Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car (38407 Views)

Uniben Student Builds Touchless Phone From Scratch / 5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by bumtos(m): 3:31pm On Jul 18, 2014
You can never see our government render help to this kind of person but if someone that can bomb the whole nationa... Hun
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 3:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
50calibre:

There's nothing wrong in trying your hands at something or testing your understanding, but not when it's done at the expense of things of real importance.

What kind of person channels all he's got into a pet project? The guy put in all his money & also got more from his parents to put into that thing. Is that a judicious use of his resources.

I guess the guy isn't aware of the issues you highlighted in your second paragraph, in his mind he probably thinks he's created something innovative, perhaps he needs to acquaint himself with basic reality first.

Look I'm all for creativity & ingenuity but at the same time, I'm all for common sense. That guy looks like he could really use some money, he shouldn't be wasting what he's got on things which serve him no immediate purpose.

[b]A serious scientist would have started from;

studying the Tesla Electric car,
the amount of power required to spin the motor,
the weight to power ratio of the car,
the type of batterires used and general composition of it,
the amount of electrical current required to charge up all the batteries in the Tesla,
how long the batteries hold their charges for,
the power rating on the motor used in the Tesla,
The max speed of the tesla.
The weight of the body of the Tesla (minus the batteries),
e.t.c

Then proceed to study renewable energy in particular Solar Energy and Wind Turbines. I personally feel a wind powered car is more feasible than a solar powered car seeing as the energy required to spin the wheels on the turbine is easier to generate.

The amount of power needed to move a light weight Tesla car is so much, I wonder the amount that would be needed to move a Volkwagon bettles made out of pure Iron and aluminium that weighs so much.

Nigerians are easily fooled by foolishness. grin

Na so that Amphibian car built by that Yaba Left Escapee hit frontpage, people start to say make Government invest in the mad Man. grin I swear, if to say Nigerian government give that guy 1 Naira, I for stop to pay taxes. grin[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by mizzy007(m): 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2014
U won't see or hear FG say or do sometin abt dis display of talent... Dis young man nids 2 b empowered so dat he can do more... Mercedes,toyota etc started like dis many yrs back. Am sooo proud of U
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by ONIKOYI1: 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
Gud innovation my guy am proud of u. may God assist u in achieving ur dream. I also pray dat God touches d mind of Govt to recognise and support ur knowledge,and if dey fail to do that I pray u get foreign support.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by omar22(m): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
princefunmi:

Unfortunately you are wrong. The Oyinbo man will pick this guy up and ensure that he is able to develop that idea. You know why? Because the Oyinbo man knows that if he succeeds, he will be able to exploit it.

Are you serious!!!! They will sue that person or scare him in a way that he wont go near any car let along trying to invent one, see what happened to Samsung for copying Apples stuff.

Oyinbo will pick him up if theirs any originalty in his invention, please take time out and go on google and look for science projects for secondary school kids....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Cheeun(f): 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=MadCow1] But why are you this mad @the thread now Oh, oh, sorry, i don forget your name - Madcow! grin
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
This might be the tenth time I'll see this on FP.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
django1: This might be the tenth time I'll see this on FP.

Cos the Nairaland Mods think if they show us this IED often enough, we would start to believe its actually a Car. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Cheeun(f): 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2014
Wow! Great initiative. Keep it up, the sky is just your starting point. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by searay(m): 3:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Talk true, OP, you fit carry this car enter MAULAG Carry babe?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Bigsteveg(m): 3:57pm On Jul 18, 2014
silverprince413: A young Nigerian student doing his last year
in electronic and electrical engineering at
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, has built
a car operating on solar power.

Segun Oyeyiola explains that his car uses both wind
and solar energy for the functioning, The Net
reports. Moreover, the man developed an
application for its installation in the car, which app
will inform the driver about the battery level,
weather conditions and other essential parameters.
In an interview to allAfrica.com Segun spoke about
how he came up with the idea and eventually
embodied it. He confessed his first motivation was
to eradicate the causes of climate change resulting
in fuel combustion.
"In the course of my research, I found out that our
regular cars contribute immensely to climate
change… If we could manufacture cars that do not
use fuel or reduce the number of cars that use fuel;
our world will be a better place for us to live in."

The student had to work and study hard to achieve
his aim, which was even harder because of absence
of electricity most of the time.
Apart from that, the final year student faced other
challenges:
"Asides the lack of electricity, getting the right
materials and text books to study as well as other
needed tools was difficult. But the most prominent
of them was the lack of funds. I started using my
personal funds which I obtained by helping people
to do their projects and a little fund my parents also
contributed towards the project."
He also explained that the resulting model is a
prototype, but not the final look of the car. Segun
hopes to develop his project into a future car for
Nigeria and Africa, as it is created with regard to our
climate.
The young man points out another important
benefit of using his auto – low maintenance cost:
"Everyone likes it and they are willing to start
driving it around town because of its low cost of
maintenance. I developed a simple software that
can be installed on our laptops and smart phones to
tell us the battery level, the weather condition, the
distance we can cover during different weather
conditions and GPS location of the car."

Enthusiastic about his project, Segun says he is not
sure whether he would like to sell the idea to some
entity, he prefers to have the project funded and
continue working on upgrading the auto:
"I would rather they fund me to put together a team
to help me perfect them and make them
commercial."
In conclusion the 30-year-old urged youths to look
for solutions to the global problems and never stop
learning something new.
"And it’s better to start anything we wanted to do
now. Let’s do what will make us happy and that
which will not affect our fellow being negatively."

How were u able to insert pictures in the middle of the post, mine always come at the end(bottom) of the post?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by angela98(f): 4:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
I love this kind of news. What a talented young man. I so wish the government would appreciate his talent and support him..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by biz2get(m): 4:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
I like this..... very innovative
*thumbsup* I see a better Nigeria ahead smiley
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by esere826: 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Here we go again embarassed

Is the boy the president of Nigeria?

AJ,
I think Kuntash -'s advice can be unwittingly viewed as two pronged.

From the stance of the first view, you've rightly advocated that that is a government
and not individual's responsibility to devolp a sustainable environment
..however, we know the nigerian government is not that sensible

so in such a circumstance, we could infer the 2nd view:
i.e., that Kuntash is suggesting that
if the innovator wants to succeed and make some livelihood (from innovation)
within the harsh Nigerian environment s/he should concentrate
on innovations that are within our local comprehension and adoption

..for example solar powered phones, solar powered pure water, solar powered bibles and Korans e.t.c
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 50calibre(m): 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1:

[b]A serious scientist would have started from;

studying the Tesla Electric car,
the amount of power required to spin the motor,
the weight to power ratio of the car,
the type of batterires used and general composition of it,
the amount of electrical current required to charge up all the batteries in the Tesla,
how long the batteries hold their charges for,
the power rating on the motor used in the Tesla,
The max speed of the tesla.
The weight of the body of the Tesla (minus the batteries),
e.t.c

Then proceed to study renewable energy in particular Solar Energy and Wind Turbines. I personally feel a wind powered car is more feasible than a solar powered car seeing as the energy required to spin the wheels on the turbine is easier to generate.

The amount of power needed to move a light weight Tesla car is so much, I wonder the amount that would be needed to move a Volkwagon bettles made out of pure Iron and aluminium that weighs so much.

Nigerians are easily fooled by foolishness. grin

Na so that Amphibian car built by that Yaba Left Escapee hit frontpage, people start to say make Government invest in the mad Man. grin I swear, if to say Nigerian government give that guy 1 Naira, I for stop to pay taxes. grin[/b]

Hahahaha Very good point! Nigerians always applaud nonsense.

From which ever angle you look at this guy's creation, it's senseless. He didn't consider the different technicalities involved.

There still isn't an efficient way to harness solar energy, solar panels only retain a limited percentage of the sun's energy, the rest just bounces off therefore, to generate any significant power, you need a whole lot of solar panels.

I seriously doubt that panel he put on the car is enough to move it more than a few yards and even at that, it looks too archaic for my liking grin
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Cashio(m): 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
ollynzo2: 30 year old final year student.....
He must have spent enough time in the mechanic workshop before entering school.
bros fates are not de same. maybe u finished on time buh dat doesn't mean u are better than those dat started late.
I was barely 17 wen i wrote ma 1st waec in 2009 nd if someone told me den dat i wouldn't be in uni by now, i wouldn't have beleived. Not as if i was bad academically but circumstances has kept me till now. Ur road has been cleared for u whereas some must hustle to to clear theirs.
No insults intended
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by lordnaruto: 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
Burnaaboi: Since last year april...he built et last year april..i remember commenting on a thread lyk dis ...whats d meanin of dis shit
peeps wey no see am then go see am now............................................
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
50calibre:

Hahahaha Very good point! Nigerians always applaud nonsense.

From which ever angle you look at this guy's creation, it's senseless. He didn't consider the different technicalities involved.

There still isn't an efficient way to harness solar energy, solar panels only retain a limited percentage of the sun's energy, the rest just bounces off therefore, to generate any significant power, you need a whole lot of solar panels.

I seriously doubt that panel he put on the car is enough to move it more than a few yards and even at that, it looks too archaic for my liking grin

That Panel cant generate enough power to roll that car for up to 5 feet. grin
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by gosagie3(f): 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
more grease to ur elbow bro
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by gosagie3(f): 4:31pm On Jul 18, 2014
django1: This might be the tenth time I'll see this on FP.

dos it mata
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by esere826: 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2014
Thumbs up to all the innovators
it might lead to nothing at the endof the day in terms of money and sellable products

buts its an edifying excercise nevertheless
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 50calibre(m): 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: [b]Some Nigerian Inventions in pictures;

1. The Urine Generator that never started.. grin

2. Covenant University Invented rechargable car.. Looks like one of these BOKO HARAM IEDs

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Negwa14ZLq4/T0O1yRmm3sI/AAAAAAAAGZY/rOwmR6GZV8o/s400/1.jpg[/img]

3. The Nigerian Invented car.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/913846_IMG-20121212-00484_jpg30226dd389c62f136cbccd0e9ae227f2[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/914538_IMG00326-20121002-0312_jpgf5bc207a654ee03a00ff44fe9724cd55[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/914539_IMG00331-20121002-0313_jpgdde98422d470ea6a103f5586545a4c5b[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/914544_Amphibian-Jet_jpgcd3dbf822387866325698e56eb9878d0[/img]

4. Nigerian Invented Helicopter..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/171988_Nigerian_Cobra_jpg48814321fce28d62073e11757df21f8c

5. Nigerian invented Kekemousine..

6. Nigerian Light aircraft that never flew..

[img]http://4.bp..com/-luC7DV3GbaQ/UQZCf9uJbSI/AAAAAAAAdpA/2APACX4avJY/s1600/Nigerian+Build+Plane+1.png[/img]

7. Anambra State University Car.. grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/955074_Project__jpgd33d06c50359c29c9aea125c9a908b50

8. Nigerian Air-Amphibian-Jet.. grin

[img]http://scienceandtechnologyland.files./2013/01/picture4.png?w=487[/img][/b]

Lool these inventions are an embarrassment to the modern age, they're too backward to even look at twice.

Lots of mad people roaming about in Nigeria, the inventors of these relics should be rounded up and sent to a mental hospital for evaluation, for daring to conceive something like this

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 50calibre(m): 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1:

That Panel cant generate enough power to roll that car for up to 5 feet. grin

Hahahaha grin
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2014
50calibre:

Lool these inventions are an embarrassment to the modern age, they're too backward to even look at twice.

Lots of mad people roaming about in Nigeria, the inventors of these relics should be rounded up and sent to a mental hospital for evaluation, for daring to conceive something like this

To e, the irritating part is when people start saying :Government should finance these projects.. angry

Like DAFUQ!! angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by AjanleKoko: 4:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
esere826:

AJ,
I think Kuntash -'s advice can be unwittingly viewed as two pronged.

From the stance of the first view, you've rightly advocated that that is a government
and not individual's responsibility to devolp a sustainable environment
..however, we know the nigerian government is not that sensible

so in such a circumstance, we could infer the 2nd view:
i.e., that Kuntash is suggesting that
if the innovator wants to succeed and make some livelihood (from innovation)
within the harsh Nigerian environment s/he should concentrate
on innovations that are within our local comprehension and adoption

..for example solar powered phones, solar powered pure water, solar powered bibles and Korans e.t.c

It's pretty obvious that the student is not trying to make money or permanent livelihood from this. It's a project.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 50calibre(m): 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1:

To e, the irritating part is when people start saying :Government should finance these projects.. angry

DAFUQ!! angry

The people clamouring for such should use their money to finance these projects since they don't have common sense.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by AjanleKoko: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
50calibre:

There's nothing wrong in trying your hands at something or testing your understanding, but not when it's done at the expense of things of real importance.

What kind of person channels all he's got into a pet project? The guy put in all his money & also got more from his parents to put into that thing. Is that a judicious use of his resources.

I guess the guy isn't aware of the issues you highlighted in your second paragraph, in his mind he probably thinks he's created something innovative, perhaps he needs to acquaint himself with basic reality first.

Look I'm all for creativity & ingenuity but at the same time, I'm all for common sense. That guy looks like he could really use some money, he shouldn't be wasting what he's got on things which serve him no immediate purpose.

Frankly speaking, your post smacks of serious self-importance. Look how you jumped to the conclusion that the dude is destitute, just from looking at a picture. Really now undecided
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by dorox(m): 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
Those of you applauding this contraption should think objectively for a moment and ask yourself the following question in order to determine if this guy is either a fraud or an idiiot.
Why hasn't he shown a video of the car in motion?
Why is there a total lack of specification of the car such as the output of the solar panel and wind turbine, the electric motor and the top speed obtained?
Why did he not provide a log of the number of kilometers covered by his car?
If you have asked yourself these questions and still believe that there is something to this contraption, then I can assure you that I have a bridge to sell you in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
Madcow1 really is mad. Had me in stitches grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by sundaypurity(m): 5:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
Gud work bro God will bless more, but I hope Nigeria police will not arrest u cose dem don't like gud things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Elon Musk's Plans To Take Futuristic Noah's Ark To Mars ( Pics) / 'Earth's Evil Twin': NASA Heading To Venus For First Time In 30 Years (Photos) / See The Green Mamba That Was Killed By My Wife Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.