Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Generation To Generations... - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Generation To Generations... (94507 Views)

The Tenth Generation / Our Generation.. Nigeria Is Our Responsibility / To The Dying African Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Generation To Generations... by Jeanfortune(f): 2:58am On Aug 19, 2014
wow, Queenxter, what can i say... big ups, anyways the Yerimas, do them justice, tho i dont feel sorry for that family
Re: Generation To Generations... by SenatorPope(m): 6:48am On Aug 19, 2014
I am fine oooo, madame queen..
Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 7:36am On Aug 19, 2014
loving this story like . . . . . . . crazy
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 7:39am On Aug 19, 2014
SenatorPope: I am fine oooo, madame queen..
I was worried Sweetie. Glad to have you back.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 7:41am On Aug 19, 2014
Jeanfortune: wow, Queenxter, what can i say... big ups, anyways the Yerimas, do them justice, tho i dont feel sorry for that family
Time will tell if you will feel sorry for them eventually or not. I will do them justice. Thank you for your royal pence.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 7:42am On Aug 19, 2014
kidaberry: loving this story like . . . . . . . crazy
And I am loving you presence here like... muuaah!!!
Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 7:45am On Aug 19, 2014
Queenxstar: And I am loving you presence here like... muuaah!!!

LIke seriously Queenxstar
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 10:39am On Aug 19, 2014

'I decided that before these awards go to their various resting places, it should be set before the conference table and we should all see it. ' Kelvin eyes swept their faces. 'Seventeen awards on this conference table, proudly ours.'

All administrative and non administrative staff were all standing and the meeting was transmitted live to all West Africa branches since its Nigeria branch was the headquarters.

'Imagine getting an award because one of the criterias was that our cafeteria serving great meal was considered.' He directed his gaze to guy in charge of the cafeteria and beamed at him.

He smiled.

'Two years it was seven, hello all! Is someone getting me? Is somebody feeling what I am feeling? Seven is never seventeen, there is distinct distinction between those figures. That can only mean that we've changed many things about us especially our mind set. I want to really take time out to appreciate Miss Sylvester for all the talks she gave us, for her selflessness and never giving up attitude.'

Olaide winked at her and she smiled shyly. Many others nodded.

'I'm not surprise she is the new face of business in Nigeria. Please keep it for Miss Sylvester.'

They applaud her.

'How can you applaud like that, she is the reason we have the privilege to see the latest bulletproof range rover... '

Katherine rolled her eyes and most chuckled.

The applause became resounding.
'She is the reason we have a press crew waiting at the reception.'

Precious whistled excitedly.

The applause became thunderous.
'I appreciate Mr Machi, Mr King Philips, each and everyone for you for doing SIC proud. Now we going to stretch forth our hands towards this awards and appreciate the King of glory for honoring us.'

+++
Katherine was still in her office having an exclusive interview with channels television and other representatives from various newsprint.

After the prayers earlier in the day, they had taken photographs in the conference room. Afterwards they had troop out at Kelvin instruction for photographs outside.

A professional photographer had been contracted.

In one of the photographs, Olaide had assisted Katherine up to the bonnet of the Jeep, luckily she had flats on. The rest had stood at the sides and the front while she swayed to a side and her hands were stretched out like she was going to fly with her best of smiles on her lips.

She was happy, they were her family.
+++

2 Likes

Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 10:44am On Aug 19, 2014
If you read without dropping a royal pence, hmmm... it's not fair o.
Re: Generation To Generations... by vivikul(f): 10:50am On Aug 19, 2014
Swtty nyc work n keep it up. I want more so pls dnt blame me
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
awww! so so sweet n wonderful. am now among doz hu will b clamoring for updates now,more data to ur fone miss,u rock
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2014
vivikul: Swtty nyc work n keep it up. I want more so pls dnt blame me
Thank you dear, welcome.
Re: Generation To Generations... by TiffanyJ(f): 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2014
You are doing great queen. I can't wait to know kath's past, what really happend and how she survived.
Doesn't she have any friend that are not in SIC? You mentioned a brother at the begining of your work. What happened to him?
What about the yerima's family? I'm a bit in the dark at this angle.
Thanks ma, for your time
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
Candis009: awww! so so sweet n wonderful. am now among doz hu will b clamoring for updates now,more data to ur fone miss,u rock
Welcome here dearie.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 2:52pm On Aug 19, 2014
TiffanyJ: You are doing great queen. I can't wait to know kath's past, what really happend and how she survived.
Doesn't she have any friend that are not in SIC? You mentioned a brother at the begining of your work. What happened to him?
What about the yerima's family? I'm a bit in the dark at this angle.
Thanks ma, for your time
The next chapter would throw some light.
Re: Generation To Generations... by TiffanyJ(f): 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2014
Queenxstar: The next chapter would throw some light.
good to hear that. Patiently waiting
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2014
Kool one dearie...
Re: Generation To Generations... by omoh19: 5:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
nnekamezor: Kool one dearie...
drinking zobo while waiting 4 ur update
Re: Generation To Generations... by Dorisbest(f): 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
Wow!
Queenster, the award stuff was captivating. She really deserve it.
U re the best at what you are doing.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2014
omoh19: drinking zobo while waiting 4 ur update
where's my own zobo drink nw. Derez love in sharing Dude..smiley
Re: Generation To Generations... by Daintydaisy(f): 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
I jst hope d yerimas r nt suffering jst lyk d man in d story our dear kathy tld, and dey r nt d reason y kathy is without a family. The suspense is jst 2much, Kudos Queeny.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 9:15pm On Aug 19, 2014
It is refreshing to have familiar faces back to the family. I appreciate your royal pence.
Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 8:48am On Aug 20, 2014
abi oh queency,flakky and tiffany una stories they put my own on hold ooh
Re: Generation To Generations... by vivikul(f): 10:50am On Aug 20, 2014
Queenny hope am part of d family *winks*
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2014
kidaberry: abi oh queency,flakky and tiffany una stories they put my own on hold ooh
Go and unhold it darling.
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 11:09am On Aug 20, 2014
vivikul: Queenny hope am part of d family *winks*
Sure dearie.
Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 11:59am On Aug 20, 2014
Queenxstar: Go and unhold it darling.

Its kinda like no one reads it
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 1:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
kidaberry:

Its kinda like no one reads it
I will read it this night.
Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 4:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
Queenxstar: I will read it this night.
Thanks alot Queency
Re: Generation To Generations... by Queenxstar(f): 4:50pm On Aug 20, 2014

Kelvin dangled the key before her looking so fly in a sleeveless orange T-shirt on a floral trunk short and a white flip flops. 'Darling I want you to drive.'

'Seriously.' She tilted her head to a side and searched his face. She looking. She looking breath taking in a embroidery multicolored beach dress that stopped above her knees with white grin ankle strap sandals.

Kelvin nodded and then  suddenly smiled brightly as she thought of being mischievous.

She collected the key, marched to the car and went ahead to open the passenger side.

Kelvin remained where he was and begin to shake his head. 'We will be switching roles today.'

'You better go to the other side, let me open the door for you.' He instructed with an index finger.

'I drive, my rules.' Before he could object she ran to him, he ducked  and ran to the other side of the car.

For two minutes, she tried to catch him to no avail, when she tried to climb the booth of his car, he stopped running.

'Kathy please, don't...don't  climb before you sustain a fracture or dismantle my car, this is not a range rover o!'

She couldn't helped but burst into laughter at the accent.

Eventually, he got in, she closed the door and rounded the car. She got behind the wheel and drove out of her compound.

'You are bundle of surprise, it wasn't up to a month you got your official car before you limited the services of your driver.

She didn't answer immediately as she reduced the speed of the car and waved as the security personnel at the main gate leading out of the estate. She joined the express road and the car sped up.

'I first learnt how to drive when I was fourteen.'

'Fourteen! ' He exclaimed taken aback.

'I used those those few weeks to refresh my knowledge and decide if I should take the steering wheel  or not.'

He had a thousand and one questions to ask but he had a strong conviction to change the subject. 'That's splendid, what kind of movies do you favor? '

Katherine couldn't help but glance at him, she was  astonished he had just let that slide. 'I love comedy, family, drama...'

+++
'Kathy, you're staring at it as though you can ride it.' Kelvin observed.

Katherine blinked back to reality from memory land. She didn't hear so she couldn't respond.

'Or can you ride a horse? ' He questioned with a smile, the bridle of the horse was in his hand.

She closed her eyes and momentarily and ran her hand on  the horse neck and face. 'I could try riding it.'

'A horse is not something you jump on and begin to ride without afore knowledge of it.' He informed her.

She helped herself on the horse and grabbed the bridle from him and use her legs to set the horse in motion.

It was so abruptly done that when he recovered the horse had covered a reasonable distance.

He glared wide eyed.

They turned and advanced towards him. When she near him, she slowed the horse so that when she swerved close to him and quickly, he jumped back.

'Oh God.' He muttered and laughed at himself.

She alighted from the horse and expressed gratitude to the horse for a lovely ride. She handed the bridle to him and put up a straight face. 'Can I ride a horse now? '

'I don't know Kathy... in fact, I'm speechless. '

She winked at him and he laughed long and hard. 'Let's ride together. '

They rode together and they took photographs until Kelvin decided to payback.

He made a straight advance towards the sea.

At first she thought he was joking, but when he kept nudging the horse, she clasped a palm over mouth.

'You better scream if you want to, it might make me change my mind.' He whispered.

He didn't finish before she scream.

He made an abrupt turn out of the water and as soon as horse stop, she practically jumped down and slumped on her knees.

He stood beside her and in between stifled laughter said. 'I'm waiting for you to catch your breath so we can take another ride.'

She stood instantly and marched their shade.

He ran after her. 'Sweetie, am sorry! '

Few minutes later,

He opened the picnic box and set the table with the still hot boiled corn and coconut, his housekeeper had prepared and packed for the occasion. Earlier they had potato salad.

'I'm sorry dear, please let's eat.'

She folded her arms beneath her bossoms and sized him with her eyes.

He pulled his chair close. 'I'll feed you. Here, drink some water first. '

She opened her mouth.
+++
Katherine exhaled. 'I have never had to tell someone what I am about to tell you.' She sighed. 'I am about to answer all of your questions, questions you've voiced out, those have seen in your eyes and expressions. I am going to tell you about Katherine Sylvester. Get ready Kel, you about to see the me you never knew exist.' She reached to take the bottled water.

Kelvin saw her hand tremble.

She stared at him for the longest time and glanced at the ground, the sand and shells, then out at the sky and then at the sea and when she eventually looked back at him. Tears were flowing down her face.

'Kathy...' He gasped, she had told him to prepare but this was the least of what he was expecting. He didn't even know what to expect.

'Kelvin, my life is a switch of emotions, when something happens and it's expected of me to jump excited, I might act shocked, when it is expected of me laugh gleefully, I might just give a faint smile and vice versa.' She began calmly. 'There are families and there are families.' She repeated emphatically. 'I had a family, a special kind, a lovely one ...' She shook her head slowly. 'The most unique, how bonded were we! My family was an epitome of a normal definition of the word -family, father, mother and child or children. I had a dad, mum and a brother. Permit me to start this way, my father was a petrolchemical engineer and my mother worked for one of the most prominent oil company in Nigeria, my mum owned and ran a guest house. It was majorly know because of it's restaurant. My mum was a born cook, she was good, in fact good is an understatement. People trooped in and out despite alcoholic drinks not being sold.' She beamed.
'My brother is four years older than I am.' She fetched her hanky and wiped her face. 'My brother and I were born with a golden spoon.' Her voice became so clear.

He raised a brow.

'My parents were wealthy despite that, we children got what we needed not what we wanted nor what every other child had.'

Kelvin nodded, he could relate with that.

'We were made to understand why. They were parents with top positions that demanded attention and time yet we were always top priority. Nothing interfered with our time. They didn't hesitate to profess their love for us. Even when we made mistakes, they corrected us in love. My brother and I were trained in best of schools. We had vacations in and out of the country. We celebrated special days, remember my grand birthday party I told you about.'

He nodded in remembrance.

'In my family I had more I could ever ask for love, care, attention, security and what have you.' Her tears were back in trickles. She stared into space momentarily.
'I had more than enough mentors spiritually, educationally, socially and in all aspect of life. I was like a focal point, where my parents stopped, my big brother continued.' She glanced up at the sky than at Kelvin who had his eyes fixed on her, she heaved.

'We were more than brother and sister, he was my best friend, we were more than twins, we were so close that he knew when my mentrual period starts and I had cramps, he would place a warm compress on my lower abdomen and do things to cheer me.
We talked about everything. He was the one that me how to ride a horse and how to drive. We had our fights and fun. When we go shopping, no matter how much I like a thing, once he shakes his head, I dropped it. He took me out and when I get back home, my knowledge increases. Neighbors and friends called us KK twins.' She smiled

Kelvin smiled too.

'When he travels, I took it upon me to watch his favorite TV programs even when I don't fancy them just to see the smile on his face when I narrated them to him. We made our sacrifices.' She beamed and then chuckled. 'My parents were in charge of my bed time stories but when I outgrew it, he took over. He called it a game and laid down the rules. Every weekend, we went to the library, picked a book and read it, checked out difficult words in the dictionary, jot down what we learnt, exchange what we jotted to read and we were to ask ourselves ten questions respectively.

'Wow.' Kelvin said impressed.

'We were not limited to any field of study.'

'Your brother is wise.'

'Yes, so I learnt and knew so much, things I didn't completely understand then but came to understand later. That knowledge helped me as a secretary, when I worked with your daddy, the wisdom I acquired is what I practice in most of what I do on daily basis. We were young, yet we lived our live maximally like we knew it... it wasn't going to be for a... ' she burst into tears.

He stood and placed his seat beside hers and took both hands in his.

'Kelvin, it is going to be a long day.' She exhaled and shivered slightly.

'I will be right here with you through it all.' He smiled at her and wiped her face with his palm.

3 Likes

Re: Generation To Generations... by kidaberry(f): 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
awwww
so sweet. they should just lean in for a kiss already
Re: Generation To Generations... by lyzee21(f): 6:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
Weldone Queenxster, hv bin folowng dis story as a guest b4 d breakdwn. Dis is a 1daful piece, kip it up. Ve always wonderd hw kate got 2 knw dose tinz she did.......cant wait 4 d nx update. God bles u real gud.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (36) (Reply)

The Silent Lover / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.