Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Elusive Qualities Of Good Writing That Can’t Be Taught By Glen Long - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Elusive Qualities Of Good Writing That Can’t Be Taught By Glen Long (613 Views)

He Taught Me.... A Thief Taught By His Dad / The Day MTN taught me the Lesson of my Life ( Short Story) / How To Establish Good Writing Habits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Elusive Qualities Of Good Writing That Can’t Be Taught By Glen Long by TRWConsult(m): 6:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
While study, practice and feedback will improve your technical skills as a writer, some of the essential qualities of good writing are more elusive:

 Empathy – the ability to put yourself in the mind of your reader or your characters. Empathy allows the blogger or freelance writer to connect powerfully with their chosen audience. It helps the novelist create believable characters who are nothing like their creator.

 Imagination – the unique ideas and connections that exist below the surface of your writing. Imagination helps the fantasy writer create unfamiliar yet believable worlds. It helps a non-fiction author view an old problem from a fresh perspective. It gives the short story writer the premise for her next tale.

 Passion – a love of language, a desire to communicate, and a delight in telling stories. Passion is the creative energy that carries you through times of uncertainty and rejection. It’s the voice that says quietly and consistently “be a writer.”

These are the qualities that help you capture the heads and hearts of your audience.
These are the qualities that create a unique and urgent voice that doesn’t need to fight for attention.
These are the qualities that separate the good writers from the tragic wannabes.
But if empathy, imagination and passion can’t be learned, how are they acquired?

To be continued...
Re: Elusive Qualities Of Good Writing That Can’t Be Taught By Glen Long by PrettySpicey(f): 7:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
I am working hard on all three but really struggling with Passion - at times communication seems to elude me undecided

(1) (Reply)

True Facts Of World & The Hereafter / Husband Scarcity..!!! / What Won't I Give Up For You!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.