Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,889 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:57 AM

Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? (7592 Views)

The Girl- Child's Right Of Inheritance (in Igbo Land) / Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? / Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:54am On Jul 16, 2014
Alleinad: If a person comes from a family where the inheritance is given to the person at a certain age, say 25, then by all means such a person shud hinge their future around it. However if a person comes from a family where somebody has to die for them to get inheritance, pls go out and get a life of your own before the devil makes you start plotting peoples death just to get inheritance.

The main thing is that one should work hard for his/her money and inculcate the right values like hard-work, humility and honesty in our children.

For Estate planning purpose is it a good idea to start a gradual passing down of your assets for your children when they get to certain age, this will be determined by the competence, skill and experience of the child in money management.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2014
marymark126: Well, opinion differs. But quite frankly, I do not think anyone should lazily depend on family inheritance when they have all the opportunity to build their own empire.

And talking of building your own empire where you are financially stable and self-reliant with a fat bank account and fat wallet,

Do you know you can reliably make N470,000 Monthly and N4,000 Daily into your bank account without disappointment?

No messing around. N4,000 guaranteed everyday!

Get started right away, request details from: marymark126@gmail.com

Kindly share the details with us.

But from my experience in investment and money management, if it is too good to be true then it MAY not be true.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2014
pheesayor:

The bolded is the problem, [b]people these days just lazy around [/b]because there's an inheritance somewhere for them, eventually they squander all

The parents did a poor job in inculcating the right values in their children.

There was a time when Rockefeller was the richest American, but he still made his children who were in High school to raise rabbit and other live-stocks and sell them. He did this in order to train them on how $1 can be grown to a $1000 in a couple of years.

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
sunnyshayne: It's pure evil for one to relax wishing his parents dead just to feast on what will be inherited. One should labour for his or herself, so that they will be competent and capable to shoulder whatever comes their way when the worst happens.

A parent does not have to die before gradually transferring his assets to his children, provided you have given them the right education, good values and equipped them to be independently minded.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by mapist(m): 12:11pm On Jul 16, 2014
sexyseun: Na today?
Family inheritance has been in existence since the days of old.
Genesis 25:5 Abraham gave everything he owned to his son Isaac.
Check out the Ford Family, Walton family, Arnault family, Glazer family.. I can go on and on.
Even Pastor Joel Osteen of the largest church in America inherited his father's church(Lakewood church)
There is absolutely nothing wrong in inheriting your family's wealth, its just better if you can make it more better

If my papa na Dangote or Adenuga, Where u think say i go dey work?? Skyebank or Aiico Insurance angry

Pls ff me back..sent a mail to Your yahoomail and m yet to gt a rply.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Guidette(f): 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
I dont believe in inheritance. And i have told my father that. Inheritance should be for children whose parents died before they could finish university or make it on their own. I believe that once a child becomes an adult he/she should be able to fend for themselves and let their parents enjoy their money and be comfortable in old age. Inheritances especially large ones make children lazy and they often squander the wealth of the parents because they didnt work hard for it.
My dad is rich. He has land and businesses worth over hundereds of millions of naira but when i finish med school, i want none of it because i dont need it. I have told him i want to be richer and more powerful than him and without his money. Even if he dies tomorrow, the money i will need from him will be just enough to cover my tuition and living expenses. After that, nothing else. smiley

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2014
emmanuelewumi:

Dangote is what he is because of the work done by his grand father. Read the history of First Bank of Nigeria, there was a time when his grand father was the biggest customer of the bank.

There is nothing bad in laying a good financial foundation for our children.
But Dangote didn't rely on his grandfather's wealth did he? He created his own, the point is not relying on the inheritance even if you inherit, WORK for yours.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2014
IfyAngela:
But Dangote didn't rely on his grandfather's wealth did he? He created his own, the point is not relying on the inheritance even if you inherit, WORK for yours.

That was why I said we should give our children good education and the right values. The problem is not with inheritance, but lack of the right value.

The right values include hard-work, honesty, humility and lots more.

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Akalia(m): 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2014
emmanuelewumi:

I have a friend who inherited N 6million worth of shares from his late father in 2002. He was a poorly paid civil engineer in 2002, he used part of his inheritance to establish a civil engineering/ construction company in 2003.
Today the guy handles multi-million naira real estate contracts in South West Nigeria, and has done very well for himself.
that's wat am talking about, your pal has vision and is hard working
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
emmanuelewumi:

That was why I said we should give our children good education and the right values. The problem is not with inheritance, but lack of the right value.

Whether you got an inheritance from parents or not, lack of the right values will make one a pauper.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
Akalia: that's wat am talking about, your pal has vision and is hard working

Because he has the right values. The problem is not with inheritance, but lack of the right values. Money does not grow on trees, but you have to work hard for it.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by deebsman1(m): 12:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
fijiano202: Guy if my papa na babagida or atiku pls why would i stress myself for a useless job where my boss is freaking insultive

go and check 1ce more, all Babangida's children are working, both male and females....just that it's at d very highest level same with 90% of other rich men. like d yoruba pipu will say " ase kun l'owo" i.e. no mata what, u add or at least maintain what you meet on the ground
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by mascot87(m): 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2014
Dygeasy: It's easier said than done.

Let the people from rich families come on this thread and say NO.

All of you saying NO, are you from wealthy families? Is there something for you to inherit? If you're not wearing the shoes, how would you know if it fits or not?

U make sense die "if u're not wearing the shoes, how would u know if it fits or not " gbam cool
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by loswhite(m): 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2014
snowland: Why should your future depend on what someone else labored for? I read someone above saying if his/her father is IBB or Atiku, why should he/she go through stress from an insultive boss, I want you to know that what you do not work or labour for, you will NEVER value. Yoruba will say Ile ti a f'ito mon, Iri ni yio wo ( A house built with a pinch of saliva will crumble under the sprinkle of dew).

Anyways, check my signature for the best ways to make money effortlessly. It is exclusively explosive. Check it out.[b][/b]
is there anything wrong in joining d family bizness. If ur father is dangote will u go and work 4 another person?
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
such ppl are nothing but lazy bones. My parents worked hard to acquire their wealth so wat stops me from followin suit? It then means my unborn children will also be feastin on their grannies fortune; olorun maje. Mbok my 'own' na my 'own' oo
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Missy89(f): 1:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
Rich families like Rockefeller , Rothschild, DuPont etc do leave money for their kids and pass it across generation, yet they have kids that are successful in their individual lives and not spoilt by having a lot of money given to them. In fact the wealth made it easier for them to acquire more .the most important thing is how they were brought up.They were trained on how to be shrewd businessmen and women and those families have a long term plan on how to keep their money within their family and wont hesitate to cut off a member that wont live by those principles.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by shadowwalker101: 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2014
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 16, 2014
emmanuelewumi:

Yeah, so true
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
Guidette: I dont believe in inheritance. And i have told my father that. Inheritance should be for children whose parents died before they could finish university or make it on their own. I believe that once a child becomes an adult he/she should be able to fend for themselves and let their parents enjoy their money and be comfortable in old age. Inheritances especially large ones make children lazy and they often squander the wealth of the parents because they didnt work hard for it.
My dad is rich. He has land and businesses worth over hundereds of millions of naira but when i finish med school, i want none of it because i dont need it. I have told him i want to be richer and more powerful than him and without his money. Even if he dies tomorrow, the money i will need from him will be just enough to cover my tuition and living expenses. After that, nothing else. smiley
grin
Are you for real? So if your dad gives his millions to charity it won't upset you at all?
Hmmm. Hard to believe.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2014
There is something called ( Generational Wealth ) and that is lacking in Nigeria. Where are the Odutolas, Ojukwus, Abiolas and so many families today ?. There is nothing wrong in inheriting family wealth if the children can improve on it. We have families here in US that have been wealthy for over 10 generations like the Vanderbilts, Fords, Du Ponts, and others. The richest family in the world is the Walton's of the famous WalMart stores. We have The Koch's family and so many others. My point is that inheriting family wealth is not the problem, people should build on it for the next generations to come to immortalize the family names.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2014
@topic,
Bikonu o! Me I want inheritance well well tongue
grin
I'm not saying hinge your destiny on it though, that's just risky since anything could happen to the money.
Also I agree with the opinion that having inheritance to fall back on tends to make people lazy.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Valto(m): 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
only lazy people would angry
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
mapist:

Pls ff me back..sent a mail to Your yahoomail and m yet to gt a rply.
WTF! why r u stalking me? if i dont respond to either your mails or your wack advances wont your common sense reason that i dont fcking want to?
going through all your post, all you do is to ask girls to fllw u on this, fllw u on that, are u sick or something? Better respect yourself cowboy, I no well ooooooo
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Alleinad(f): 3:36pm On Jul 16, 2014
emmanuelewumi:

The main thing is that one should work hard for his/her money and inculcate the right values like hard-work, humility and honesty in our children.

For Estate planning purpose is it a good idea to start a gradual passing down of your assets for your children when they get to certain age, this will be determined by the competence, skill and experience of the child in money management.
I believe in raising a child in the way he should go. I knw some kids will still rebel but they are not as many as those who will follow your counsel. If u teach them from childhood, you won't hv a problem with how they handle money later on.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by sosiqdude(m): 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2014
IfyAngela:

ify you made a nice point there...i like your point....
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2014
sosiqdude:

ify you made a nice point there...i like your point....
thanks
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by sosiqdude(m): 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2014
IfyAngela:
thanks

angela your welcome....i like your sense of humor....

I think you special
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Guidette(f): 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2014
fellis:
grin
Are you for real? So if your dad gives his millions to charity it won't upset you at all?
Hmmm. Hard to believe.
Charity with a good cause is better than me buying diamonds, unnecessary trips overseas, cars, houses and other material things. I will respect him a lot more if he does something like that. My dad has given me everything monetarily I can ever wish for. If he can help other people in his death, I will be even more proud of him.
His wealth does not concern me. I am trying to build my empire now.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by ade2008(m): 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
Dygeasy: It's easier said than done.

Let the people from rich families come on this thread and say NO.

All of you saying NO, are you from wealthy families? Is there something for you to inherit? If you're not wearing the shoes, how would you know if it fits or not?
. Yes easier said than done.its even easier to make it further in live when u inherit things than been born into poverty. Most billionaires are born into wealth
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
Guidette:
Charity with a good cause is better than me buying diamonds, unnecessary trips overseas, cars, houses and other material things. I will respect him a lot more if he does something like that. My dad has given me everything monetarily I can ever wish for. If he can help other people in his death, I will be even more proud of him.
His wealth does not concern me. I am trying to build my empire now.

Good to know.

But I still find it difficult to believe.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by mapist(m): 9:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
sexyseun: WTF! why r u stalking me? if i dont respond to either your mails or your wack advances wont your common sense reason that i dont fcking want to?
going through all your post, all you do is to ask girls to fllw u on this, fllw u on that, are u sick or something? Better respect yourself cowboy, I no well ooooooo

Lol..tanks for d diss and u need to note that,I havnt been stalking u bt trying to ensure u did get my mails and I don't wanna blv ur judging me based on my old messages cos,if we are to b judged based on dat,den OMG,I wonder where u'd b at and moreso,its all over ur reply that u talk too much,ur immatured and a living proof to all d rubbish pple v written abt u on ur various topics.well,I don't blame u,I just blame myself for trying to hook up cos,if I dint buzz u rlia,u wouldn't av taken dose near useless fingaz of urs to type this rubbish u wrote thinking u wrote sth.just take a look at u.a gal using d F word and all dat..u betta wake up.ur in Naija and not d States..smh for u.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by daveP(m): 10:00pm On Jul 16, 2014
Hmm.well it is these 'fellows' (polithiefcians)that wanto setup a foundation for their 'generations unborn' that are in return doing the very educational system a great disservice. They buy certificates and VC's enjoy in the largese.whereas some1 that sweated out phd is on equal terms with Dangote,Tinubu jst in a sec of 'money change hands'
to me its nt good idea.but the receiver has no choice than to 'manage' it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Oba Of Benin Is A Yoruba Man. / MY EXPERIENCE AT A BURIAL CEREMONY IN IGBOLAND!!! / The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.