Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car (38371 Views)

Uniben Student Builds Touchless Phone From Scratch / 5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by silverprince413(m): 3:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
A young Nigerian student doing his last year
in electronic and electrical engineering at
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, has built
a car operating on solar power.

Segun Oyeyiola explains that his car uses both wind
and solar energy for the functioning, The Net
reports. Moreover, the man developed an
application for its installation in the car, which app
will inform the driver about the battery level,
weather conditions and other essential parameters.
In an interview to allAfrica.com Segun spoke about
how he came up with the idea and eventually
embodied it. He confessed his first motivation was
to eradicate the causes of climate change resulting
in fuel combustion.
"In the course of my research, I found out that our
regular cars contribute immensely to climate
change… If we could manufacture cars that do not
use fuel or reduce the number of cars that use fuel;
our world will be a better place for us to live in."

The student had to work and study hard to achieve
his aim, which was even harder because of absence
of electricity most of the time.
Apart from that, the final year student faced other
challenges:
"Asides the lack of electricity, getting the right
materials and text books to study as well as other
needed tools was difficult. But the most prominent
of them was the lack of funds. I started using my
personal funds which I obtained by helping people
to do their projects and a little fund my parents also
contributed towards the project."
He also explained that the resulting model is a
prototype, but not the final look of the car. Segun
hopes to develop his project into a future car for
Nigeria and Africa, as it is created with regard to our
climate.
The young man points out another important
benefit of using his auto – low maintenance cost:
"Everyone likes it and they are willing to start
driving it around town because of its low cost of
maintenance. I developed a simple software that
can be installed on our laptops and smart phones to
tell us the battery level, the weather condition, the
distance we can cover during different weather
conditions and GPS location of the car."

Enthusiastic about his project, Segun says he is not
sure whether he would like to sell the idea to some
entity, he prefers to have the project funded and
continue working on upgrading the auto:
"I would rather they fund me to put together a team
to help me perfect them and make them
commercial."
In conclusion the 30-year-old urged youths to look
for solutions to the global problems and never stop
learning something new.
"And it’s better to start anything we wanted to do
now. Let’s do what will make us happy and that
which will not affect our fellow being negatively."

121 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by godlyheritage: 3:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
Good people great nation

*edited* wow. FTC. lemme do like others. lol

I thank God for this great opportunity to be FTC on the front page of Africa 's largest online forum. Thanks to MTN my network of choice. Great things to come. God bless the guy below me. lol

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by SweetyZinta(f): 4:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
tiis is a great idea, i personally like it but i knw commercial driver will dislike it cos it won't allow overloading!! Lol pls do not 4get 2 install alarm dat will alert d owner when d Solar Panel is being tampered with.

19 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by ayukdaboss(m): 10:37am On Jul 18, 2014
Cheif @Mynd44

smiley
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by saasala(m): 10:45am On Jul 18, 2014
Proud of him but I think we should blow his trumpet aloud if he was the first man to build a solar car. Solar cars have been around for quite a while, and those parts were only coupled by him and not built from scratch just like building a Jumia-like website using opencart. To understand my point, read Facts you Surely Want to Know About the Solar-cars. Read it here: http://www..com/8-facts-you-surely-want-to-know-about-the-solar-cars/

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by superior1: 10:46am On Jul 18, 2014
[size=13pt]Unlike some carrying guns around the school in the name of cultism
We have one who decided to contribute to his society
I wish we have more of him

Kudos Segun[/size]

36 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by slimchimex(m): 10:47am On Jul 18, 2014
Good One. We'll We'll get there soon

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
Please!! This bullshiit has been busted a long time ago on another thread. angry

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Wisdomkosi(m): 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
Good one.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by collynzo2(m): 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
30 year old final year student.....
He must have spent enough time in the mechanic workshop before entering school.

35 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
How lovely......now he has to find a Nigerian factory that would invest in his idea..(sarcasm intended)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by bercarray(m): 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
gud one,*remembers his account* i still av co-operative money here wit me,pls where can i get it,i op d co-operativ members are not here,pls phone engineers try to make a solar powered phone,i swear u go sell unless if we no dey naija again,i?m tird of #50 naira chargn a weak ba3
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by coldgate(f): 10:48am On Jul 18, 2014
Today, I am proud to be a Nigerian.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Wisdomkosi(m): 10:49am On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: Please!! This bullshiit has been busted a long time ago on another thread. angry
what makes it a bullshit?

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Orikinla(m): 10:49am On Jul 18, 2014
Not a bad contraption.
It is a common project in High Schools in the US.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by CarterMula: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
Great Job
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
4 hw many tyms i will c dis on niaraland fpdis yr? Kudos to u sa.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by lightheart(m): 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
Great!
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2014
collynzo2: 30 year old final year student.....

And what's wrong with spending time in the mechanic's workshop?

Infact.....all our student engineers should spend some time in a mechanic's workshop....free practical experience.

37 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by wandeay: 10:51am On Jul 18, 2014
nice move, but it's nt longer a news

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by lilpervert(m): 10:51am On Jul 18, 2014
People willing to make a change. But I sure say the car go slow pass my popsy old beetle

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Burnaaboi(m): 10:51am On Jul 18, 2014
Since last year april...he built et last year april..i remember commenting on a thread lyk dis ...whats d meanin of dis shit

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 18, 2014
A good step in a right direction from an avant-gardist. That car will be much suitable in the hot sahel and sudan savannahs.

Sambisa forest needs such car.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Rich4god(m): 10:52am On Jul 18, 2014
Sson the guy will be no where to be found... Cos our foolish idotic govt wont have anything to do with this talent...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by smith3339(m): 10:52am On Jul 18, 2014
Bravo 2 d guy
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 1stola: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Stale thread.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Double post
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2014
collynzo2: 30 year old final year student.....
You ehn! You love hating grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by IAMBREEZY: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Nice one.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Donkaz(m): 10:53am On Jul 18, 2014
Ok
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by dhtml(m): 10:54am On Jul 18, 2014
gud

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Busted: Nigerian ‘Inventors’ Whose Claims Turned Out To Be False (Photos) / 'Earth's Evil Twin': NASA Heading To Venus For First Time In 30 Years (Photos) / Oshiorenoya Agabi's ‘Human Brains" Computer On The Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.