Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,835 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! (140651 Views)

This Is A Must Read For All, Especially married and Intending Couples / I Caught My Pastor-husband Naked, ‘counselling’ A Naked Church Member —wife / Fun- Bonding Activities For Couples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 19, 2014
That is where the problem is? I guess that is why life is life sha. Sometimes you come accross a sweet man with troublesome family members.....then u leave because of prospective inlaw wahala and probably meet an annoying asshole with a nice family that will always be there to cushion the effects of their sons's misbehaviours.....makes it diff to choose.

5 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by onegig(m): 5:48am On Jul 19, 2014
@hispinkolo
The least i would expect from a man is to protect his woman EVERYWHERE. I don't know how he goes on to say he is the head when he can't protect his wife from bullying from his own family members.

When she does wrong, he should correct her and when someone from his family does wrong to her he should learn to caution that person in a MATURED way and without bias.

I can't imagine someone from my family(that person wan enter my eternal blacklist) disrespecting her neither would i expect her to go on disrespecting someone also. The rules are always crystal clear.

Maybe if guys learn that an insult on her is an insult on your person. Just maybe they would be alive to their responsibility. Also an insult on any of your family members from anyone is an insult on you too. When you see things this way, it won't be hard making the right judgement.

....If i want to dissect your post well. I would say you share a big part of the blames you encountered here. But are we here to lay blames? No. We are here to learn but Please just note the following;

I suppose you guys don't live together. I mean all those extended family members.

If so... I am finding it hard how a birthday of your child which should be a PRIVATE affair turns out to be an avenue where you are expecting "big gifts" from people who have little or nothing to do with the event. Also when you give things out(gifts), do you do them to get a return favour? Why am i stressing this point? Remember when i said ladies should learn to be independent and avoid unnecessary activities and familiarity earlier? You sure don't need their gifts nor is their presence gonna add any spice to the program so why stress them?

Truth is the ladies/wives are the ones most of the time who go out of their ways to entice trouble. They then return home to "shout" blue murder. Just learn to limit unnecessary activities.

Also i don't understand the thinking of the average Nigerian lady who's about getting married. You don't need to compromise on your ideals while trying to fit in. When visiting your inlaws, act your normal self. You are the guest for goodness sake. No need to go overboard with your familiarity. I am ashamed to say that most lack self respect and when you lack that i don't see how you expect someone else to respect you. They are the ones to warm up to you and make you feel accepted not the other way round but i guess since MANY are desperate or maybe its due to their naivety they would do anything just to be accepted and fit in even if it means being rolled and butchered in the mud.

Not saying ladies should turn out to be SAUCY and PROUD. You can be free with everyone. It however doesn't mean you are open to being rolled over and disrespected.

Glad to know you have learnt all those little things now.

Though i strongly believe family ties should be strenghtened always but please not at the cost of losing your sanity.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by LewsTherin: 7:34am On Jul 19, 2014
onegig:

Also i don't understand the thinking of the average Nigerian lady who's about getting married. You don't need to compromise on your ideals while trying to fit in. When visiting your inlaws, act your normal self. You are the guest for goodness sake. No need to go overboard with your familiarity. I am ashamed to say that most lack self respect and when you lack that i don't see how you expect someone else to respect you. They are the ones to warm up to you and make you feel accepted not the other way round but i guess since MANY are desperate or maybe its due to their naivety they would do anything just to be accepted and fit in even if it means being rolled and butchered in the mud.

Not saying ladies should turn out to be SAUCY and PROUD. You can be free with everyone. It however doesn't mean you are open to being rolled over and disrespected.

Though i strongly believe family ties should be strenghtened always but please not at the cost of losing your sanity.

While I don't agree with everything you said, I agree very much with this one. Robert Heinlin said "going with the flow means you shoul roll with the punch and not stool for the guards." Even the Bible where it says you should live peacefully with all men qualifies the statement with "as much as it is within you !"

Your familes should know what you stand for right from the beginning. @Hispinkolo if you had taken a contrary and contentious stand with your in-laws before you guys got married and your guy left you high and dry, would you have gone on with it? I know you love the guy to bits. But would you have agreed to live with him knowing fully well he wouldn't have your back against his own family?
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by cococandy(f): 8:10am On Jul 19, 2014
If your MIL has apologized,pls forgive her whole heartedly. It must have taken her a lot of pride swallowing and humble pie eating to be able to apologize to a younger person.
Forget whatever it is she did and stop reminding yourself about it. The more you remember it,the more you'll feel resentment and resentment builds up.

I'm not saying you should go back on your decision of being aloof and minding your business. That's ok as long as inside you you're not harboring resentment towards her.

As for your SILs/BILs,they are not your business. Just ignore them. But treat your MIL as you would treat an errant mother..
hispinkolo: It's very difficult to walk the walk especially when hubby is the diplomatic type who will try to avoid wahala at all costs,always leaving you to defend yourself.
My inlaws have backstabbed me well well.I believe i'm married into a family of pretenders.
When i was pregnant,hubby and i decided to tell no one till we were 4 months along because i had health issues..Fastforward to this year,Brother in law and wife came to ours for holidays and i was shocked to see her big belle..We were on bb etc and it wasn't mentioned,hubby was shocked too and asked why they didn't talk and the wife said she thought her hubby had mentioned it..
Well,i said alright no wahala,i felt it was like revenge for not telling them about mine till 4 months.I now asked excitedly what are you having,SIS in law said she doesn't know,brother in law contradicted..evidently sis in law was lying..i said hmmm okayy.They had a great time in my home,behaviour off at times but no one is perfect jare.

Couple of weeks later hubby called them to ask how their ultrasound went,and asked if they have finally confirmed what they were having and brother in law told him the sex of the baby but asked him specifically not to tell me.Unfortunately for him,i heard when he said it.And i confirmed i was actually singled out.
These are people that are always disturbing me to help them do this and that etc.I was extremely offended and expected my hubby to at least speak up but as usual,nothing.
It has affected my relationship with them as it made me remember other instances where BIL's wife would tell me one thing and do another.I am now just cordial and courteous to them.No more extending myself and bending over backwards.I do what i can do for them and nothing more..They asked me for my daughters clothes and i gave them a bunch even though i was so annoyed as this is the baby they were hiding from me.They wrote list for me,help me buy this help me buy that..i bought because its for their older child oo but i didn't do it with my heart.
I felt soo betrayed as I thought we were close..I now generally avoid any unnecessary discussion with them and that's it.

MIL,I took as my own mother..I confided in her and she twisted my words and cussed me out..She later apologised but I cant forget it..Visited her for holidays.She acted cold to me for leaving the house on the morning of an occassion,not knowing i was going to arrange a gift for her.I later told her that's what i went to do and i'm sure she was ashamed of her behaviour.BUT the way she acted is still imprinted on my memory..This is a woman that is soo demanding and always calls me to buy things for her.

SIL..first day she saw me she said that the day they would want to make a decision as a family and my husband says let him ask his wife first,that someone will go to prison.She has insulted my parents as well..not to my face though..
Ofcourse i'm not totally blameless..I am very opinionated and speak my mind,lol.When i do that,i may appear abrasive when i don't intend to.

I spoke with my parents about all these and was told to do my best,just basically be polite and do what i need to do.
That has been my motto for this year.Arms length.MIL maybe is having a conscience crisis cos she's been calling too often.I say what i need to and that's it.I can't just get past things she said to me..I'm sure she would never speak to any of her kids the way she did to me and i told her that.
Family dynamics differ ...Especially when you feel the hubby doesn't have your back,so you fight your battles solo..It's been a learning curve for me and i'm doing as my parents have advised.No more saying my opinions ,i now just concur..yes and no..no more personal gists.

When you are told to look into a family before entering,it seems like a joke BUT if i had known what i know now,i'd have bailed.Hubby is a fantastic man but his behaviour makes me feel he is spineless and somehow makes me resent him.

LIFE....

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 19, 2014
@onegig
Yes,I share a huge part of the blame ,I also expect too much
On the gift thing,i dunno o.In my family we give gifts,especially to kids,the Sils have never given any from birth till today..It's a big deal not because I give and expect back,but because it is odd..
I honestly shrouded everything under the guise of being nice..After the Sils said nasty things(not to my face),I minimised interacting with them,except happy birthday calls or if anything extremely necessary plus MIL was always on my case to try to close the bridge..
Note that the real animosity came out when I refused the idea..We had somehow been managing

I flay myself when I think of how stupid I've been..I wasn't desperate so I was on my own before the wedding and didn't do the pretence thing..I didn't do the eye service cleaning and cooking but I had a great relationship with my parents in law.Its always been mainly the SILs and I felt I'd be able to handle them.
It was immediately after the wedding that Sils started because I said no to something they wanted at the wedding and hubby backed me.I never knew years down the line that he'd backpedal.
Anyway,my FIRST mistake was acting fakery good and saying sorry to the SILS for the sake of it..I didn't know what I was apologising for but I just did it cos MIL had started harping on about bringing division to the family,I did it for my hubby.
I found out 3 years later that they were accusing me of somethingelse entirely and I apologised for it unknowingly.Then,they waged a war against hubby by kinda alienating him,no calls ,strained convo etc..I looked for trouble by trying to bridge the gap.Trying to make him close to them again.I hate siblings fighting but then I was blamed.That his behaviour changed after marrying..

It's sooo complicated.I made tooo many mistakes,way too many & the funny thing is they came after marriage.
Truth is that in courting peace,I made mistakes..I was over friendly with BIL and his wife cos I TRULY liked them..my mistake
My co wives,I don't really blame them cos they had to join the winning party grin

@cococandy
I'm trying so hard but I believe MIL doesn't want to lose me cos I'm her baffs supplier.They usually go through me to get stuff cos hubby is always busy.I don't feel she's sincere..but I have to forgive to move on.She didn't start the sorry,I went first as usual..I'm always saying sorry when I feel I've mis stepped then she now said her own too.Good of her,I agree but it's still hard for me..

@Lewstherin
I would have escaped or at least raised hell.I don't really know.He stood up with me once against the SILS and suffered for it,lol.

Truth is there should be a line right from the get go,after marriage the line became blurred.My resistance to something for caused this whole avalanche.. grin. Make una learn ooooo
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 10:57am On Jul 19, 2014
Like hispinkolo rightly said, its good to draw the line right from the get go and its not good to start what you cannot fininsh. I am not the eye service type neither am I the type that do the over familiarity stuffs. I never did with my in-laws. I've always liked to be on my own, talk only when its necessary, I don't expect anything from anyone, buh the human nature in us will always look forward to one or two good tidings especially from people you take as yours and equally treat the same.

14 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2014
Sometimes people draw wahala their way from the onset with eye service and tinz. One time we had a family occasion.....my uncle brought his fiancee around.....it wasn't so big a gathering....it was an inhouse kinda thing.....so myself and my cousins in my age group were serving food....washing plates...etc. Only for me to see my uncle's babe lingering in the corner.....looking like "lemme not leave dem to do the work alone"
I told her to go and sit down, she didn't have to bother trying to help cuz she's our guest, we'll do everything ourselves. She didn't answer....so me I just kept doing my work. But she looked pitiable to me, becuz she's not agemates with any of us there.......so I kept wondering why she would do that to herself....cuz God knows I can't. On my first visit! Haba. It mite even av been a different issue if it was the brother's mom and sisters in the kitchen....
If they start to treat her anyhow......I think she invited it.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by bellong: 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2014
There will be less trouble in in-laws relationships when everybody realises that once married, the guy or lady has become part of the family.

I have a cordial relationship with my in-law and everyone of them knows my stand on issues. My wife in turn has a very good working relationship with my folks. My wife and my mum are best of friends, an outsider wouldn't know she is a daughter-in-law. If my mum needs something and she is sure I would say NO knowing my stand about some stuffs, she uses my wife to get what she wants. They are that close.

When the two are together, I am usually "marginalized" from their women talk.

We should also understand that our carriage, attitude and maturity determines reactions of the in-laws. My first encounter with my FIL wasn't a palatable one because he didn't and still doesn't (except for me) trust Lagosians because of his numerous past experiences. How I handled the situation and subsequent issues won his heart over. Today, he treats me as the first born he lost some years ago. A lot of people do ask what I used for my FIL. The key is understanding people and relate with them according to themselves.

Advice to singles is to study your intending partner and the family very well, if it something you can live with, go ahead and if not make a u-turn to prevent stories that touch.

5 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Pholarchemee: 5:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
Are you dealing with some emotional problems? Do you need someone to share your feelings with? Is your relationship about to crumble and need someone to help you get it back? Why not add Emotion Doctor on bbm channels C00151ADE .. Trust me, you won't regret this. Thank me later
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Fhemmmy: 7:27pm On Jul 19, 2014
bodashee: Sometimes people draw wahala their way from the onset with eye service and tinz. One time we had a family occasion.....my uncle brought his fiancee around.....it wasn't so big a gathering....it was an inhouse kinda thing.....so myself and my cousins in my age group were serving food....washing plates...etc. Only for me to see my uncle's babe lingering in the corner.....looking like "lemme not leave dem to do the work alone"
I told her to go and sit down, she didn't have to bother trying to help cuz she's our guest, we'll do everything ourselves. She didn't answer....so me I just kept doing my work. But she looked pitiable to me, becuz she's not agemates with any of us there.......so I kept wondering why she would do that to herself....cuz God knows I can't. On my first visit! Haba. It mite even av been a different issue if it was the brother's mom and sisters in the kitchen....
If they start to treat her anyhow......I think she invited it.

I so much disagree with you, in a country like Nigeria where everyone and everything is judge with the lens and eye glass of culture, the lady did the right thing... she would be judged still if she never helped.

13 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by imurboss: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2014
@snazzy love,great thread here. Please come back to give us the latest outcome on how the issue with Sil was handled, the thread is very interesting don't let it die yet,lol.

I'm really learning a lot though i've got my own stories too. The best is to treat everybody equally,do the best u can & leave the rest to God.For me, I don't have Mil/Film but Sils & Bils who are not nice at all. Thank God they showed me their true colour early enough(just 8mths into the marriage) but were very nice to me before the marriage. It was as if I came to steal something away from them. Well I've since put them where they belong,no too much interaction,friendship from a distant.

Snazzy love I'm waiting for ur story
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by dad007(m): 9:54pm On Jul 19, 2014
I have had a tough time dealing with issues expecially when I
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by dad007(m): 10:15pm On Jul 19, 2014
I have had a tough time dealing with issues expecially when I and my wife was living in my family house due to hard time. My wife would tell me things that went wrong but she never confronted anyone,be it my mother or my sisters.Why? because I had made her to understand that anything that concern my relatives should be left for me to handle. Anyway,after I have found out about what she told is true,then I would do the confronting myself.But mind you,not everything she tells me I act opon.Infact,there are some cases I made her to understand to be non-important....Uhmmmm,my humble submission.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
The husband and I had a loong talk today..
I poured out my heart,my anger,my disappointments.I had smoke pouring outta my nostrils and ears like a dragon just from pent up emotions.

No shouting or screaming though..but he asked me why I didn't listen to him on this particular occasion n I said it was because I didn't trust he would stand up for me if need be.He said I've tried as per relationship wise and we agreed that from today,he will handle anything that has to do with them..And also said I shouldn't totally severe my relationship with them the way I'd planned to.

He apologised for not stepping up where he should n also made me see where I went wrong,that I shouldn't have engaged them in conversation at all about my own opinion cos no matter what they wouldn't back me once the SILs have decided Sth for the family.
Well,same as my parents said,their family,their problem..I'm not one of them and Daz all.

He promised that he will be better and what happened will never ever happen again.We had a family hug plus tears and planned for other things but the kid has refused to sleep till now so no hope on solidifying our promises to each other undecided

I pray things will definitely be better and I know I'll never repeat my mistakes.Time will heal all wounds but let's all move to our tents o Israel.

We shall fake it till we make it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by chayooh(f): 2:52am On Jul 20, 2014
@Snazzy and hispinkolo, I identify with you oh! In my case, I am much younger than my in-laws especially because of the age gap between hubby and I. Most times I'm treated like the small girl who doesn't know anything.

4 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 20, 2014
Hispinkolo....happy to hear how you sorted stuff. I luv happy endings....or continuations
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2014
I have always kept a respectable distance, everyone is too busy to know or care about what the other is doing.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by ladycomfort(f): 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
i must confess, this thread is very educative.at least am preparing my mind towards marriage
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 7:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
Adios!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by LewsTherin: 8:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
^^^Kudos to you dear. Just reading your post was getting me all worked up. Talk about abdication of responsibility. Worse, I am wired not to accept divorce which made reading yourstory even more infuriating. It's nice to know your husband stepped up. We men aren't all that bad wink wink

6 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
ThankGod he did something about the situation on time. Kai....I pray with this my hothead I can handle issues maturely. With someone like my type....dey won't beg the SIL before she goes by the time I start oversalting her food regularly.

5 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by FINA4804(f): 10:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
@snazzy love that was a matured approach, thank God for taking control of the situation.Sometimes try and call your SIL, MY Hubby always say that love from afar is sweeter.I have learnt from your experience, I pray that God will continue to give us wisdom.

@bodashee, I can't stop laughing
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by isokey: 10:12am On Jul 21, 2014
What a thread! @snazzylove, seriously i commend ur tolerance and maturity. They've only made u stronger n wiser.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by krystal101(f): 6:54pm On Jul 21, 2014
I very much support the love from afar thing! B4 I got married, I had a quarrel with my SILs, they were saying terrible stuffs about me to hubby's EX who is still their friend. So they had a misunderstanding with d babe, & she told me, I was heartbroken & uncontrollable, I bursted too & said lots.
Till today I never forget the scenario, how they said hubby wasn't their bro cos he was in support of me. It was more painful cos I took them as my sis'

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by elektra(f): 8:17am On Jul 22, 2014
This threat is something. I've been angered, smiled and laughed while reading these pages.

Thank God the issues have been resolved snazzylove and hispinkolo.

I've put myself in your shoes and I don't know how I would have handled these situations. May God continue to grant you wisdom in running your homes.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by freecocoa(f): 12:57pm On Jul 22, 2014
hispinkolo: Definitely,I have my faults..100%..who doesn't?But you will never catch me exchanging words,insulting,being disrespectful(on purpose)..NEVER.
My major fault is that when i believe in something,i fight hard for it,and i will state my opinion backing it with facts.I hate being told what to do without explanation especially from someone who is not even nice to me..

I expected to be accepted warts and all not just to be the perfect daughter in law,i'm not a stepford pikin.
Honestly,this is the first time in my life i'm facing hostility..

For the Brother in law and wife,I didn't do anything to warrant being singled out..I actually thought we were tight so i was shocked when i heard him say specifically that i shouldn't be told the sex of their child..I reasoned that maybe they don't want to tell people,but it hurt more when i found out that they told others..it was just me.. smiley

For MIL..I had a standard misunderstanding with her..called her,spoke with her in confidence only for her to twist my words and her reaction was wayyyy wayyy overboard.the statements she made to me,i can never forget.I took her as my mom for Chrissakes..My mom would NEVER treat me that way.I even used to joke with her that she's partial as she always finds a way to make excuses for her kids misbehaving..Her grouse was that i refused vehemently to follow the idea..In the end i accepted just to avoid wahala though..This is the first argument i've had with her in four years,lol..When i stayed with her for a while,even when i was annoyed,i'd look past anything as per daughterly love and i'm sure she also overlooked anything I did..I just now know that when it comes to her real kids,even when they are wrong,she will be in their corner.I know that once she's with her daughters her behaviour towards me is generally not nice

SILs..hostile from day one.Said nasty things about my folks.But I still made an effort.I even found out one was bearing a grudge about something i didn't do...
It's crayzeeeeeeeeee.
I stand for myself since hubby cannot stand up and fight for me..Werrin man go do.My parents faulted my giving my opinion as it's not my family..BUT thing is I entered there,accepting everyone and thinking that I was now a member of the family like the real kids..lol
I thought they were now my family..

As I mentioned before,I am now wiser... OR maybe there's something wrong with me.
I thank God that since i've kept my distance they are now the ones running helter skelter.
i may need special deliverance.. grin

My question is this : Since you are claiming as a SIL or MIL you are my family,if i wrong you,cant you say so? You don't behave that way to your own family..

Remember i don't think they are bad people,once upon a time,I loved them and went out of my way to be nice till i realised that it's only when i'm good i'm loved..when i'm angry i'm now a bad person..Would you be that way to your sibling or your kid?NO.
Some words once spoken can never be taken back..MIL has apologised but it's difficult for me to get past it,coupled with the new one she acted again..She said sorry again but the damage has been done.

Meanwhile,hubby is a good loving man..he just has F9 in this area.He was okay if i refused to go with the status quo oo but I just thought about it well..no skin off my back plus with all my parents said..I just have turned a new leaf...distant

I had to tell my parents cos i felt soooo alone with no one i could trust,no one in my corner..No one to fight for me..I got strength and insight from them and my grandparents.

I'm 150% sure there are fantastic inlaws out there..
Somewhere in my heart,I still love my MIL and FIL they are nice people ..it's just sad that some things have happened and I can never trust any of them again.Never ever.
You sound so much like me,though I don't know how to resent people sha, when they hurt me so much that I find it hard to get past what they did or go back to normal, I just forget they exist, in my house everyone has a voice, how do I just lose it because I want to please some people? Hmm marriage.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by heywhyho(f): 1:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
Pls my fiancee his a twin, and i call his his twin brother kenny,their sister just called my fiancee that am disrespecting his twin because I didn't call him brother kenny, am i suppose to call him brother kehinde,cos d first time we meet we didn't av any misunderstanding whatsoever, am I suppose too call him brother ni?
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by snazzylove: 1:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
heywhyho: Pls my fiancee his a twin, and i call his his twin brother kenny,their sister just called my fiancee that am disrespecting his twin because I didn't call him brother kenny, am i suppose to call him brother kehinde,cos d first time we meet we didn't av any misunderstanding whatsoever, am I suppose too call him brother ni?

Lol. Different strokes. Well my dear it depends on the age of the twin brother and equally how the family looks at such things. In my family for instance, you don't address your elder by his or her name. As a matter of fact, I address my immediate elder sister as 'sister Blessing', that was the orientation I was given. So when I got married, I found it very awkward and disrespectful when my SILs that am far older than were addressing my hussy and I by our names. I didn't find it funny at all, I had to caution them.
So in essence, whatever is obtainable in their family, abide by it as long as it has no negative impact on ur relationship. But I'll take exception if the person is younger than you, but if he's older it won't kill you to add that 'brother' or even 'bros', am sure its going to be once in a while thing, cos you won't get to be seeing him everyday.

Regards!

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2014
heywhyho: Pls my fiancee his a twin, and i call his his twin brother kenny,their sister just called my fiancee that am disrespecting his twin because I didn't call him brother kenny, am i suppose to call him brother kehinde,cos d first time we meet we didn't av any misunderstanding whatsoever, am I suppose too call him brother ni?

O ga ooo. Ma'am, pls what's the age difference btwn you two......if its srz.....you can consider calling him "brosk K" for the sake of peace. If its one or two year difference......my advice.....don't give eye service respect that will pave the way for people to start stepping on ur head later.....

Its just my opinion tho.....

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by freecocoa(f): 1:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
Wow Snazzylove, felt like I was watching an episode of a really interesting series, I'm glad you finally get to have some fresh air but madam you try o, I'm a zillion percent sure if my future MIL or anyone for that matter, tells me I have to dress a certain way, I'd tell them there and then that I won't because I'm comfortable in what I wear cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by freecocoa(f): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2014
Lmao grin, chai what won't one hear in this world as regards marriage/relationships? As for me o, if I can call his twin brother who is my fiance by name, then I ain't calling him no brother or any special title, except maybe he's like 15 years older than me grin.

7 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 22, 2014
Snazzy,
Very well handled,Kudos to you.You have tried.

Bodashee thanks oo.I'm watching him closely these days though I will try my possible best to avoid any interaction that will lead to him needing to say anything for me.

Freecocoa
My dear,you don't have a voice in my new family.My SILs can sew dress,same cloth,same style and force you to wear it at a family event.They call it family decision.If you resist, them say you are feeling too big and should be grateful they are helping you out .I believe they also like to think they are fashionable..No comment. lipsrsealed. I just look and laugh inside.

Heywhyho,
Join the o yes club..if they attach Bros/Sir/Oga to call themselves in their family,just get in line.You can cuss him out in your mind if you want.depends largely on their culture..remember that calling sister ,brother,whatever doesn't take anything from you.
I call my SILs Sister A or B even though I feel a rise of bile in my throat each time I see them.Even greeting them in the morning gives me heartburn.

We all have to pretend my dear but we all know the truth..I'd rather have my teeth pulled without anaesthesia than spend a second in their company.

Chayoooo
Sorry oo..best keep your distance for your own good.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (67) (Reply)

Man Catches His Wife Sleeping With Another Man; Takes A Selfie With Them (Pix) / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Married Woman Kissing Her Secret Lover Gets Stuck To His Lips(photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.