Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,170 members, 7,780,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:43 AM

10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] (29291 Views)

Breath Taking Pictures Of Nature And Beautiful Places / Bruce Lee lightning punch.(2d) / The Most Impressive Thing To Hit Abuja And Lagos In 2009 Now Unfolds. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by 1shortblackboy: 11:49am On Jul 18, 2014
pigin: poVerty mentality, in the western world. everybody has camera n also affordable up there just like akara down HERE.
shatap there. U wan tell me say u Sabi sontin abt western world. So people for there no get another tin to do. A storm is coming and person sidon carry camera face building. Do u know d chances of a lightning striking at that particular building ?

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Jasi7(m): 11:55am On Jul 18, 2014
dhammyg: OP MANY OF THESE PHOTOS LOOK LIKE THEY WERE ALTERED.THEY DON'T APPEAR REAL TO MEundecided

Walahi...so i tot too!
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
1shortblackboy: shatap there. U wan tell me say u Sabi sontin abt western world. So people for there no get another tin to do. A storm is coming and person sidon carry camera face building. Do u know d chances of a lightning striking at that particular building ?
actually the chances are high if its a very tall building thats why tall buildings are required to have lightning rods-pardon my spelling

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by CharlieMaria(m): 1:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
TribalEAST: They are all ungodly monuments, ebven the christ the redeemer statue
The Statue of Christ your God is ungodly?SMH for you.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by piagetskinner(m): 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
One struck a hut near my house nd it went up in flames...y is it not here?
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by deloon(m): 2:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
chaberry: Na wao, this one nah wonder.. First 2 comment oo, i don dey target this thing tey tey, oya oga seun wire the FTC money into my account, bleep me make i send u my acct nmb
Bleep you?! grin
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by GooseBaba: 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
CharlieMaria:
The Statue of Christ your God is ungodly?SMH for you.

The great idol worshipper shocked shocked.... I hail oooh.! grin grin
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
Many of this pictures look photo shopped. Did someone actually plant a camera at the Grand Canyon to see what
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by p2t2r(m): 3:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
HARDUBUY: Pls when will lightning strike our government houses......especially that one called Aso Rock?...It might just correct their anomaly and impunity!
don't worry, the day you'll go to aso rock, na thunder go k!ll you there.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by soonpoint(m): 3:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
1shortblackboy: so the photographer just Sidon near this famous structures hoping to snap a lightning bolt hit them. then finally it happened and he was ready with his camera at the right moment... if I hear!

No be so na. Y u dey talk like this. Sebi na lightning call the photographer say make him ready at so so so time say him go strike so so so place. Na him d photo man run go dia snap. Na wa for u sef..lwkmd
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
1shortblackboy: shatap there. U wan tell me say u Sabi sontin abt western world. So people for there no get another tin to do. A storm is coming and person sidon carry camera face building. Do u know d chances of a lightning striking at that particular building ?
soonpoint: No be so na. Y u dey talk like this. Sebi na lightning call the photographer say make him ready at so so so time say him go strike so so so place. Na him d photo man run go dia snap. Na wa for u sef..lwkmd
Lightning strikes the tallest thing in the area, especially metal structures. So yes, they know what it is likely to be struck.

Nigerian natural science curriculum appears to have been replaced with Bible study.

feran14:
actually the chances are high if its a very tall building thats why tall buildings are required to have lightning rods-pardon my spelling
Thank you for defending the reputation of Nigerians. We are not all ignorant.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by osi2345(m): 4:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
I think it's basic physics... lightening strikes the highest point in a given space. and look at all dose pics.. what's common to dem all? Dey all tall structures.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by elampiro(m): 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2014
Don't you people read news? These are very real. At least, I read about three of them when they happen as they were reported around the world. I remember vividly about the Vatican City and Statue in Brazil. The Christ the redeemer statue was repaired during the world cup.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by elampiro(m): 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
Did Lightning Really Strike Vatican After Pope's Resignation?

February 12, 2013; 9:40 AM

News hit the Net yesterday afternoon that lightning had struck The Vatican twice, just hours after Pope after Pope Benedict XVI's sudden resignation. As a lightning photographer and weather photo hoax buster, I investigated to see if the photo was real.

When the picture first started circulating on Facebook, Meteonetwork Puglia e Basilicata ONLUS (a division of Associazione MeteoNetwork Onlus) and commenting members of the Facebook page thought that the photo might be faked (loose internet translation here), because the strike didn't seem to reflect on the dome, because it didn't seem to make close contact with it, and because there was no reflection on the wet street below (see annotated image). Since many photos you see on Social Media are faked, or at least re-purposed, I was immediately suspicious as well.

However, when it was announced later in the day that the photographer was an Italian professional photographer Filippo Monteforte, the photo was transmitted by AFP, and BBC ran a video of the lightning strike, this quelled most of the controversy. If you look closely in the video (embedded above), you can see something I've noticed dozens of times when filming lightning -- the initial stroke of lightning is often too bright and overexposes the photo. But lightning strikes through its channel rapidly, dozens of times, and the last few strokes (what we see as "fading"wink provide the opportunity to get a clear shot of the bolt, with minimal reflection on nearby surfaces. For this reason, I believe the photo is plausible, and since it was taken by a professional, with potential video to back it up, I'd say that the photo is legitimate.

GET MORE OF MY UPDATES! FOLLOW ME ON...

Archived lightning strike data is not easy to come by in foreign countries, but certainly multiple Facebook users viewing the photo confirmed that a thunderstorm was present in Rome Monday afternoon, on the edge of a powerful storm system that brought snow to much of the country. A request to the Worldwide Lightning Network didn't turn up any lightning data, but they don't measure 100% of lightning. CORRECTION 5 PM: An amended request did confirm lightning in the area. Most importantly, official weather observations from CIAMPINO Ciampino, Rome, do indicate that there was a thunderstorm for approximately 3 hours in Rome yesterday:
http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/did-lightning-really-strike-vatican-after-popes-resignation/6050437
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
HARDUBUY: Pls when will lightning strike our government houses......especially that one called Aso Rock?...It might just correct their anomaly and impunity!
The day you become president or vice president or even a staff of the Villa exactly.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by elampiro(m): 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
Workers conclude repairs on Brazil's Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio following storm damage

Published July 11, 2014

Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO –  Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue has been fitted with new gear to protect it from future storms.

Rio de Janeiro Archbishop Orani Tempesta on Friday presided over a ceremony marking the end of repairs that were made to the 98-foot-tall (30-meter-tall) hilltop figure.

ADVERTISEMENT

The repair project began six months ago after lightning damaged two fingers on the statue as well as its head. Crews installed new lightning rods as part of the $850,000 project.

Tourists were able to visit the statue during the repair work. The site's spectacular views of Rio make it one of Brazil's most popular attractions.

The statue was inaugurated in 1931 and underwent a $4 million renovation in 2010.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/11/workers-conclude-repairs-on-brazil-christ-redeemer-statue-in-rio-following/
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by elampiro(m): 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
Warlord3000: Abeg wetin com happen to the Brazil Christ the redeemer statue as u talk say lightning break the hand..

Cos the hand wey I see for Sunday world cup final dey kampe ooo..

I guess dem join am back wink

Workers conclude repairs on Brazil's Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio following storm damage

Published July 11, 2014

Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO –  Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue has been fitted with new gear to protect it from future storms.

Rio de Janeiro Archbishop Orani Tempesta on Friday presided over a ceremony marking the end of repairs that were made to the 98-foot-tall (30-meter-tall) hilltop figure.

ADVERTISEMENT

The repair project began six months ago after lightning damaged two fingers on the statue as well as its head. Crews installed new lightning rods as part of the $850,000 project.

Tourists were able to visit the statue during the repair work. The site's spectacular views of Rio make it one of Brazil's most popular attractions.

The statue was inaugurated in 1931 and underwent a $4 million renovation in 2010.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/11/workers-conclude-repairs-on-brazil-christ-redeemer-statue-in-rio-following/

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by pheyikemi: 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
kolawaxxy: the pictures were not shot to impress you
And I don't remember asking you if it was shot to impress me or not. Amebo!
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by CharlieMaria(m): 8:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
GooseBaba:

The great idol worshipper shocked shocked.... I hail oooh.! grin grin
If you call me Idol worshipper what then will you call Joshua in the book of Joshua 7:7? Where he prostrated before the ark of the covenant that has on it the moulded statue of two cherubs? Think to yourself.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by bamite(m): 10:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
nikkypearl: Seen!
y d bum shorts
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by GooseBaba: 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
CharlieMaria:
If you call me Idol worshipper what then will you call Joshua in the book of Joshua 7:7? Where he prostrated before the ark of the covenant that has on it the moulded statue of two cherubs? Think to yourself.

So you learned from another idol worshipper (Joshua the covenant prostrator on how to glorify objects...

Say it loud and proud...! charlie the idol worshipper.. grin
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by CharlieMaria(m): 3:31am On Jul 19, 2014
GooseBaba:

So you learned from another idol worshipper (Joshua the covenant prostrator on how to glorify objects...

Say it loud and proud...! charlie the idol worshipper.. grin
You are confused brother. I worship idol with Joshua, what do you worship?
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by tomiobj(m): 9:28am On Jul 19, 2014
TribalEAST: the word of God said we shouldn't mould statues in representation of anything in heaven and on earth.
. Wow. Please where is it in the bible would like to read more on it
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Slam15(m): 9:41am On Jul 19, 2014
Guys don't be criticizers. Don't just judge what you don't know. I just browsed about some of them coz i don't ve tym to go over al of em and i confirmed em to be through. The only thin their is that,some of colour effect where brought out 4 u to c clearly bt nothing was altered. Keep it up man.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Slam15(m): 9:44am On Jul 19, 2014
Guys don't be criticizers. Don't just judge what you don't know. I just browsed about some of them coz i don't ve tym to go over al of em and i confirmed em to be true. The only thin there is that,some of colour light bolt brightnes effect where brought out 4 u to c clearly bt nothing was altered. Keep it up man.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by GooseBaba: 2:32pm On Jul 19, 2014
CharlieMaria:
You are confused brother. I worship idol with Joshua, what do you worship?

I'm not your brother..one that refers to a statue as the image of his god and uses the word confused is not part of my lineage... Tufiakwa!!!

I worship my consciousness...
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by CharlieMaria(m): 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
GooseBaba:

I'm not your brother..one that refers to a statue as the image of his god and uses the word confused is not part of my lineage... Tufiakwa!!!

I worship my consciousness...
You worship your consciousness? You commit a greater idolatry, for you worship yourself. SMH.
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 19, 2014
Chai... Nairalanders... You have turn this one into religious thread.... Na wa o
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by GooseBaba: 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
CharlieMaria:
You worship your consciousness? You commit a greater idolatry, for you worship yourself. SMH.

For I'm worthy of worship.... I basked in the glory of my existence and reality.

You on the other hand worship common man made objects (statues)..Tufiakwa!

Meanwhile, Explain yourself with the use of the word "commit"
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by GooseBaba: 8:54pm On Jul 19, 2014
feran14: Chai... Nairalanders... You have turn this one into religious thread.... Na wa o

Bros, no be like that.. grin He proclaimed a statue that correct thunder strike as the image of his god... All I did was hail the guy.. The next thing the guy tear me scriptures....
Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 19, 2014
GooseBaba:

Bros, no be like that.. grin He proclaimed a statue that correct thunder strike as the image of his god... All I did was hail the guy.. The next thing the guy tear me scriptures....

grin
GooseBaba:

Re: 10 Most Impressive Photos Of Lightning Striking Famous Places [PHOTOS] by CharlieMaria(m): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
GooseBaba:

For I'm worthy of worship.... I basked in the glory of my existence and reality.

You on the other hand worship common man made objects (statues)..Tufiakwa!

Meanwhile, Explain yourself with the use of the word "commit"
You are worthy of worship? I doubt you believe in the existence of One true God, One in essence and thrice in person?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Handmade Wooden Greeting Cards / My Journey To Being A Professional / Let's Proudly Show Off Mobile Photography...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.