Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,776 members, 7,806,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Migraines & Headaches Guide - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Migraines & Headaches Guide (642 Views)

Battle Of The Menstrual Migraines / I Need Help From Serious Migraines / Do You Know That Migraines Can Cause Permanent Brain Damage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Migraines & Headaches Guide by kandeyc(m): 9:56am On Jul 15, 2014
Prevent migraines and headaches by managing stress

Everyone experiences stress. Our bodies are designed to feel stress and react to it. It keeps us alert and ready to avoid danger. However when stress persists the body begins to break down and illnesses such as headaches can occur. The key to coping with stress is identifying stressors in your life, learning ways to reduce stress and managing stress.

Headaches, migraines and stress

Emotional stress is one of the most common triggers of migraines and tension headaches ( stress headaches). Migraine sufferers are generally found to be more emotional and highly affected by stressful events. During stressful events certain chemicals in the brain are released to combat the situation (known as the ‘fight or flight’ response). The release of these chemicals can provoke blood vessel changes that can cause migraine headaches.

Stress is also an important factor in tension headaches. Tension headaches can either be episodic or chronic. Episodic tension headache is usually triggered by an isolated stressful situation or a build-up of stress; it can usually be treated by over-the-counter painkillers. Daily stress such as from a high-pressure job can lead to chronic tension headaches. Treatment for chronic tension headaches usually involves stress management, counselling, and possibly the use of antidepressant or anxiety reducing medication.

What is stress?

Stress is your reaction to any change that requires you to adjust or respond. It's important to remember that you can control stress, because stress comes from how you respond to stressful events.

What causes stress?

Stress can be caused by anything that requires you to adjust to a change in your environment. Your body reacts to these changes with physical, mental and emotional responses. We all have our own ways of coping with change, so the causes of stress can be different for each person.

Common causes of stress include:

Death of a loved one
Crowds
Heavy traffic
Confrontations
Marriage
Pregnancy
Deadlines
Legal problems
Job loss
Moving
Accidents
Divorce
New job
Retirement
Money problems
Illnesses

When you are not sure of the exact cause of your stress, it may help to know the warning signs of stress. Once you can identify these signs, you can learn how your body responds to stress. Then you can take steps to reduce it.

What are the warning signs of stress?

Your body sends out physical, emotional and behavioural warning signs of stress.

Emotional warning signs of stress include:

Anger
Inability to concentrate
Unproductive worry
Sadness
Frequent mood swings

Physical warning signs of stress include:

Stooped posture
Sweaty palms
Chronic fatigue
Weight gain or loss

Behavioural warning signs of stress include:

Over-reacting
Acting on impulse
Using alcohol or drugs
Withdrawing from relationships
Changing jobs often

How can I cope with stress?

Lower your expectations; accept that there are events you cannot control.
Ask others to help or assist you.
Take responsibility for the situation.
Engage in problem solving.
Express distressing emotions. Be assertive instead of aggressive. "Assert" your feelings, opinions or beliefs instead of becoming angry, combative or passive.
Maintain emotionally supportive relationships.
Maintain emotional composure.
Challenge previously held beliefs that are no longer adaptive.
Directly attempt to change the source of stress.
Distance yourself from the source of stress.
Learn to relax.
Eat and drink sensibly.
Stop smoking or other bad habits.
Exercise regularly.
Maintain a healthy sense of self-esteem.

Experts agree that coping is a process rather than an event. So an individual may alternate between several of the above coping strategies in order to cope with a stressful event.

When should I seek help for managing stress?

You should seek help in dealing with your stress when you experience any of the following:

Marked decline in work/school performance
Excess anxiety
Alcohol or drug abuse
Inability to cope with demands of daily life
Irrational fears
Obsessive preoccupation with food and fear of becoming obese with no relationship to actual body weight
Significant change in sleeping or eating habits
Persistent physical ailments and complaints
Suicidal thoughts or urges to hurt others
Self-mutilation, self-destructive or dangerous behaviour
Sustained withdrawn mood or behaviour

Where do I go to get help managing stress?

Your doctor: he or she can determine if your stress is due to an anxiety disorder, a medical condition or both and can refer you to a mental health professional, if necessary.

Relaxation techniques for migraines and headaches

Consider these questions on migraines and headaches before visiting your doctor:

What relaxation techniques can I use to help my headaches?

To relax and cope with migraines and headaches, you need to first become familiar with your own breathing patterns and then change them in ways that will help you to relax. Your breathing pattern is often disrupted by changes in emotion. People who are anxious tend to hold their breath and speak in a high-pitched voice as they exhale. While people who are depressed tend to sigh and speak in a low-pitched voice as they exhale.

Below are a few relaxation exercises. First, make sure you are in a quiet place that is free of distractions, that your body position is comfortable, and that you are in a good state of mind. Try to block out worries and distracting thoughts:

Rhythmic breathing: If your breathing is short and hurried, slow it down by taking long, slow breaths. Inhale slowly then exhale slowly. Count slowly to five as you inhale, and then count slowly to five as you exhale. As you exhale slowly, pay attention to how your body naturally relaxes. Recognising this change will help you to relax even more.
Deep breathing: Imagine a spot just below your navel. Breathe into that spot, filling your abdomen with air. Let the air fill you from the abdomen up, then let it out, like deflating a balloon. With every long, slow exhalation, you should feel more relaxed.
Visualised breathing: Find a comfortable place where you can close your eyes and combine slowed breathing with your imagination. Picture relaxation entering your body and tension leaving your body. Breathe deeply, but in a natural rhythm. Visualise your breath coming into your nostrils, going into your lungs and expanding your chest and abdomen. Then, visualise your breath going out the same way. Continue breathing, but each time you inhale, imagine that you are breathing in more relaxation. Each time you exhale imagine that you are getting rid of a little more tension.
Progressive muscle relaxation: Switch your thoughts to yourself and your breathing. Take a few deep breaths, exhaling slowly. Mentally scan your body. Notice your headache, if you have one, and other areas that feel tense or cramped. Quickly loosen up these areas. Let go of as much tension as you can. Rotate your head in a smooth, circular motion once or twice - if it hurts, stop. Roll your shoulders forward and backward several times. Let all of your muscles completely relax. Recall a pleasant thought for a few seconds. Take another deep breath and exhale slowly. You should feel relaxed.
Relax to music: Combine relaxation exercises with your favourite music in the background. Select the type of music that lifts your mood or that you find soothing or calming. Some people find it easier to relax while listening to special relaxation tapes, which provide music and relaxation instructions.
Mental imagery relaxation: Mental imagery relaxation, or guided imagery, is a proven form of focused relaxation that helps create harmony between the mind and body. Guided imagery teaches you how to create calm, peaceful images in your mind - a "mental escape". Identify what you are saying to yourself about what is going on with your migraines or headaches. It is important to identify negative thoughts and develop healthy, positive thoughts. By saying positive things to yourself, you can counteract negative thoughts and emotions. Here are some positive statements you can say to yourself:

I must let go of things I cannot control.
I am healthy, vital and strong.
There is nothing in the world I cannot handle.
All my needs are met.
I am completely and utterly safe.
Every day in every way I am getting stronger.

For More Health Advise and Treatments, Contact;
Kedi Healthcare Int'l and Medical Consultants. 08130886936

(1) (Reply)

3 Days A Gwan And Mi Nuh Fi Smoke Weed / I Am A Programmer And I Have Been Searching For Nafdac List Of Products / Ebola In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.