Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – (653 Views)

Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? / FIFA Releases World Cup Golden Ball Nominees / Mikel Does Not Deserve Nigeria No. 10 Jersey - Etim Esin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by chagga(m): 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
Messi, did not deserve the Golden Ball award he received, after the 2014 World Cup ended on Sunday.

FIFA announced the Argentina forward, ahead of Thomas Muller, Arjen Robben and James Rodriguez, as winner of the prestigious individual award.

Messi scored four times in seven matches, but Maradona says it is not enough and he won it for commercial reasons.

“Messi? I would give him heaven if possible,” Maradona said during his show on Telesur.

“But it’s not right when someone wins something that he shouldn’t have won just because of some marketing plan.”

Maradona could not also hide his disappointment, after his country were beaten 1-0 in the final played at the Maracana, thanks to Mario Gotze’s goal.

“I feel sorry for my country. Mario Gotze’s goal really hurt. There’s a huge sadness in my heart that we lost the final.

“All things put together, I think Argentina deserved at least penalties. That Germany won was the result of a misunderstanding in the Argentine defence.”

The 1986 World Cup winner, also criticized Alejandro Sabella’s decision to sub off Ezequiel Lavezzi for Sergio Aguero at half-time.

He said: “I don’t understand the substitution of Lavezzi. He was phenomenal down the wing. Kun Aguero didn’t have the same impact. It was not his tournament.”http://www.ynaija.com/brazil-2014-messi-did-not-deserve-to-win-the-golden-ball-award-maradona/
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Chanchit: 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2014
Maradona should just shut up already. He can start giving out his own awards, players would be happy to recieve it from him. After all his ranting, he forgot to say who should have won it.
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by elguaje(m): 8:43pm On Jul 14, 2014
And to what importance is maradona's opinion, pls holla me whenever u & maradona have a reasonable stat to back it up. undecided
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Burger01(m): 8:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
True talk Maradona. The reason Messi got the golden ball is best known to FIFA, probably for commercial purpose as stated. Muller better Messi for this world cup. Germany played as a team. Messi dey just too personal. Na only him go play corner, free kicks and dey dribble. To me that was Argentina undoing undecided

1 Like

Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Nomski0(f): 8:45pm On Jul 14, 2014

Whoa?!

I thought all Argentines worshipped Messi. shocked

1 Like

Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Burger01(m): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Danhumprey: 9:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
Nomski0:

Whoa?!

I thought all Argentines worshipped Messi. shocked
gringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by BodyKiss(m): 10:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
Chanchit: Maradona should just shut up already. He can start giving out his own awards, players would be happy to recieve it from him. After all his ranting, he forgot to say who should have won it.

You should shut up. He's being honest and at the same time acknowledging Mess's performance.
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Chanchit: 10:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
BodyKiss:

You should shut up. He's being honestly and at the same time acknowledging Mess's performance.

When you cry finish, you go follow Maradona go collect the award from Messi...
Re: Maradona: “messi Did Not Deserve To Win The Golden Ball Award” – by Dannylux: 10:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
FIFA reeks of undiluted corruption.
Sentiments aside, everyone including Messi himself knows he never merited that honour, nonetheless, he got it. Poor Thomas Muller.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Messi Wanted Premier League Move / What Is Your Favorite Match Of All Time. / Opinion:government Should Evaluate Sport Activities Sponsorships By Private Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.