Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:40 PM

Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project (1566 Views)

Official: Microsoft Cortana Crosses To Android And Ios / RIP NOKIA! Its Official Microsoft Acquires Nokia Phone Business -mymobnet! / Mtn Scraps All Tariff Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 4:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
The completion of the Nokia deal was greatly seen as the end of Nokia Android efforts, but there was a twist as Microsoft announced Nokia X2, the successor to Nokia X last month, fueling speculations that software giant would continue to produce Android phones, which would be in direct competition with its Windows Phones.

However, in a recent development which will see Microsoft cut roughly 18,000 jobs next year, the company announced it would be scraping Nokia Android production line. In an email to former Nokia staff, Microsoft devices chief Stephen Elop details the company's renewed focus on Windows Phone. "In addition to the portfolio already planned, we plan to deliver additional lower-cost Lumia devices by shifting select future Nokia X designs and products to Windows Phone devices," says Elop. "We expect to make this shift immediately while continuing to sell and support existing Nokia X products."

This means future Nokia X smartphones would be powered by Windows Phone OS. The company would also be concentrating its efforts in areas where Windows phones are hugely successful. "We will determine each market approach based on local market dynamics, our ability to profitably deliver local variants, current Lumia momentum and the strategic importance of the market to Microsoft," says Elop. "We will be particularly focused on making the market for Windows Phone. In the near term, we plan to drive Windows Phone volume by targeting the more affordable Smartphone segments, which are the fastest-growing segments of the market, with Lumia."
Source: http://www.techrez.com/2014/07/official-microsoft-kills-nokia-x-android-project.html
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by tolu4you: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
window os is the best
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
tolu4you: window os is the best

1 Like

Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by ITbomb(m): 7:24pm On Jul 17, 2014
Can Windows pack all the Android's bells into a 25k candy bar?
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Kelvindwaplord(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2014
Begining Of The End For Microsoft And Nokia.

Quote Me In The Next 2Years

1 Like

Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by realjoker(m): 8:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
tolu4you: window os is the best
android remains best for mobile phone , while Windows remains best for pc
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 8:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
Kelvindwaplord: Begining Of The End For Microsoft And Nokia.

Quote Me In The Next 2Years

Windows isn't going anywhere. With the new CEO, M$ would be concentrating its effort to see its mobile outfit succeed. That's why a new CEO was brought in, he is more geeky than Steve Ballmer who was more or less a business man.

1 Like

Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Bawss1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
I posted this comment in the other thread with a similar heading: Yay! Now Nokia under Microsoft can focus completely on Windows Phone OS, dabbling into Android was a drunken idea when they had their own solid platform to build and support.
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
realjoker: android remains best for mobile phone , while Windows remains best for pc

Android is no where the best OS for mobile phones. That an OS is the most popular doesn't make it the best. iOS is still far apart from what Android can do.

That Toyota sells most cars in the World doesn't make it the best in the world.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 8:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bawss1: I posted this comment in the other thread with a similar heading: Yay! Now Nokia under Microsoft can focus completely on Windows Phone OS, dabbling into Android was a drunken idea when they had their own solid platform to build and

I always knew the project would meet a premature end. Had the Microsoft deal been finalized earlier on.. The Nokia X would never have been a reality. The Nokia project was also part of the reasons why Microsoft accelerated the completion of the deal, so they could kill the stuff.. cool
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Bawss1(m): 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
^
The acquisition deal was not accelerated. Where did you get that from?
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bawss1: ^
The acquisition deal was not accelerated. Where did you get that from?

Well, that's part of my work, I'm pretty sure you are not also aware Microsoft gave $1billion to Nokia in 2011 to exclusively use the Windows Phone OS on its smartphones.

You can read some of Nokia's mistakes that cost the company a throne it held for over decade, after overthrowing Motorola in 1999.

http://www.techrez.com/2013/05/nokia-s-huge-blunder-not-making-an-android-phone.html
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Mafia4life(m): 8:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
vowiski:
iOS is still far apart from what Android can do.. cheesy
You are wrong... Andriod merge the gap between smartphones and Personal Computers.. iOS is solid but can never do more things than Andriod OS for now..

1 Like

Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 8:46pm On Jul 17, 2014
Mafia4life: You are wrong... Andriod merge the gap between smartphones and Personal Computers.. iOS is solid but can never do more things than Andriod OS for now..

What gap are we talking about here?
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by tolu4you: 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
realjoker: android remains best for mobile phone , while Windows remains best for pc
im using both os
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Bawss1(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
vowiski:

Well, that's part of my work, I'm pretty sure you are not also aware Microsoft gave $1billion to Nokia in 2011 to exclusively use the Windows Phone OS on its smartphones.

You can read some of Nokia's mistakes that cost the company a throne it held for over decade, after overthrowing Motorola in 1999.

http://www.techrez.com/2013/05/nokia-s-huge-blunder-not-making-an-android-phone.html

What are you talking about?

You say the Nokia purchase was accelerated by Microsoft. What evidence supports this claim. And no, entering into an exclusivity deal is not part of a buy out unless that is what you are insinuating and thats just cold vapour.

On the link you posted; I actually am in support of Nokia not going the android path prior to adopting WP, I believe they would have struggled greatly to differentiate themselves in that already crowded space. Android would not have guaranteed success for Nokia besides consumers are better served with more mobile operating systems instead of just choosing between iOS and Android.
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Bawss1(m): 9:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
vowiski:

He doesn't know what he is talking about.
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by vowiski(m): 9:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bawss1:

What are you talking about?

You say the Nokia purchase was accelerated by Microsoft. What evidence supports this claim. And no, entering into an exclusivity deal is not part of a buy out unless that is what you are insinuating and thats just cold vapour.

On the link you posted; I actually am in support of Nokia not going the android path prior to adopting WP, I believe they would have struggled greatly to differentiate themselves in that already crowded space. Android would not have guaranteed success for Nokia besides consumers are better served with more mobile operating systems instead of just choosing between iOS and Android.

There was a non-confirmatory report suggesting that Microsoft paid $1 billion to Nokia for Windows mobile platform exclusivity In 2011.

http://www.techrez.com/2013/06/microsoft-ends-plans-to-buy-nokia-phone-division.html
http://www.techrez.com/2013/09/microsoft-perfect-plans-to-acquire-nokia.html

In conclusion, Microsoft is buying Nokia as a defensive move. Nokia accounts for nearly 82 percent of Windows Phone smartphone shipments and the purchase pre-empted Nokia partnering with Android or filing for bankruptcy. If Nokia abandoned Windows Phone, Windows Phone would be dead. This deal is certainly one where they are better together than apart. This deal is one step in Microsoft strategy to turn the software company into a devices and services business.
http://www.academia.edu/6426736/Reason_why_Microsoft_buy_Nokia
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Bawss1(m): 9:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
^
You are just posting what is already public knowledge but you haven't shown anything that supports your theory that the buy-out was " accelerated" by MS. Anyways no need to dig deeper, your theory is cold vapour.
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Mafia4life(m): 10:08pm On Jul 17, 2014
vowiski:

In andriod, PC is not a must to accomplish task. An iOS user cannot do without PC. That's what I mean... Honestly, I am talking regarding my Iphone 4
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Mafia4life(m): 10:11pm On Jul 17, 2014
Bawss1:

He doesn't know what he is talking about.
You really don't have a clue of what I meant.
Re: Official: Microsoft Scraps Nokia X Android Project by Oyetboy(m): 1:11am On Jul 18, 2014
But why will they render 18000+people jobless?

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Selling Smartphones In Nigeria, 2014. / #battleofcities / Infinix Launches Its 5 Minutes Fast Charge Technology Infinix NOTE 3 Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.