Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. (30194 Views)

Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. / Affordable low cost housing Option For Lagosians / Award Winning Low-Cost Housing Technology Launches In Nigeria - Investors Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by kostadinis: 8:21pm On Sep 06, 2014
spyder880: I called this my carpenter and asked for the completion status and he assured me that the job has been completed, only for me to move to site some moments ago and. ..........

Sometimes these workers makes things difficult for us, but he cannot spoil my weekend, I will sit on his neck for the rest of today grin Pikin wey say im papa no go sleep. ............
Sometimes it's better to control the amount of money in their hands until the job has pretty much gone far or else you'll contend with this type of situation. I'm sure he must have collected enough from you and hence bolted away to enjoy the weekend grin
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by ekoibile: 10:43am On Sep 08, 2014
Fhemmmy: MY Chairman sir . . . Cost effect oh.
Oloye, this your simple and humble question has stood long unanswered, and don't ask me why oh grin
From my calculation, this house is only 12feet by 33.9 feet, that is a total built area of 407 Sq;Feet.
With due respect to the Oga wey him get this house, it is a very small house and the cost of moving into it shouldn't be more than between 6,158 and 7,391 US dollars. N1.2 million naira at the most. Cost of land apart. This is possible in the South west here.

Sir, with this amount of money at your disposal and with an honest man at the other end (not the case study people oh), you and your madam can make it your petit Naija vacation home. A mini swimming pool to match would not be bad, at least until the need for a bigger something arises. Na so i see am oh, dis question no difficult na?

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Costa2000(m): 11:12am On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:
Oloye, this your simple and humble question has stood long unanswered, and don't ask me why oh grin
From my calculation, this house is only 12feet by 33.9 feet, that is a total built area of 407 Sq;Feet.
With due respect to the Oga wey him get this house, it is a very small house and the cost of moving into it shouldn't be more than between 6,158 and 7,391 US dollars. N1.2 million naira at the most. Cost of land apart. This is possible in the South west here.

Sir, with this amount of money at your disposal and with an honest man at the other end (not the case study people oh), you and your madam can make it your petit Naija vacation home. A mini swimming pool to match would not be bad, at least until the need for a bigger something arises. Na so i see am oh, dis question no difficult na?

Oga make u no vex oooo,keep ur calculation to urself.All u want is to start a fight with Oga spyder but it will not work for u,Spyder is a gentle man so make u pack well.

5 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by vivienbabe(f): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:

@the bolded is what you would have gone straight to say and you would have been a gentle man instead of all the side talks.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:

Oga Ekoibile, if nah for only N1.2m everybody for Nigeria for don get house oh! No, that money is too small.. But no need to rush, Oga Spyder always give us the finishing cost. He used to give us cost as he goes along but too many projects and those who always criticized him made him stop doing that. He is the most open guy on this forum. So just stay tuned.

Hajji M.

6 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by ekoibile: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
mufutau55:

Oga Ekoibile, if nah for only N1.2m everybody for Nigeria for don get house oh! No, that money is too small.. But no need to rush, Oga Spyder always give us the finishing cost. He used to give us cost as he goes along but too many projects and those who always criticized him made him stop doing that. He is the most open guy on this forum. So just stay tuned.

Hajji M.
Oga Mufu, that money no small at all at all! This is a secret majority of the builders in Naija are not ready to tell you. Me i no dey burst anybody oh, i'm only saying things the way i see them. But recall before the case study abracadabra, him wan build 2 rooms and inbuilt toilelt Bungalows for N1m in Enugu, for even less. [url]https://www.nairaland.com/972231/cost-conditions-building-these-types/2 [/url]. That's why i insist that this "case study" syndrome is disingenuous. Don't ban me yet oh.

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Fhemmmy: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:

Chairman, i am sure that at the right time, my Chairman at the Top, spyder will answer the question, i am not in a hurry cos he is a busy man with so much to do, so not to worry, just keep checking back and you will see my chairman at the top responding at the right time.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 6:45pm On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:
Oga Mufu, that money no small at all at all! This is a secret majority of the builders in Naija are not ready to tell you. Me i no dey burst anybody oh, i'm only saying things the way i see them. But recall before the case study abracadabra, him wan build 2 rooms and inbuilt toilelt Bungalows for N1m in Enugu, for even less. [url]https://www.nairaland.com/972231/cost-conditions-building-these-types/2 [/url]. That's why i insist that this "case study" syndrome is disingenuous. Don't ban me yet oh.

BAN you ke? Why Ban you! We are all here for discussions... We are all entitled to our opinions here because we should be adults.. and even small pickins who respect himself/herself can join the discussions. So we will discuss as an adult... and NO BANNING THREATS.

But I am sure Oga Spyder will elaborate on this later.. I know the N1.2m is not a small money at all.. I just meant for building that type of house, it may not be enough. Let's wait and hear from our Oga Spyder.

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by esoorita: 7:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
ekoibile:
Ekoibile, I don't know how you arrived at 1.2 Million Naira to build this type of house. I guessed you left Nigeria long time ago hence you've lost track of the cost of things. 1.2 Million Naira will not buy you a 12 year old banger car in Nigeria of today not to talk of building a house. In any case, if the cost of building a one bedroom house is 1.2 Million Naira, every piece of land in Nigeria would have been built up by now.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by ekoibile: 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
mufutau55:

BAN you ke? Why Ban you! We are all here for discussions... We are all entitled to our opinions here because we should be adults.. and even small pickins who respect himself/herself can join the discussions. So we will discuss as an adult... and NO BANNING THREATS.

But I am sure Oga Spyder will elaborate on this later.. I know the N1.2m is not a small money at all.. I just meant for building that type of house, it may not be enough. Let's wait and hear from our Oga Spyder.

Hajji M.

Sure, i will very much want to wait to know the difference between the N1million "2 room with inbuilt toilet" structure proposal he needed to or have submitted to Enugu government and the I room and sitting with in built toilet Bungalow whose cost he is still under studying here. Thank you sir.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by ekoibile: 7:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
esoorita:
Ekoibile, I don't know how you arrived at 1.2 Million Naira to build this type of house. I guessed you left Nigeria long time ago hence you've lost track of the cost of things. 1.2 Million Naira will not buy you a 12 year old banger car in Nigeria of today not to talk of building a house. In any case, if the cost of building a one bedroom house is 1.2 Million Naira, every piece of land in Nigeria would have been built up by now.

Me i dey live here na...But It seems you don't get the drift of this discuss.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by NL1960: 11:27am On Sep 09, 2014
A building depends on the level of finishing you want for it. Have people ever asked how farmers in the village who sometimes do not make up to 100k net per year from their farm work end up building a house that they live in. My people say that 'a building is just 4 walls and a roof' meaning that after the walls are up and it is roofed, whatever goes into depends on the person. N1.2m is a lot of money for village folks. My brother's friend just finished moulding 50 bags of cement in preparation for starting a bungalow. he did not buy sand. He just got some boys together who went about fetching erosion sand for him from the roadside for little amount. He will pay village labour rate too for the work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960: A building depends on the level of finishing you want for it. Have people ever asked how farmers in the village who sometimes do not make up to 100k net per year from their farm work end up building a house that they live in. My people say that 'a building is just 4 walls and a roof' meaning that after the walls are up and it is roofed, whatever goes into depends on the person. N1.2m is a lot of money for village folks. My brother's friend just finished moulding 50 bags of cement in preparation for starting a bungalow. he did not buy sand. He just got some boys together who went about fetching erosion sand for him from the roadside for little amount. He will pay village labour rate too for the work.
lol... but I don't understand what you mean by the emboldened. how many rooms would the said/proposed bungalow contain and is the 1.2 million the budgeted amount for this project? waiting... cool
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
esoorita:

foundation cost alone may have eaten almost half of that.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by vivienbabe(f): 2:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
2sExy1: lol... but I don't understand what you mean by the emboldened. how many rooms would the said/proposed bungalow contain and is the 1.2 million the budgeted amount for this project? waiting... cool
What NL1960 meant is that the man has moulded blocks worth 50 bags of cement. 50 bags of cement can mould 2000 very solid blocks, well enough to finish off a big 3 bedroom bungalow. I'm currently doing something like that and i've already gotten 3000 blocks.

Look, my brother, part of successfully rounding off a house of any size depends largely on your body language to the men on the ground. If you present yourself to them as one of them, they'll treat you as such and you'll know more. But if you come as a 'big boy or big girl", they will treat you accordingly. My hand bag is tightly tucked in my armpit and we melt up together. Nuff said.

3 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2014
vivienbabe:
What NL1960 meant is that the man has moulded blocks worth 50 bags of cement. 50 bags of cement can mould 2000 very solid blocks, well enough to finish off a big 3 bedroom bungalow. I'm currently doing something like that and i've already gotten 3000 blocks.

Look, my brother, part of successfully rounding off a house of any size depends largely on your body language to the men on the ground. If you present yourself to them as one of them, they'll treat you as such and you'll know more. But if you come as a 'big boy or big girl", they will treat you accordingly. My hand bag is tightly tucked in my armpit and we melt up together. Nuff said.
this got me cracking... lmao. I understand. Well let's see. Please based on your experience, how much would it cost to build a solid and beautiful 4 bedroom bungalow from start to finishing. Thanks.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by NL1960: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2014
vivienbabe:

Thank you my sister. Before i started my project, i did a deep study to know how the farmers in my village who do not make much money were able to build their houses. As i said finishing chops money and these farmers are not crazy about finishing. As i also mentioned in my post, they will not buy stand in tipper. Boys in the village will give them any quantity of erosion sand that they want. They will not buy wood from sawmill. They will just call a wood man to come and bring down a tree causing problems on their farmlands and they will use the wood. They try as much as possible to eliminate middle men.

Just to give an example of what i did of recent to mount my water tank. I was told to buy granite and after pasting the question here on property forum, Hajji and Spyder said that gravel is enough for the job. Iam now using gravel but i did not buy a tipper load of gravel. My brother just got some boys who went to our village gravel dump and within a few hours they had brought the required number of wheel barrows for just a pittance. Mmeanwhile, i was being told to cough out 20k for the granite. That 20k is what iam currently using for the entire job (transportation of the 19ft tank stand, gravel, cement, blinding, iron, labour etc) and change go still remain.

5 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by NL1960: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
2sExy1: foundation cost alone may have eaten almost half of that.

Foundation cost in a dry or waterlogged land?.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by NL1960: 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
vivienbabe:

Quite true. I called a furniture person to come and give me a quote for wardrobes for my village house project and the guy came and quoted N220k per wardrobe giving a cost of N880k for 4 wardrobes. When i asked him why so expensive, he said that the wardrobe will be MDF and have shoe rack, tie rack and all sorts of racks. I just told him that i had only 2 pairs of shoes (one pair of sandals and one pair of shoes) and so what do i need a shoe rack for?. Na so i almost take cutlass pursue am comot. grin

7 Likes

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by FastShipping: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960:

Quite true. I called a furniture person to come and give me a quote for wardrobes for my village house project and the guy came and quoted N220k per wardrobe giving a cost of N880k for 4 wardrobes. When i asked him why so expensive, he said that the wardrobe will be MDF and have shoe rack, tie rack and all sorts of racks. I just told him that i had only 2 pairs of shoes (one pair of sandals and one pair of shoes) and so what do i need a shoe rack for?. Na so i almost take cutlass pursue am comot. grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960:

grin grin grin you should have told have told him that you are related to the shoeless fisherman

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by HAH: 3:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
I think those saying N1.2M cannot build a basic 1 bedroom flat are clueless, well I have seen a two room BQ built for 1.5M , when I asked the builder he said he can do same with 1.2M but no DPC

The house is not in a village o but Abuja in an estate, and normally the cost is dependent on finishing and taste, if you use basic material I believe 1.2 is more than enough to build a room and parlour house.

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by Empiree: 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960:

grin grin grin No be him fault. He wanted to treat you like "5 star" average Joe
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by vivienbabe(f): 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960:

Thank you my sister. Before i started my project, i did a deep study to know how the farmers in my village who do not make much money were able to build their houses. As i said finishing chops money and these farmers are not crazy about finishing. As i also mentioned in my post, they will not buy stand in tipper. Boys in the village will give them any quantity of erosion sand that they want. They will not buy wood from sawmill. They will just call a wood man to come and bring down a tree causing problems on their farmlands and they will use the wood. They try as much as possible to eliminate middle men.

Just to give an example of what i did of recent to mount my water tank. I was told to buy granite and after pasting the question here on property forum, Hajji and Spyder said that gravel is enough for the job. Iam now using gravel but i did not buy a tipper load of gravel. My brother just got some boys who went to our village gravel dump and within a few hours they had brought the required number of wheel barrows for just a pittance. Mmeanwhile, i was being told to cough out 20k for the granite. That 20k is what iam currently using for the entire job (transportation of the 19ft tank stand, gravel, cement, blinding, iron, labour etc) and change go still remain.

Ever since reading Chief Okoya Thomas' humble approach to solving business matters, i've always tried to approach business matters in the same manner. I was surprised when in an interview the multi billionaire revealed how he jettisoned big contractors and started using direct labor to execute his buildings in the real estate sector. Since then, i have always said to myself if a big man like that could think in that way why won't i do same. And here you are not far away from that line of thought. The way you're managing that 20K is so striking grin
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
NL1960:

And see, they could not tell you that Gravels is not enough to erect the stand as opposed to Granite. We all collect and share knowledge on this forum. Imagine if you did not acquire that knowledge to tell them, NO, use only gravels... (they probably wondered where you learnt that) that hard earned N20K will go to useless route...

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
I wish I could join the discussion, but no time. Have to buy cement and start plastering this house today.

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
spyder880: I wish I could join the discussion, but no time. Have to buy cement and start plastering this house today.

Oga Spyder, the black color don't look bad at all...

Hajji M.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by spyder880(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
mufutau55:

Oga Spyder, the black color don't look bad at all...

Hajji M.

Its cool, just hoping the owner will like it since it was not his original choice.
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by kostadinis: 4:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
It appears the sellers have indirectly made a good choice of color for Oga landlord. From a distance one would think it's the usual stone coated tlles. It's looking good
Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by kopell: 5:01pm On Sep 09, 2014
@All this house building business no bi joke Ooo, especially people wey dey far away from Naija. We thank God and all the professional in the house, way take time to show and explain to many of us how thing being done here. I can't imagine how many of us that have lost money and will continue to losing money to family members and dubious contractor. If not for these guys. We most appreciate these guy Oooooo, my brothers.

1 Like

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by NL1960: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
mufutau55:

And see, they could not tell you that Gravels is not enough to erect the stand as opposed to Granite. We all collect and share knowledge on this forum. Imagine if you did not acquire that knowledge to tell them, NO, use only gravels... (they probably wondered where you learnt that) that hard earned N20K will go to useless route...

Hajji M.

Ever since i discovered Nairaland property section, i have turned to a building guru overnight. I wished i had discovered it earlier before i started the project, i would have done things differently but nothing much was lost because i was doing it in phases with a targeted completion period of 3-4 years. My brother who is the project coordinator, his assistant project coordinator and the builder are always baffled as to how i get to know so much. Yesterday, i told the painter to give me a quote for painting but he said that i should tell him how much i want to pay. He said that he is sure that i already know what it will cost since i now know so much about building. Iam still waiting for him to give me a quote and if he ventures give me a funny quote, i will daze him by lecturing him with my Nairaland Property section painting knowledge. I already have an idea of cost from Spyder's painting of his duplex.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. by mufutau55(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
kopell: @All this house building business no bi joke Ooo, especially people wey dey far away from Naija. We thank God and all the professional in the house, way take time to show and explain to many of us how thing being done here. I can't imagine how many of us that have lost money and will continue to losing money to family members and dubious contractor. If not for these guys. We most appreciate these guy Oooooo, my brothers.

Tell me about it... I have lost my own share of the loot. Nairaland really helps us out...
People wonder why Hajji is always here and always on almost every thread.. especially 99% of my time is spent in Properties Forums; I am here to learn and pass my learnt wisdom to others... and I am glad I am still learning day by day from real various Professionals here.

There are also few professionals who are not willing to teach here thinking they are giving away their trades, too bad for them though.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Much Was Your Monthly Earning When You Secured Your Own Apartment? / Welcome To Furniture Market Place / Cost Of Renting A 2 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos | Co-tenant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.