Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! - Family (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! (140683 Views)

This Is A Must Read For All, Especially married and Intending Couples / I Caught My Pastor-husband Naked, ‘counselling’ A Naked Church Member —wife / Fun- Bonding Activities For Couples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 4:53pm On Oct 27, 2014
amakah61:
Hello house, pls I want to know if its possible get married and live happily without courtship ?. Ok here's d story, I have a bf of two yrs who is not yet ready for marriage(he told me so). Resently, a man is asking for my hand in marriage though he knows that I have a bf. Am still wondering how we will live in the same house if I eventually accept his proposal when I dnt even know his character. With the kind of stories I've read here, am so scared.

Get to know this man, ask questions too.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by MadCow1: 4:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
amakah61:
Hello house, pls I want to know if its possible get married and live happily without courtship ?. Ok here's d story, I have a bf of two yrs who is not yet ready for marriage(he told me so). Resently, a man is asking for my hand in marriage though he knows that I have a bf. Am still wondering how we will live in the same house if I eventually accept his proposal when I dnt even know his character. With the kind of stories I've read here, am so scared.

Yes it is possible to get married to a Man you have not courted for long.... But its not Advisable.

Its like a gamble.. And you know that gambling is bad, especially when the stakes are your future.

Mad Cow..

4 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Ilovenigeria(f): 4:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
beeevan:

My dear run far from instant marriage abeg, a man that isn't interested in checking compatibility with a potential spouse can't be worth much up there.
Thank you very much. I hate it when people say stuffs like "opportunity comes but once" or "by now you would have been married to this man with 2 kids". I stopped going to my aunt's house because anytime I visited she must tell a story of how my suitor bought land, house or car for the wife or how they travelled abroad mstewww.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2014
edwife:

And this is what i see most during christmas back home.A guy living abroad or lagos will just see a damsel in december,next thing he wants to do introduction before leaving for his base.

How will the girl/guy show their true colors when you live separately and only communicate over the phone. undecided

It is very sad.....the way marriage has been mishandled.

My lodge mate got married 12 days after meeting a dude that returned from Malaysia. Actually the dude came into their compound because he heard there are lots of girls there. He met the father who arraigned all his daughters so the returnee can hand pick, he chose one of her siblings but changed his mind when they told him she hasn't entered uni yet, he then chose my lodge mate who married him within 12 days. Some girls n marriage sha... undecided
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by edwife(f): 5:00pm On Oct 27, 2014
sueplumz:
Best thread ever. I really have to commend all the men and women who have shared, posted and advised, this is the kind of stuff people pay a lot of money to get and we are here getting it free of charge. I really appreciate. I never really wanted to post but after reading every bit of the posts here (I still can’t believe I did) I mustered courage to post. This mind sound silly to most people but it’s actually an issue for me so here I go………… I once dated a guy on and off for 3 years. The reason for the on and off being that although he was a really nice and funny person, he exaggerated a lot and told many lies and made promises he couldn’t keep. Then I was home waiting for NYSC so I just continued dating him. He always had this dream of going abroad which at first was the reason I accepted to go out with him (he really dint give me any chance with his toasting) because I felt he was going to let me be finally when he travels iv actually had that experience once. Ok the traveling stuff was beginning to take time and being close to him now I was now wondering why he thought going to abroad to do drugs was the best option. He told me he was a graduate and had served too I then asked him to just get a job since he also told me he had some connections in some good places one could work. I tried and tried but it didn’t work till finally he traveled to one of our African countries by then I was done serving and moved back to stay with my mum. During these times, we still talked and all but he wasn’t the only guy I talked to on phone and though he promised and swore to come back and marry me it didn’t go down quite well with me. My Pastor likes him and always believed I was going to marry him but what I didn’t quite understand was if he knew what this guy was into and all but I kept praying cz I believe more in the prayer I say for myself. Soon after, I got married to my Husband. Sometime this year, this guy now called me on phone telling me that the only person that now understood him was my sister and he wants to get married to her when he comes by January, I asked him why he was telling me and he said he hasn’t told my sis. Later I called my sis and asked about the guy and she confirmed they’ve been talking and all, and he asked her to marry him. I was surprised at first but then I know she’s really naive so I didn’t say anything but the issue is I do not know how to advice my sis without sounding like a broken record. I told my husband and he said I need to let her know what she is getting into but how do I even know what she is getting into? For all I know he might have changed then again she might be making a mistake, How can I tell?

What I don't understand is,was your sister not aware of you and the said guy?How can she even consider talking with him after you have cut all liaisons with him?

What a mess! undecided

Better tell your sister,and for the guy i really don't give a hoot about him.He can go on and marry anything but not in your family.(especially your sister)

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by pickabeau1: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2014
beeevan:

Be nice angry

I have not said anything yet
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by edwife(f): 5:08pm On Oct 27, 2014
beeevan:

My lodge mate got married 12 days after meeting a dude that returned from Malaysia. Actually the dude came into their compound because he heard there are lots of girls there. He met the father who arraigned all his daughters so the returnee can hand pick, he chose one of her siblings but changed his mind when they told him she hasn't entered uni yet, he then chose my lodge mate who married him within 12 days. Some girls n marriage sha... undecided

Nawa o,and the one that got me upset recently was my friend's niece who got married to a guy she met during christmas,she took in for him after only 3 months of courtship.Everything regarding the marriage was done within 6 months,and she has 3 kids now in a space of 2 and half years.The girl looks 10 years older and seriously regretting and complaining to anyone who cares to listen.

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 27, 2014
@bellong thanks for your advice, about the connections I cant say cz I never confirmed.
@rebella: Yes she is my younger sis and I know she doesn't know what she wants and I also know I would never wish someone like that for any of my siblings. I'll just tell her all I know and watch as things unfold. Though I'm really surprised, something tells me this will blow over and I hope it does.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 27, 2014
Thank you
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 5:13pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

Thank you very much. I hate it when people say stuffs like "opportunity comes but once" or "by now you would have been married to this man with 2 kids". I stopped going to my aunt's house because anytime I visited she must tell a story of how my suitor bought land, house or car for the wife or how they travelled abroad mstewww.

In this life, what will be will be, i never thought I did be married as early as I did because I have no interest in dating. I believe in love and attraction, until I feel that, nah single hood get me. Avoid such toxic aunts abeg, Marriage doesn't make life perfect, marriage is responsibility, i don't know why people are bullying others into it. Marry when you are feeling it .Always maintain the mind set that marriage is not a do or die affair, nothing is....

4 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 5:16pm On Oct 27, 2014
pickabeau1:

I have not said anything yet

Bring back our BB and the original PB angry.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by MadCow1: 5:18pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

You mean a Man who wanted to marry you has now bought a Land, built house and bought a big jeep for his wife?! shocked shocked shocked shocked

And ontop that, he has taken the Woman to Overs?! shocked

*I am in tears.. I cant believe it.. How did you miss such a Good quality Man?! *

Kai!!!!! Go and beg him na, maybe he can consider you for second wife. cry

2 Likes

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 5:20pm On Oct 27, 2014
edwife:

Nawa o,and the one that got me upset recently was my friend's niece who got married to a guy she met during christmas,she took in for him after only 3 months of courtship.Everything regarding the marriage was done within 6 months,and she has 3 kids now in a space of 2 and half years.The girl looks 10 years older and seriously regretting and complaining to anyone who cares to listen.

3months is enough to know someone, the guy just no be material. I Feel sorry for her, advise her to go for FP, dust her cert and start job hunting if she no fit fall out.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by pickabeau1: 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2014
lol...
beeevan:

Bring back our BB and the original PB angry.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
@Godmystrength,
I hope that you find peace through this difficult time and that somehow,you come out of this stronger and wiser..

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Ilovenigeria(f): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2014
MadCow1:

You mean a Man who wanted to marry you has now bought a Land, built house and bought a big jeep for his wife?! shocked shocked shocked shocked

And ontop that, he has taken the Woman to Overs?! shocked

*I am in tears.. I cant believe it.. How did you miss such a Good quality Man?! *

Kai!!!!! Go and beg him na, maybe he can consider you for second wife. cry
Madcow I feel like biting you.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by MadCow1: 5:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

Madcow I feel like biting you.

Lol...

Im just kidding darling, I am sure you know that... grin

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by ayaomoade: 5:37pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godmystrength:
I haven't posted in a while because so many things were unfolded and i am yet to come to terms with that sad sad. The only update i can give for now is that the lady is leaving by month end. In fact, right now she is not in my house. She is with her sister and i am only waiting for month end so i can just pay her october salary and (depending on how i feel at that time),the money hubby is owing her...

To all those who asked after me, i am fine . Thanks for the love.... In due time, i might let you all in the full details

God wiĺl strengthen and give you peace in Jesus name. It is well with you.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by rebella(f): 5:45pm On Oct 27, 2014
sueplumz:
@bellong thanks for your advice, about the connections I cant say cz I never confirmed.
@rebella: Yes she is my younger sis and I know she doesn't know what she wants and I also know I would never wish someone like that for any of my siblings. I'll just tell her all I know and watch as things unfold. Though I'm really surprised, something tells me this will blow over and I hope it does.
I hope it does too, since she is your younger sister it should be easier to talk to her, depending on the relationship you both have. How old is she ?
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 27, 2014
rebella:

I hope it does too, since she is your younger sister it should be easier to talk to her, depending on the relationship you both have. How old is she ?

She's 24 and we have a good relationship that's why I want to believe that she doesn't know what she wants. I'm treading softly so as not to drive her far.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by edwife(f): 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2014
beeevan:

3months is enough to know someone, the guy just no be material. I Feel sorry for her, advise her to go for FP, dust her cert and start job hunting if she no fit fall out.

As for me 3 months is not enough but if both are bent on making it work and give your best shot then its can be applicable.

The girl still in school,i think this is her final year.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by bellong: 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

Thank you very much bellong, @giving me time means that time we get to know each other. For instance someone visited your parents on 23 December and wants to do introduction on 27th then traditional marriage on 6th January, all that is needed is for you to say yes.

Aha ha ha ha.. This is one na black market... grin cheesy

Run away from such men.

Do not let anybody irrespective of status make you regret a good decision.

A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possession.

Better is little with contentment than a house filled with meats but with chaos.

Single hood will not last forever... There are still many good men out there that will come for you.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Ilovenigeria(f): 6:01pm On Oct 27, 2014
MadCow1:

Lol...

Im just kidding darling, I am sure you know that... grin

yeah I know. E dey pain sometimes shaaa.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by rebella(f): 6:02pm On Oct 27, 2014
sueplumz:

She's 24 and we have a good relationship that's why I want to believe that she doesn't know what she wants. I'm treading softly so as not to drive her far.
then it should be easier to talk to her.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

Thank you very much bellong, @giving me time means that time we get to know each other. For instance someone visited your parents on 23 December and wants to do introduction on 27th then traditional marriage on 6th January, all that is needed is for you to say yes.

At first i wanted to say its okay not to have a long courtship thinking you meant a year or something but 2 weeks chai, i no gree. They just want a wife any wife and have a mindset.

Please dont feel pressured, leave all those aunts, na so them use me talk now them dey use me do example as the one wey get brain.

Marriage is serious business its not an emergency Christmas deal. Please date, i dated for less than a year even though within the first 2 weeks we were talking possibility of marriage no one pushed other and issued threats. We knew we wanted to be together but still took time to date and enjoy dating and also learn to understand each other.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 7:06pm On Oct 27, 2014
edwife:

As for me 3 months is not enough but if both are bent on making it work and give your best shot then its can be applicable.

The girl still in school,i think this is her final year.

A week is enough for me sef, i follow my instincts and it has never failed me.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by beeevan: 7:08pm On Oct 27, 2014
sueplumz:

A 24yrsold is very ripe to know what she wants.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Ilovenigeria(f): 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2014
aisha2:

At first i wanted to say its okay not to have a long courtship thinking you meant a year or something but 2 weeks chai, i no gree. They just want a wife any wife and have a mindset.

Please dont feel pressured, leave all those aunts, na so them use me talk now them dey use me do example as the one wey get brain.

Marriage is serious business its not an emergency Christmas deal. Please date, i dated for less than a year even though within the first 2 weeks we were talking possibility of marriage no one pushed other and issued threats. We knew we wanted to be together but still took time to date and enjoy dating and also learn to understand each other.
Thank you ma.
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godmystrength:
I haven't posted in a while because so many things were unfolded and i am yet to come to terms with that sad sad. The only update i can give for now is that the lady is leaving by month end. In fact, right now she is not in my house. She is with her sister and i am only waiting for month end so i can just pay her october salary and (depending on how i feel at that time),the money hubby is owing her...

To all those who asked after me, i am fine . Thanks for the love.... In due time, i might let you all in the full details
Madam, you are indeed a strong person and i am sure you will pull through and come out much stronger. *hugs*
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by kemachuk: 11:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 28, 2014
kemachuk:
I'm a regular reader of ds thread now I have an issue on my hand. I've bn married for 2yrs with a Beautiful daughter. I notice lately my hubby has really been chatting with his Ex. She resides in Canada. Just 2days ago she sent him snapshot of letters and pictures de exchanged way back in school. Although he doesn't know I've been reading his chats. Pls how do I handle ds?
Besides d Lady isn't married.

It is well my dear

The truth is that many men at one point in time in their life are tempted and it is the Grace of God and their integrity that stops them from falling.

Many always start off with “I can handle it” & “I know what I am doing” “we are only friends” but before they know it they are sucked up into it all, especially when the other woman’s motive may be a lot different from the innocent friendship that the man thought that he was getting into
That is why I am an advocate of look if you have a gut feeling or feel the need to. You may be catching and nipping something in the bud early on.

My advice to you is to have a chat with your husband. I don’t think that any topic should be out of bounds between husband and wife.

Explain to him that what he may feel is just innocent reminiscence with an old girlfriend, may very soon become too big for him to handle.

Explain to him that its inappropriate and ask him how he will feel if he found out that you were exchanging old correspondence with an ex.

He will probably try to put the blame on you for snooping on him, but just tell him that if you hadn’t seen the messages, it’s not likely that he would have told you anything and by the time you found out it may be too late.
You can also tell him that he too is free to check on you if he too feels suspicious about anything.

1 Like

Re: Counselling: Strictly For Couples And Intending Couples! by MadCow1: 8:47am On Oct 28, 2014
Ilovenigeria:

yeah I know. E dey pain sometimes shaaa.

Think about this carefully before you answer as I am very interested in hearing what you have to say:

The Guy... The Overseas living, Big Jeep driving, Land and house building guy that got away.. grin Still Kidding..

Knowing everything you know now; As in his life today, his wealth, his everything... and I put you in a capsule and warp you back in time, would you have followed through with the relationship and married him..

Be honest..

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (67) (Reply)

Man Catches His Wife Sleeping With Another Man; Takes A Selfie With Them (Pix) / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Married Woman Kissing Her Secret Lover Gets Stuck To His Lips(photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.