Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

My Car Overheat When Ac Is On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Overheat When Ac Is On (6001 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / Radiator Fan Only Works When AC Is Switched On / Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by Oboy1: 8:49am On Jul 15, 2014
My Car is Honda Accord 97 model (Acedemy), it overheat any time the AC is on. Mechs are advising i change the single cell radiator to double cell to stop it.
i need your candid advise.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by erico2k2(m): 8:54am On Jul 15, 2014
Oboy1: My Car is Honda Accord 97 model (Acedemy), it overheat any time the AC is on. Mechs are advising i change the single cell radiator to double cell to stop it.
i need your candid advise.
Did you remove the thermostat?
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by autofixng: 11:34am On Jul 15, 2014
1. Is your fan run direct?
2. What is the condition of your radiator?
These 2 questions may proffer solution to your overheating problem when you on your ac. Changing your radiator to double cell radiator may actually solve the problem temporarily but create another problem which the effect is not immediately noticed "under cooling" which causes building of sludge in the engine as a result of fuel not burning due to engine running below recommended temperature.

Check if your car Ac fan is working and the your radiator is not clogged up with dirt along side with the condenser.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by labodeolu(m): 11:02am On Jul 16, 2014
I am facing something similar with mine. I had the thermostat removed.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by autofixng: 11:29am On Jul 16, 2014
autofixng: 1. Is your fan run direct?
These 2 questions may proffer solution to your overheating problem when you on your ac. Changing your radiator to double cell radiator may actually solve the problem temporarily but create another problem which the effect is not immediately noticed "under cooling" which causes building of sludge in the engine as a result of fuel not burning due to engine running below recommended temperature.
Check if your car Ac fan is working and the your radiator is not clogged up with dirt along side with the condenser.
labodeolu: I am facing something similar with mine. I had the thermostat removed.
The questions raised in the upper quote will help you more rather than focusing on the removed thermostat.
The work of the thermostat is to allow the engine to attain its optimum temperature within the shortest possible time in the morning when the engine is cold.
Then it remain open throughout the working period of the engine unless the engine is cold that is when it will close.
The effect of the thermostat removal has not yet manifested until you have enough sludge build up in the system.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by Oboy1: 11:51am On Jul 16, 2014
autofixng: 1. Is your fan run direct?

Yes the fan is direct, but for the condition of the radiator, that i will confirm.
thanks all the same
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by autofixng: 3:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
Oboy1:
Yes the fan is direct, but for the condition of the radiator, that i will confirm.
thanks all the same
The fan working direct might not work at the speed it suppose when the Ac is on or it might be weak due to overwork as a result of constant running.
You also need to take a very good look at the radiator and the a/c condenser if they have not clogged up with dirts. Flush it if it is dirty.
Again on the radiator,it might be clogged up with dirts internally, so best advice is to flush in and out and see if it works if not change the radiator.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
Leave your thermostat alone, it was placed there by engineers who know far too much about engineering than the shade tree characters in Nigeria. It serves an important purpose.

As far as your cooling issue. Think of the cooling system as a system and not individual parts.

Do you have the correct coolant type in the radiator?
Are you loosing coolant?
Are you belts in good condition and not slipping?
Is your water pump seeping at the weep hole? (If external pump).
Is your secondary fan coming on when the compressor is activated?
Is it running at the correct speed (compare to another car).

Do you have a Honda Accord Service Manual? Get one.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by DECOtech(m): 11:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
labodeolu: I am facing something similar with mine. I had the thermostat removed.
Pls put back your thermostat and check your radiator, condenser and AC fan condition.
Re: My Car Overheat When Ac Is On by Armour: 9:48pm On Aug 05, 2014
Go and team watch your radiator in and out and airconditioner condesa. That's what I told my friend whose Mechanic was already waiting to collect 18k for purchase of double cell radiator. This singular act stopped the overheating anytime the ac is on. try this first , then let's see the result

(1) (Reply)

Please How Much It Will Cost To Repair This Car? / Fat Tyre And Thine Tyre.what Are Their Advantages / Manual Drives Vs Automatic Drives In Cars: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.