Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,015 members, 7,806,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. (22621 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / SCREENSHOT. Rev Reinhard Bonnkie Speaks On Homosexuality. / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by VantagePoint: 2:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
kandiikane:
Then you are an ediot and you should stop spewing nonsense if you don't know your history and unwilling to learn about your history. This is not an insult. Have a good day!
What's your point?
That you're good at using foul language and taking a powder afterwards?
Your parents must be so proud.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2014
VantagePoint:
What's your point?
That you're good at using foul language and taking a powder afterwards?
Your parents must be so proud.
Your father is very proud of me. wink

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by chamboy(m): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2014
Vansnickers:

Lol!!

Go and tell them that in Russia.

Let them break that your empty head,just because you're a black man.
u don't even understand y I praise dem Russian b4 jumping into rubbish conclusion
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by cococandy(f): 2:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Or between one old fart,one disgruntled first wife and a desperate second wife willing to attach to any man no matter the cost.

I wonder why no one sees the abuse of the wife's rights in her husband bringing in another woman into the marriage.

I'm definitely not pro-gay unions but comparing it to polygamy is silly.anytime anyone does , i just look at them and wonder where they kept their brain before typing the comment.

kandiikane:

Because majority of the time polygamy in Africa is not by two or three consenting adults. It tends to be between an old fart and babies waiting for their first pube to sprout.

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by wazobiaN9(m): 2:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
CyrusLevi: Malawi growing some balls.Read the comments from the source.

Nah... Malawi losing its balls to the neo-colonialists.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by alphalpha(m): 2:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
everyone is just taking sides, making a case for their own "selfish" agenda. I wanna discuss with someone who is interested in good. hope there is such a person here.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by butterflyy(f): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:
you can't even tell me the benefit of gay law in our society
No, now tell me d harm it s ever done to our society.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by kandiikane(m): 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
cococandy: Or between one old fart,one disgruntled first wife and a desperate second wife willing to attach to any man no matter the cost.

I wonder why no one sees the abuse of the wife's rights in her husband bringing in another woman into the marriage.

I'm definitely not pro-gay unions but comparing it to polygamy is silly.anytime anyone does , i just look at them and wonder where they kept their brain before typing the comment.

Abi oo

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
Next on the list is iincest. Iincest should be allowed too.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Nigerian woman-to-woman marriage (sexuality debated)
In Igboland women who were considered exceptional in the eyes of society due to their wealth and/or social standing, and those who were past menopause could marry wives for themselves, for their husbands, for their sons, and/or for their siblings. These influential women were usually viewed as men, due to the fluidity of gender in the pre-colonial Igbo context, by marrying women their status was elevated mostly due to female husbands paying bride-price. Woman-to-woman marriage allowed for greater freedom of sexuality for the wives, they could have boyfriends, anonymous men whose only duty was to supply sperm, henceforth “male sperm donors”, and this was socially accepted. Any child they had were taken care of by their female husband, and carried her name and this was legitimate in the eyes of society.

Reading Achebe’s The Female King of Colonial Nigeria, one could be forgiven in believing that woman-to-woman marriage was unique among the Igbo of southeastern Nigeria.

It wasn’t.

This institution can be found across the African continent among various ethnic groups, with slight differences in norms and practices. Even I was surprised to discover, among the Yoruba where a widow who wanted to remain with her in-laws could marry a female relative when there were no men in the family as considerable options. In other societies, women who could not have children, and widows took wives and claimed the children their wives had as their own. In others women who did not have sons could marry a woman who would act as a daughter-in-law, in fact married to the female husband’s non-existent son. In all societies where this was practiced female husbands occupied high statuses in the community.

Anyone conversant with Igbo culture will tell you that there was NOTHING sexual between the two women involved in this type of marriage arrangement. This sort of thing happened when the "woman husband" was barren in her original marriage.

The only reason why she claims "husband" in this scenario is to have full ownership of the child that born to the acquired wife, in union with her husband. I'm not even sure that the "new" wife had any say or rights in this scenario as the children born are noted as belonging to the "woman husband" and the real husband.

This is an insurance policy for barren wives as most women who allowed outright polygamy (i.e. legitimate second wife) when they were barren lost their place in the home when the second wife gave birth to children.

Buchi Emecheta referenced this tradition in one of her novels...The Joys of Motherhood, I think.

There is no reference to actual Lesbianism or Homosexuality in Igbo culture, as far as I know.

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
chulla12:

Anyone conversant with Igbo culture will tell you that there was NOTHING sexual between the two women involved in this type of marriage arrangement. This sort of thing happened when the "woman husband" was barren in her original marriage.

The only reason why she claims "husband" in this scenario is to have full ownership of the child that born to the acquired wife, in union with her husband. I'm not even sure that the "new" wife had any say or rights in this scenario as the children born are noted as belonging to the "woman husband" and the real husband.

This is an insurance policy for barren wives as most women who allowed outright polygamy (i.e. legitimate second wife) when they were barren lost their place in the home when the second wife gave birth to children.

Buchi Emecheta referenced this tradition in one of her novels...The Joys of Motherhood, I think.

There is no reference to actual Lesbianism or Homosexuality in Igbo culture, as far as I know.

Yes. I did label it "sexuality debated", right at the top. Researchers disagree. While the purpose was not intended for sexuality, it was neither forbidden. There was nothing preventing female lovers from taking advantage of the arrangement as well as straight women.

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by diarra94(m): 3:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
EternalBeing: GOD gave each of us this short life to test us and see how we use it, for those that use it to do HIS will, even if we die, we shall be risen to live forever. Normally, Man is physical and spiritual; but the spirit of man in man is more important than the container because when it leaves, the container rottens. We strive to grow physically by going to school, striving to be richer, learning everyday till we die. Likewise, we strive to grow spiritually by praying, going to Church, communicating with GOD thru our spirits etc. Even the rich would always strive to be richer. Both the spirit and physical aspirations of man are HARDLY satisfiable. Yet most people don't give up on striving to be more knowledgeable, richer, looking betterb (growing in the physical dimension of man) but easily give up on striving to be holy (growing in the spiritual dimension of man). devil deceives people to give up on trying to be good, and simply summit to being evil. Initially, I gave up on trying to be good, I chose the evil way till the day that I realized that all GOD wants is that web keep trying, when HE comes HE will make us perfect. Even money does not easily conquer the souls of men as quicker and permanent like immorality does. It leads to dead conscience which in turn gives birth to every evil we see today : misunderstanding and war everywhere, Greed, Tribalism, Materialism, devil worship, NewWorldOrder... all end time signs fulfilled. Any moment from now JESUS... please don't leave me behind I pray, Amen!
and yet some people die very early in their life. lemme ask you this, if god is an all knowing creature, why does he create humans to test them when he already knows the result. because ultimately god knows how you will live your whole life, so why punish you even after he knew that you will commit a sin.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by grandoworld: 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
Complete show of cowardice.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
Most forms of deviant sexuality - be it incest, pedophilia, bestiality, and so forth were recorded in ancient civilization and were even elevated to a high moral status in many societies.

Homosexual pedophilia was the norm in Greece and Rome - you have grandpappys procuring prepubescent boys for themselves and calling it the ultimate form of love.

Ancient Haiwaiians considered it normal and good for adult incest to be practiced in the royal house. Brother and Sister usually fell in love and married to protect the royal bloodline. This practice was also very common in ancient Egypt (African culture, yay!).

It was also common in many cultures for young men to marry underage girls and sleep with them...most of these young girls were also of childbearing age though but it sometimes calls to question the arbitrary nature of what constitutes a fully grown woman. Why do most laws settle on 18 for a lady?

Ancient Babylonian cultures viewed bestiality as a spiritual and revered. I have seen African documentaries depicting young boys sucking the genitals of animals in some sort of cultural rites.

My point is...many people just parrot what they think is right depending on fads and the dominant culture (i.e. Modern European notion of what is right or wrong). If the script was flipped and it was decreed that homosexuality was morally wrong among according to the dominant culture, with adult incest being okay and right to practice, I'm sure that zombies here will parrot the goodness in that type of logic.

I mean, Adult Incest is a sexual relationship between two consenting adults though seen as abhorrent in many cultures. This is despite the fact that many arguments that are footed for homosexuality can be footed for this so called deviant behavior. Adult incest is more common that people think, is practiced among animals, and has been recorded as normal in many ancient cultures.

I have my own moral compass which will not be dictated by fads or hippy, trendy notions.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yes. I did label it "sexuality debated", right at the top. Researchers disagree. While the purpose was not intended for sexuality, it was neither forbidden. There was nothing preventing female lovers from taking advantage of the arrangement as well as straight women.

The bolded is just conjecture and wild imaginations based on the power dynamic in that arrangement.

This assumption would be more believable if actual forms of homosexuality among men and among women were also noted in Igbo culture.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
pazienza:

The law gives her a feeling of self righteousness and makes her feel that she and her country stands on a higher moral ground than the west and gays.

If you ask her what exactly she meant by 'un african', she would certainly answer you with answers drawn from 'un african' religions, that's the Irony.

Lol....and true story
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
Janetozi: I congratulated them when they passed the anti gay law, now that they have suspended the law, i withdraw my congratulation because the devil have conquer them *** meanwhile, fp things*** i have been running this race 4 long.

Trust me, Malawians are better off without your support
Cos your support comes from a judging place, and not from a place of love and acceptance

Try and catch up with the Golden Rule....it rocks
Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
50calibre: Some will say this is why women shouldn't lead a country more so an African woman. By nature, they lack the stomach to make the tough calls, this woman Joyce Banda has started to buckle to international pressure.

You can't blame her, such pressure cannot be withstood by the faint hearted. Now what you have in Malawi, is a president bending to the will of its foreign masters instead of that of its people.

Women should leave positions of power to men, especially the ones who lack the confidence and tenacity. African female leaders are having no impact on the continent whatsoever, they're just invisible puppets being shoved around by the west.

Homophobic...and chauvinistic too shocked
Only you!!??

Dude....you need oodles of tolerance in your heart
You have zilch
Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
laplace19: If Nigeria dares to join Malawi in this nonsense, then she should be ready to legalize murder too...

....cos I will use matchet/sharp razor blade to cut-off any dude's prick that will try this gay stuff near me...

And na thunder go fire any gay wey go quote me to type nonsense..... ndi ara

Then I guess I can answer you....since I am straight
Dude......you cannot do more than a hanging pant! (Like we used to say back then)

Your post is as a hot air balloon......filled with nothingness
You wont do all you said...not even a fraction of it....and you could not come up with a compelling argument against gays
SMH
You are grounded!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
butterflyy:
No, now tell me d harm it s ever done to our society.

it breeds f.ag.g.ot (men behaving talking, running etc like females)
its Unhealthy indulging in anal sex, that is, there is high risk of s.t.i adding to the one's we already have now
It will be the beginning of extinction of the human race, High mortality rate no low natality rate
It can increase suicide rate among Nigerian seniors because parent expecting their son to give them a grandchild will end up not getting one, which in turns can cause depression.
Your boyfriend will be likely to cheat on you with not only females friends, but with your male relatives, which can cause a mental break down for you.
etc

the list is too long

Its like increasing the problems we already such as rape, etc
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
milychocs:

Then I guess I can answer you....since I am straight
Dude......you cannot do more than a hanging pant! (Like we used to say back then)

Your post is as a hot hair balloon......filled with nothingness
You wont do all you said...not even a fraction of it....and you could not come up with a compelling argument against gays
SMH
You are grounded!!!!

what is the benefit of being gay in our society?
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by sweetgala(m): 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
IdiatFF: I think this is a wrong move for Joyce Banda and her cabinet; this is very un-African. When will African countries stop been beggar nations? Malawi has shown that it's a beggar nation by this act. It's an act of cowardice and it thus confirms what Ms Dambisa Moyo argued in her book 'Dead Aid'. Our leaders are just too lazy and very uncreative. What has Banda done to making sure Malawi moves away from depending on aid from these western countries who never mean well for her country? .. mtchew!!!!!!!!

Joyce Banda is no more Malawi president
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 5:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
Wahala90:

Mumu Advocate. But you think jail terms will change a person that involves in other crimes?
How is Homosexuality a crime?

4 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by sweetgala(m): 5:24pm On Jul 17, 2014
VantagePoint:
Say what you will, African nations consider homosexuality abhorrent and unnatural. Just as Western nations cannot condone infringing on "international human rights", we also don't condone gay relationships; it is un-African!
One might as well de-criminalize inces.t, substance abuse since it occurs between consenting, non-threatening adults.

Incest is not legally criminal, morally wrong it may be
Substance abuse however leads to anti-social behavior and so many other actions that can make an individual dangerous within society

I can't uphold the concept of homosexuality but I can not for the life of me deny the right of any individual to live a life they so choose where their actions do not endanger the lives of others in their society.

Many claims it's un-african but forget the basis of the "African" culture in many homes is their imported religious beliefs be it Christianity or Isalm , or when was the last time a sango worshiper came on TV to denounce homosexuality!

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
pazienza:

You can always say no their advances, i am sure that many girls have had to deal with your amoral advances towards them, they just like you can always say no when the attraction is not mutual.

Many goodlooking gays out there have been dealing with amorous advances of ladies out there, you don't see them killing any one about it.

I think your problem like that of many men out there, is your ego. You are used to being the predator preying on girls, you have been on top of the food chain for long, you fear that the introduction of gays into the ecosystem will turn you into the prey.

It's all funny, i mean when they say that humans are animals in my biology class, it never made sense to me then, but now,it does. *grins*
OMG,Epic post.

3 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by justiade4uu(m): 5:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
THIS IS JUST OPPORTUNITY TO PROMOTE THE PERVERTS IN MALAWI
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by sweetgala(m): 5:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
donnypool:

it breeds f.ag.g.ot (men behaving talking, running etc like females)
its Unhealthy indulging in anal sex, that is, there is high risk of s.t.i adding to the one's we already have now
It will be the beginning of extinction of the human race, High mortality rate no low natality rate
It can increase suicide rate among Nigerian seniors because parent expecting their son to give them a grandchild will end up not getting one, which in turns can cause depression.
Your boyfriend will be likely to cheat on you with not only females friends, but with your male relatives, which can cause a mental break down for you.
etc

the list is too long

Its like increasing the problems we already such as rape, etc

Have you my friend heard the term "fibs" before because that is all you have typed, bleeding c0.ck and bull cookup

2 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by CyrusLevi(m): 5:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
OkparaJesus: Can I see the faces of these homosexuals let me know what you homos looks like.....
click this profile since you obviously haven't seen one.

1 Like

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
sweetgala:

Have you my friend heard the term "fibs" before because that is all you have typed, bleeding c0.ck and bull cookup

na you sabi
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by IdiatFF(f): 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

But you earlier cited it as one of your proofs that Homosexualism is of Africa- to purposely paint the Igbo culture black with your dirty hand-, why this u-turn now? Most of all the pieces you copied and pasted, if I am not mistaken, are white writers who are out to tell you your own history and out sheer ignorance I guess- you accepted their accounts and documentations. Wait for my elaborate response to all your mis-information and gasconades.
Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
50calibre: Some will say this is why women shouldn't lead a country more so an African woman. By nature, they lack the stomach to make the tough calls, this woman Joyce Banda has started to buckle to international pressure.

You can't blame her, such pressure cannot be withstood by the faint hearted. Now what you have in Malawi, is a president bending to the will of its foreign masters instead of that of its people.

Women should leave positions of power to men, especially the ones who lack the confidence and tenacity. African female leaders are having no impact on the continent whatsoever, they're just invisible puppets being shoved around by the west.
THE PRESIDENT OF MALAWI IS NO LONGER JOYCE BANDA BUT PETER MUTHARIKA.SO THIS UR COMMENT IS NOTHING BUT SEXIST BULLSHIIT

BEING A STRONG OR GOOD LEADER IS NOT BASED ON GENDER.UR TYPES BELONG TO THE 17TH CENTURY cool

6 Likes

Re: Malawi Officially Suspends Anti-homosexuality Laws. by sweetgala(m): 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
diarra94: and yet some people die very early in their life. lemme ask you this, if god is an all knowing creature, why does he create humans to test them when he already knows the result. because ultimately god knows how you will live your whole life, so why punish you even after he knew that you will commit a sin.

Because God gave man the spirit of choice

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Dixie Wildfire Becomes The Largest In California History(Pix) / 'Sea Of Flames': 46 Killed In Taiwan Buiidling Fire / Nigerian Man Goes On Rampage In Italy, Assaults Police Officers. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.