Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,516 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:01 PM

Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language (3517 Views)

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman / Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was Learning How To Code / Which Laptop Is Most Suitable For Learning Programming For Beginners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by youngestpr(m): 4:49am On Jul 27, 2014
asalimpo:

Java has GOTO but in all languages its deprecated (considered bad practce). How many programmers and open source project dyu actvely know usg deprecations like GOTO?
How dyu teach d bascs of programmg in a language tht is out of touch with modern reality without teachg all the mistakes and bad habits in that version to d students?
Y dont computer schools teach computer appreciation usg windows 95 or DOS? Afterall,its just computer appreciation.

Dont forget that windows 95 and DOS formed the basis of windows 8, we would have as well thrown away windows 8 because it is also a windows product.

Y dont drivg schools teach drivg usg peugeot 404 ,afterall the principles are d same?
Y dont schools teach kids how to write usg slates and chalk? After all the principles are d same.
Y are ppl not taught to type with manual typewriters anymore? The principles ar d same.
Sometimes cost of upgradg to better technology is high and cud justify usg old tech but in d case in point wat justication is ther?
Newer improved languages abound.
I think i disagree with the way you are looking at 'better' technology, just because some languages are popular, does not mean it should necessarily be the best. In fact the more a language is popular, the higher the risk in using it for some applications.
(http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/feb/08/java-remove-ask-jack-technology)

- they are free
- books on newer languages number in the millions.
A search for java,python,perl,ruby online and offline will produce many resources.
Compare with a search for a fortran 1958 book in d local market or online?
- modern languages ar updated frequently. Lots of open source programs for students to see and inspect.
Compare to a full scale program in BASIC,PASCAL,FORTRAN, d type used in Nigerian Unis.
- students can easily accelerate learng by studyg ahead if ample materials abound in their language.
A student startg out in say python can easily buy a book in d local market and study ahead of d lecturer,increasg his enthusiasm to learn, before d session is over he's investigatg android dev and pyQt.
Before his final year he's soliciting jobs in industry ,his years of usg a mainstream language bcomes an asset. He doesnt need to unlearn anythg.
Are you again saying open-source languages are better than those that are not open-source?

He wont b tempted to precede a comment line with REM as would b d case if he were taught with BASIC.
You can use * or ! instead of REM now and there is no difference between that and // that java is using.

Now compare to students strtg out with FORTRAN,PASCAL,BASIC
can put this as features on your c.v? Which employer will b excited about u , usg these crude technologies?
it depends on where you are applying for job. That is what some employers are looking for and I will emphasize again that I believe the knowledge of any programming language is a plus even 'ADA'

The time wasted teachg junk techs cudv been better invested.

Like i say, laziness,apathy, sheer stupidity and foolishness is wat will allow schools (of higher learng for tht matter) jump recent,superior,frequently improved,hugely popular,free alternatives to go settle for obsolete scrap and justify it.

Laziness in skill acquisition and passage is a different thing entirely. If BASIC is junks then Java too is junks smiley
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by losprince(m): 2:57pm On Jul 27, 2014
Javanian:

Please which school are you referring to here?
fed pol n******
Re: Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language by logoscope(m): 8:43am On Jul 30, 2014
dhtml: When i was telling someone just a few days back that they should not be counting qbasic, fortran as programming languages because they are profitless, there was argument.
Even the Nigerian students themselves, most of them dont research and dont know their left from their right.
Yeah yeah, We were still taught QBASIC in 100L. lol.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are There Any C# Developers In Nigeria? / Android Developers 1 / Complete COMPUTER SCIENCE Tutorial Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.