Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,749 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) (284871 Views)

Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2014
alentyno:
If u r a math grad with a tight gpa like 1st class or strong 2.1( 4.0 and above), you could go places!..... From banks to auditing firms to oils coys to infact anywhere.......my cousin a math grad(finished with 4.42 cgpa) is already in dangote.....he spent only few weeks @ home after his NYSC and boy although I don't know his actual pay package but what I can say is that guy is in money.......his company even sponsored him nd his colleagues to india recently

n u think its because of his mathematics degree?
What's the function of a mathematician in a bank?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 8:11pm On Jul 19, 2014
cutiedave: wow,dis sounds nice.bt i need ur advice on dis issue.
i got admitted into yabatech last yr to study mech.eng bt couldn't resume bcus of d poly strike. Bt during d course of d stike,i obtained d jamb form to study mech.eng in unilorin.recently i had to change to mathematics bcus i dident meet mech.eng cutoff mark.
ma question is-should i continue with mech.eng in yaba or mathematics in unilorin?And which has better job opportunities.TANX

congrats on ur admission.....nw to ur question:
1. Both has ample opportunities
2. Since u've already gotten admin into unilorin, I prefer u staying there and rewriting jamb next year I.e if u badly want to study mech eng o
3. Nowadays its nt so much of the name of ur course but rather its the class of degrEe you graduated with
4. The final decisions depend sorely on what u want! Not on what pipo say or think. IF UR HEART IS WITH MATHS PLS GO WITH IT and just make sure u blast it! Try as much as possible to be the best student in ur dept. ANYWHERE U SEE URSELF WHETHER U WANT 2 BE THERE OR NOT JUST BE THE BEST AND B4 U KNOW IT OPPORTUNITIES WILL START FLOCKING AROUND U...
Cheers

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 8:13pm On Jul 19, 2014
Evergreen123:

n u think its because of his mathematics degree?
What's the function of a mathematician in a bank?

Basic addition and subtraction accounts for deposits and withdrawls into/out of accounts.
Maths forms the basis of financial mathematics which is used to calculate (compound) interest earned on savings accounts, or for calculating repayments on loans...
Maths is used in accounting, statistics, demographics, marketing, demographics, finance, valuing company stock etc. etc., all of which are important in running a banking firm.
But of course these disiplines are not unique to the banking sector. This is true of all forms of business.

8 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Microtee(m): 8:18pm On Jul 19, 2014
What about Microbiology?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by cutiedave(m): 8:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
alentyno:

2. Since u've already gotten admin into unilorin, I prefer u staying there and rewriting jamb next year I.e if u badly want to study mech eng o
3. Nowadays its nt so much of the name of ur course but rather its the class of degrEe you graduated with
4. The final decisions depend sorely on what u want! Not on what pipo say or think. IF UR HEART IS WITH MATHS PLS GO WITH IT and just make sure u blast it! Try as much as possible to be the best student in ur dept. ANYWHERE U SEE URSELF WHETHER U WANT 2 BE THERE OR NOT JUST BE THE BEST AND B4 U KNOW IT OPPORTUNITIES WILL START FLOCKING AROUND U...
Cheers
am ok with any of dem,i just want d 1 with a better job opportunity. nd tanx for ur advice,i reali appreciate
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 8:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
Microtee: What about Microbiology?
Don't know much about it but due to the way nigeria is been run, most microbio grads tend to move into lecturing. Some work in hospital lab, agro-allied industries and even in oil coys( although very small percent)
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 8:49pm On Jul 19, 2014
cutiedave: am ok with any of dem,i just want d 1 with a better job opportunity. nd tanx for ur advice,i reali appreciate
Something tells me that u shud do 2 things:
1. Stick with mathematics
2. Ace it!
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 19, 2014
Alibaba tools add me up on klinsniper@yahoo.com
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 8:58pm On Jul 19, 2014
noordean: Mblem i tink w r on d same page here,lecturing till d end. even if it's a college of education i ll start with, i dnt mind. am a graduate of physics,oau.
Yh lecturing is not in anyway a bad job afterall hadly do u see any lecturer depending solely on his/her basic salary. They engage in contracts, they publish books and when u become a prof, there is a high chance of u being nominated for prestigious political positions by ur state government esp when u become a VC!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 9:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
klinsniper: Alibaba tools add me up on klinsniper@yahoo.com
And you purposely opened a new nairaland account few minutes ago just to post this?! U ARE A SUSPECT!! Mods pls observe this guy well abeg

2 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Samgreguc(m): 9:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
alentyno:
Unfortunately that seems to be the case........
That notwithstanding sha its pertinent to note that that figure is the actual basic salary. E.g a company like swipha offers fresh grads 60k/month for startment but there are other things like sign on bonus which will be paid to you if you can meet the target (e.g market drugs worth 1m naira within 6 months) set for you
The summary of everything is that for you to make it as a pharmacist u must be extremely hardworking so you could meet your companies target because that's where the actual money lies.... If r not the lazy u could make up to 1m naira/yr before ur basic salary sef esp thru *smiles* emm ur personal add-ons e.g selling a drug of #200 for #250
ok o. Bt, must it b marketing?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ogawisdom(m): 10:19pm On Jul 19, 2014
Hw many engineers ll b lucky enough to secure jobs in these high profile places. Most of them still end up as physics/ maths teachers in secondary schools lipsrsealed

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by b3llo(m): 12:26am On Jul 20, 2014
Can someone pls tell me how good does a biochemist get paid.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 20, 2014
Samgreguc: u mean Pharmaceutical Industries pay 42-75k/month to fresh pharm grad? Too low but, we shall go there.
and you believe the crap the op wrote? So inaccurate and annoying. How many people working in oil company studied engineering? How many people working in financial organizations studied accounting, baking/finance or economics? @op, e remain small make u make sense..

15 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 5:50am On Jul 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
ok o. Bt, must it b marketing?
No it must not be marketing.... You can go into lecturing, you can also work in hospitals (where u will be paid btw 100-150k monthly).....But the basic truth about pharmacy is that if you want to enjoy it to the fullest, you just have to strive as much as possible to practice outside nigeria preferably in the UK. Why? Because the starting salary as of now is $80,000/yr! So if you are still a student, I advice that:
1. Do all you can to come out with a delicious result! So that you get overseas scholarship easily
2. Pray pray pray!

3 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 5:57am On Jul 20, 2014
nouveaux: and you believe the crap the op wrote? So inaccurate and annoying. How many people working in oil company studied engineering? How many people working in financial organizations studied accounting, baking/finance or economics? @op, e remain small make u make sense..
Av already started thAt was the BASIC salary while quoting samegreguc above. If you know the figures so well why don't you STATE it for all to see. It may be annoying considering what pharmacy students go thru in school but THATS THE BITTER TRUTH! Afterall isn't that the topic of this thread?
As for the engineers, 70% of workers in oil coys r engineers.

6 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 6:01am On Jul 20, 2014
ogawisdom: Hw many engineers ll b lucky enough to secure jobs in these high profile places. Most of them still end up as physics/ maths teachers in secondary schools lipsrsealed
How many times will I say it! Entry into oil coys is always a game of the smartest! So whether u r capable is up up you. Please try reading d comments above

4 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by alentyno: 6:20am On Jul 20, 2014
b3llo: Can someone pls tell me how good does a biochemist get paid.
There is no way I will know exactly hw all fields pay. Nevertheless the basic truth here is that it depends on WHERE U WORK. So if as a biochemist u get employed in shell, your pay will by and large be better than ur colleaugue working @ a lab in a government hospital

Pls any biochemist in the house can help out.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Samgreguc(m): 7:20am On Jul 20, 2014
nouveaux: and you believe the crap the op wrote? So inaccurate and annoying. How many people working in oil company studied engineering? How many people working in financial organizations studied accounting, baking/finance or economics? @op, e remain small make u make sense..
whether true or false e no change my intention.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Samgreguc(m): 7:45am On Jul 20, 2014
alentyno:
No it must not be marketing.... You can go into lecturing, you can also work in hospitals (where u will be paid btw 100-150k monthly).....But the basic truth about pharmacy is that if you want to enjoy it to the fullest, you just have to strive as much as possible to practice outside nigeria preferably in the UK. Why? Because the starting salary as of now is $80,000/yr! So if you are still a student, I advice that:
1. Do all you can to come out with a delicious result! So that you get overseas scholarship easily
2. Pray pray pray!
ok
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ogawisdom(m): 7:49am On Jul 20, 2014
alentyno:
How many times will I say it! Entry into oil coys is always a game of the smartest! So whether u r capable is up up you. Please try reading d comments above

If dt is d case then engineers on average may not be the highest paid in nigeria esp at entry level.

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by akereconfi: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
Proudly Computer Systems (Forensics and Security) with a Certificate in certified ethical hacking.

I have this passion of working in the armed forces.
Computer Forensic Detective is my vision

4 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
Samgreguc: u mean Pharmaceutical Industries pay 42-75k/month to fresh pharm grad? Too low but, we shall go there.
. Do your research well for pharmacists
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by chinex276(m): 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
noordean: Mblem i tink w r on d same page here,lecturing till d end.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by makkitush: 2:29pm On Jul 20, 2014
adeoladrg: #TeamPharmacy
yes ooh.
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
Aviation (anything aviation) especially if you attend the school (piloting, mech engineering for aviation, avionics, Planning cool) You will earn a lott more than the average graduate. A fresh graduate pilot takes a minimum of 750 in most companies (my company at least)...

2 Likes

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
[size=8pt][/size] Source?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Mayor21(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
What about Biologist?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Shehucom(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
where do u grade agriculture?
Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by ROCKJ1(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
Op you overlooked a very high paying profession that controls one of the necessities of life which is Shelter. A profession that starts paying u big once you have finished your training as a staff and become an entrepreneur... it is no other than ESTATE MANAGEMENT.

1 Like

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by bbdrown: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
alentyno:

Cheers
the number 3 point summarises it all. All u need is first class/2-1, and a young age. U cld work almost anywhere as a graduate trainee...esp in banks,fcmg,audit,telecom firms, etc. Engineering courses get more preference though. Nice thread!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) by Syenite(m): 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
alentyno:
Geologists in Oil nd gas coys like total chevron and d likes earn btw 200-250k monthly @entry levels

Lie! If u don't know say u dnt know. Geologists and engineers are put on same pay level.

Besides some oil companies (indigenous) pay far below what u mentioned especially at entry level.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Human Resource Professionals: / Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.