Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' (21333 Views)

Jide Macaulay, Nigerian Gay Pastor Writes Letter To Homophobes With Bible Quotes / Catholic Bishop Of Aba Diocese Most Rev Vincent Ezeonyia Passes On. / Monsignor Matthew Hassan Kukah Now Catholic Bishop Of Sokoto Diocese (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by beryl04(m): 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2014
Catholic Bishop: Antigay Attitudes 'Sick' and 'Heartless'
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera once again speaks out strongly on behalf of LGBT people.
BY TRUDY RING
JULY 15 2014 3:00 PM ET

Bishop Raúl Vera
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera, one of the strongest advocates for LGBT people within the Roman Catholic Church, is speaking out again, this time saying, “People who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves.”
Vera, the bishop of Saltillo in northern Mexico, made the statement in an interview published Monday in the Spanish and Latin American newspaper El País. He did not go so far as to endorse same-sex marriage, but he took a more progressive stance than is common in his church.
The interviewer said, “Not long ago you baptized the daughter of a lesbian couple. What do you think about homosexuality?” Vera responded, “That is a topic that we have refused to address. The people who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves. The Church needs to come to them not with condemnation, but with dialogue. We cannot cancel out a person’s richness just because of his or her sexual preference. That is sick, that is heartless, that is lacking common sense.”
The church’s official stance is that LGBT people deserve respect and compassion, but it strongly opposes homosexual acts and same-sex marriage.
Vera also took a stance, similar to Pope Francis’s, that opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage should not be the church’s only priorities. He said he considers abortion murder, but added, “Abortion, just like same-sex marriage, has served us [as] subterfuge to tell ourselves that we in the Church have our morals. It is very easy to go against a woman who has an abortion, it poses no trouble and we have support from the ultraconservative right. When there was a national campaign against abortion here, I organized rosary recitations to reflect on the defense of the lives of migrants, miners and women as well as the unborn. But we are hypocrites. It would seem that the only moral rules deal with condemning same-sex couples and abortions. You do that and you’re the perfect Christian.”
El País notes that in the past, Vera’s advocacy for oppressed people, including gay people and the poor, had gotten him into trouble with the church’s hierarchy. In 2011, when John Paul II was pope, the Vatican investigated Vera’s work with a gay group. But much has changed under Pope Francis’s leadership.
“For a long time, Raúl Vera was the Catholic Church’s black sheep, the old-fashioned left-winger,” the article reads. “But that was until the ideological earthquake represented by the new pope, Francis I, gave renewed relevance to his words. Now, other bishops are suddenly turning to Vera for guidance.”

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by beryl04(m): 11:09pm On Jul 15, 2014
An example of how Bishops will be in the future,he is just breaking the timeline!

By d way, here's the source of the article/interview-

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/07/14/inenglish/1405349122_612890.html?

16 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by jayseehe(m): 12:53am On Jul 16, 2014
this man is sick. doesn't he have a bible

20 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 16, 2014
Interesting
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by diarra94(m): 12:55am On Jul 16, 2014
lemme wait for the comments
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by mizjules(f): 12:56am On Jul 16, 2014
Hmmm.
Yeayyy!!! First time I'm making front page... Err back to topic, what is wrong is wrong, I dunno if the priest is scared of hurting their feelings or something. Yea its true we Don't talk to them by commendation, but as a priest it is your duty to advise them, preach to them,pray for them,warn them GoD created man n woman for a purpose not man n man. Blessing their marriage has also made him a part of their sinful act. Most preachers these days Don't preach the truth these days, either they sugarcoat it or they hide it. Smh.. For the sake of HIS sorrowful passion, have MERCY on us and the whole World.

25 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Twik: 12:56am On Jul 16, 2014
Time to Repent..preparing for rapture! Omo Bishop u are sick!

6 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by jnrbayano(m): 12:56am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera once again speaks out strongly on behalf of LGBT people.
BY TRUDY RING

Bishop Raúl Vera
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera, one of the strongest advocates for LGBT people within the Roman Catholic Church, is speaking out again, this time saying, “People who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves.”
Vera, the bishop of Saltillo in northern Mexico, made the statement in an interview published Monday in the Spanish and Latin American newspaper El País. He did not go so far as to endorse same-sex marriage, but he took a more progressive stance than is common in his church.
The interviewer said, “Not long ago you baptized the daughter of a lesbian couple. What do you think about homosexuality?” Vera responded, “That is a topic that we have refused to address. The people who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves. The Church needs to come to them not with condemnation, but with dialogue. We cannot cancel out a person’s richness just because of his or her sexual preference. That is sick, that is heartless, that is lacking common sense.”
The church’s official stance is that LGBT people deserve respect and compassion, but it strongly opposes homosexual acts and same-sex marriage.
Vera also took a stance, similar to Pope Francis’s, that opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage should not be the church’s only priorities. He said he considers abortion murder, but added, “Abortion, just like same-sex marriage, has served us [as] subterfuge to tell ourselves that we in the Church have our morals. It is very easy to go against a woman who has an abortion, it poses no trouble and we have support from the ultraconservative right. When there was a national campaign against abortion here, I organized rosary recitations to reflect on the defense of the lives of migrants, miners and women as well as the unborn. But we are hypocrites. It would seem that the only moral rules deal with condemning same-sex couples and abortions. You do that and you’re the perfect Christian.”
El País notes that in the past, Vera’s advocacy for oppressed people, including gay people and the poor, had gotten him into trouble with the church’s hierarchy. In 2011, when John Paul II was pope, the Vatican investigated Vera’s work with a gay group. But much has changed under Pope Francis’s leadership.
“For a long time, Raúl Vera was the Catholic Church’s black sheep, the old-fashioned left-winger,” the article reads. “But that was until the ideological earthquake represented by the new pope, Francis I, gave renewed relevance to his words. Now, other bishops are suddenly turning to Vera for guidance.”
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by lilprinze: 12:58am On Jul 16, 2014
end time tinz

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Odunharry(m): 12:58am On Jul 16, 2014
good mrning nairalanders

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by hummerwise(m): 1:00am On Jul 16, 2014
Bishop?

Certainly the devil has left the sinners and now facing the righteous squarely,

Its now beginning

8 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by searay(m): 1:00am On Jul 16, 2014
I love NL. Please I don't have any reasonable comment.

.quote me or die!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by kenclark2001(m): 1:06am On Jul 16, 2014
let's equate all sins equally.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by ichidodo: 1:07am On Jul 16, 2014
Aren't we all?....
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Sleekydee(m): 1:07am On Jul 16, 2014
All this "don't condemn them dont condemn them" campaigns are strategic ways churches that arent rooted deep in Christ are using to welcome an act God specifically hates...Homosexuality is Perversion, God distaste Perversion, He is a God of Life, and not perversion. I strongly agree as christians, condemnation is off our list, but then it wil be far easier 2 feel sorry for someone who sees and reckon he or she is going in the wrong direction....but unfortunately these arent the case of most Gay n Lesbians. you often find them trying to convince other by saying "I was born this way" "I didnt choose to be this way" I will continue to condemn any gay or lesbian that tries to convince me he/she cant change his/her ways....thats my 2 kobo in the matter....Bishop I hail oh, well done sir.

26 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 1:07am On Jul 16, 2014
Coming from a Bishop? Gush this is disgusting and annoying. False Peeps.

6 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by kenneth348: 1:07am On Jul 16, 2014
U
jayseehe: this man is sick. doesn't he have a bible
I bet that you might even say this to God himself....hi holia highness

8 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Iyanusele(m): 1:08am On Jul 16, 2014
Eseun oooooo

mo ti gbo

otutu oma nairalanders
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Jbenue: 1:09am On Jul 16, 2014
If the Catholic church is not carefull they will end up like the Anglican Church a watered down version of christianity who are sometimes scared to aknowledge God himself

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by ddippset(m): 1:11am On Jul 16, 2014
i think his message is simple; hate the sin, dont hate the sinner- hate the homosexuality dont hate the homosexual.

46 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Panter215: 1:12am On Jul 16, 2014
Times are changing and we should not stand still. I agree with him that this gay thing should not the only focus for Christians. In Nigeria Christian nowadays join in the vises ripping our country dry (corruption, kidnapping, oppression e.t.c) and do not see or make issues out of it. Lets focus on the issues the should change our lives and all the other vises will disappear.

12 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by declaro(m): 1:12am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
BY TRUDY RING

Bishop Raúl Vera

[size=38pt]Please provide us source. It is not true[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by gbaskipro: 1:15am On Jul 16, 2014
There is God oooooo* 1st page tinz
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 1:15am On Jul 16, 2014
What's he even saying? What even concern me? - aint judging no1...just waiting for that day. Then we would all know what's eternally right/wrong...till then, amma just live my life worthy of emulation. Sé fínì.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by publicenemy(m): 1:16am On Jul 16, 2014
The bishop reads his Bible upside down abi?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by spinna: 1:16am On Jul 16, 2014

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 16, 2014
kenclark2001: let's equate all sins equally.

Exactly!

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Atmmachine(m): 1:17am On Jul 16, 2014
They are really sick.. why would someone fork holes full of shits with his dicckk shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by amnestylaw1(m): 1:18am On Jul 16, 2014
“Understand that sexuality is as wide as the sea. Understand that your morality is not law. Understand that we are you. Understand that if we decide to have sex whether safe, safer, or unsafe, it is our decision and you have no rights in our lovemaking.”
― Derek Jarman

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by sakaguchi(m): 1:18am On Jul 16, 2014
I think most Nigerians are homophobic. Look at my post on nairaland before, I don't homosexuality and I know (not think), I know it is bad. I believed it should be illegal and criminalised. I support the 14 year jail sentence here.

But as Christians, let us remember that woman caught in the act of adultery. "Though shall not commit adultery" is one of the 10 commandments, yet, Jesus christ showed her love while himself condemning adultery. Note, he didn't condemn the sinner. He even said anybody who looks at anybody lustfully is guilty of adultery yet he never condemned the woman.

Let us not play God. I think it is bad for us to close the church away from gays?

I also think it is bad not to preach against it.

This man may be preaching against the act we don't know. But since he's a Catholic Bishop, you'll expect him to preach against the act. Homosexuality is a sin, nothing changes that. Let the church embrace all sinners and increase its voice preaching against sin.

Any catholic who is not happy with that can go and protest and form his own new church. People have being protesting (protestant) and it will not be new? The stance of the church about homosexuality is clear for all to see, as a matter of fact, no other religion, church, organisation or group are more attacked for their stance against homosexuality than the Catholic church, though they will try, Jesus christ promise the church that the gate of hell shall not prevail against it.

22 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by lepasharon(f): 1:24am On Jul 16, 2014
Christianity of today ? grin...A big JOKE ! This is why im not a christian.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Folu Adeboye's 68th Birthday Pictures / Nigerian Pastor Attempting To Heal A Mad Woman (Video) / The God Of A Second Chance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.