Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Javascript Study Group - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javascript Study Group (13231 Views)

Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners) / Study Group For C++ Learner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Javascript Study Group by DharkPoet(m): 6:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Yeah but Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs, Sergey & Larry have 3 things in common, which you, I and many on Nairaland don't.

1. They are nonblack founders or better yet they are white men
2. Their parents came from the middle-income family who have enough money to get them a computer or a laptop at a very young age (like 12)
3. They went to top universities in USA, like Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

So thus we can't think like them.

1) So we can't have black founders? That to me sounds racist, even though I know there are brothers still out there in the tech sphere making it big.

2) I think it boils down to passion, enthusiasm, age needn't be a barrier. You get a laptop at 12, you get it at 24, doing what you love with it matters.

3) Yup, they did, and I believe it gave them an edge, in fact your number 2 and 3 points, gave them a good edge, but should that make us discouraged? Hell, no!!

Most of us here are self taught, staying late nights, trying to salvage the little fraction of the day after hectic lectures to download tutorials. How else do we test our skills other than networks such as this.
The money shouldn't be a priority, I believe it's going to be as a result of adequate skill set
Re: Javascript Study Group by DharkPoet(m): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Yeah but Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs, Sergey & Larry have 3 things in common, which you, I and many on Nairaland don't.

1. They are nonblack founders or better yet they are white men
2. Their parents came from the middle-income family who have enough money to get them a computer or a laptop at a very young age (like 12)
3. They went to top universities in USA, like Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

So thus we can't think like them.

Duplicate quote
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 6:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I just did. An App Challenge for ways in which technology can help our society.
You are not leading that way. You are only talking the talk and not walking the walk
Re: Javascript Study Group by DharkPoet(m): 6:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
blueyedgeek: Passion and greed ke? you are very funny. grin grin
Okay, lead the way and we'll follow. What I mean is that instead of talking about it all of the time, why not start something and then we'll all join in?

Yeah, very true!! We'd definitely follow!!
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 6:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
Okay, we have derailed well enough. Davidsmith, thanks for increasing the count of this thread.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 6:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
First of all, for those of us who are still unsure of what this thread is all about or just miss it generally; while creating this thread, all I had in mind was just to rub minds with fellow novice programmers who are just getting to learn javascript, share ideas and educate each other.

That's the basic idea.

If while doing that we get to build amazing apps that will increase our passion and greed then fine but this is just a thread for seekers of knowledge.
Re: Javascript Study Group by asalimpo(m): 7:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Personally, I think we need the money b4 we pay a whole alot of time to start understanding code. We can copy and paste for a while and then we go back to see what it is about. When Google started, they didnt really know how to program well, but they got better as time went by. Facebook got better as well. I think we should get the money 1st and then focus on understanding code.
angry
davidsmith8900:

Personally, I think we need the money b4 we pay a whole alot of time to start understanding code. We can copy and paste for a while and then we go back to see what it is about. When Google started, they didnt really know how to program well, but they got better as time went by. Facebook got better as well. I think we should get the money 1st and then focus on understanding code.
Re: Javascript Study Group by asalimpo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

When Google started, they didnt really know how to program well, but they got better as time went by. Facebook got better as well.

boy!! Are u kiddg me! Suprise emogi.
Larry p and sergy were slinging code in diapers. Google was just a phd thesis idea. They *read my lips* coded the first implementation, hand rigged a super computer from off the shelf components to test their ideas.

Zuckerboy, was codg since 14..
He was earng side money from programmg gigs and microsoft wanted to hire him b4 he strted @ harvard 4 a program he wrote - synaptic ....

Dont say this in public oh. They'll deport you and you'll lose job opportunities.
Infact evry1 sayg they want to know how to program should be conversant with d history of their tools, leadg tech companies and tech icons. . Dnt just learn how to "code" . Broaden ya scope.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 7:59pm On Jul 15, 2014
Now, let's get started. Learning JavaScript: Resources to get started

If you are just getting started with JavaScript, you might get confused on where to start and how to start but before getting started, here are a few things to take note of.

* Try to understand what you are learning. Javascript is used to script the behaviour of web pages and it is no way related to the Java programming language, original name was Livescript but was changed to be similar to the then hot Java programming language additionally, it is a full fledged programming language.

* You may have heard about the popular JavaScript library, jQuery but note that jQuery is not a replacement for JavaScript. In fact jQuery just contains a bunch of pre written JavaScript functions to make your coding life easier but you still need to understand Javascript in order to use it properly. In fact, if you become a JavaScript ninja, you could decide to build your own library just for kicks
- Dhtml 1423

* Now, to really get started, there are many easy way to get started learning JavaScript and to be honest, things have become much easier for us in this generation. There are many online schools springing up left right and center just waiting to tutor you on the latest technologies so that you can become a coding ninja. If you haven't had a taste of JavaScript before then you can familiarize yourself by reading through our very own Dhtml's tutorial on the subject (although it has been discontinued but not to worry).

-- here are a few online schools to learn Javascript for free

++ Codecademy: their tagline says it all, "learn to code interactively for free". Just sign up and get coding. Trust me, you'll love it but don't over depend on codecademy for all your needs because it somehow gives you a false sense of accomplishment when you are being spoon fed through out but it's still a good place to start.

++ Learnstreet: Learnstreet is another good place to get started, theirs is a bit similar to codecademy, you write code right there in your browser in the online console and it also comes packed with many different exercises and video tutorials.

* Get a good book and start reading. Unfortunately, I don't have any favorite as recommendations as I just read reviews and download the e-book version but if you still don't know which good book to start with then I will recommend a few:

-- Javascript: the definitive guide: okay, I admit, I only opened this book once and then run away because of the information within. Trust me this book contains a bible's worth of information and I'm just listing it because it is a good book that can be used as reference even when you become a coding ninja.

-- Head First JavaScript programming: Now this is more of a beginners book, this book has a unique way of teaching you how to code and then making sure you actually understand what you are reading. It also comes with fun exercises that you can try out yourself to make sure you have a proper grasp on things.

-- Head First HTML 5 programming: forget the fancy name, this is really a JavaScript book that introduces and teaches you how t use the latest Html 5 features to your greatest advantage while teaching you valuable Javascript at the same time. It's win - win for you.

-- JavaScript and jQuery: the missing manual: Like the name, this book is the manual that should have come with Javascript. The book does a fine job of introducing you to the basic concepts of Javascript before moving on to teaching you how to use the most popular Javascript library, jQuery to build web apps. NOTE: make sure you have a proper understanding of Javascript before disturbing yourself with any library

If there are other good books, please mention them in your comments.

* Get yourself familiarized with the browser console because this is where you will be debugging your codes while learning. You should also get the firebug extension for browsers. It is lightweight but very powerful.

* For editing your codes, a text editor would do just fine additionally, you can get the Jseditor created by our very own Dhtml.

* Read more books and practice like your life depended on it

* Finally, Build something. It doesn't matter how small or how big, just build something that you can be proud of. Learn to always push yourself and try to do those things that scare you the most.

* After this, you can move on to learning a library of your choice. It's not always a good thing to reinvent the wheel, raw Javascript is great and all that but there are still a lot of cross browser incompatibilities what with your codes behaving differently in different browsers or not working all together, this is where libraries come in to handle all the wahala for you so that you can focus on the important thing building awesome web apps

Note that apart from jQuery, there are still other libraries that offer the same functionalities but I don't think you will be needing all of them, just stick with the one that is most convenient for you. When you head don come dey hot, you can add more to your skillset.

Also note that Javascript can be used for server side programming as well so you might not need to learn additional languages once you master Javascript. That's all for now folks.

Let's get coding!!

2 Likes

Re: Javascript Study Group by davidsmith8900: 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2014
DharkPoet:

1) So we can't have black founders? That to me sounds racist, even though I know there are brothers still out there in the tech sphere making it big.

2) I think it boils down to passion, enthusiasm, age needn't be a barrier. You get a laptop at 12, you get it at 24, doing what you love with it matters.

3) Yup, they did, and I believe it gave them an edge, in fact your number 2 and 3 points, gave them a good edge, but should that make us discouraged? Hell, no!!

Most of us here are self taught, staying late nights, trying to salvage the little fraction of the day after hectic lectures to download tutorials. How else do we test our skills other than networks such as this.
The money shouldn't be a priority, I believe it's going to be as a result of adequate skill set

Nothing is racist just stating facts. What u need to do is check on the racism in Silicon Valley. Better yet check the white male priviledge in technology.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Study Group by davidsmith8900: 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
asalimpo:

boy!! Are u kiddg me! Suprise emogi.
Larry p and sergy were slinging code in diapers. Google was just a phd thesis idea. They *read my lips* coded the first implementation, hand rigged a super computer from off the shelf components to test their ideas.

Zuckerboy, was codg since 14..
He was earng side money from programmg gigs and microsoft wanted to hire him b4 he strted @ harvard 4 a program he wrote - synaptic ....

Dont say this in public oh. They'll deport you and you'll lose job opportunities.
Infact evry1 sayg they want to know how to program should be conversant with d history of their tools, leadg tech companies and tech icons. . Dnt just learn how to "code" . Broaden ya scope.

Obviously u didnt take the time to analyze what I was saying, so Ima 4give 4 u this. Unlike DharkPoet n blueeyedgeek, u've been posting reasonable well in other threads, so Ima let u slide.
Re: Javascript Study Group by davidsmith8900: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
blueyedgeek: Now, let's get started. Learning JavaScript: Resources to get started

If you are just getting started with JavaScript, you might get confused on where to start and how to start but before getting started, here are a few things to take note of.

* Try to understand what you are learning. Javascript is used to script the behaviour of web pages and it is no way related to the Java programming language, original name was Livescript but was changed to be similar to the then hot Java programming language additionally, it is a full fledged programming language.

* You may have heard about the popular JavaScript library, jQuery but note that jQuery is not a replacement for JavaScript. In fact jQuery just contains a bunch of pre written JavaScript functions to make your coding life easier but you still need to understand Javascript in order to use it properly. In fact, if you become a JavaScript ninja, you could decide to build your own library just for kicks
- Dhtml 1423

* Now, to really get started, there are many easy way to get started learning JavaScript and to be honest, things have become much easier for us in this generation. There are many online schools springing up left right and center just waiting to tutor you on the latest technologies so that you can become a coding ninja. If you haven't had a taste of JavaScript before then you can familiarize yourself by reading through our very own Dhtml's tutorial on the subject (although it has been discontinued but not to worry).

-- here are a few online schools to learn Javascript for free

++ Codecademy: their tagline says it all, "learn to code interactively for free". Just sign up and get coding. Trust me, you'll love it but don't over depend on codecademy for all your needs because it somehow gives you a false sense of accomplishment when you are being spoon fed through out but it's still a good place to start.

++ Learnstreet: Learnstreet is another good place to get started, theirs is a bit similar to codecademy, you write code right there in your browser in the online console and it also comes packed with many different exercises and video tutorials.

* Get a good book and start reading. Unfortunately, I don't have any favorite as recommendations as I just read reviews and download the e-book version but if you still don't know which good book to start with then I will recommend a few:

-- Javascript: the definitive guide: okay, I admit, I only opened this book once and then run away because of the information within. Trust me this book contains a bible's worth of information and I'm just listing it because it is a good book that can be used as reference even when you become a coding ninja.

-- Head First JavaScript programming: Now this is more of a beginners book, this book has a unique way of teaching you how to code and then making sure you actually understand what you are reading. It also comes with fun exercises that you can try out yourself to make sure you have a proper grasp on things.

-- Head First HTML 5 programming: forget the fancy name, this is really a JavaScript book that introduces and teaches you how t use the latest Html 5 features to your greatest advantage while teaching you valuable Javascript at the same time. It's win - win for you.

-- JavaScript and jQuery: the missing manual: Like the name, this book is the manual that should have come with Javascript. The book does a fine job of introducing you to the basic concepts of Javascript before moving on to teaching you how to use the most popular Javascript library, jQuery to build web apps. NOTE: make sure you have a proper understanding of Javascript before disturbing yourself with any library

If there are other good books, please mention them in your comments.

* Get yourself familiarized with the browser console because this is where you will be debugging your codes while learning. You should also get the firebug extension for browsers. It is lightweight but very powerful.

* For editing your codes, a text editor would do just fine additionally, you can get the Jseditor created by our very own Dhtml.

* Read more books and practice like your life depended on it

* Finally, Build something. It doesn't matter how small or how big, just build something that you can be proud of. Learn to always push yourself and try to do those things that scare you the most.

* After this, you can move on to learning a library of your choice. It's not always a good thing to reinvent the wheel, raw Javascript is great and all that but there are still a lot of cross browser incompatibilities what with your codes behaving differently in different browsers or not working all together, this is where libraries come in to handle all the wahala for you so that you can focus on the important thing building awesome web apps

Note that apart from jQuery, there are still other libraries that offer the same functionalities but I don't think you will be needing all of them, just stick with the one that is most convenient for you. When you head don come dey hot, you can add more to your skillset.

Also note that Javascript can be used for server side programming as well so you might not need to learn additional languages once you master Javascript. That's all for now folks.

Let's get coding!!

Another challenge/study group going nowhere. Lets make JS apps that will make us money instead of making inept n rigged challenges and study groups on this forum. That will definitely help out the poor that is really in need than those who have money and want to hide info and money to themselves.

1. An app that will teach people JS.
2. An app that display your code in real-time devices
3. An app that will convert HTML/JS into other languages like Java & C++.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Another challenge/study group going nowhere. Lets make JS apps that will make us money instead of making inept n rigged challenges and study groups on this forum. That will definitely help out the poor that is really in need than those who have money and want to hide info and money to themselves.

1. An app that will teach people JS.
2. An app that display your code in real-time devices
3. An app that will convert HTML/JS into other languages like Java & C++.

1. how can you teach people Javascript if you do not understand it?
2. what is that even supposed to achieve?
3. again, to what end?
Re: Javascript Study Group by Djtm(m): 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
Haha. I'm having a hearty laugh on this thread.
Re: Javascript Study Group by DharkPoet(m): 10:35pm On Jul 15, 2014
Alright, Davidsmith8900, let's not derail the thread, I think we should be satisfied now, to each man his own, different ideologies have been tabled, so let's not go about shoving them down each others throat.

Let's learn Javascript!!! I've found Sublime Text 3 really good, kinda pricey though. Well, there's also Notepad++ , free as the air!!! wink
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nastydroid(m): 11:11pm On Jul 15, 2014
alert!('nastydroid is here');
Re: Javascript Study Group by Djtm(m): 4:50am On Jul 16, 2014
Nastydroid: alert!('nastydroid is here');
why is there an exclamation mark in front of your alert? Should have been alert('nastydroid is here!');
Re: Javascript Study Group by dhtml(m): 5:00am On Jul 16, 2014
I have been looking at this thread from the begining, but i shall still 'reserve my comment'.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nastydroid(m): 8:37am On Jul 16, 2014
Djtm:
why is there an exclamation mark in front of your alert? Should have been alert('nastydroid is here!');
thanks for d correction...alert('thank you sir!');

1 Like

Re: Javascript Study Group by dhtml(m): 8:47am On Jul 16, 2014
Nastydroid: alert!('nastydroid is here');
I have resolved to do my tutorials on codecademy due to the nuisance people of nairaland. Believe me, i had a fun time this morning when i posted the version 1 of the tutorial. I shall soon make the version 2 publicly available after i finish editing and publish it.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nastydroid(m): 11:07am On Jul 16, 2014
dhtml:
I have resolved to do my tutorials on codecademy due to the nuisance people of nairaland. Believe me, i had a fun time this morning when i posted the version 1 of the tutorial. I shall soon make the version 2 publicly available after i finish editing and publish it.
Roger that sir.....
Re: Javascript Study Group by beatzbyraiyub(m): 1:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
A little knowledge of Javascript is okay, but with the recent release of html5, css3. Most web developers are beginning to dive more into jquery to create dynamic website and mobile app for clients. If i am to advise anyone, i would say jquery is the inteen for now. Master it along with other programming languages like c#,php, codeigniter..etc
Re: Javascript Study Group by GodMode: 5:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by Urine: 9:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
davidsmith8900:

You are too much!
Re: Javascript Study Group by khadaffi(m): 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
The problem I see here is that while this thread was created for beginners we have some advanced learners who assume themselves to still be beginners or learners. Otherwise how do you expect someone who started learning Javascript just about a month or two months back to join you in creating an app or whatever.

My humble submission: create another thread and state the level of experienced programmers who will work on any idea you come up with. Even me myself , I started this Js about 3months ago, and I doubt if I can answer up to five of those questions posted there without visiting google

Please you guys should leave here if you feel your level of experience is above what is done here. Simple
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
khadaffi: The problem I see here is that while this thread was created for beginners we have some advanced learners who assume themselves to still be beginners or learners. Otherwise how do you expect someone who started learning Javascript just about a month or two months back to join you in creating an app or whatever.

My humble submission: create another thread and state the level of experienced programmers who will work on any idea you come up with. Even me myself , I started this Js about 3months ago, and I doubt if I can answer up to five of those questions posted there without visiting google

Please you guys should leave here if you feel your level of experience is above what is done here. Simple
Aptly put.
Re: Javascript Study Group by ClintonNzedimma(m): 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2014
function Myfollowing
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:50am On Jul 25, 2014
How far have we come with Javascript?

Yesterday I crashed my browser while using the while loop (pun intended). I forgot to add the decrement operator inside the code block and it took me a while (again, pun intended) to figure it out.

Good morning peeps.
Re: Javascript Study Group by dhtmlextreme(m): 7:30am On Jul 25, 2014
Aside of the foolishness of some people on this thread, this is an otherwise good thread.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Djtm(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2014
blueyedgeek: How far have we come with Javascript?

Yesterday I crashed my browser while using the while loop (pun intended). I forgot to add the decrement operator inside the code block and it took me a while (again, pun intended) to figure it out.

Good morning peeps.
your browser should have stopped the script. What browser are you using?
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 8:23am On Jul 25, 2014
Djtm:
your browser should have stopped the script. What browser are you using?
I have most browsers installed but I was using Google canary at that moment in time.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2014
[quote author=]Aside of the foolishness of some people on this thread, this is an otherwise good thread.[/quote]Yeah. Good morning and welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Keywords / Reserved word In Q-BASIC / What Is The Average Salary Of A Php Programmer In Lagos / Programming Is just Like Playing Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.