work to an unpleasant surprise.

She had had no serious stress at the supermarket but the activity at the port had stressed her out. All she wanted then was to relax within her home and plan forwards the following day. It was a chilly night and she drove into the compound but stepped quickly on the break when she saw the shadow of someone at the entrance to the house. The shadowy figure moved into the brightness of the porch light to reveal Kunle’s mother with a scowl on her face.

Tonia’s heart skipped a beat. What now, she thought. She parked the car carefully and came out to greet the older woman who was moving towards her already, scowl deeper now.

“I don’t know that I have to get locked out of my son’s house because his wife decided to switch her phone off,” Mrs. Hassan said with her arms akimbo, and a much deeper scowl.

“Good evening ma,” Tonia greeted and made to kneel in the usual customary greeting.

“Please don’t do that. It will not work. Whatever it is they gave you to kneel on will not work for you, you this barren piece of wood”, Mrs. Hassan replied, and spat in front of Tonia.

“Please mummy I beg you. It’s very late and I am tired. Kunle has traveled and I didn’t even know my phone was off,” Tonia explained, “I didn’t know you were coming.”

“Oh really. That’s it then? I have to write a letter and ask for permission before I can come to my son’s house,” Mrs. Hassan accused loudly and moved closer to Tonia.

"Please, let me just open up."

“You are a very useless girl. I thought you would be different from that other pig actress but she seems better than you are. At least she had a pregnancy before they aborted it but for you, not even a miscarriage,” She finally said and made for the door.

Tonia had gotten used to living with this other side of Mrs. Hassan. This one is wicked. Tonia was shocked when it first happened.

So, Tomilola actually got pregnant for Kunle. He should have told me, she thought angrily. She sighed instead and went after Mrs. Hassan, she unlocked the door and Mrs. Hassan pushed her out of the way to get into the house first.

“Don’t just stand there like a robot. Put on the light,” the older woman said in the darkness.

“Someone would have thought you knew where the switch was by the way you rushed in,” Tonia retorted under her breath.

“What? What was that you said?” Mrs. Hassan asked, “Put this light on right now.”

Tonia went to the switch and the sitting room was alight. How she wished she could be as foxy as Julia right now. She wondered what Julia would have done if it were to be her in this kind of situation. Mrs. Hassan cleared her throat and Tonia sighed. She was too tired to cook but Mrs. Hassan would make things hard if she didn’t at least suggest it.

She asked for what she would like to eat. Mrs. Hassan hissed and ignored her, she was going through all the furniture’s, touching things for dust, hissing and talking to herself.

“Should I steam some rice or would you rather eat something else,” Tonia asked impatiently.

“Me? Eat your food? Who knows what you will put inside? I may not be accustomed to your life in this country that much but I have heard stories of what witches can do in this country. You can’t even keep the house clean. There is dust everywhere,” Mrs. Hassan ranted on and on.

Tonia ignored her and went up into their bedroom. She was hurt and wanted to cry but she was determined not to give the woman the privilege of seeing her cry. She sat on the bed and the tears began to gather, but she strongly fought it.

“Oh God why? Why must it be me?” She thought dejectedly. She dialed Julia’s number and explained everything to her. Julia was furious that she was just standing there doing nothing.

Tonia asked what she should have done. She was her mother-in-law after all. She heard footstep and told Julia she would call her back. She got up and started to UnCloth when the door burst open. Mrs. Hassan walked in without any offer of apology. She took her graceful steps into the room, looked at Tonia from head to toes, she scowled.

“I’m sleeping in my son’s room,” She declared and sat on the bed.

“What? Kunle doesn’t have a room to himself. We use this same room. I’m sorry but you have to use the guest room,” Tonia said as her phone began to ring.

“Sweetheart, how are you? I’m.....” Mrs. Hassan snatched the phone and started to complain to Kunle at the other end. Tonia shook her head and sat down as she listened to the one–sided argument. Mrs. Hassan tossed the phone on the bed, hissed at Tonia.

She then cat walked out of the room. It was all so unlike her. Tonia knew it was the other Mrs. Hassan’s handiwork. It was like the woman was jealous of her. Tonia took the phone.

“Hey honey. Are you still there?” she asked.

“Jesus Christ, I’m so sorry. She didn’t tell me she would be coming over. Please what ever she does just ignore her. Please darling,” Kunle begged at the other end.

‘I can’t take this anymore, Kunle. Your mum called me a witch, where does she get all these from?” Tonia said and began to cry, “I really don’t know how much of it I can take. She seemed nice when we started.”

“It’s that woman that called herself my aunt-in-law that is feeding her all those rubbish. I am so sorry,” Kunle said.

Minutes later after their conversation, Tonia called Julia back. Julia advised her not to allow the woman rule her home. Tonia thanked her and they said good night. She finished undressing and went down to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. She found Mrs. Hassan in the kitchen; she was at the sink with the pot of soup in her hand. She was taking pieces of meat from the pot; she would examine each one before putting the big ones in a small bowl. When she was done, she placed the pot back on the oven and went out with the small bowl in her hands.

“Do you even eat steak where you come from,” she said to Tonia as she walked out.

Tonia went to the pot and opened it. There were few pieces of meat remaining in the pot. The soup she cooked just the day before with her money. What is wrong with this woman? She decided not to give her the benefit of annoying her, so she just prepared her tea and sat at the kitchen table to drink it.

It would soon be over, she thought. She will get tired of trying to frustrate her and leave her to enjoy her marriage.

She finished her tea. Mrs. Hassan was in front of the television, her legs on the centre table.
Tonia frowned, she wanted to tell her to put her legs down but she thought better of it. She said goodnight and went up to her room to sleep. The sleep she desperately wished for because she knew it was going to be a very dramatic morning to wake up to. The noise from the television rose an inch higher, Tonia shook her head and yawned.

Julia was at Tonia’s house as early as she could make it. She hadn’t informed Tonia because she knew she would have stopped her from coming over. When Tonia had called her the day before, she had felt irritated by Tonia’s timidity. It was okay to be gentle and quiet but it should not be every time. No one dares treat her like that even if she was her mother-in-law. So what if she hadn’t gotten a child for her son. Since when did that become a problem? She knew Tonia would not defend herself so she decided to do it for her.

She pressed the doorbell and waited. She heard hisses and dragging of feet inside and soon the door was opened. Mrs. Hassan stood there with a smile on her face.

“Hello. How may I help you?” Mrs. Hassan asked as she continued smiling. Julia noticed the innocent, gentle smile. Well, the devil does wear Prada, she thought. She felt like brushing the smug smile off her face but she smiled back and asked to see Tonia, the woman of the house. Mrs. Hassan’s smile faltered then disappeared then she stepped back and made to close the door in Julia’s face. That did it. Julia pushed back the door and the woman with it.

“What is the meaning of this?” Mrs. Hassan said as she steadied herself.

“I am sorry ma but I do not take rude actions pretty well. Did I hurt you? I am sure I didn’t,” Julia replied with a stony stare and a leering smile. You just messed with the wrong woman, Julia thought.

“That is absolute rubbish. What insolence? No wonder that one that calls herself my son’s wife is the way she is,” Mrs. Hassan said and walked away. Julia made to reply but Tonia came down and stopped her just in time before she could say something she’d be the one to be blamed for.

“Julia what are you doing here? Take it easy, mummy please do not insult my friend I do not like it,” Tonia said. Mrs. Hassan hissed and brushed against her as she walked past her. Her graceful footstep was not flustered.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?” Tonia queried when the other woman was gone.

“Why should I tell you when I know you will tell me not to come? Tonia you are too gentle, this is your husband’s house for God’s sake,” Julia started.

“I know but please let me deal with it my own way,” Tonia replied as she led Julia to the kitchen. Julia hissed and kept staring angrily at Tonia.

Tonia knew what Julia’s intent was but she also knew she would not be able to handle the after-math so Julia would have to calm down. She made coffee and offered Julia a cup which she declined.

“Don’t be so angry. I am expecting Nike here today. It has been a while and I have not seen her or Lola,” Tonia said as she sipped her coffee. Mrs. Hassan entered and grabbed the coffee pot and went out with it. Julia looked at Tonia then at the retreating Mrs. Hassan. Tonia shook her head in caution and sighed.

“I can not just believe this. How long are you going to let this happen? You know me, you know I don’t have the patience for such attitude,” Julia commented angrily. "I have to tell the others about this when I see them.”

“These are spoilt, disrespectful children. I do not think that one has a mother at home,” Mrs. Hassan said loudly from the sitting room. Julia stormed out of the kitchen and Tonia followed.

“Was that directed to me? Mrs. Hassan, please don’t talk to me like I am a child. I am a grown, married woman and I will not take any rude remarks from you. I am not Tonia and believe me I do not have that kind of patience in me. If you insult me again, I will disrespect you so much that you will not step in this house again,” Julia threatened.

“Why don’t you just go ahead and do that? That will be very interesting to see and it will be more interesting if I am to narrate it to my son,” the older woman dared.

“Julia, please stop. I am sure she didn’t mean to insult you. She is my mother-in-law. Please stop. I don’t like it,” Tonia queried as she pulled at Julia’s bag.

Julia turned to look at Tonia and hissed. She snatched her bag from Tonia’s hand and stormed out of the house. By the time she got outside, she was boiling with rage. She decided to come back later and talk sense into Tonia.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Addicted To Romance Novels? / Extreme Encounter / Publiseer Is A Finalist At The 2018 Harvard Business School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.