Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,105 members, 7,807,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp (4499 Views)

Inside Cross River NYSC 'Orientation Camp' (Photos) / Photo :see What A Corper Twitted About Nysc. / Pictures From NYSC Orientation Camp In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by lexiie(f): 7:48am On Jul 17, 2014
SOURCE:http:///PgpGrDpypQ

1. Most camps don’t have toilets, so ready to improvise.

2.Your kits given to you might not be your size. so its either you swap with someone (with begging of course) or you slimfit the wears but the boots are always bigger than your given size so i advice you get to camp early enough so as to get a small size as most times the small sizes are given to people who come early.

3. I advise you to get to camp early. As the good part or utilities such as rooms, beds, kits will be given to people who get there early.

4.Do and at all cost avoid the bunks or bedspace near the doors especially the toilet as you would be inhaling some dangerous odors for 3 whole weeks . hmmm. Also the bunks or bed spaces close to the entrance door are not so cool as your belongings are prone to their happy thieves. Also when the soldiers and officials come in to chase people out you are their first targets and victim. So be wise..

5. Try and join OBS . You can sometimes escape some boring activities especially those hot afternoon parade practice…. But i would say you avoid joining band because you will be made to practice day and night.. My friend was an example. I also hear that they usually promise that those in the band will be posted to companies and town center but my dear, don’t be deceived.

6. Your luggages will be ransacked by soldiers while searching for forbidden items. So when arranging or packing your boxes know how to arrange them.

7. Queuing up should become a part of you . At camp Queue is the main thing. You queue up to bath, to fetch water, to eat , and other activities.

8. Dont over-slim fit your khaki because when you wash it , it shrinks. Be careful .

9 Lectures might be long and boring but not all .especially if you have friends you can talk to or gist with to let time fly. Funny enough its not everyone that would be able to hear what is being said. So whats the point… So make friends..

10. Just respect the soldiers and officials else camp will be a living hell experience from you .And don’t form over-familiarity with them else you calling for trouble especially the Ladies. I am sure you know what i am talking about.

11.No drugs allowed o! except you want to be sent out of camp.

12. Mosquito nets are quite useful as they can serve as a protective measure for you belongings , also they can hide you from officers incase you want to hide but its not a good id

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 17, 2014
Meeen! I hated those boring and annoying lectures.
Lecture Time was sleeping time cos I always moved around with my blanket, spread on the grass.
But The best way to avoid most activities is to form sickler.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by bigfree: 7:50am On Jul 17, 2014
op. You did not mention the box of condoms. You might getting ur Adam and Eve going, bush-men style

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by emmyw(m): 7:56am On Jul 17, 2014
Nice
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by DaGC(m): 8:06am On Jul 17, 2014
+ some camps are extremely dirty and badly managed. With tap water looking like lipton. Dettol is your friend o.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by ckhelvin: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2014
Pls OP when u talk about the restriction of drugs please try and be specific..coz no one is gona stop me from bringing in paracetamol coz I gat to be ready for the the unnecessary stress..yhu can actually say drugs like codeine without docs prescription ..
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Elnino4ladies: 5:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
Wht of weeed.?lolz.. Jst kiddin..tnks OP 4 d insightful information...
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by donwise1(m): 5:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
Boring three weeks
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by tr3y(m): 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
Camp is interesting and boring
Don't take much cloth with you to camp coz you won't be needing it.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Ik09: 8:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
Very useful information given. Here's my commentary on the points made :

Go with imodium or flagyl. There's nothing worse than developing running stomach unexpectedly.

There will be people willing to clean the toilets for a fee (the locals that run around camp). Pay them to clean a toilet/bathroom for you, and LOCK them with a padlock. If you have to give anyone the key, make them agree to flush after themselves. It's important you do this after the first Saturday because, depending on your camp, locked doors in the toilets will be forced open for the first sanitation.

Buy plain white t-shirts and shorts before going to camp. Get white trainers too (as the pair given I'm camp are fairly substandard). My trainers had a giant blue Nike swoosh and no one cared. I hear in some camps your shoes have to be plain or they'll be seized, so YMMV. Around 3-4 extra clothing pairs should be enough... Although you can get these from the mammy market.

If you can't find anyone to exchange khakis with, don't worry too much. You can easily adjust them (if they're too big) at the mammy market. You'll have to do it after your swearing in (first Thursday) though, because the tailors will extort those who rush to adjust beforehand.

Contrary to popular advice, go with normal outfits
! You won't be able to use them in camp, apart from a few hours on Sunday. However you might be stuck at your PPA for a while before obtaining leave to travel home. Have some clothing with you just in case.

Nothing to add here. Platoon leaders typically go to the first 10 to arrive camp. So if that's your cup of tea, you have to be in the vicinity of camp on the Monday.

You won't be allowed in before camp officially starts, though.

Your belongings are more likely to be picked up by opportunistic thieves if your bunk is by the door. However in most cases that's the only source of breeze at night. And yes, your hostel will get hot at night. You decide which is more important...

If you're late in getting ready, you can tell the soldiers/man o' war official chasing you out that you're in OBS. It won't work every time, but you could get some extra minutes to take your time.

Most band people are actually posted to the capital. They perform during your POP, so they need to be able to rehearse. There's even a band CDS in majority of states (as far as I'm aware). It's not worth the stress though if all you want is to be serve in the capital.

Nothing to add.

There are small children in camp that can fetch water for you, so you don't have to stand in line all the time. Pick two or three, and use them. They'll also wash your clothes for u.

Nothing to add. You'll have to wear your khaki once a week for CDS, and then once a month for clearance. Might be worth sewing another one, although it's not necessary. If the khaki you sew isn't the same shade as the one issued in camp, it doesn't really matter.

The camp lectures are useless, but not all of them. The state coordinator talks about the protocol to observe during the service year. Try to listen out for that lecture... You can safely ignore the other ones, unless something picks your fancy.

Unless you're interested, skills acquisition in camp is also a waste of time. It's your choice if you want to pay for lecture materials and/or certificate. In my experience they're fairly worthless. Don't join MDG unless you genuinely like that sort of thing.

Goes without saying. Respect camp officials, soldiers, and even the vendors in the mammy market. That's common courtesy.

However, the soldiers are not God - they still have to answer to someone.

Now, for the ladies, soldiers can not influence your PPA in any way. The camp commandant and RSM may be able to request some specific corpers to serve in the Barracks... But that rarely happens. If you're genuinely attracted to a soldier and you're Hot, then of course you can sleep with him. Don't expect any favours however.

Your platoon officers can influence your posting - as they're LGIs or ZIs etc. If serving at a particular LG is so important to you, then feel free to 'trade favours'. There's no guarantee it will work though. The camp officials will exploit you if you put yourself in such a position.

OP means hard drugs. When I served, a woman in mammy sold pot, and no one cared as long as it was used there. That was the exception, not the rule. Don't try bringing it with you. It's not worth it if you're caught.

When I served the entire grounds were fumigated before camp, so mosquitoes weren't an issue. YMMV though.

I hope this has been helpful. Apologies for any grammatical errors - I used my phone.

12 Likes

Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by ckhelvin: 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ik09: Very useful information given. Here's my commentary on the points made :

Go with imodium or flagyl. There's nothing worse than developing running stomach unexpectedly.

There will be people willing to clean the toilets for a fee (the locals that run around camp). Pay them to clean a toilet/bathroom for you, and LOCK them with a padlock. If you have to give anyone the key, make them agree to flush after themselves. It's important you do this after the first Saturday because, depending on your camp, locked doors in the toilets will be forced open for the first sanitation.

Buy plain white t-shirts and shorts before going to camp. Get white trainers too (as the pair given I'm camp are fairly substandard). My trainers had a giant blue Nike swoosh and no one cared. I hear in some camps your shoes have to be plain or they'll be seized, so YMMV. Around 3-4 extra clothing pairs should be enough... Although you can get these from the mammy market.

If you can't find anyone to exchange khakis with, don't worry too much. You can easily adjust them (if they're too big) at the mammy market. You'll have to do it after your swearing in (first Thursday) though, because the tailors will extort those who rush to adjust beforehand.

Contrary to popular advice, go with normal outfits
! You won't be able to use them in camp, apart from a few hours on Sunday. However you might be stuck at your PPA for a while before obtaining leave to travel home. Have some clothing with you just in case.

Nothing to add here. Platoon leaders typically go to the first 10 to arrive camp. So if that's your cup of tea, you have to be in the vicinity of camp on the Monday.

You won't be allowed in before camp officially starts, though.

Your belongings are more likely to be picked up by opportunistic thieves if your bunk is by the door. However in most cases that's the only source of breeze at night. And yes, your hostel will get hot at night. You decide which is more important...

If you're late in getting ready, you can tell the soldiers/man o' war official chasing you out that you're in OBS. It won't work every time, but you could get some extra minutes to take your time.

Most band people are actually posted to the capital. They perform during your POP, so they need to be able to rehearse. There's even a band CDS in majority of states (as far as I'm aware). It's not worth the stress though if all you want is to be serve in the capital.

Nothing to add.

There are small children in camp that can fetch water for you, so you don't have to stand in line all the time. Pick two or three, and use them. They'll also wash your clothes for u.

Nothing to add. You'll have to wear your khaki once a week for CDS, and then once a month for clearance. Might be worth sewing another one, although it's not necessary. If the khaki you sew isn't the same shade as the one issued in camp, it doesn't really matter.

The camp lectures are useless, but not all of them. The state coordinator talks about the protocol to observe during the service year. Try to listen out for that lecture... You can safely ignore the other ones, unless something picks your fancy.

Unless you're interested, skills acquisition in camp is also a waste of time. It's your choice if you want to pay for lecture materials and/or certificate. In my experience they're fairly worthless. Don't join MDG unless you genuinely like that sort of thing.

Goes without saying. Respect camp officials, soldiers, and even the vendors in the mammy market. That's common courtesy.

However, the soldiers are not God - they still have to answer to someone.

Now, for the ladies, soldiers can not influence your PPA in any way. The camp commandant and RSM may be able to request some specific corpers to serve in the Barracks... But that rarely happens. If you're genuinely attracted to a soldier and you're Hot, then of course you can sleep with him. Don't expect any favours however.

Your platoon officers can influence your posting - as they're LGIs or ZIs etc. If serving at a particular LG is so important to you, then feel free to 'trade favours'. There's no guarantee it will work though. The camp officials will exploit you if you put yourself in such a position.

OP means hard drugs. When I served, a woman in mammy sold pot, and no one cared as long as it was used there. That was the exception, not the rule. Don't try bringing it with you. It's not worth it if you're caught.

When I served the entire grounds were fumigated before camp, so mosquitoes weren't an issue. YMMV though.

I hope this has been helpful. Apologies for any grammatical errors - I used my phone.
Thanks man..appreciate much!
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Mannylex(m): 11:48pm On Jul 17, 2014
Nice one guys
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Bigdreams(m): 11:31am On Jul 19, 2014
OP, good points you mentioned there.

It's a camp after all, it's not home where you will expect everything to be cozy and nice.

Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Rockmyworld(m): 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2014
nice one Op and to everyone that contributed thank you. really helpful tips
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Mannylex: Nice one guys
Have no fear.

Mannylex is here.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Mannylex(m): 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skateboard: Have no fear.

Mannylex is here.
. lol

1 Like

Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
Mannylex: . lol
We don't see you on the B'14 thread again, hope no problem?
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Mannylex(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skateboard: We don't see you on the B'14 thread again, hope no problem?

Been busy, I pop in there once in a while, but now that time is drawing near, I would come back there full time. How u doing man?

Have no fear; Mannylex is here
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
Mannylex:

Been busy, I pop in there once in a while, but now that time is drawing near, I would come back there full time. How u doing man?

Have no fear; Mannylex is here
You and this your signatue, lol. Alright, where do you intend serving?
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Mannylex(m): 5:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skateboard: You and this your signatue, lol. Alright, where do you intend serving?
. Lasgidi. Hw bout u?
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Mannylex: . Lasgidi. Hw bout u?
Oyo state hopefully.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Mannylex(m): 5:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
Skateboard: Oyo state hopefully.
. OK. Stream1 things for you.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
Mannylex: . OK. Stream1 things for you.
Yeah bro.
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by nobledeals(f): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
lexiie:
SOURCE:http:///PgpGrDpypQ

1. Most camps don’t have toilets, so ready to improvise.

2.Your kits given to you might not be your size. so its either you swap with someone (with begging of course) or you slimfit the wears but the boots are always bigger than your given size so i advice you get to camp early enough so as to get a small size as most times the small sizes are given to people who come early.

3. I advise you to get to camp early. As the good part or utilities such as rooms, beds, kits will be given to people who get there early.

4.Do and at all cost avoid the bunks or bedspace near the doors especially the toilet as you would be inhaling some dangerous odors for 3 whole weeks . hmmm. Also the bunks or bed spaces close to the entrance door are not so cool as your belongings are prone to their happy thieves. Also when the soldiers and officials come in to chase people out you are their first targets and victim. So be wise..

5. Try and join OBS . You can sometimes escape some boring activities especially those hot afternoon parade practice…. But i would say you avoid joining band because you will be made to practice day and night.. My friend was an example. I also hear that they usually promise that those in the band will be posted to companies and town center but my dear, don’t be deceived.

6. Your luggages will be ransacked by soldiers while searching for forbidden items. So when arranging or packing your boxes know how to arrange them.

7. Queuing up should become a part of you . At camp Queue is the main thing. You queue up to bath, to fetch water, to eat , and other activities.

8. Dont over-slim fit your khaki because when you wash it , it shrinks. Be careful .

9 Lectures might be long and boring but not all .especially if you have friends you can talk to or gist with to let time fly. Funny enough its not everyone that would be able to hear what is being said. So whats the point… So make friends..

10. Just respect the soldiers and officials else camp will be a living hell experience from you .And don’t form over-familiarity with them else you calling for trouble especially the Ladies. I am sure you know what i am talking about.

11.No drugs allowed o! except you want to be sent out of camp.

12. Mosquito nets are quite useful as they can serve as a protective measure for you belongings , also they can hide you from officers incase you want to hide but its not a good id

lexiie, pls I sent you a pm, dono if it delivered. please I need to chat with you to get info, (whatsapp, 07033857625, Bb 7BAF084F) thanks in anticipation
Re: 12 Things No One Tells You About Nysc Orientation Camp by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
Crazy, boring, useless lectures. Enter the loo/toilet with one eye closed. Don't asked me why. I've tried my best already.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Zamfara corpers Let's Meet Here / Benue State A'16 Stream 2 / All You Need To Know And Expect During Nysc Orientation Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.