Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking (1082 Views)

Nigeria Moves Two Places Up In Latest FIFA Ranking. / Germany Leads New FIFA World Rankings; Nigeria Up 10 Spots / Nigeria Moves Up In FIFA Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 3:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
Less than five days after Germany won the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, the European country has returned to the top of FIFA world rankings for the first time in around 20 years.

According to the latest list published on Thursday, 17 July, 2014, Germany moved up one place to depose former table topper Spain on the strength of their 1-0 defeat of Argentina at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium in Brazil.

Lionel Messi’s Argentina are placed second, an improvement of three places, with the Netherlands leaping 12 rungs into third after their impressive World Cup third place finish.

The James Rodriguez-inspired Colombia move up to fourth (+4), ahead of Belgium (+6) and Uruguay, while disappointing Brazil dropped four spots to seventh.

Deposed world champions Spain slumped seven spots to their new modest placing of eighth, with Switzerland and France (+7) completing the top ten.

Costa Rica’s remarkable charge to the quarterfinals was rewarded with a jump of 12 places to 16th.

England’s woeful first round exit resulted in Roy Hodgson’s side dropping ten places to 20th.

Nigeria’s Super Eagles, who exited the World Cup in the round of 16, moved up 10 spots to current 34th position in the world and 3rd in Africa.
Both Algeria and Cote d’Ivoire dropped two points each but they still remain the best two teams on the African continent, respectively.

Egypt maintains its 4th position, while Ghana also remains ranked 5th in Africa, despite dropping one point in the latest ranking.

Below is the top 20 of the new FIFA rankings:

1. Germany (+1)

2. Argentina (+3)

3. Netherlands (+12)

4. Colombia (+4)

5. Belgium (+6)

6. Uruguay (+1)

7. Brazil (-4)

8. Spain (-7)

9. Switzerland (-3)

10. France (+7)

11. Portugal (-7)

12. Chile (+2)

13. Greece (-1)

14. Italy (-5)

15. USA (-2)

16. Costa Rica (+12)

17. Croatia (+1)

18. Mexico (+2)

19. Bosnia and Herzegovina (+2)

20. England (-10)
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by Bholutife18(f): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
Big thanks to fifa. #FairJudgement

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by eyeview: 3:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
Is it because FIFA is in Zurich,why is Switzerland in the top 10? Why are they always highly ranked when nobody knows them as a football nation?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by onome710(m): 3:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
Nigeria and cote d ivoire ought to switch places! We deserve better than that rating...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 3:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bholutife18: Big thanks to fifa. #FairJudgement
Yeah fair indeed
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 3:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
eyeview: Is it because FIFA is in Zurich,why is Switzerland in the top 10? Why are they always highly ranked when nobody knows them as a football nation?
Person wey know person nah.....u don 4get
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 3:46pm On Jul 17, 2014
onome710: Nigeria and cote d ivoire ought to switch places! We deserve better than that rating...
Maybe not.
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by onome710(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
dtito:
Maybe not.

Seriously? At least Algeria & Nigeria made d round of 16. We ought to be ranked closely... Not 'far apart'

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by nely(m): 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
Atleast a fair ranking this time around bt ivory coast shouldnt have retained no 1 spot, i tink algeria deserved it.
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by yorex2011: 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ok
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 4:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
onome710:

Seriously? At least Algeria & Nigeria made d round of 16. We ought to be ranked closely... Not 'far apart'
Not exactly like DAT....we just move 10 place from d former position because we played well...since ivory coast did not reach d round of 16...remained or move 1 or 2 place up....u get?
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 4:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
yorex2011: Ok
Yeah
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by onome710(m): 4:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
dtito:
Not exactly like DAT....we just move 10 place from d former position because we played well...since ivory coast did not reach d round of 16...remained or move 1 or 2 place up....u get?

Ok. Makes sense now. But i still feel they under rate us. #myOpinion

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by maputohq: 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
I think the eagles over achieved to b third in Africa. Algeria really deserved top spot. we were far adrift Algeria; going by the last rankings. Cote d'ivoire won a match. dats enough point to keep them above us.
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by mainheart(m): 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
waiting Portugal come do ahead of Chile or Costa Rica.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dabossman(m): 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
Nigeria moved up 10 places to number 34 from 44. Now 3rd in Africa. Keshi inherited a team that was 63, yet people say he is crap.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dabossman(m): 7:53pm On Jul 17, 2014
maputohq: I think the eagles over achieved to b third in Africa. Algeria really deserved top spot. we were far adrift Algeria; going by the last rankings. Cote d'ivoire won a match. dats enough point to keep them above us.

I beg to disagree with you on this sir. Many peeps just got carried away by the mobility of the Algerian team. Go to FIFA website and compare the stats of both teams. The only areas Algeria did better than us where no of goals scored(7-3) and distance covered(115.5km-100.5km per match).

We had more attempts per match (12.5 - 9.3) and completed more passes (1386-1194). Our shot on target percentages where the same 60%. Pass completion percentage same 70%.

The striking difference was that they moved quicker with the ball, especially on counters, while we transited slowly (no thanks to Mikel) and focused more on possession. We both won one match, drew one and lost two.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by faithugo64(f): 7:57pm On Jul 17, 2014
am just happy that we are ahead of noisy gala abi bigi grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
onome710:

Ok. Makes sense now. But i still feel they under rate us. #myOpinion
Yeah man
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 8:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
maputohq: I think the eagles over achieved to b third in Africa. Algeria really deserved top spot. we were far adrift Algeria; going by the last rankings. Cote d'ivoire won a match. dats enough point to keep them above us.
Maybe we are just better dis time
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 8:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
mainheart: waiting Portugal come do ahead of Chile or Costa Rica.
Dem don dey ahead since Nah...even b4 world cup..
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 8:22pm On Jul 17, 2014
dabossman:

I beg to disagree with you on this sir. Many peeps just got carried away by the mobility of the Algerian team. Go to FIFA website and compare the stats of both teams. The only areas Algeria did better than us where no of goals scored(7-3) and distance covered(115.5km-100.5km per match).

We had more attempts per match (12.5 - 9.3) and completed more passes (1386-1194). Our shot on target percentages where the same 60%. Pass completion percentage same 70%.

The striking difference was that they moved quicker with the ball, especially on counters, while we transited slowly (no thanks to Mikel) and focused more on possession. We both won one match, drew one and lost two.
U said it all...just wat we need to know
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
faithugo64: am just happy that we are ahead of noisy gala abi bigi grin
Lolz....funni chick
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by tonytony208(m): 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2014
This simply means keshi was not as bad as some pple want us to swallow. Siasia's style brought eagles very low on ranking (2011). Keshi's style (though heavily criticized by oliseh, siasia subtle campaigners) pushed eagles up. We are not there yet but we are on the way. One thing we must do to move higher is to keep faith with keshi.
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by georgesylva(m): 9:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
pls why is bosnia 19th n 9ja 34th?
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by Fatdon(m): 9:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
I think skin color is one the
yardsticks for measuring
this rankings by Fifa because
i don't the reason countries
like England should be ahead
Nigeria,even Bosnia, Spain and Brazil
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by gebest: 10:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
dabossman: Nigeria moved up 10 places to number 34 from 44. Now 3rd in Africa. Keshi inherited a team that was 63, yet people say he is crap.
my brother i tire o
Re: Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking by dtito(m): 11:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
Fatdon: I think skin color is one the
yardsticks for measuring
this rankings by Fifa because
i don't the reason countries
like England should be ahead
Nigeria,even Bosnia, Spain and Brazil
Maybe...it seems so

(1) (Reply)

Virtual Football League (VFL) / Opinion:Ahmadu Shuaibu Appointment Is A Bane Not A Blessing.. / BREAKING: Yaya Toure Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.