Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Engine Rattling Sound - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Rattling Sound (9703 Views)

Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine / Rattling Sound In 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3l V6 Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Rattling Sound by ThundrCork(m): 4:35am On May 22, 2016
Hello Experts, I desperately need information on what could be wrong with my Rav 4 2005 model. I recently visited a mechanic to have my steering rack replaced and before then my car was in good condition except for the steering that was stiff. I collected the car today only to notice after like 30 minute's into driving that the oil gauge light on my instrument panel was permanently on. I turned around to head back to the mechanic then suddenly I began to hear a rattling sound. It became louder as I accelerated after a while I began to see smoke then the car suddenly stopped. I tried to start it but it didn't crank. I checked the bottom of the car and noticed it was leaking engine oil.

What could be the cause? Frankly I do not trust that mechanic. Could he have done something to my oil pump? Has my engine knocked? I had to tow my car to a safe location to get another mechanic to look into it tomorrow.

CMGO
Gazzuzz
9icetoo
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by Burger01(m): 6:12am On May 22, 2016
@ThundrCork, you should've stopped driving your car the moment you noticed the low oil pressure light. Brace up for bad news about that engine. sad
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:21am On May 22, 2016
Burger01:
@ThundrCork, you should've stopped driving your car the moment you noticed the low oil pressure light. Brace up for bad news about that engine. sad

they don't ever do. I just replaced a 300k 2GR-FE engine because of same thing[./color]

ThundrCork:
Hello Experts, I desperately need information on what could be wrong with my Rav 4 2005 model. I recently visited a mechanic to have my steering rack replaced and before then my car was in good condition except for the steering that was stiff. I collected the car today only to notice after like 30 minute's into driving that the oil gauge light on my instrument panel was permanently on. I turned around to head back to the mechanic then suddenly I began to hear a rattling sound. It became louder as I accelerated after a while I began to see smoke then the car suddenly stopped. I tried to start it but it didn't crank. I checked the bottom of the car and noticed it was leaking engine oil.
What could be the cause? Frankly I do not trust that mechanic. Could he have done something to my oil pump? Has my engine knocked? I had to tow my car to a safe location to get another mechanic to look into it tomorrow.
CMGO
Gazzuzz
9icetoo

[color=#990000]engine needs to be replaced. If you are interested in my service let me know will get you a sharp one.
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by mayor2013: 8:03am On May 22, 2016
ThundrCork:

CMGO
Gazzuzz
9icetoo

Engine needs to be replaced. If you are in lagos. You can call 08165520837 or 08156087872. To get a solution
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by Vicobaba123: 8:00am On Jan 12, 2017
CMGO:

Auto Engineers in the house pls I need your advice; my 2003 toyota rav4 makes this rattling noise like diesel engine both when idle & when in motion and its also leaking oil seriously so we just have to keep toping the oil.

Our mechanic said its the chain adjuster which he later changed yet the rattling sound did not stop also he said d leakage is from the chain sprocket which he sealed yet it didn't stop leaking, we took it to another mechanic who assuredly told us that d camshaft is worn out& has to be replaced together with the pappet which he said is responsible for the rattling sound, d oil leakage and the wobbling of the pulley driving the camshaft.

Pls I need your help about how you solved the issue of the ticking noise and oil leakage. I am a 4runner with similar issue.
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by Nobody: 4:27am On Jan 17, 2017
Guys, with due respect, why are you all saying engines needs to be replaced?

Do we not replace bad components in engines anymore and we instead just swap it out?

Yes, the engine was probably ran with low to no oil in the crankcase but the components like crankshaft, camshaft, cylinder bore, etc can be inspected for spec and reground or replace.

Please let me hear back from you guys.
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by mayor2013: 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Guys, with due respect, why are you all saying engines needs to be replaced?

Do we not replace bad components in engines anymore and we instead just swap it out?

Yes, the engine was probably ran with low to no oil in the crankcase but the components like crankshaft, camshaft, cylinder bore, etc can be inspected for spec and reground or replace.

Please let me hear back from you guys.

You can't understand. A lot of factors are put into consideration in this type of case

1) type/ viscosity of engine oil the owner has been using
2) sludge Nature of the engine
3) I would consider the age

An engine with a considerable number of sludge in it. How do you go about solving a rattling sound. In order to avoid stories that touches the heart replacement engine would be the way forward.
P.s : some other factors are available but can't go through al of them
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 17, 2017
mayor2013:

You can't understand. A lot of factors are put into consideration in this type of case

1) type/ viscosity of engine oil the owner has been using
2) sludge Nature of the engine
3) I would consider the age

An engine with a considerable number of sludge in it. How do you go about solving a rattling sound. In order to avoid stories that touches the heart replacement engine would be the way forward.
P.s : some other factors are available but can't go through al of them

Trust me I definitely understand. Much more than you think.

You make it sound as if Nigeria is on Mars where it's the only place that they use the wrong viscosity in engines, and you Nigerian mechanics knows best.

How can you determine that he needs a completely new engine when you haven't even triaged the car?

I will accept that it may be cheaper in the long run, whether due to lack of skills or cost of parts, to install a replacement engine versus rebuilding what the client has now.
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by 9icetoo(m): 10:11am On Jan 17, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You make it sound as if Nigeria is on Mars where it's the only place that they use the wrong viscosity in engines, and you Nigerian mechanics knows best.

How can you determine that he needs a completely new engine when you haven't even triaged the car?

I will accept that it may be cheaper in the long run, whether due to lack of skills or cost of parts, to install a replacement engine versus rebuilding what the client has now.

it will be cheaper to just buy a used engine. dollar is trading at approximately N500 to 1 dollar. the cost of new parts at this exchange rate makes repairing the engine an exorbitantly expensive option.
op firstly find out why your oil leaked out. like the others above have posted, you need a new engine.
Re: Engine Rattling Sound by 9icetoo(m): 10:12am On Jan 17, 2017
EgunMogaji:

it will be cheaper to just buy a used engine. dollar is trading at approximately N500 to 1 dollar. the cost of new parts at this exchange rate makes repairing the engine an exorbitantly expensive option.
op firstly find out why your oil leaked out. like the others above have posted, you need a tokunbo engine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The New Mercedes Maybach? / Police Stations Decongestion: Lagos Police Command Warns Car/Exhibit Owners / Code P1135

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.