Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195198 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:40pm On Mar 06, 2015
EzePromoe:

I've listen to this and as usual I'm bemused as to how some chords would fall in and I also have problems with soloing songs. Why is it like you weren't maintaining a steady tempo or is it just me? From the sound of the piano, the SUSTAIN was on and that make some chords sound awkward atimes. Why do most professionals like using SUSTAIN, do you think it will be better off when SUSTAIN is left off.
well u know I don't have a drummer or singer.. So I wasn't playing to any tempo.. Sustain pedal is great .. But my piano doesn't have good sound
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 6:54pm On Mar 06, 2015
Dramadiddy:
well u know I don't have a drummer or singer.. So I wasn't playing to any tempo.. Sustain pedal is great .. But my piano doesn't have good sound
Twas nice though. Pls do not forget to drop the breakdown you promised earlier. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2015
zbone:

correct guy
well done
nna hwfr nw.. Voice something fr ur bro nw.. Let me tiff sum tins
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
Dramadiddy:
nna hwfr nw.. Voice something fr ur bro nw.. Let me tiff sum tins

my oga, na at attention I dey o. i will drop sumtin soon sha, I have been really busy recently.
you're in school nw? how studies?

btw, I have been wanting us to talk on appergios, how to form them, fingering etc

*modified

nairaland is funny o
them they censor fing.ering to manipulation
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2015
zbone:

my oga, na at attention I dey o. i will drop sumtin soon sha, I have been really busy recently.
you're in school nw? how studies?

btw, I have been wanting us to talk on appergios, how to form them, fingering etc

*modified

nairaland is funny o
them they censor fing.ering to manipulation
studies r cool sha.. Just all this dem 8-6 class almost errday.. I con dey wonder how u mean by manipulation.. Arpeggios r broken chords
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 11:29pm On Mar 06, 2015
So guys, this is just an idea on how to structure a chord and use it as an appergio run over a number of octaves, up the keyboard.
Before if I wanted to do an appergio, I would just strike the chord over three octaves going up, that's OK, but a cooler way is to play an inversion of the chord you are appergiating(i don't know if this word exist), cross over with left hand and play a single note which is a member of that chord, then with your right play another inversion, a note with the left hand another inversion and it goes on and on like that.
I will use a Cmaj chord to explain better. if I want to play an appergio of a Cmaj chord as a run up the keyboard,
-I will play the first inversion of Cmaj which is (E G C) with my right hand
-cross my left hand over my right hand hit E (which is a member of the Cmaj chord
-naturally my right hand will fall on Cmaj second inversion (G C E)
-cross my left hand over my right again, but this time I hit G
-finally with the right hand play the Cmaj chord in root position, but double the root ( C E G C ).

N.B: it is good to practice this slowly, then build up speed. playing your appergio like this helps it to be connected and flowing with a sustain pedal.
you could use this idea on any chord(triad), major or minor
Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:37am On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:

Twas nice though. Pls do not forget to drop the breakdown you promised earlier. Thanks.
kk
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:08am On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

I noticed the awkwardness too but since it's gameboi and Dramadiddy endorses it, who am I to say otherwise? undecided

That apart, as time goes on the ear will get used to it, the last time I checked, music is solely based on tension and release.

I'll go check them out, you should try out "smoothchord" too, they major in scoring songs.

I was talking about your video turned audio. undecided
Yea, I wanted a bit of tension in it. Most times I play a III7#5 chord for a bit of tension. It just depends on Preference.

I'll visit that site too.

You won't believe if I tell you that I've not gone to church.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:13am On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:
Hahaha. I'm so musically sensitive to errors that any slight one would reduce my momentum. Really I'm not as good as professionals who are good in covering up immediately there is an error. But sincerely just knowing the chords is not all but its really knowing what comes next. Apart from that A part playing chord Bb/G (G bass line and Bb chords) was really pleasant to my hearing.
I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys share more .amr or .mp3 files of how you play praises with the split function. No be Ariaria o, I mean correct Western. LOL.
Hehe! 'twasn't really an error per se. It's something I just thought of trying.

The mp3 or any other file will come Later. The Procedures for Joining the musical department of churches here is something else. And I don't have a personal keyboard.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 9:05am On Mar 07, 2015
gameboi:
Hehe! 'twasn't really an error per se. It's something I just thought of trying.

The mp3 or any other file will come Later. The Procedures for Joining the musical department of churches here is something else. And I don't have a personal keyboard.
Guy you're not alone on it o. In all these city churches, there are so many good keyboardists sitting on the sideline, so there is apparently no space for me. What I do is that I attend a church in the suburbs where I'm a crowned king at least grin
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 10:38am On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:
So guys, this is just an idea on how to structure a chord and use it as an appergio run over a number of octaves, up the keyboard.
Before if I wanted to do an appergio, I would just strike the chord over three octaves going up, that's OK, but a cooler way is to play an inversion of the chord you are appergiating(i don't know if this word exist), cross over with left hand and play a single note which is a member of that chord, then with your right play another inversion, a note with the left hand another inversion and it goes on and on like that.
I will use a Cmaj chord to explain better. if I want to play an appergio of a Cmaj chord as a run up the keyboard,
-cross my left hand over my right hand hit E (which is a member of the Cmaj chord
-finally with the right hand play the Cmaj chord in root position, but double the root ( C E G C ).

N.B: it is good to practice this slowly, then build up speed. playing your appergio like this helps it to be connected and flowing with a sustain pedal.
Hope this helps
Wait a minute.

When the left hand is on E, the right hand should be on E-G-C like you said. Should that on the right hand be simultaneous or alternating? I need a better explanation. It will be best if you upload an MP3 or .amr file of what an appergio looks like. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 10:42am On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:

Guy you're not alone on it o. In all these city churches, there are so many good keyboardists sitting on the sideline, so there is apparently no space for me. What I do is that I attend a church in the suburbs where I'm a crowned king at least grin
Haha! That's how it should be. You have to stay where your ministry moves. As for me, the churches I visited don't really have keyboardists that are better than me. The department is only scared of a change of style. So, I was told to be persistent for some months in order to get accustomed to their style of play. But I don't have such time. You won't believe when I saw one of the keyboardist Solo-ing with Chords. The sound was so awkward. Shey na that kind thing me wan Learn?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 10:53am On Mar 07, 2015
gameboi:
Haha! That's how it should be. You have to stay where your ministry moves. As for me, the churches I visited don't really have keyboardists that are better than me. The department is only scared of a change of style. So, I was told to be persistent for some months in order to get accustomed to their style of play. But I don't have such time. You won't believe when I saw one of the keyboardist Solo-ing with Chords. The sound was so awkward. Shey na that kind thing me wan Learn?
That's Ariaria style for you. grin When you try to introduce the 'city' pattern, it will look as if you're going out of key. That's just the down side of it. I do adopt sha just to get closer to the keyboard but I mix both genres. I'll try and upload a snippet mp3 file after tomorrow service.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 12:38pm On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:

Wait a minute.

When the left hand is on E, the right hand should be on E-G-C like you said. Should that on the right hand be simultaneous or alternating? I need a better explanation. It will be best if you upload an MP3 or .amr file of what an appergio looks like. Thanks.

appergios are broken chords so you play single notes at a time. I don't have my keyboard at the moment, so I'll do a Voice recording later.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 12:40pm On Mar 07, 2015
gameboi:
Yea, I wanted a bit of tension in it. Most times I play a III7#5 chord for a bit of tension. It just depends on Preference.

I'll visit that site too.

You won't believe if I tell you that I've not gone to church.

Err you are now a sinner, right?

Is their style of play that awkward? undecided

@Ezepromoe pls deliberate more on this ariaria style.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 12:49pm On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:

That's Ariaria style for you. grin When you try to introduce the 'city' pattern, it will look as if you're going out of key. That's just the down side of it. I do adopt sha just to get closer to the keyboard but I mix both genres. I'll try and upload a snippet mp3 file after tomorrow service.

what's this Ariaria i keep hearing of on this thread, is some kind of dance style like azonto or something? smiley
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:

what's this Ariaria i keep hearing of on this thread, is some kind of dance style like azonto or something? smiley
[b]@Karleb
Ariaria is a genre of church praise and worship peculiar to most conservative (or should I add local churches?) churches in the East and parts of the South (don't know of other places) where most church praises are highlife oriented. In this type of music, you rarely here any infusion of minor chords. grin All song must fall in within the primary chords of the key (majorly Fmajor) i.e in that steady progression 1-4-5, they use it to play any music in this world grin . They even solo with it in a rhythmic way and of course who love it more than their audience. grin
E.g An Ariaria keyboardist that play on key F wouldn't go beyond playing the F, Bb and C chords grin
Though Nowadays they've started expanding their horizons by adding the sixth i.e Dm7 (key F), the third Am7, the flat seventh Eb7 and the second Gm7 (that is for those that are experts o).

So generally speaking, all the augmented, diminished, dominant etc, are plainly OFF KEYS in a hot Ariaria session grin

Hope you understand?
[/b]

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 4:09pm On Mar 07, 2015
EzePromoe:

[b]@Karleb
Ariaria is a genre of church praise and worship peculiar to most conservative (or should I add local churches?) churches in the East and parts of the South (don't know of other places) where most church praises are highlife oriented. In this type of music, you rarely here any infusion of minor chords. grin All song must fall in within the primary chords of the key (majorly Fmajor) i.e in that steady progression 1-4-5, they use it to play any music in this world grin . They even solo with it in a rhythmic way and of course who love it more than their audience. grin
E.g An Ariaria keyboardist that play on key F wouldn't go beyond playing the F, Bb and C chords grin
Though Nowadays they've started expanding their horizons by adding the sixth i.e Dm7 (key F), the third Am7, the flat seventh Eb7 and the second Gm7 (that is for those that are experts o).

So generally speaking, all the augmented, diminished, dominant etc, are plainly OFF KEYS in a hot Ariaria session grin

Hope you understand?
[/b]

grin grin

Yeah, I get it.

So, Ariaria is just another word for Finger Imprisonment. Imagine restricting yourself to just 3 houses in the whole of Nigeria.

No wonder gameboi couldn't adapt. grin
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 4:57pm On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

grin grin

Yeah, I get it.

So, Ariaria is just another word for Finger Imprisonment. Imagine restricting yourself to just 3 houses in the whole of Nigeria.

That is ehn grin
Anyway, it's what their audience love dancing to smiley
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

grin grin

Yeah, I get it.

L grin L
Ariaria is A combination of Highlife and pop. The tempo is usually faster than normal songs. It requires the use of Ibotic chords and It requires good use of appregios too. And it's cool too.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:

Hope this helps

Cool! cool

Do you have any idea about this walkdown pianist do from the higher treble to base?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

Cool! cool

Do you have any idea about this walkdown pianist do from the higher treble to base?

nyc you understand

i don't get your walkdown stuff o
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 9:27pm On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:

nyc you understand

i don't get your walkdown stuff o

How do I explain it sef.

It's just one nice walkdown like that, some people do it chromatically others do it on scale. I.e from the highest octave to the lowest.

Do you get it now?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 10:23pm On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

How do I explain it sef.

It's just one nice walkdown like that, some people do it chromatically others do it on scale. I.e from the highest octave to the lowest.

Do you get it now?

I think u mean like a descending run
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 10:27pm On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:

I think u mean like a descending run

Exactly! smiley
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 10:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
Karleb:

Exactly! smiley

most of those runs are from practicing scales. you can form them, to suite whatever it is you're playing. so I would say practice your scales and they will just come naturally to you.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 11:09pm On Mar 07, 2015
zbone:

most of those runs are from practicing scales. you can form them, to suite whatever it is you're playing. so I would say practice your scales and they will just come naturally to you.

Just when I thought there is a secret formula somewhere!! angry angry angry
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 9:43am On Mar 08, 2015
IDEAL QUALITIES FOR MUSICIANS

Spirit-filled. Walking in the Spirit on a consistent basis. Sensitive to the Lord's leading.

Moral. Of excellent moral character; not a trace of immorality, drug or alcohol abuse. Not a gossip. Possesing a good reputation, working for the Lord. Having a strong marriage. When there is a problem, willing to let the worship leader or pastor know about serious moral failures at once and step down for a time.

Hard-working. Willing to help out others in any way: setting up equipment, making copies, baby-sitting, whatever is needed. Not stuck in just taking care of themselves.

Humble. Motivated out of service to the Lord, not to be known. A God-pleaser. Having crucified pride and ego!

Supportive of leadership. Willing to get behind leadership. Not a "yes-man", but able to share views yet joyfully get behind leadership decisions, right or wrong (or otherwise steps out).

Flexible. Able to adjust to changes. "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be broken".

Musically competent. Can play well enough to be an aid to worship and not introduce excessive distractions.

Committed. Willing to take the time to improve in abilities, learn new songs, new techniques.

Punctual. Arrives early enough to be properly prepared for worship and practices.

Worshipful. Able to truly worship while leading others. Not wrapped up in a performance mentality.

Prayerful. Willing to invest time in prayer, privately and together, for the ministry.

Mature. Not a new believer. Probably a Christian for at least 2 years.

Modest. Not wearing clothes that draw attention to yourself. No tight or revealing clothes. Ladies are requested to not wear shorts and to be sensitive not to wear any sleeveless or low-cut blouses, no tank tops.

Involved in "secret" ministries. Actively working in less conspicuous ministries. Also, shows up to church even when he is not playing!

Prepared. Ready in heart, in skill, and practiced. Thinking ahead about practices, setting up equipment.

Fun. Enjoys the ministry and encourages those he works with.

An Example. Not engaged in any activity that might look questionable. Having no appearance of evil.

Responsible. Tries to find other like-gifted musicians to fill-in when he is absent. Even encourages and "disciples" them to multiply and even replace himself.

Willing to step down at any time. Maintaining a David-like attitude, not a Saul-like attitude. Available but not demanding.

A Servant: Having similar attributes that Paul describes for a deacon (= servant):
"Likewise deacons (must be) reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. But let these first be proved; then let them serve as deacons, being (found) blameless. Likewise (their) wives (must be) reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling (their) children and their own houses well. For those who served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus." I Timothy 3:8-13.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2015
Karleb:

Just when I thought there is a secret formula somewhere!! angry angry angry

eyahh.....
don't take my word for it you could do some research, who knows? you might find what you're looking for
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2015
Dramadiddy:
http://www.2shared.com/audio/qPf4fsHG/You_R_The_Pillar_That_Holds_My.html breakdown coming soon
S d r// m l t m Ebmaj13add11
S l d r// fi t m Ebmaj13add11
Mo tau r// tau mo s Bmaj7
L t// s d r f Bbmin13
Zi tau// fi t di m Amin13
S r// s l r Ebsus9
L t// s d r f Bbmin13
S r// s l r Ebsus9
L m s// s d m Fmin7
R l d//fi tau r Bbdom#5
Tau m l//r s d F#maj7#11
//r s t Ebmaj
F d//d m s l Dbmaj9
Fi l di//mo mi zi ti Dmin13
Fi t mo zi// fi tau r Ddom13#5add11
Zi m//zi ti di m Emaj6
L s//s t r Fmin11
R l d//d f l Bbmin7
M zi r//f s t Cdomb9b10
T//f zi t r Gdim7
D s//tau d f l d Abdom13add11

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 7:17am On Mar 10, 2015
Dramadiddy:
L t// s d r f Bbmin13
S r// s l r Ebsus9
L t// s d r f Bbmin13
S r// s l r Ebsus9
L m s// s d m Fmin7
R l d//fi tau r Bbdom#5
Tau m l//r s d F#maj7#11
//r s t Ebmaj
F d//d m s l Dbmaj9
Fi l di//mo mi zi ti Dmin13
Fi t mo zi// fi tau r Ddom13#5add11
Zi m//zi ti di m Emaj6
L s//s t r Fmin11
R l d//d f l Bbmin7
M zi r//f s t Cdomb9b10
T//f zi t r Gdim7
D s//tau d f l d Abdom13add11
Phewww. Finally.
Thanks for this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by DeHero1: 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2015
Pls where do u stay?

@ EzePromoe

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.