Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,959 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs (845 Views)

NMA President Resigns!!!!!!!! / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Jonathan Moves To Prevent Doctors' Strike (Meets With NMA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by firedup: 11:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
NMA President Ignorant of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurses

As the Health sector crises continues, Nigerian Nurses have taken to social media on Medicalworld Nigeria to express their utter bewildment at the ignorance displayed on national television by the NMA President Dr. Obembe on Standard Infection control precautions.

The Nurses were reacting to comments credited to the NMA President where he stated "I gave an example before when i was demonstrating, i finished operating in an hospital in scotland and when i removed my glove the nurse who was asisting me in the theatre told me that gloove should come from my hand to her hand. that was her job. Your gloove cannot just go to the floor or to the DUSTBIN. thats what i am paid for. she said if you start droping it in the DUSTBIN the NHS would sack me and they would say am no longer useful for that job"

In a torrent of messages sent to Medicalworld Nigeria, The nurses termed his comments as derogatory and wondered how he lacked basic knowledge on how to dispose a gloove wondering if he intended droping his gloove on the floor before the nurse offered to show his how to discard a used gloove.

According to the NHS Professionals: Standard Infection Control Precautions Scope of Guidance Page 11: "Used gloves should never be placed on environmental surfaces, but disposed of safely and IMMEDIATELY following use, as clinical waste, into appropriate receptacles" Thus the nurses wondered how a colleagues hands has become an "appropriate Receptacle" for his glooves.

Majority of the nurses comments were also related to his continued reference to "DUST BIN" as a dust bin had no place in a sterile theatre where Dr obembe claimed to have done an operation.

In a swift reaction, the Forum for Local Government Nurses and Midwives Chairman Lateef-Yusuf has Reacted to the NMA Presidents Derogatory Comments describing it as obnoxious. In a statement issued to Medicalworld Nigeria he remarked that:

These are some of the issues on ground wherein an abusive, offensive, undisciplined and uncouth individual, of the stone age will imply that Nurses are mere servants to Doctors and get away with it.

It is sad that a group of highly intelligent persons will have a moronic,over-fed, pot-bellied fool as it's leader. Nurses know their worth and roles and thus cannot be intimidated by an indecent, ego- driven and pampered nonentity seeking attention.

Nurses will not accept or tolerate such abusive behavior from any quarter as demonstrated by Dr. Obembe.
Imagine a man from whom people expect a well behaved and disciplined leader belittling, and insulting Nurses, aired live on television with the intention of making Nurses feel like the bottom of the food chain.

This must be challenged by our parent body and a retraction obtained from him.
Be that as it may, It will take more than a prejudiced and unprincipled bigot to get to us. We are still in charge of our clients, standing resolute and unmoved.

In the interest of industrial harmony in the health sector, the government should call Dr. Obembe and his likes to order.
Change is dynamic, and a time is coming in the nearest future when doctors will work on their own and Nurses too will do their work without dancing to the tune of silly individuals who see themselves as God just because they bear the title of GP.
He concluded by saying :it is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by allycat: 4:37am On Jul 16, 2014
I'm sorry someone took offense when a surgeon described how things were done elsewhere and took it as an insult to nurses. There is something called assisted gowning and gloving and that involves the circulating nurse actually putting the gown and gloves on the surgeon,all the surgeon does is stretch out his hand for her or him. This is the standard I saw abroad for most major head and neck surgeries. Unfortunately back home many nurses would think it insultive that a surgeon expects them to dress him up for surgery. It was only after a foreign team of doctors and nurses came to do some surgeries in my local teaching hospital about 2 months ago and our peri op nurses saw this being done that one actually asked me if she should gown me before surgery. I was pleasantly surprised. I know there are many who do this but the vast majority of our nurses would see it as an insult to be asked to put on a surgeons gloves after all the surgeon has hands. What happens to a lot of Nigerian surgeons outside is that we are so used to doing some things by ourselves that when we go outside and try and do the same we are corrected by their nurses because the nursing protocol there is different. You hand your gloves over to the nurse not because she is inferior but because she has to do a count after each case and make sure every consumable from needles to swabs to gloves are accounted for.
I work in a teaching hospital and I can't tell you the number of times I have done emergency surgeries with my house officer or resident acting as my scrub nurse it's not because there is no scrub nurse available. For some reason they will come in and ask "doctor do you need me". Once you ask that question I say no, to me it means you don't want to do that case. I don't believe any trained peri op nurse thinks it is right for a surgeon to operate without a scrub nurse, no matter how small the case is. It just appears to me that the person who asks that has other things to do and I cannot force an unwilling person to be part of my surgery and mess it up for me.

2 Likes

Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:18am On Jul 16, 2014
JOHESU is nothing but a collection of petty people ...datsall ! See , what small minds have made of Dr Obembes narrative of one of many of his experiences as a young medical doctor years ago ! I shake my head for the black man .
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:26am On Jul 16, 2014
firedup: NMA President Ignorant of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurses

As the Health sector crises continues, Nigerian Nurses have taken to social media on Medicalworld Nigeria to express their utter bewildment at the ignorance displayed on national television by the NMA President Dr. Obembe on Standard Infection control precautions.

The Nurses were reacting to comments credited to the NMA President where he stated "I gave an example before when i was demonstrating, i finished operating in an hospital in scotland and when i removed my glove the nurse who was asisting me in the theatre told me that gloove should come from my hand to her hand. that was her job. Your gloove cannot just go to the floor or to the DUSTBIN. thats what i am paid for. she said if you start droping it in the DUSTBIN the NHS would sack me and they would say am no longer useful for that job"

In a torrent of messages sent to Medicalworld Nigeria, The nurses termed his comments as derogatory and wondered how he lacked basic knowledge on how to dispose a gloove wondering if he intended droping his gloove on the floor before the nurse offered to show his how to discard a used gloove.

According to the NHS Professionals: Standard Infection Control Precautions Scope of Guidance Page 11: "Used gloves should never be placed on environmental surfaces, but disposed of safely and IMMEDIATELY following use, as clinical waste, into appropriate receptacles" Thus the nurses wondered how a colleagues hands has become an "appropriate Receptacle" for his glooves.

Majority of the nurses comments were also related to his continued reference to "DUST BIN" as a dust bin had no place in a sterile theatre where Dr obembe claimed to have done an operation.

In a swift reaction, the Forum for Local Government Nurses and Midwives Chairman Lateef-Yusuf has Reacted to the NMA Presidents Derogatory Comments describing it as obnoxious. In a statement issued to Medicalworld Nigeria he remarked that:

These are some of the issues on ground wherein an abusive, offensive, undisciplined and uncouth individual, of the stone age will imply that Nurses are mere servants to Doctors and get away with it.

It is sad that a group of highly intelligent persons will have a moronic,over-fed, pot-bellied fool as it's leader. Nurses know their worth and roles and thus cannot be intimidated by an indecent, ego- driven and pampered nonentity seeking attention.

Nurses will not accept or tolerate such abusive behavior from any quarter as demonstrated by Dr. Obembe.
Imagine a man from whom people expect a well behaved and disciplined leader belittling, and insulting Nurses, aired live on television with the intention of making Nurses feel like the bottom of the food chain.

This must be challenged by our parent body and a retraction obtained from him.
Be that as it may, It will take more than a prejudiced and unprincipled bigot to get to us. We are still in charge of our clients, standing resolute and unmoved.

In the interest of industrial harmony in the health sector, the government should call Dr. Obembe and his likes to order.
Change is dynamic, and a time is coming in the nearest future when doctors will work on their own and Nurses too will do their work without dancing to the tune of silly individuals who see themselves as God just because they bear the title of GP.
He concluded by saying :it is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.

...a time is coming when when doctors will do their work alone and nurses will do their work independent of doctors? Its now clear the wishes of our JOHESU . They don't have patient care at heart , only an unhealthy rivalry with doctors whom they have always envied .
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by pembisco(m): 7:24am On Jul 16, 2014
haba! This man shuldnt hv made such coments in dis period of crises, what hapnd to diplomacy? For a man of his age nd position to hv dis kind of ego atitude is alarming. We shuld learn to respect pple's job witout mokery. This man shuld hv bn d 1 uniting ol health wokers bt it seems he's d opposite. Rememba ol diz ar vanity.
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by eby001(m): 8:09am On Jul 16, 2014
I can sense frustration written all over dr, sorry mr Yusuf's comment.
Dr obembe stated where he was corrected by a nurse on air, which i think you nurses should be proud of. Now to the term 'dust bin' which is a simple term the general public can understand; If he had pass is message across using the obayagbon style, you'll be the 1st group to label him 'proud and arrogant'.JOHESU is a double-faced monster.
~the devil we know before is better than the angel we've never seen before~
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by Morotov1(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2014
allycat: I'm sorry someone took offense when a surgeon described how things were done elsewhere and took it as an insult to nurses. There is something called assisted gowning and gloving and that involves the circulating nurse actually putting the gown and gloves on the surgeon,all the surgeon does is stretch out his hand for her or him. This is the standard I saw abroad for most major head and neck surgeries. Unfortunately back home many nurses would think it insultive that a surgeon expects them to dress him up for surgery. It was only after a foreign team of doctors and nurses came to do some surgeries in my local teaching hospital about 2 months ago and our peri op nurses saw this being done that one actually asked me if she should gown me before surgery. I was pleasantly surprised. I know there are many who do this but the vast majority of our nurses would see it as an insult to be asked to put on a surgeons gloves after all the surgeon has hands. What happens to a lot of Nigerian surgeons outside is that we are so used to doing some things by ourselves that when we go outside and try and do the same we are corrected by their nurses because the nursing protocol there is different. You hand your gloves over to the nurse not because she is inferior but because she has to do a count after each case and make sure every consumable from needles to swabs to gloves are accounted for.
I work in a teaching hospital and I can't tell you the number of times I have done emergency surgeries with my house officer or resident acting as my scrub nurse it's not because there is no scrub nurse available. For some reason they will come in and ask "doctor do you need me". Once you ask that question I say no, to me it means you don't want to do that case. I don't believe any trained peri op nurse thinks it is right for a surgeon to operate without a scrub nurse, no matter how small the case is. It just appears to me that the person who asks that has other things to do and I cannot force an unwilling person to be part of my surgery and mess it up for me.
The illustrations you used is a daily occurrence because of the disharmony among the team members.

So coming to the article.........
Do you hand over your soiled gloves to a nurse or your house officers or resident after surgery or any procedure or drop it on the floor as the doctor claimed ? Or do you dispose it into the receptacle made for it.

The article is emphasising on the lack of infection control protocols on the part of the doctor , he made that remark ignorantly as a derogatory statement but the content is wrong.
@ topic, Instead of taking corrections as appropriate, this will degrade to personal and professional insult as usual.NMA and JOHESU warlords thumb up in anticipation for what will happen on this thread.
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by Tobbie9(m): 10:53am On Jul 16, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

...a time is coming when when doctors will do their work alone and nurses will do their work independent of doctors? Its now clear the wishes of our JOHESU . They don't have patient care at heart , only an unhealthy rivalry with doctors whom they have always envied .
Guy u just dey know, what they want is anarchy in d sector unfortunately when people start dropping dead as a result stup*d Nigerians will start blaming doctors
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by drered(m): 11:46am On Jul 16, 2014
This will turn to an NMA vs. JOHESU thing. Didn't watch the interview so I'll reserve my comments..
Re: NMA President Ignorant Of Standard Infection Control Precautions - Nigerian Nurs by allycat: 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
I don't see anywhere in the original post where he said he was going to drop it on the floor. What i read says was that the nurse said he should hand them over to her and not dispose of them himself. Or am I reading a different article.

(1) (Reply)

At Last, Researchers Find HIV/AIDS POTENTIAL cure. / Breaking News Ebola Cure Discoveredbitter Kola To The Rescue? - Scientists Revea / Breaking: Nigeria Records Another Case Of Ebola Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.