Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,907 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup (2468 Views)

Little Boy Refused To Stand Before An African Player At A Fooball Match In Italy / After Mourinho’s Sack, Mikel Obi, The 'Consistent' One #Mikel Trends On Twitter / Who Was Nigeria's Best Player At The AWC (Namibia 2014)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by franzis(m): 9:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
The world cup has come and gone ,and I followed 90 percent of the games with keen interest,judging from the performance of all no 10 player @ the world cup, I think mikel was the worst of them all.. No hating on the dude..just my own opinion as a passionate football fan
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Smartsyn(m): 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
I ka n'ajuju aju...
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by morhsuud22(m): 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blame the man that couldn't unearth a true 10 out of over 170 million Nigerians not the snail
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 10:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
For the umpteenth time, Mikel NEVER played number 10 at the world cup. Just because he wears number 10 doesn't make him a number 10. Against Iran it was azeez, against Bosnia and Argentina it was babatunde and against France it was Moses. Mikel played central midfield, he was supposed to be the holding midfielder while onazi plays box to box but he was just strolling on the park.

2 Likes

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 9:04am On Jul 15, 2014
abatically: For the umpteenth time, Mikel NEVER played number 10 at the world cup. Just because he wears number 10 doesn't make him a number 10. Against Iran it was azeez, against Bosnia and Argentina it was babatunde and against France it was Moses. Mikel played central midfield, he was supposed to be the holding midfielder while onazi plays box to box but he was just strolling on the park.

Now I know that u dnt understand football.

3 Likes

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 10:05am On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

You are the novice about the round leather ball game,he gave a simple analysis and he yes,he's damn right.

3 Likes

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

Pls don't make me laugh, u that understand football. So because Mikel wears no 10 that means he plays no 10 for Nigeria? Let me guess, zidane also played no 5 for real Madrid and gallas played no 10 for arsenal.

2 Likes

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Davidolives(m): 10:18am On Jul 15, 2014
who is this people are talking about transfers and thier respective clubs you are talking about a mikel and a past world cup undecided undecided undecided
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 10:32am On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

Below is Nigeria's line up and formation against Bosnia. Tell me does it look like Mikel is playing no 10 to u? watch and learn.

1 Like

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Davidolives(m): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2014
abatically:

Below is Nigeria's line up and formation against Bosnia. Tell me does it look like Mikel is playing no 10 to u? watch and learn.
help me ask him ooooo
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
abatically:

Pls don't make me laugh, u that understand football. So because Mikel wears no 10 that means he plays no 10 for Nigeria? Let me guess, zidane also played no 5 for real Madrid and gallas played no 10 for arsenal.

Look, traditionally Mikel has been playing the central mid field role which is popularly called no 10.
Now, it depends on d nature of the opposition and d formation d coach wants to play.
In a typical 4-4-2 formation eg against Argentina Mikel was made to play d central midfield or no10 role. In a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formation like against Iran We started d game with 2 blocking 4 ie Onazi and Mikel while Azeez played 10.
Against Bosnia where we also played 2 blocking 4 Mikel and Onazi played dat position with Babatunde in front of them (10 position).
Against France u said Moses playefd 10, how? So because Moses replaced injured Babatunde who played 10 against Bosnia u now blive it was a like for like switch? Against France, Moses and Musa both played as wing forwards in that 4-4-2 Formation with Osaze playing what we call 8 or supporting Striker. The other 2 midfielders in dat formation were Onazi who played 4 and MIKEL WHO PLAYED 10!.
Depending on d Formation Keshi adopted Mikel played either 4 or his traditional 10.

MIKEL IS OUR TRADITIONAL 10 IN THE PRESENT SUPER EAGLES.

1 Like

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
abatically: For the umpteenth time, Mikel NEVER played number 10 at the world cup. Just because he wears number 10 doesn't make him a number 10. Against Iran it was azeez, against Bosnia and Argentina it was babatunde and against France it was Moses. Mikel played central midfield, he was supposed to be the holding midfielder while onazi plays box to box but he was just strolling on the park.
Moses played 10 against France? grin
Haba, u sabi wetin u dey talk so?

@ Syenite good analysis.

1 Like

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: You are the novice about the round leather ball game,he gave a simple analysis and he yes,he's damn right.

Ok I am d novice. Mr expert pls give us ur own analysis. angry
Na to dey say yes u sabi. Oyes member. angry
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 1:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

Ok I am d novice. Mr expert pls give us ur own analysis. angry
Na to dey say yes u sabi. Oyes member. angry
na don't have your time.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 2:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: na don't have your time.
U dnt have my time and u had to call me a novice. I no blame u. I ought to have checked ur profile first before initially responding to u. JJC.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:
U dnt have my time and u had to call me a novice. I no blame u. I ought to have checked ur profile first before initially responding to u. JJC.
Find someone else guy,no get your time.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: Find someone else guy,no get your time.

Get away!! Foool.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

Get away!! Foool.
Your display right here is what I call Frustration, I know how you feel boi,God help you but first GET A LIFE.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Syenite(m): 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: Your display right here is what I call Frustration, I know how you feel boi,God help you but first GET A LIFE.
Frustration? Hahaha. grin
U dnt know me. If u don't know how to analyse football just get out of the sports section. angry
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 2:43pm On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:
Frustration? Hahaha. grin
U dnt know me. If u don't know how to analyse football just get out of the sports section. angry
I don't wanna know you but I know people that know how to analyse football,naija noni,chelseabmw,thegoodhuntjoe and safarigirl,bye

1 Like

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 4:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
Icon4s:
Moses played 10 against France? grin
Haba, u sabi wetin u dey talk so?

@ Syenite good analysis.

Yes Moses started as a no 10 against France, he later switched with Odemwingie when he didn't get much of the ball in the hole.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
Syenite:

Look, traditionally Mikel has been playing the central mid field role which is popularly called no 10.
Now, it depends on d nature of the opposition and d formation d coach wants to play.
In a typical 4-4-2 formation eg against Argentina Mikel was made to play d central midfield or no10 role. In a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formation like against Iran We started d game with 2 blocking 4 ie Onazi and Mikel while Azeez played 10.
Against Bosnia where we also played 2 blocking 4 Mikel and Onazi played dat position with Babatunde in front of them (10 position).
Against France u said Moses playefd 10, how? So because Moses replaced injured Babatunde who played 10 against Bosnia u now blive it was a like for like switch? Against France, Moses and Musa both played as wing forwards in that 4-4-2 Formation with Osaze playing what we call 8 or supporting Striker. The other 2 midfielders in dat formation were Onazi who played 4 and MIKEL WHO PLAYED 10!.
Depending on d Formation Keshi adopted Mikel played either 4 or his traditional 10.

Mikel didn't play no 10 at the world cup. In fact the last time Mikel played as a no 10 was against Burkinafaso in the first match of AFCON 2013, he also played as no 10 briefly against Zambia. Both games ended in a draw, since them Keshi returned Mikel to central/holding midfield role.

To understand this topic, first we need to understand the meaning of a no 10. A number 10 is a team's playmaker, he is the player that plays in the hole behind the main striker. Now this can be very confusing depending on the formation. Some no 10 even start from the wings and move to the middle when they get the ball, this is different from a traditional winger that runs down the wing to cross. Again it depends on the tactics. A number 10 normally plays in front of 2 central/defensive/holding midfielders who cover for him.

Not all formations require a number 10. A 4-4-2 formation traditionally does not require a no 10. 4-4-2 formation relies on the wingers to feed the 2 strikers.. that is the formation manchester United are used to playing and that is the main reason kagawa couldn't fit in. You need to have 2 Central /defensive midfielders and Kagawa can't play there. kagawa is a natural no 10 and for him to flourish, a team, has to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-2-1 . To play a no 10 in 4-4-2 formation then the no 10 would have to play from either of the flanks and drift to the middle when he gets the ball.. not very practical unless the player is multi talented. This is what Valbuena did against Nigeria. A very good example is in the formation below.

Mkhitaryan is the no 10 playing behind sturridge while Gerrard and Lucas are the central midfielders ( similar to Onazi and Mikel). Lucas is defensive midfielder while Gerrard has freedom to move a little forward. A number 10 is a player that dictates the game and connects the midfield with attack. Unfortunately we do not have such player in Nigeria.

Against France, Moses played in front of Mikel and Onazi and that made him the no 10 as shown the the picture below.

So how would u tell me that Mikel played a no 10 in this formation when he is not the one sitting in the hole?

1 Like

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 4:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
abatically:

Mikel didn't play no 10 at the world cup. In fact the last time Mikel played as a no 10 was against Burkinafaso in the first match of AFCON 2013, he also played as no 10 briefly against Zambia. Both games ended in a draw, since them Keshi returned Mikel to central/holding midfield role.

To understand this topic, first we need to understand the meaning of a no 10. A number 10 is a team's playmaker, he is the player that plays in the hole behind the main striker. Now this can be very confusing depending on the formation. Some no 10 even start from the wings and move to the middle when they get the ball, this is different from a traditional winger that runs down the wing to cross. Again it depends on the tactics. A number 10 normally plays in front of 2 central/defensive/holding midfielders who cover for him.

Not all formations require a number 10. A 4-4-2 formation traditionally does not require a no 10. 4-4-2 formation relies on the wingers to feed the 2 strikers.. that is the formation manchester United are used to playing and that is the main reason kagawa couldn't fit in. You need to have 2 Central /defensive midfielders and Kagawa can't play there. kagawa is a natural no 10 and for him to flourish, a team, has to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-2-1 . To play a no 10 in 4-4-2 formation then the no 10 would have to play from either of the flanks and drift to the middle when he gets the ball.. not very practical unless the player is multi talented. This is what Valbuena did against Nigeria. A very good example is in the formation below.

Mkhitaryan is the no 10 playing behind sturridge while Gerrard and Lucas are the central midfielders ( similar to Onazi and Mikel). Lucas is defensive midfielder while Gerrard has freedom to move a little forward. A number 10 is a player that dictates the game and connects the midfield with attack. Unfortunately we do not have such player in Nigeria.

Against France, Moses played in front of Mikel and Onazi and that made him the no 10 as shown the the picture below.

So how would u tell me that Mikel played a no 10 in this formation when he is not the one sitting in the hole?
kudos to you bro,you are now one of the few people I respect on here.To add to your beautiful analysis, people need to know football has changed.The role of number 10 is not like What is it in the era of okocha,zidane,scholes ,mbami,del piero etc
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by abatically(m): 5:12pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: kudos to you bro,you are now one of the few people I respect on here.To add to your beautiful analysis, people need to know football has changed.The role of number 10 is not like What is it in the era of okocha,zidane,scholes ,mbami,del piero etc

Thanks bro. Yes people need to understand that football has changed. I can't believe in modern era people are still looking for a no 4, no 8, etc. Most formation now does not require a number 4 , jeez even wingers swap wings so u can't say someone is playing no 7 or no 11. That is why a good football analyst would not tell u someone is playing no 4, he would rather say CM or CDM, no 10 is called CAM, no 7 and eleven are simply called wingers or forwards depending on the formation.
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
abatically:

Thanks bro. Yes people need to understand that football has changed. I can't believe in modern era people are still looking for a no 4, no 8, etc. Most formation now does not require a number 4 , jeez even wingers swap wings so u can't say someone is playing no 7 or no 11. That is why a good football analyst would not tell u someone is playing no 4, he would rather say CM or CDM, no 10 is called CAM, no 7 and eleven are simply called wingers or forwards depending on the formation.
yes bro,a cam must be attacked minded and ready to join the attack.Mikel plays a cm because he can help an attack with passes and can easily move backward to defend .
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by chelseabmw(m): 8:14pm On Jul 15, 2014
striker9: I don't wanna know you but I know people that know how to analyse football,naija noni,chelseabmw,thegoodhuntjoe and safarigirl,bye

Bros who dey vex u here? cheesy
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by striker9(m): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
chelseabmw:

Bros who dey vex u here? cheesy
Haha nobody my bro,just a lil misunderstanding. thanks
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by elektra80: 6:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
Syenite:

You really must be stuck with football of stone age. Really? no 8, no 4 lol. The modern game has advanced and squad numbers don't really matter. But if u must use squad numbers... I will tell u that Mikel did not play no 10 for Nigeria at the world cup. Mikel play central midfield alongside Onazi in all our 4 matches.

So u think central midfield is no 10? ha ha, u really are funny. Can u name me a few no 10 that u know? For chelsea Oscar plays no 10 and he plays in the hole behind the striker while Matic and ramirez/lampard plays central midfield. So why didn't u say Lampard also plays 10 for chelsea since he plays central midfield. For Germany and Arsenal, Ozil plays number 10 behind the striker with central midfield pairing of Scweinsteigger and Khedira. So why didn't u say Sweinsteigger plays 10 for Germany since he plays in Central Midfield.

In a traditional 4-4-2, a no 10 is not normally required because there are 2 number 9. Number 8 is the one that plays alongside no 4 in central midfield (really the numbers don't even matter these days, I'm just using it to illustrate since u care about squad numbers). A number 10 is the attacking midfielder which Mikel did not play for Nigeria at the world cup. Against Iran it was Azeez, against Bosnia and Argentina it was Babatunde and against France it was Moses (yes Moses). Below is a traditional modern 4-4-2 formation, if u must call someone no 10 then he will be the second striker, not central midfielder.

As u can see, 4 and 8 are in central midfield. If u must give Mikel a squad number for Nigeria then what he played was no 4 and not no 10.

2 Likes

Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by tobiboss(m): 3:09am On Jul 17, 2014
Yes he was the worst player wearing a no. 10 shirt
#biggerthanlife
Re: Was Mikel Obi The Worst No 10 Player At The World Cup by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2018
In 2018, he is repeating same.

(1) (Reply)

Live Blog - 20th Commonwealth Games – Athletics Competition Glasgow 2014 / Watch WWE TLC 2015 12/13/2015 Online Full Show 13th December 2015 / When Will An African City Host The Olympic Games? . . . Never?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.